Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Fortunately, he hasn't had any difficulties getting caught in things, so for now we'll leave him with his raptor feet. Easiest for everyone that way.

I don't know if this is great bird husbandry, but it's what we're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
v:geno:v I wouldn't worry about it. Just snip off any loose threads you see on his rope/fabric toys and he should be fine. I see he has wicker toys; I've never seen issues with long nails and wicker toys with any of my birds.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Kitfox88 posted:

How do these idiots survive in the wild :kimchi:

Well, at least she hasn’t tried to lay an egg on me recently. That only happened three times. :stare:

To everyone stressed out by the recent holidays or bird injuries - You are all great bird parents that give your feathered balls of doofusry loving homes. I’ll be sending all of Serra’s mystical, loving power through the internet. Your birds are lucky to have you folk for family.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

RoboRodent posted:

Fortunately, he hasn't had any difficulties getting caught in things, so for now we'll leave him with his raptor feet. Easiest for everyone that way.

I don't know if this is great bird husbandry, but it's what we're doing.

Do you have the kind of perches that are rough textured and supposed to help keep their nails trim? Not sure how much they would help but it's worth a shot. Or put like a flat rock or bricks or something down that's not too scary for him to walk on.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Disco Salmon posted:

Thanks for being concerned over the little poo poo...I'm sure he would appreciate it lol I know I did!

Glad Trev is on the mend! Good birds should be able to do mischief.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Happy birdiversary! Mine and Ama's was on the first. :3: We celebrated by getting him a full bloodwork panel the day after lol since I had been worried about some of his behavior recently and I'm happy to report he is totally normal, aside from being a conure, for which there is no cure. The vet agrees with me that he'd just been stressed and unhappy since I'd been stressed and unhappy.

Although frustrating, it's nice to know that there isn't some mysterious birdie trouble going on in addition to everything.

Captain Log posted:

Well, at least she hasn’t tried to lay an egg on me recently. That only happened three times. :stare:

To everyone stressed out by the recent holidays or bird injuries - You are all great bird parents that give your feathered balls of doofusry loving homes. I’ll be sending all of Serra’s mystical, loving power through the internet. Your birds are lucky to have you folk for family.
Are you absolutely sure she doesn't send her mystical bird energy to you through the act of laying eggs on you?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Chaosfeather posted:

Glad Trev is on the mend! Good birds should be able to do mischief.

Although frustrating, it's nice to know that there isn't some mysterious birdie trouble going on in addition to everything.

Are you absolutely sure she doesn't send her mystical bird energy to you through the act of laying eggs on you?

When I got her, I was fading quick and on a walker.

Now, I walk around the house unassisted and just use leg braces when I’m out. I’ve also exercised for over 150 days in a row and lost over 40 pounds.

You be the judge!

:derptiel:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

RoboRodent posted:

Today is my and Ozzy's birdaversary. It's been two years!

Then:

Now:

HAPPY GOTCHADAY!!! <3

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Kitfox88 posted:

I'm glad to hear he's healed up good! Do you think it was a one time accident deal or will you be trying to keep them apart now?

Look at those killer claws :prepop:

one time...hahahahahaha

No, he's a poo poo.

I'm waiting for it to happen again tbh cos he just won't leave her alone. He IS doing better tho, but he riles her up so I have to watch them together when they are out in the room.

He wants SOOOO bad to be with her then he just loses it and starts chasing her and she freaks out and all hell breaks loose. However, she has been making little overtures to him lately, like offering to preen his head. In fact, under supervision, they were allowed together on my desk and I usually have a bowl of pellets/snacky stuff for them there....they were actually sitting on opposite sides of the bowl just chilling out.

