Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Buy one of those cloth photo cubes and a decent light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've got one. My photos look passable but they are still nowhere as good as I'd like

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, product photography is not a difficult art. Not to say you're going to instantly get people knocking down your door wanting your services but with $50 and a few hours of digging around on the internet it's totally reasonable to get something a step above.

A couple clamp lights from home depot and a large sheet of white paper is a start, even if all you have is a camera phone.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Waltzing Along posted:

That's part of the reason I don't think Ideas should take CAD submissions. If the builder can't be assed to build it, why should Lego accept the submission? Also, when something is actually built, you get a better sense of how it actually works.
listen u bougie gently caress;

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Synthbuttrange posted:

put all the pieces in one pile.

Good call

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The 31105 Toy Store has half a dozen advent calendar style builds and it's adorable. Nice looking building too.

Otterspace
Jul 13, 2006

This is not a good idea.
Anyone familiar with LDD? I'm using version 4.3 and keep having trouble simply putting a 1x1 brick on top of a plate- it wants to put it underneath the plate. Is there any way I can force it to connect to the top?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
LDD is super outdated. Studio 2.0 from Bricklink is the way to go these days. And it might as well be official, what with Lego buying Bricklink.

Otterspace
Jul 13, 2006

This is not a good idea.
That is way nicer! Thanks much my friend.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

w00tazn posted:

Ah sounds like it was purely a CAD designed Lego model where physics didn't apply and it was obvious that the creator never built it physically.

I would have assumed TLG would use more red technic pieces to build the tower rather than using bricks which would have helped significantly.

The problems you describe seem easy enough to fix given some creativity and availability of parts, hmmm.

Yes, I assume it was. The fixes aren't that hard, if you have the pieces. The lower structure/foundation simply needs a solid structure where different plates rest on, on each corner, and not only on three, or on in case on only two.

The tower needs a bit more work, but I assume a couple of lift arms could make it rock solid. If it ever tumbles over (and I'm kinda sure it will some day), maybe I'll rebuild it with the proper fixes. My advice is: if you want to build it, bring couple of pieces and fix the foundation and the lower part of the tower. I think if those two are pretty solid, everything that comes above it gets much easier (apart from the crane, but as I said, the fix is easy...the problem is it's a pretty long crane, with it's center of weight somewhere close to the middle, which you are supposed to place with two 2x4 plates on the far end on two other 2x4 plates (sitting on a small turntable or howether that part is called) on a tower which is a meter high, is whobbly and sits on a whobbly base, where you can be certain that if you press down on them hard, everything will simply explode, and even if it doesn't, the offset center of gravity of the crane will pull it out of those couple studs within minutes, having a pretty heave crane tumbling down a whobbly tower into a whobbly base, taking the attached Saturn V with it.

It's still a pretty cool MoC when it just sits there, though :)

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
https://www.promobricks.de/lego-ideas-21321-iss-signing-event-in-nuernberg/92004/

Final of the ISS, releasing in February looks like at 70 euros.

I'm a big space fan, but that thing looks like a nightmare to display.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also, it really dates it with a tiny space shuttle.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
There will be rioting in the tiny plastic streets if those solar panels aren't printed.

Here's a rehost in case of takedown:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Ideas sets have been 100% printed thus far right?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

I feel like fishing store had some stickers. But it has been a while. The latest space sets had some printed solar panels.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Scipiotik posted:

I feel like fishing store had some stickers. But it has been a while.

Yes it did.

I thought the Caterham had some too but a cursory check seems to indicate it was all printed.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Soccer stadium leaked.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7HkslfpOJ_/?igshid=1hb09z8hsgaqu

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Oh man the ISS is wonderful, but that poo poo needs to get hung from the ceiling.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
That soccer stadium looks rad as hell too bad I don't have an apartment that makes sense for displaying it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I kinda didn't get a sense of scale till I looked at the part count. Dang.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

FBS posted:

Ideas sets have been 100% printed thus far right?

Dinosaur bones had stickers. Was still cool and fun.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I guess lego stores did a free build-and-take yesterday for adults. It was a news stand. I'm bummed I missed it, that's exactly the kind of set I'd pay for.

Link with pics and images of the instructions...
https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-newsstand-review-building-instructions/

Edit: If anybody finds a part list for it, let me know. I'm not super enthused about bricklinking piece by piece off the image.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ah poo poo that was for adults? I thought those are for kids only.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

deoju posted:

I guess lego stores did a free build-and-take yesterday for adults. It was a news stand. I'm bummed I missed it, that's exactly the kind of set I'd pay for.

Link with pics and images of the instructions...
https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-newsstand-review-building-instructions/

Edit: If anybody finds a part list for it, let me know. I'm not super enthused about bricklinking piece by piece off the image.

