Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, I was going to say. Dhawan’s Master has a really short fuse compared to Simm, his closest equivalent. But his charming side is much closer to Ainley or Delgado. When Simm tried being nice, it always felt fake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah even in part one he seems pissed that the Doctor rumbles his identity. Almost entirely because it was mere seconds before he got to break the illusion himself. And that was when he was at the top of his game.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I'm pretty sure Delgado and Three had this conversation 7 or 8 times.

And Ainley with whoever would listen.

"I'm indestructible; the whole universe knows that!"

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Pete McTighe tries, fails to write an episode with a dumber title than Kerblam!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The bit where the Master storms into the big hangar just loving PISSED that he's spent 77 years slowboating to get back to this spot and don't you loving humans do anything else goddammit I just got back here :argh: was just great.

Made even better of course by the fact that 2 seconds later the Doctor shows up and spoils all his plans :allears:

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Jerusalem posted:

The bit where the Master storms into the big hangar just loving PISSED that he's spent 77 years slowboating to get back to this spot and don't you loving humans do anything else goddammit I just got back here :argh: was just great.

Made even better of course by the fact that 2 seconds later the Doctor shows up and spoils all his plans :allears:

Felt very Curse of the Fatal Death, that - just needed a few more long trips and bribing the architect :)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

Every time a villain gets rid of the Doctor, they stop to gloat and bask in their victory, and then the Doctor saunters in, having already stopped their plan before it even began

Cue apoplectic rage while mentally screaming obscenities at time travel as a mechanic being used right for a change

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Vinylshadow posted:

Every time a villain gets rid of the Doctor, they stop to gloat and bask in their victory, and then the Doctor saunters in, having already stopped their plan before it even began

But enough about YouTube videos proclaiming progressives ruined the show.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I kind of think it'd be hilarious for Dhawan's Master maybe deciding to piggyback of his past-self-as-Mister Saxon's paradox machine in 2007 to try and change stuff, only to get stopped by the Doctor springing Missy from her cell in the same time period help stop him. Although perhaps rather convoluted.

But they've not got a free excuse for him to show up in historical episodes set between 1943 and the present.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

I kind of think it'd be hilarious for Dhawan's Master maybe deciding to piggyback of his past-self-as-Mister Saxon's paradox machine in 2007 to try and change stuff, only to get stopped by the Doctor springing Missy from her cell in the same time period help stop him. Although perhaps rather convoluted.

But they've not got a free excuse for him to show up in historical episodes set between 1943 and the present.

Kinda like that joke of the Doctor occasionally pointing her Sonic over her shoulder to thwart whatever plan [Villain the Week] is trying to set up in the background, except this time it's the Master trying to hitch a ride through time

...no wait, Jack already did that in Series 3

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I miss Jack. :saddowns:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Barrowman has said he'll come back any time, they just haven't called him.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Barrowman has said he'll come back any time, they just haven't called him.

Yeah, just look at how enthusiastic he is for Torchwood, he's written stuff himself now, and roped both his sister and Gareth David-Lloyd into writing for it too.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Master is a Fixed Point In Time, change my mind :colbert:

Jerusalem posted:

Title names for 4 and 5 are EXTREMELY intriguing!

Can't wait to hear Whittaker speak Judoon

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
oh good, I'm relieved people generally liked Spyfall as much as I did, I was worried the general consensus would be negative because the two people I follow on Twitter who are still watching hated it.

I think there are still issues that will probably plague the show as long as Chibnall's the showrunner, but it's easier to deal with because he's fixed some of the other problems, and we can see what was a matter of failure of execution vs. what is just how Chibnall rolls.

I think that, although it perhaps could have flowed better, the editing was more propulsive, and the direction was largely terrific. I still love Akinola's atmospheric music, but this was a two-parter that could've used Murray Gold's bombast in the music. not that the music is bad, but it doesn't commit to the genre homage as much as the other elements of the show do.

what I really liked was that the Doctor finally seems like a three dimensional character. I was waiting in vain last season for her to get a good foil, and WELL NOW. Chibnall must have realized he wrote himself into a corner, and the only way out was The Master. and it largely works. The Doctor reacts differently to the Master than either Ten or Twelve, inarguably, in ways that confirm and clarify her character. For one, she has little to no patience with his bullshit. She's initially shocked at his appearance, but only because she realizes he must have been impersonating O for a LONG time. everything else he does, it pisses her off. She's sick of his bullshit. and she effectively utilizes her knowledge of his psychology to thoroughly wreck him, TWICE. she owns him, leaves him to live out 75+ years, and then when he gets back to see his plan to completion, SURPRISE. that's just ruthlessly cold.

which I think honestly defines her, and if I'm right, is going to be part of her characterization. That is, she's charming and empathetic and warm in most circumstances, but with her back against the wall, and her friends in danger, she'll not only destroy someone, but do it twice. I think the one thing that really foreshadows this, other than the rather nasty (but fair) trap she set for Tim Shaw in TWWFTE, is her confrontation with Krasko in Rosa, where she thoroughly clowns him.

she's kind of an inversion of Twelve. while he was cold on the outside, and had a sweet center, she's sweet on the outside, and inside, well, you really, really don't want to see that if you want to have a good time, and not in fact the Worst Time. but she keeps most of that hidden, and her friends absolutely are not aware of what she's capable of. with the end of the episode setting up that they're (and especially Graham) starting to question who they've been traveling with, I'm hoping we get to a point where they see her for who she actually is, and have to decide if they're cool with that.

also god, Sacha Dhawan is great. he's just having so much fun, from the beginning. The Master should always be fun! Evil and terrifying, but also absurd and theatrical. and he just goes for it.