I really think he doesn't know how to be a good bird friend...his background wasn't that good and I kinda think he was just badly socialized in proper bird etiquette. She was an only bird for over 2 years when we brought him home so I think part of his issues is jealousy and a lot of hey can we be friends...why are you backing away, am I too pushy....omg I WANT YOU TO LOVE MEHHHHH.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Youth Decay posted:

Do you have the kind of perches that are rough textured and supposed to help keep their nails trim? Not sure how much they would help but it's worth a shot. Or put like a flat rock or bricks or something down that's not too scary for him to walk on.

They have a few concrete perches, but Ozzy uses them less than Sera. I might need to rearrange things.

They got a bowl of popcorn to celebrate the occasion!

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Mochi and I have been really struggling lately. My husband switched to working nights, and he screams constantly during the day because he knows he's here but not paying attention, so husband is getting no sleep. When I get home, I get screamed at for hours. Just piercing, alarm-volume shriek, demanding to be picked up, or nothing at all, when he had improved so much over the past few months. We went through all of spring and fall without any big hormonal swings, and he's constantly trying to lunge at me as I pass by, and frequently taking chunks out of me though i make sure his opportunities to do so are limited. What do goons?

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 9, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

subpar anachronism posted:

Mochi and I have been really struggling lately. My husband switched to working nights, and he screams constantly during the day because he knows he's here but not paying attention, so husband is getting no sleep. When I get home, I get screamed at for hours. Just piercing, alarm-volume shriek, demanding to be picked up, or nothing at all, when he had improved so much over the past few months. We went through all of spring and fall without any big hormonal swings, and he's constantly trying to lunge at me as I pass by, and frequently taking chunks out of me though i make sure his opportunities to do so are limited. What do goons?

If I was going to bird whisper your situation, I’d ask -

- Where is the cage placed in the home including nearby windows and walls? Scared birds are bitey birds.
- What is the house schedule including time spent with bird?
- What is bird’s age?

But don’t stress - sometimes behavioral steps backwards happen. Just focus on the basics that bonded you at the start of your relationship and take it slow. In my experience, birds bite when they are excited, scared, then angry.

Screm can also be a screm for other bird sexy time. Hormones happen.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Is this the right thread to tell people I had a barred owl hang out outside my house for a while tonight? First it posted up on my deck railing and looked in at us watching TV for 10min or so, then it flew around to a tree just outside our kitchen window and stuck around there for another hour and a half.

Was cool seeing a fairly big bird like that up close. It's been around for a week or so, I've seen it in the backyard a few times when I took my dog out for his midnight poop sesh. This was the first time it showed up so early or did anything other than fly through.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well that might strictly speaking be for the birding thread but I for one fuckin' love owls and welcome the post. Pics next time!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/PSgn4ez.mp4

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Here's a pic! Looks way closer here than it actually was. That post it's sitting on is about 3.5ft away from the door.

Which thread is the birding thread? Is it the "just birbs" one in PYF?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Inspector 34 posted:

Here's a pic! Looks way closer here than it actually was. That post it's sitting on is about 3.5ft away from the door.

Which thread is the birding thread? Is it the "just birbs" one in PYF?

Nah it's here in PI: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3566028

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Thanks!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

When I got her, I was fading quick and on a walker.

Now, I walk around the house unassisted and just use leg braces when I’m out. I’ve also exercised for over 150 days in a row and lost over 40 pounds.

You be the judge!

:derptiel:

Choo choo motherfucker

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

DarkHorse posted:

Choo choo motherfucker

Choo Choo.

:respek:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Captain Log posted:

If I was going to bird whisper your situation, I’d ask -

- Where is the cage placed in the home including nearby windows and walls? Scared birds are bitey birds.
- What is the house schedule including time spent with bird?
- What is bird’s age?

But don’t stress - sometimes behavioral steps backwards happen. Just focus on the basics that bonded you at the start of your relationship and take it slow. In my experience, birds bite when they are excited, scared, then angry.

Screm can also be a screm for other bird sexy time. Hormones happen.