Oh that’s great, I love little sets like that. drat shame. :/

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I get releasing a Football stadium but a specific one like that?
Football fans are some of the most fanatic people in the sports fan world and Manchester United is very much a love it or hate it team.
Anyone that would consider themselves a football fan and at the same time not being a ManU supporter would not touch that set with a 10 foot pole.
And people that do NOT care about football are probably not in the market for a 4000 piece set?

Its not like Lego is an American company and does not know these things so i have no idea whats going on with that stadium set.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

A football stadium? Now that's a good decision for a new product, Lego! Now make another castle series with knights and horses and stuff. I demand it.

e: oh, and an arcade as the next modular, thx.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Carbohydrates posted:

There will be rioting in the tiny plastic streets if those solar panels aren't printed.

Here's a rehost in case of takedown:

Post on Reddit says they'll be printed and gave part names. No idea how credible it is.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Scipiotik posted:

I feel like fishing store had some stickers. But it has been a while. The latest space sets had some printed solar panels.

It's been a long time since I built it, but IIRC it's exactly one (the sign over the door, IIRC?), and all the rest were prints (money tiles, roof "wood" tiles etc.)?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I just realised Lego entered a partnership with Manchester United a few months ago, that explains them releasing that stadium.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Whole lot of bricks wasted on that piece of poo poo stadium

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

tuo posted:

It's been a long time since I built it, but IIRC it's exactly one (the sign over the door, IIRC?), and all the rest were prints (money tiles, roof "wood" tiles etc.)?
The strategy on the old fishing house was to add some stickers for flair and detail, but nothing essential, so you could leave them off and not really harm the aesthetic of the build. The sign over the door was a print, as were the fishing hook boxes and all the returning prints from older sets (newspaper tile, post-its, coins, wood planks, etc). The stickers were for the newspapers covering the window, the wood textures on the roof, the sticker on the side door, and maybe some others - I'm not looking at mine right now.

As mentioned, the Caterham 7 had no stickers. It had 22 printed pieces, most of which were new and unique to that set. If a sub-$100 Ideas set can get away with that, there was no drat reason for an $800 Millenium Falcon to have stickers. That still bothers me.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Carbohydrates posted:

The strategy on the old fishing house was to add some stickers for flair and detail, but nothing essential, so you could leave them off and not really harm the aesthetic of the build. The sign over the door was a print, as were the fishing hook boxes and all the returning prints from older sets (newspaper tile, post-its, coins, wood planks, etc). The stickers were for the newspapers covering the window, the wood textures on the roof, the sticker on the side door, and maybe some others - I'm not looking at mine right now.

As mentioned, the Caterham 7 had no stickers. It had 22 printed pieces, most of which were new and unique to that set. If a sub-$100 Ideas set can get away with that, there was no drat reason for an $800 Millenium Falcon to have stickers. That still bothers me.

If I'm at one thing certain (without getting up and going to my Lego room) is that the wood things on the roof were prints (unless we are talking about different parts...I mean the 1x3 tiles). I was pleasently surprised at the low amount of stickers for this set. I guess I have to check again.

I stand corrected. I thought about the 1x3 tiles (the planks you mentioned) which were printed, but there were other wood parts which actually were stickers. You are totally correct.

tuo fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 10, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The ideas sets are a limited special run, UCS stuff is "merely" high part count stuff that sticks around for years. That's my guess anyways.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

The ideas sets are a limited special run, UCS stuff is "merely" high part count stuff that sticks around for years. That's my guess anyways.

Saturn V stuck around for years and has tons of printed parts. But then the lunar lander has tons of stickers.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Cojawfee posted:

Saturn V stuck around for years and has tons of printed parts. But then the lunar lander has tons of stickers.

Lunar Lander wasn't an ideas set

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Mega Construx Castle Greyskull is on Walmart for 129.97, for those interested. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mega-Construx-Probuilder-Masters-of-the-Universe-Castle-Greyskull/521981514

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Just looking around my office:

Voltron, Central Perk, Fishing Store, Big Bang Theory all have stickers. Wall-E, Ghostbusters, Ship in a Bottle, Saturn V, Women of NASA and TRON: Legacy all do not.

ISS will make a nice addition to the my space shelf, although the STS looks like a repeat of the one from the Women of NASA set.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh man, the water stage of Ninjago city. :stare:

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Speaking of stickers. It appears the Chinese new year sets for 2020 have no stickers and a ridiculous amount of one off prints. Definitely looking to get them once there is any sort of worthwhile promotional items from lego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm not condemning anyone's tastes, but I just cannot see anything nice about that ISS. Maybe its just the pics but it looks chintzy and uninteresting.