Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you want from the chat thread in the new year?
This poll is closed.
Video games 100 14.08%
Not Video Games 46 6.48%
poo poo Posting 56 7.89%
Bowsette 128 18.03%
Polls 58 8.17%
No poll, How many times do I have to pick this? 53 7.46%
More General Horniness 103 14.51%
Less General Horniness 72 10.14%
Serious discussion of current issues 46 6.48%
Nothing. The thread is perfect the way it is :) 48 6.76%
Total: 294 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hey everyone new Pokemon DLC is looking cool

https://twitter.com/UltimaShadowX/status/1215283011182387202

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Updated my journal

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

I said come in! posted:

Your average PC gamer just plays League of Legends, and Minecraft, but there's enough of an audience that wants top tier hardware to take full advantage of AAA games. Nvidia does a lot of work on the software and hardware side to improve graphic fidelity. A lot of what we've seen over the last two decades has been because of them.

It just feels like we're hitting a plateau with graphical fidelity in particular which may be why they're going in different directions to market new cards (ray-tracing). It seems a bit early to start talking new cards when the hot-new-thing is only in a handful of games.

I bet we don't see a new line of cards until mid-late 2021.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Another impetus for new cards will be when marketing firms have had time to convince people that 8k displays are a thing they want.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

RBA Starblade posted:

Here, have a vegemite sandwich

Cursed post

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

What would even be the purpose of a 30 line when games don't take advantage of the current top-end technology?

the top end RTX cards struggle with RTX

Andrast posted:

Less noise is better

if youre looking at the gigabyte single fan 2070 vs a bigger one you might want to consider noise. for stuff like a 1660 series or even a 2060 theyre so easy to cool it makes little to no difference. my case fans and platter drive are louder than my gpu or cpu

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

It just feels like we're hitting a plateau with graphical fidelity in particular which may be why they're going in different directions to market new cards (ray-tracing). It seems a bit early to start talking new cards when the hot-new-thing is only in a handful of games.

If I had to guess, Nvidia's big thing will be adding some new groundbreaking graphic fidelity tech (like raytracing) that the new next-gen consoles won't have and won't be able to do.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

the top end RTX cards struggle with RTX

if youre looking at the gigabyte single fan 2070 vs a bigger one you might want to consider noise. for stuff like a 1660 series or even a 2060 theyre so easy to cool it makes little to no difference. my case fans and platter drive are louder than my gpu or cpu

Get better case fans and SSDs imo

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

we're hitting a drastic slowing of how quickly more stuff can be packed into a cpu or gpu die which is why you can have an i7 from like 7 years ago and have no reason to really upgrade. i got a used 6700k which is a 5 year old cpu and no game i play comes anywhere near to topping it out, and a 1070 can still run 90% of games maxed out at 1080p even though its coming up on 4 years old. graphics can always go higher its just can you actually make the stuff to do it, which is why theyre moving onto adding extra stuff instead

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Andrast posted:

Get better case fans and SSDs imo

my case fans are really good and i have a 1tb m2, i still need platters for mass storage. but the point was my pc is very quiet and the single fan gpu isnt loud. the case fans and hdds arent actually loud, theyre just loud-er

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my case actually had too many fans, to the point where it was making the chassis vibrate. i deactivated one of them with no change in temperatures

knock on wood but my 980ti is still fulfilling all my needs

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

So I've been playing through Black Mesa and it is absolutely fantastic. This mod was clearly made by a group that lives and breathes Half-Life and really respects the original design.

I am not finished yet tho, I just got to Xen and am only about an hour into it. So my feelings on Xen may change as I've heard it drags on.

The Good:
-Gorgeous visuals that push the Half-Life 2 era source engine to it’s limits.
-Incredible model detail and animations worthy of a AAA game
-Neat new additions, encounters, and puzzles
-Love how Xen is now bright hues of blue and green instead of dull brown. Has a very "organic" look

-The Atmosphere of "Surface Tension" is loving fantastic - love how the level starts with the HECU dominating and by the end, they are clearing getting their asses kicked. the sky is filled with battlefield smoke, Xen forces are everywhere, and there are radio broadcasts calling for the entire evacuation of New Mexico and airstrikes begin to cover the HECU retreat.

-Fantastic Original Soundtrack by Joel Nielsen

Love these two tracks:
Xen Transcendent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S22AEtiLsI

Questionable Ethics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtTmiYA5D4k

-The “Definitive” version of Half-Life if you ask me.

The Bad:
-Some new puzzles are simple “plug this in here” feels copied from Half Life 2
-Tentacles not as distracted by grenades
-HECU accuracy and reaction times still too high - they need to fire in 3 round bursts like in the original and their reaction times toned down
-Exploding Houndeyes in Xen are..meh
-That Apache encounter..

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the uh sticker on my laptop says i7 how am i doin boys

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

pfffft you peasants

check this out

*small post-it with "i23 INSIDE" written on it is affixed to ancient Dell laptop with packing tape*

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So I've been playing through Black Mesa and it is absolutely fantastic. This mod was clearly made by a group that lives and breathes Half-Life and really respects the original design.

I am not finished yet tho, I just got to Xen and am only about an hour into it. So my feelings on Xen may change as I've heard it drags on.

The Good:
-Gorgeous visuals that push the Half-Life 2 era source engine to it’s limits.
-Incredible model detail and animations worthy of a AAA game
-Neat new additions, encounters, and puzzles
-Love how Xen is now bright hues of blue and green instead of dull brown. Has a very "organic" look

-The Atmosphere of "Surface Tension" is loving fantastic - love how the level starts with the HECU dominating and by the end, they are clearing getting their asses kicked. the sky is filled with battlefield smoke, Xen forces are everywhere, and there are radio broadcasts calling for the entire evacuation of New Mexico and airstrikes begin to cover the HECU retreat.

-Fantastic Original Soundtrack by Joel Nielsen

Love these two tracks:
Xen Transcendent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S22AEtiLsI

Questionable Ethics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtTmiYA5D4k

-The “Definitive” version of Half-Life if you ask me.

The Bad:
-Some new puzzles are simple “plug this in here” feels copied from Half Life 2
-Tentacles not as distracted by grenades
-HECU accuracy and reaction times still too high - they need to fire in 3 round bursts like in the original and their reaction times toned down
-Exploding Houndeyes in Xen are..meh
-That Apache encounter..

My memory might be a bit off, but I'm pretty sure tentacles go after grenades, but only after they explode.

However, they hear you pulling the pin and start tapping around you until it goes off.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Looper posted:

iThink you're lovely :3:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Graphical fidelity is becoming less important than animation fluidity imo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also I solved 5 puzzles in Baba Is You last night and turned a level into a key and I feel like I'm on the cusp of something

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

👏 We 👏 need 👏 more 👏 realistic 👏 hair 👏

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I like the Final Fantasy feathery hair. What’s the best video game hair?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Help Im Alive posted:

👏 We 👏 need 👏 more 👏 realistic 👏 hair 👏

I can never decide which I hate more, that FF style of mega wispy and shiny and floaty haircuts or the kind that are just flat models that don't move whatsoever and look like a lego hair model

e: lol

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

hatty posted:

Bayo

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

hatty posted:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's fair to say the TressFX in Tomb Raider 2013 literally changed my life.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It has changed your posting life at least, no week goes by without you mentioning it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hair physics... female character with a bow... God has made the perfect game and it is New Tomb Raider

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Healbot posted:

It has changed your posting life at least, no week goes by without you mentioning it.

I don't think I've even talked about hair physics in at least the last 12 months. Much like the same number of people who played Alpha Protocol!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Oh dear, Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, is here, for the PC

80gb, goodnight sweet prince

RBA Starblade posted:

Graphical fidelity is becoming less important than animation fluidity imo

One of my favourite advancements in graphics etc have been ragdolls. A lot of games have fun living ragdolls these days (GTA4 onwards and Red Dead being some of the best) and I swear it never gets old to watch ai characters bumble about and stagger over

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Songbearer posted:

Only 40 without the high res textures

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Songbearer posted:

One of my favourite advancements in graphics etc have been ragdolls. A lot of games have fun living ragdolls these days (GTA4 onwards and Red Dead being some of the best) and I swear it never gets old to watch ai characters bumble about and stagger over

Outer Worlds felt totally dead without ragdolls and exploding bits of random detritus.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Andrast posted:

Only 40 without the high res textures

i’ll give you 15 for 800x600 resolution only

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think I've even talked about hair physics in at least the last 12 months. Much like the same number of people who played Alpha Protocol!

I hear more about Alpha Protocol from you complaining about the loud fans than the actual fans so chalk that up for another thing you can't shut up about.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thinkin about watching xXx: The Return of Xander Cage (2017)

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Be nice you guys 2020 doesn't need any help with negativity and doom :smith:

Cowcaster posted:

i’ll give you 15 for 800x600 resolution only

640 x 480, but with 400 instances of the game showing a fraction of the screen each. Checkmate, hardware manufacturers

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Samuringa posted:

I hear more about Alpha Protocol from you complaining about the loud fans than the actual fans so chalk that up for another thing you can't shut up about.

Well even though nobody played it Alpha Protocol isn't even that bad of a game, unlike The Sinking City, or should I say, The Stinking lovely!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Songbearer posted:

Be nice you guys 2020 doesn't need any help with negativity and doom :smith:

640 x 480, but with 400 instances of the game showing a fraction of the screen each. Checkmate, hardware manufacturers

Doom is in March

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Obsidian should have made a spiritual successor to Alpha Protocol rather than their failed spiritual successor to Fallout NV, imo

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Songbearer posted:

Oh THIS is why MHW PC version opens up 400 threads and spends like 33% of your CPU just switching between them and sucks poo poo without modder fixes. It all makes sense now.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Obsidian should have made a spiritual successor to Alpha Protocol rather than their failed spiritual successor to Fallout NV, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I always see a lot of people getting worked up and super anxious about 100% CPU usage, but is this necessarily a bad thing? I've had games do this, but they were also running at a smooth 60fps, so is this really an issue or something to be concerned with?