His cage has one cage as close to a wall as the seed guard allows and another side half sheltered by a bookcase. House schedule is I get up around 6, try not to wake him up for a bit. If my husband is off work he is totally wide awake as soon as he starts speaking. Wake up time is slightly variable but I do try to ensure 12 hours of dark a night for hormone regulation. Husband feeds and waters birds. I go to work, husband spends a couple hours hanging out and sitting with the birds, and goes to bed at 9. I get home between 4 and 5, immediately refeed and water and let birds out and provide treats and chop (they have access to plenty of bird pellets or more seed for the budge all the time. I go to bed by 10, but insistent screaming for bedtime can start as early as 7 PM. We try and hold out until closer to 8 for that 12 hours with variable success. He's about four, and he's been part of our home for about three years now. I know he's cranky about the change in routine, but I'm trying to provide more toys, more direct play time, more new experiences to help supplement. As far as sexy time, my husband is the favourite and screm often happens when he steps out of view even though the apartment is relatively small and we'll flock call back.

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 10, 2020

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Brother just sent me this article - Feathered friends: study shows 'selfless' parrots helping peers

Science proves what we already knew - African greys are kind and helpful birbs :kimchi:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Helping peers might mean taking you out :tinfoil:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

So my regular DM wants to run a one-shot during a pause in our main campaign where we play as the Awakened pets of an old druid lady, who have to help her without letting the general public know that they're not just ordinary animals.

Of course we were all over this. I have created Precious the (some other continent than Africa) grey parrot, who is arrogant and devious and too smart for her own good and usually up to something.

I am gonna scream and I'm gonna bite all the things.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

RoboRodent posted:

So my regular DM wants to run a one-shot during a pause in our main campaign where we play as the Awakened pets of an old druid lady, who have to help her without letting the general public know that they're not just ordinary animals.

Of course we were all over this. I have created Precious the (some other continent than Africa) grey parrot, who is arrogant and devious and too smart for her own good and usually up to something.

I would absolutely play the poo poo out of that.

Also, I set up a bird cam so Ms Cookies and I can keep watch over the boys while we're at work. If anyone cares to watch, https://www.twitch.tv/rotten_cookies64

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

RoboRodent posted:

I played an elf wizard in one game with a raven familiar that was obsessed with shiny things and demanded he get his own little medal after he saw the cleric's holy symbol.

Nobody gave a poo poo about the wizard but they loved that drat bird (I did too)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

His cage has one cage as close to a wall as the seed guard allows and another side half sheltered by a bookcase. House schedule is I get up around 6, try not to wake him up for a bit. If my husband is off work he is totally wide awake as soon as he starts speaking. Wake up time is slightly variable but I do try to ensure 12 hours of dark a night for hormone regulation. Husband feeds and waters birds. I go to work, husband spends a couple hours hanging out and sitting with the birds, and goes to bed at 9. I get home between 4 and 5, immediately refeed and water and let birds out and provide treats and chop (they have access to plenty of bird pellets or more seed for the budge all the time. I go to bed by 10, but insistent screaming for bedtime can start as early as 7 PM. We try and hold out until closer to 8 for that 12 hours with variable success. He's about four, and he's been part of our home for about three years now. I know he's cranky about the change in routine, but I'm trying to provide more toys, more direct play time, more new experiences to help supplement. As far as sexy time, my husband is the favourite and screm often happens when he steps out of view even though the apartment is relatively small and we'll flock call back.

I've read that and thought about it for a bit, but these are the thoughts I keep landing on.

What room does your bird live in and which rooms do you and your husband spend the most time in? I've always had pretty good success keeping the screms at bay by keeping my parrots in the room that has the most humans hanging out in it. Also, we "shut down" our living room earlier than the rest of the house, so bedtime tends to be normal for the birds.

Also, with the schedule you posted, is the bird waking up and getting a lot more "daytime" than twelve hours? In my experience, a lot of perceived daytime can make a parrot think it's spring/summer aka mating season.

Those are the thoughts I'm landing on if there aren't any scary windows right near the cage.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/4J0ZqQm.mp4

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Captain Log posted:

I've read that and thought about it for a bit, but these are the thoughts I keep landing on.