I'm not even mad at any perception that Missy's redemption was reversed. Chibnall is entitled to do his own thing, and I want to see where he goes with it before judging too harshly. some people are mad and accusing him of just erasing what Moffat did out of disrespect. I think those people are burned by what JJ Abrams did to Star Wars, more than anything else. I don't think Chibnall disrespects Moffat with this, but we'll see how this whole Timeless Child thing goes. neither Davies nor Moffat had the sheer chutzpah to seriously alter Time Lord lore, so this is a new avenue for the revival. did...did Chibnall read 7th Doctor novels?

anyway, I'm optimistic for the time being, but also totally prepared to have all my hopes and dreams crushed by Chibnall.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Spatula City posted:

I think the one thing that really foreshadows this is her confrontation with Krasko in Rosa, where she thoroughly clowns him.

Yeah I really love that encounter. Their first meeting she lets him feel like he's either on the same level as her or actually has some advantage, and then when they next meet she just demolishes him. That scene of her goading him into choking her and then staring down at him with amused contempt in the immediate aftermath is fantastic. He was somebody nasty and cruel who always defaulted to violence and rage, and she demonstrates how even with access to futuristic technology and knowledge he's still at heart a cowardly bully who automatically lashes out at those who don't immediately capitulate to him even when he knows it is going to backfire on him.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I re-watched Whittakers first episode last night, I forgot how cool and competent Yaz is. Please give her something to do.

As far as reversing Moffat goes, I'm glad the Master is evil again, but not glad Gallifrey is destroyed again. Surely someone has an interesting story to tell set there.

I've kind of come round to agreeing with the people that say the Doctor abandoning the Master to the mercies of the SS, taking advantage of him being South Asian in appearance and framing him for being a spy, in an episode featuring a guest star South Asian historical figure who was tortured and murdered by the Nazis for being a spy, is in poor taste.

But basically yeah I still really enjoyed the two parter. And lol at people complaining about the Master being overused and saying he shouldn't be back so soon. I want the Master in every story this series like it's loving 1972.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BF writer Alan Barnes:

https://twitter.com/senrab_nala/status/1216047037214593025?s=20

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's an educational program!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
They're only Jaffa cakes if they come from the Israeli city of Jaffa; otherwise, they're sparkling orange biscuits.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TinTower posted:

They're only Jaffa cakes if they come from the Israeli city of Jaffa; otherwise, they're sparkling orange biscuits cakes.

There was a court case and everything.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t even know if they exist anymore but the raspberry and lime Jaffa cakes were incredible and I really miss them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’ve seen both raspberry and plum ones in Lidl in Germany, and they’re both great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Jaffa cakes were probably the best of British candy/cake/cookies/whatever I've tried. Jelly Babies and Jammie Dodgers were both gross.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

Jelly Babies.

I think Jelly Babies have gotten worse over the years.
They used to have more flavour and more bendy, now they are more stiff like.
Must have changed the ingredients a few times.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TinTower posted:

They're only Jaffa cakes if they come from the Israeli city of Jaffa; otherwise, they're sparkling orange biscuits.

The only official ones come from Dakara

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Azhais posted:

The only official ones come from Dakara

Indeed.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Social media gets leagues better when you just unfollow any official tv show/movie pages/accounts and totally divorce yourself from the toxic shitheads that thrive in those comments.

Just follow cool fans and the actors.

This makes all of Star Wars better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, the part in Husbands of River Song where she goes the eff off in front of the Doctor before she knows it's him is really kind of sad. But very sweet when she figures it outs.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Man, the part in Husbands of River Song where she goes the eff off in front of the Doctor before she knows it's him is really kind of sad. But very sweet when she figures it outs.

"My entire understanding of physical space has been transformed! Three-dimensional Euclidean geometry has been torn up, thrown into the air, and snogged to death! My grasp of the universal constants of physical reality has been changed... forever. Sorry... I've always wanted to see that done properly."

The fact he literally looks at the camera cracks me up every time - I never get tired of seeing the actors walk that line between character and themselves

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vinylshadow posted:

"My entire understanding of physical space has been transformed! Three-dimensional Euclidean geometry has been torn up, thrown into the air, and snogged to death! My grasp of the universal constants of physical reality has been changed... forever. Sorry... I've always wanted to see that done properly."

The fact he literally looks at the camera cracks me up every time - I never get tired of seeing the actors walk that line between character and themselves

Oh that scene is good too but I'm talking about when she goes off about how loving the Doctor is like loving the stars. It's my favorite River moment. And many will recall I was not a big fan of her.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I always tear up at the moment she realises and he gets to pull the ‘Hello sweetie’. :kimchi:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

I always tear up at the moment she realises and he gets to pull the ‘Hello sweetie’. :kimchi:

It's so good. I'm just youtubing clips looking for bright and happy moments since I'm having a sad day. I also watched a Nine compilation and man, the gravity and presence he brought to the role still makes me want more.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Any excuse for this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZW5tWXvn7A

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Seriously, I had my issues with the way Moffat wrote her at times, but that speech and then the Doctor's pitch-perfect response (and of course, her horror at realizing she's finally let the screen drop in front of him) is just wonderful.

Anyway, new episode in like 5 minutes! :woop:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I very nearly forgot it was on this week!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is this an intergalactic timeshare? :3:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 12, 2020

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

SiKboy posted:

I very nearly forgot it was on this week!

I did forget until reading the last two posts!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

When you have a box which can go literally anywhere in time in space, and no need for any kind of job, the concept of taking a holiday is surely largely redundant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Garos Studio does good stuff.

My favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKV_-2IjTmg&list=PLVGpJFFiIfZcm5O5Ct0hSdCz16iI3z3zO&index=35