Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It's the Lawnmower Man of video game movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's the Lawnmower Man of video game movies.

But does it have a weird & awkward VR sex scene?

(Asking for a friend.)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Nutsngum posted:

I kind of find it baffling when they create a movie that is so far removed from the original source material as to be basically its own property in the first place.

Those licenses cost money, you might as well farking use it properly otherwise just churn out a bunch of garbage that will make money anyway.

Often its a case that if you arent using the license the original owner can argue to take it back since youre just squatting on it so theyll push out another script sitting around and change a few names to be close enough to legally count.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

See also: the Roger Corman Fantastic 4 movie.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Marcade posted:

See also: the Roger Corman Fantastic 4 movie.

I've never gotten around to watching it, but supposedly it's the most faithful adaptation they've ever had.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
It's a weird flick where it is staying close to the source material, but the production quality is sub-80's made-for-tv levels.

The only thing I remember about that film was the Invisible Woman was played by Rebecca Staab, mainly because her last name was funny to me.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Also the single best Doctor Doom costume ever used in live action.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Nutsngum posted:

I kind of find it baffling when they create a movie that is so far removed from the original source material as to be basically its own property in the first place.

Those licenses cost money, you might as well farking use it properly otherwise just churn out a bunch of garbage that will make money anyway.

I still don't understand why they made a movie based on the Battleships board game, or the one on the Rampage video game. What target demographic were fans of those things, and a big enough group to warrant the licensing to lure them in?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Speaking of weird action movies based on children's toy franchises

The hi Joe film is bad, but the action is choreographed so as to look like a child is playing with toys

The way keeps flip over, jets just pull 180° turns and shoot down missiles

The movie just didn't go far enough

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Gromit posted:

I still don't understand why they made a movie based on the Battleships board game, or the one on the Rampage video game. What target demographic were fans of those things, and a big enough group to warrant the licensing to lure them in?

Squatting on IPs so nobody else gets to use them, just in case. Copyright law is fun.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Gromit posted:

Battleship is a pretty fun movie and is actually kind of thoughtful in how it portrays the enemy.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

Jestery posted:

Speaking of weird action movies based on children's toy franchises

The hi Joe film is bad, but the action is choreographed so as to look like a child is playing with toys

The way keeps flip over, jets just pull 180° turns and shoot down missiles

The movie just didn't go far enough

When I first saw this movie and they're in the under-sea base or whatever, I had the thought of "I'm pretty sure I had this same adventure in my bath tub with GI Joe toys"

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The alien ships in Battleship literally shoot out the red pegs from the game as their offensive weaponry, and that's when I knew it was the greatest movie ever made.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Jestery posted:

I want to see an action movie just called "Hi Joe!" now where the main character is only ever seen mid-stunt. Like someone is having a picnic, see him waterskiing past and just yells "HI JOE!" and that's the whole movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gromit posted:

The Rampage movie was super fun and a great kaiju movie.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Agreed. One of the best Dumb Popcorn Movies of 2018

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Agreed.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

BioEnchanted posted:

I want to see an action movie just called "Hi Joe!" now where the main character is only ever seen mid-stunt. Like someone is having a picnic, see him waterskiing past and just yells "HI JOE!" and that's the whole movie.

The theme song is just a more polite version of Hey Joe.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

rydiafan posted:

The alien ships in Battleship literally shoot out the red pegs from the game as their offensive weaponry, and that's when I knew it was the greatest movie ever made.

Yuuuuuuuuuuup. It was just so outlandish it was perfect.

That, and them targeting grid squares with missile barrages due to..alien jamming or whatever.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I love the :patriot: when they bring out the battleship.

And I love the badass cyborg.

And I also love that the aliens don't kill non-combatants.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gromit posted:

Hasbro is desperate to turn their game & toy IPs into big budget movies. It worked pretty well with Transformers and they've been trying to get the GI Joe movies back up and running since they stumbled. The Ouija films were also adaptations of the classic Hasbro board game and they were fairly successful low budget horror movies. Apparently they've also been working on new movies based on Monopoly, Clue, Beyblade, Furby and Play-Doh, plus many many more
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_Hasbro_properties

Edit: they also had a massively costly years-long legal battle to regain the movie rights to Dungeons and Dragons, even though those live action films were awful

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 08:41 on Jan 9, 2020

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

movies based on Monopoly, Clue, Beyblade, Furby and Play-Doh, plus many many more
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_Hasbro_properties

The versions of these in my head will only lead me to disappointment

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They already made the perfect Beyblade movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kIsEzEmI9w

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Do they ever take a bland existing script and jazz it up with a weird tie in? Some of these movies must have already existed in some state of development, but an executive producer figured they could get funding/attention if gave their Korean horror movie a Pizza Hut theme.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Do they ever take a bland existing script and jazz it up with a weird tie in? Some of these movies must have already existed in some state of development, but an executive producer figured they could get funding/attention if gave their Korean horror movie a Pizza Hut theme.

Every Die Hard until the fifth one started as a script for something else, for what that’s worth.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's no way 2 Fast 2 Furious didn't start out as a Miami Vice script but I don't know if you can say it was a theme then.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Gromit posted:

Aside from the licensing retention, Universal Studios got Peter Berg to direct Battleship in a quid pro quo deal where in return he got to do Lone Survivor.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So Die Hard producers were looking for any script where the hero is trapped somewhere...all alone...holding off hoards of bad guys with only his wits and whatever weapons he can scrounge up...during Christmas time? Maybe in a home..or New York even.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

So Die Hard producers were looking for any script where the hero is trapped somewhere...all alone...holding off hoards of bad guys with only his wits and whatever weapons he can scrounge up...during Christmas time? Maybe in a home..or New York even.

Now I want Die Alone/Home Hard, where you swap Kulkin and Willis’s characters. It would probably make for a much shorter movie in each case.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Now I want Die Alone/Home Hard, where you swap Kulkin and Willis’s characters. It would probably make for a much shorter movie in each case.

"Welcome to the party...you filthy animal."

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

In my mind this guy went from ‘guy who banged Linda Fiorentino on a chain link fence’ to ‘director of movies with huge budgets’ with seemingly no middle step.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Die Hard starring a 70 year old Frank Sinatra is a weird idea.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Krispy Wafer posted:

"Welcome to the party...you filthy animal."

"Now I have micro-machines, ya big horse's rear end!"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

Die Hard starring a 70 year old Frank Sinatra is a weird idea.

The late 80's/early 90's were a weird time. They were trying to figure out a way to make both Michael Jackson and Michael Bolton into action movie stars. But not like together in a buddy movie, which would have been good.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
As others have said both Battleship and Rampage are pretty great and fun movies, neither of which take themselves too seriously.

The fact they're tied to existing IPs is pretty irrelevant. Just leads to a few amusing injokes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

The late 80's/early 90's were a weird time. They were trying to figure out a way to make both Michael Jackson and Michael Bolton into action movie stars. But not like together in a buddy movie, which would have been good.

The Sinatra thing for Die Hard was contractually obligated.Die Hard started out as an adaptation of the sequel of a novel, and Sinatra had been the leading role in the original story's film adaptation. Nobody actually expected Sinatra to take the role, they just legally had to give him the chance to pass, and then they went from making a sequel to The Detective to what eventually became Die Hard over the course of like ten years.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I have maintained that The Hateful Eight would have been amazing if right after Bruce Dern dies he turns into The Thing, and the rest of the movie is the humans trying to survive while fighting in a 1880s version of The Thing.

They have the soundtrack, the setting, the overall tone, a somewhat similar ending, there's a lot of The Thing in The Hateful Eight.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I think I once read some study somewhere that said films based on an existing IP have a higher than average chance of success when compared to non-IP films. I dunno if that's true but I suspect that's the prevailing logic behind weird non-IP IP films. If you can slap a license on something, you might as well.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I think I once read some study somewhere that said films based on an existing IP have a higher than average chance of success when compared to non-IP films. I dunno if that's true but I suspect that's the prevailing logic behind weird non-IP IP films. If you can slap a license on something, you might as well.

Extant IPs come parcelled with decades of pop culture references and a personal connection to most of the population's childhoods, they've already got chunks of nostalgia baked into them even if they completely rewrite the 'canon' around the toy. Also it makes the promotional campaign MUCH easier because everyone already has an idea what it's about via cultural osmosis even if they never played with the toy, or grew up in one of the decades before or after the toy was at its height of popularity.

A movie about a bodybuilder who rides a green tiger and has punchfights with a blue skull man might be a hard sell out in the suburbs if it's all a bunch of new ideas ("None of this makes any sense!! Why is that man so oily and how does the skull man even talk if he doesn't have lips???") but He-Man is an easy sell.

The one big problem is if they gently caress with the 'canon' too much and the diehard fanbase kick up a stink, aka the "They Got Sonic's Eyes Wrong!!!" problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Gromit posted:

I loved Rampage. I put a hundred quarters into my local machine, I got my first job just so I could afford the nes game, when the remake came out I bought a Nintendo 64 just to play it, and until this post I had no idea that movie last year with The Rock in it had anything to do with the game