What room does your bird live in and which rooms do you and your husband spend the most time in?

Also, with the schedule you posted, is the bird waking up and getting a lot more "daytime" than twelve hours? In my experience, a lot of perceived daytime can make a parrot think it's spring/summer aka mating season.

We try to keep it a consistent 12, but some days he gets up later than others due to us being busy. We only have a one bedroom apartment, so he's in the living room where we spend most of our time- I don't hang out in the bedroom except to sleep.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

We try to keep it a consistent 12, but some days he gets up later than others due to us being busy. We only have a one bedroom apartment, so he's in the living room where we spend most of our time- I don't hang out in the bedroom except to sleep.

With all that said, it sure sounds like you're doing everything right. Nobody has a perfect schedule or gets to sit with their birds every hour of every day.

With that, I'd fall back to my earlier advice of going back to basics with your parrot. Small steps in trust building activities, treat rewards for good behavior, positive reinforcement for positive behavior, all the stuff I'm sure you do. I'd just mentally say think of how you would handle the bird in its first month in the house. Birds have phases, good and bad.

BUT! And this is a big, big, big but - has your bird been DNA sexed? My first cockatiel, Neil, went absolutely wall making GBS threads insane at about two years. Back then, DNA wasn't a thing and the colors indicated Neil was a male.

Neil was a she. We figured it out when she started laying eggs. If it turns out your bird is actually a she, you might need to change some strategies and cage items around. Serra got egg-y once because a stuffed animal was near her cage. A stuffed freaking cockatiel, of all things.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Remember to give your parrots their daily run:

https://twitter.com/johannperezz/status/1215534443055611906

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
MASsIve GreEn PARASiTE EaTS ITS way oUT oF a mAns CHeSt

https://i.imgur.com/ihIghmX.gifv

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Kuros posted:

Remember to give your parrots their daily run:

https://twitter.com/johannperezz/status/1215534443055611906

That’s a weird rear end chariot.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Love catching him in funny poses.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Look at how ruffly he is :kimchi:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Jose Oquendo posted:

Love catching him in funny poses.

When Pookie looks like that it means she's found an interesting bit of feather or maybe a chewy bit of feather casing that requires further tasting. :3:

Also how are your gang getting on with the palm extract?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Pookah posted:

When Pookie looks like that it means she's found an interesting bit of feather or maybe a chewy bit of feather casing that requires further tasting. :3:

Also how are your gang getting on with the palm extract?

Not gonna lie, I haven't given it to them. I did some reading online, and for every post or article saying it was the best thing ever, I'd find another one saying not to give it to them because it's high in cholesterol or fats or something like that. So I still have it. I haven't decided what to do.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Jose Oquendo posted:

Not gonna lie, I haven't given it to them. I did some reading online, and for every post or article saying it was the best thing ever, I'd find another one saying not to give it to them because it's high in cholesterol or fats or something like that. So I still have it. I haven't decided what to do.

Oh god yeah, you gotta make the best choices you can for your birds :)

I did notice that it looks like all the fat has risen to the top of the jar I got, so I scoop down the side to get a little fat and more of the other stuff underneath - Pookie's been eating her bit on toast for about a month now and has lost a little weight, which is perfect because she does not need to get any chubbier - the vet said her usual weight of 454g was 'a bit fat' so she could actually stand to lose a few grams.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I helped explain to my budgie-owning friend what it meant when his budgie Loki was "vomiting" on him meant. He was not pleased with that knowledge.

Fun, though, the other person he asked turned out to be the new exotic vet in town! So we have a new exotic vet! So if my boys get sick I can have someone who actually knows birds treat them! And she is in my swimming club!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

I helped explain to my budgie-owning friend what it meant when his budgie Loki was "vomiting" on him meant. He was not pleased with that knowledge.

True wub :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I love your avatar so much :allears: