Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Augus posted:

that isn't canon, nobody would actually marry lorenz

nice, a new thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Augus posted:

that obviously isn't canon, nobody would ever marry lorenz in a million years

Something we should all be able to agree on.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I also wouldn't marry anyone to Manuela so they're perfect for each other.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Marry Manuela to Ferdinand, not for Ferdinand's benefit, but so she can be the goddamned prime minister she's always destined to be

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

KittyEmpress posted:

I also wouldn't marry anyone to Manuela so they're perfect for each other.

I dunno, I just did Manuela's A+ support with Seteth and it had me cracking up. Manuela blatantly puts the moves on Seteth... and it works.

Seteth might be my favorite character in Three Houses.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Seteth might be my favorite character in Three Houses.

:yeah:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Seteth is my 5th favorite character and 3rd favorite boy, but he is my favorite dad.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I didn't realize Edelgard had missed the registration date to run for archbishop.

Sure, she has flaws (I am legitimately surprised no one has brought up her tendency to edit the truth) but I'm not exactly certain how else one is supposed to depose an immortal god-queen with a private military force and the ability to order the continent into holy war.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You all are getting really mad about a janky JRPG with a slapdash plot. Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude with vs without Byleth are fundamentally different characters. Byleth is a magic plot device whose presence causes the lords to almost completely lose or at a minimum be unburdened by their own character flaws and go on to forge a world with a storybook happy ending. Conversely, all three lords without Byleth ultimately succumb to their issues and cause a lot of unnecessary death and suffering before dying or being shuffled out of the conflict.

Personally I think Edelgard is the most compelling of the three lords, but trying to argue that her ending is better than Dimitri's ending because "feudalism bad and Dimitri is crazy" is loving asinine because the story explicitly spells out that in his ending he is a very good king and the whole continent is better off under his and Byleth's joint rule. Likewise Edelgard's ending sidesteps all the consequences you'd actually face dismantling a millennium-old religion worshiped by an entire continent and the social paradigm of nobility, and Claude's just assumes Byleth is an enlightened dictator who never goes astray ever. All the endings are flawed if you scrutinize them enough, which is why scrutinizing them is dumb.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if you scrutinize a bit harder you'll see that edelgard's ending is the best one because it is the most gay one

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Sydin posted:

Personally I think Edelgard is the most compelling of the three lords, but trying to argue that her ending is better than Dimitri's ending because "feudalism bad and Dimitri is crazy" is loving asinine because the story explicitly spells out that in his ending he is a very good king and the whole continent is better off under his and Byleth's joint rule. Likewise Edelgard's ending sidesteps all the consequences you'd actually face dismantling a millennium-old religion worshiped by an entire continent and the social paradigm of nobility, and Claude's just assumes Byleth is an enlightened dictator who never goes astray ever. All the endings are flawed if you scrutinize them enough, which is why scrutinizing them is dumb.

:emptyquote:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

Seteth is my 5th favorite character and 3rd favorite boy, but he is my favorite dad.

Anyway my quick top 5 is:

1. Seteth
2. Manuela
3. Dedue
4. Dorothea
5. Flayn

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Augus posted:

if you scrutinize a bit harder you'll see that edelgard's ending is the best one because it is the most gay one

:yeah:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Augus posted:

:hmmyes:

Coincidentally the Black Eagles are also the most gay house, making them the best.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I didn't realize Edelgard had missed the registration date to run for archbishop.

Sure, she has flaws (I am legitimately surprised no one has brought up her tendency to edit the truth) but I'm not exactly certain how else one is supposed to depose an immortal god-queen with a private military force and the ability to order the continent into holy war.

I mean this is true, in the story as written she didn't have a good alternative. Also the opportunity to make Fantasy Lenin your gay wife is amazing tbh.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, I'm not really sure what Edelgard is really supposed to have done to address her difficulties and the difficulties of the continent that don't involve either a war or basically giving up all chance of success.

Even "be more trusting" is only really an option on the paths where she already has Byleth as a teacher. Opening up to Dimitri was never really a viable option, at least about her secret plans.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

blizzardvizard posted:

Anyway my quick top 5 is:

1. Seteth
2. Manuela
3. Dedue
4. Dorothea
5. Flayn

a Good List

I think mine would be

1. Dorothea
2. Manuela
3. Edelgard
4. Felix
5. Ferdinand

but i may have forgotten some essential characters

edit: gently caress i forgot hubert. hubert goes in 4, knocks felix down to 5

also the great tragedy of the game is explicitly that if only the three lords had trusted each other they could probably have worked out a way to reform the continent together, or at least find a solution that didn't involve killing each other, but none of them were ever going to be able to do that

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Off the top of my head top 5 chars
1. Edelgard
2. Bernie
3. Ferdinand von Aegir
4. Marianne
5. Hubert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4T-eEM00DA

Eimi fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 9, 2020

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

professor metis posted:

also the great tragedy of the game is explicitly that if only the three lords had trusted each other they could probably have worked out a way to reform the continent together, or at least find a solution that didn't involve killing each other, but none of them were ever going to be able to do that

Honestly, the thing is that for Edelgard she has no reason to believe that trusting Dimitri is worth the risk, because he's way more likely to blow the gaff too soon and if he does that it's all over.

Trusting Claude is theoretically a better proposition because he is all about Edelgard's poo poo, but he wears a sign around his neck that says DON'T TRUST ME so people rarely do. (Ironically, he is lying.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
If nothing else, I still think Edelgard could have killed off the Agarthans by going "Hey, Dimitri. Wanna know who's responsible for the Tragedy of Duscur? THESE FUCKERS!"

My top five so far would probably be:

1. Seteth
2. Dedue
3. Marianne
4. Annette
5. Ingrid

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

my fav character is petra for the very scientific reason that I guessed her dialogue choices right more often than anyone else

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
1. Hilda
2. Claude
3. Edelgard
4. Felix
5. Marianne

I've gotten to the third to last Chapter on NG+ Maddening Blue Lions and am hitting a wall in a way that didn't happen on CF and GD. Critical hits from siege tomes are eating all my Divine pulses and I just can't seem to press forward to eliminate ballisticians and siege tome havers without getting slaughtered.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 9, 2020

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm still amazed that Three Houses made me like the edgy swordmaster character. I absolutely hate every version of that character, but Felix??? Felix is good.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Best characters are clearly

1) Ferdinand
2) Seteth
3) Edelgard
4) Flayn
5) Dorothea

Felix, Hilda and Dedue get honorable mentions

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

1. Caspar
2. Ashe
3. Dimitri
4. Claude
5. Dorothea

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

professor metis posted:

I'm still amazed that Three Houses made me like the edgy swordmaster character. I absolutely hate every version of that character, but Felix??? Felix is good.

e. Top five is probably:

1. Felix/Dorothea (don't make me choose)
2. Edelgard
3. Petra
4. Seteth
5. Hilda

Sydin fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 9, 2020

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

Shinji117 posted:

I mean "tyrant leading cults of personality who do not know or care why anyone opposes them" is basically monarchy 101 and Dimitri is pretty solidly into the whole "monarchy" dealio. At least Edelgard steps down as "tyrant" a la Cincinnatus after trying to implement required-for-Fodlan-social-reforms, while Dimitri...well, huzzah for Kingdoms, aristocracy and Crests, let's all hope none of the absolute monarch's descendants turn out to be unfit to rule in however many years they are in power after the story ends (or get TWSTD), I guess. Also, I find the idea of trying to portray Edelgard as "convinced of their own righteousness that anyone who does oppose them must be deluded or evil" (see her discussions on Claude which basically comes to Claude is not evil, nor deluded, just with clashing ambitions) is pretty out there. She sees some of her foes as deluded (Catherine, Dimitri) or malevolant (TWSTD, Rhea), but she absolutely recognizes that some people she's fighting are neither (Claude+Alliance, Almyrians etc).

This feels a bit disingenuous, since Dimitri's ending explictly says, "After his coronation, Dimitri spent his life reforming and ruling justly over Fódlan. He focused particularly on improving living situations for orphans and improving foreign relations. He was known for listening intently to the voices of all, and for instituting a new form of government in which the people were free to be active participants. He lived for his people and alongside them, and was thusly dubbed the Savior King."

So the idea of it being huzzah for monarchy and aristocracy seems a bit of a stretch, since empowering the people necessarily involves placing constraints on the nobles. I mean hell, Edelgard explicitly does not abolish the nobility in any sense, noble titles and territories still exist in the CW endings. Now, I'm not saying that a constitutional monarchy or whatever Dimitri actually does in practice is the best outcome, but it feels odd to call it business as usual either. You could say "Ah well Edelgard's Fodlan is clearly a place where meritocracy is valued but in practice this means that the favorites of whatever emperor happens to be in charge are elevated to high office" based on how CW goes, but that would be a pretty uncharitable reading too.

willing to settle fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 9, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

no I mean like the hilariously evil bad guys in fe4/5. like those priests that want lief dead
Oh yeah, those guys are wack.

Also if we're doing Top 5 lists.
  • Dorothea
  • Hubert
  • Claude
  • Petra
  • Dedue
Honorable mentions: Seteth, Raphael and FERDINAND VON AEGIR

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

1. Dorothea
2. Edelgard
3. Shamir
4. Dedue
5. Marianne

Honorable mentions to Bernie, Petra, Hubert, Annette, Lysithea, Felix, and Dimitri.

I legitimately like nearly every playable character. I'm not crazy about Cyril and Catherine, but I admit they have some great supports.

Even as far as Rhea is concerned, I think she's a great villain and I can still sympathize with her to an extent.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Fernie in english is quite muted compared to his japanese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ6V_EIXrLQ

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

1. Mercedes
2. Dedue
3. Dorothea
4. Dimitri
5. Seteth

Ferdinand is my honorary mention, but holy crap Dedue? He's so sweet. I adore every one of his supports, he is so calm and lovely to everyone he meets.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Rand Brittain posted:

Trusting Claude is theoretically a better proposition because he is all about Edelgard's poo poo, but he wears a sign around his neck that says DON'T TRUST ME so people rarely do. (Ironically, he is lying.)

There is literally a scene in part one of Verdant Wind where Claude tells Edelgard "you tell me all your secrets, I'll tell you all of mine". She rejects it because she doesn't trust him. :v:

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Melomane Mallet posted:

There is literally a scene in part one of Verdant Wind where Claude tells Edelgard "you tell me all your secrets, I'll tell you all of mine". She rejects it because she doesn't trust him. :v:

Wasn't it more "if you want to know my deal, swear to support me in my goals before you know what they are", or was that a different scene?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i think the initial offer is what Melomane says but when Edelgard approaches him for a second time he ups the stakes because it's becoming clearer that there's a lot of poo poo going down and he can't afford to share what he knows.

this is further amplified by the golden deer route doing a bit of misdirection to imply that claude might be the flame emperor, even if it never really commits to the concept hard enough for it to be a believable twist.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Also Claude is a known poisoner in an era that values chivalry.

This is an excellent way to be completely mistrusted.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Given that Edelgard's #2 is Hubert (who is almost definitely willing to poison people), I think her inability to know Claude's agenda might be a slightly more pressing concern for her.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 9, 2020

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

ungulateman posted:

i think the initial offer is what Melomane says but when Edelgard approaches him for a second time he ups the stakes because it's becoming clearer that there's a lot of poo poo going down and he can't afford to share what he knows.

this is further amplified by the golden deer route doing a bit of misdirection to imply that claude might be the flame emperor, even if it never really commits to the concept hard enough for it to be a believable twist.

All right, I just rewatched it ('Crests: the Good and the Bad' in the event viewer), we were both a bit off. They both needle each other about secrets then it's Claude who says he'll share his secrets if Edelgard helps him.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Have people considered that Edelgard good because gay tho

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Remember that Hubie also goes behind her back on several occasions (and probably way more offscreen, given the implications that he's been Edelgard's "bad guy" for a long time). Like again: I love my murder goth for who he is as a character (he's basically like if Tharja and Frederick had a baby), but let's not pretend that he isn't an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah, it's part of why he's such a good character, but I'm pretty sure Edelgard knows that his methods are less than honorable and that in and of itself is not a problem for her.