Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hey, I come here for funny pictures, not soul crushing reasons why I'll never make a living wage

Short of someone forming an obscenely powerful cult of like, a million people, and suddenly snapping hard left and telling them to launch an attack on- I dunno, Wall Street? Who's in charge anymore?- we're all boned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They can't hire people because they refuse to pay them.

Hmmm, you're right, I know nothing about the companies I've worked for or their compensation

Edit: all I'm saying is that unemployment being unusually low means that, even more than usual, listed requirements on job postings are often ignored, because there are less people seeking jobs and companies can go a long time without finding good candidates. I didn't say the economy was great or any dumb stuff like that

theflyingorc has a new favorite as of 07:01 on Jan 9, 2020

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

it does get a bit tiresome that if you express anything short of absolute maximal despair around here, a bunch of people will act like you are an idiot who thinks everything is fine.

no one thinks everything is fine. especially no one who reads and posts on this forum.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Jesus posted:

Lot of countries just dub everything. Anything that goes on TV in my country is dubbed, with the exception of like foreign movies showed in the evening on the more "intellectual" channels. I started to hate dubbing after I got some grasp of english. I remember being mad at my dad that he bought Return of the King on VHS with dubbing only. I had some friends and relatives who avoided movies with subtitles though because they allegedly couldn't keep up.

Thankfully nothing that's not meant for kids is ever dubbed in Scandinavia. Everyone is fluent in at least English and otherwise we just use subtitles.
The only exception that comes to mind was the short while during the early days of the PS3 when Sony decided all first party games needed dubbing. Just for the hell of it I played through Killzone 2 with Norwegian voices and it was hilariously corny. Especially since all the voice actors were the same people that usually work on kids games and cartoons. The protagonist was voiced by the same guy who does Professor Utonium, Johnny Bravo and and Sly Cooper.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

My nephews like the Disney channel for some reason and the Danish dub is loving atrocious. It's incredibly grating, just pure crap.

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham

Krankenstyle posted:

the Danish dub

Krankenstyle posted:

It's incredibly grating, just pure crap.

Ö

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Data Graham posted:

Inside you are two Garys

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lodin posted:

Thankfully nothing that's not meant for kids is ever dubbed in Scandinavia. Everyone is fluent in at least English and otherwise we just use subtitles.
The only exception that comes to mind was the short while during the early days of the PS3 when Sony decided all first party games needed dubbing. Just for the hell of it I played through Killzone 2 with Norwegian voices and it was hilariously corny. Especially since all the voice actors were the same people that usually work on kids games and cartoons. The protagonist was voiced by the same guy who does Professor Utonium, Johnny Bravo and and Sly Cooper.

That's pretty much all dubs everywhere. Look up Steve Blum.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyfZUVsdGtM&t=34s

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The same dude who dubbed Clint Eastwood in the Italian version of his spaghetti westerns also did a lot of Bible films so in Italy Jesus and The Man With No Name have the same voice.

Of course all Italian films of that era were filmed without sound so they could use international casts and just dub in everything later for various different markets.

Also to save time. You can work insanely fast when you don't need to worry about sound on set.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Yoshi Wins posted:

it does get a bit tiresome that if you express anything short of absolute maximal despair around here, a bunch of people will act like you are an idiot who thinks everything is fine.

no one thinks everything is fine. especially no one who reads and posts on this forum.

Yeah, like, my org has tech job openings that 2-3 years ago would get 100+ applicants, and now they get like 9-10, and thats due to sustained low unemployment. They haven't increased their offers, so they're getting priced out of the job market. This doesn't mean things are good, generally, just that for certain (maybe most?) chunks of the white collar set, things are good.

Meanwhile, half the blue collar guys i work with on the low end positions are driving uber at night to make rent.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

What I like most is that I heard it in his voice

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Seeing a TV listing for "Wizards vs Raptors" and then finding out it was basketball was one of the most disappointing moments of my life

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wizards versus raptors

NUH NUH NUH NUH NUH NUH NUH NUH

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nuggets probably will be the death of me

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Denver probably should change their NBA team name to the Nugs, or maybe “The Denver Weed Team.”

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A lone rugged man rides the plains of montana. He is suddenly, mercilessly, struck down by a saxophone solo.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

That's a Swedish Ø, you utter fool!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

That poor lady looks loving exhausted.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
^ drat you! ^

Mom looks really tired...

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think that's the eldest daughter, but it's okay because like all the other kids she looks 45.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1ccHaxmqHk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEMhtDMD4G0

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 18:08 on Jan 9, 2020

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
The atomic radiation made them all have Pinocchio noses.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Look at their faces! They are loving clones.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I don’t know how to read that other than “atomic radiation is bad news”

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Data Graham posted:

Yeah I don’t know how to read that other than “atomic radiation is bad news”

Also, who was trying to convince the public radiation was safe to be around? The radium manufacturers?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

That's just one baby.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I want to live in a dimension where the artist immediately after drawing that is forced to watch the Chernobyl miniseries in its entirety.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

kiimo posted:

I want to live in a dimension where the artist immediately after drawing that is forced to watch the Chernobyl miniseries in its entirety.

If 10 kids (including triplets) doesn't scare them, nothing will

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

I assume the exaggerated nose on everyone is to emphasize that they are his kids. Or did everyone have noses like that back then?

I definitely find the "child" in the cowboy hat the most disturbing.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

People were ugly af in the 50s

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

jjack229 posted:

I assume the exaggerated nose on everyone is to emphasize that they are his kids. Or did everyone have noses like that back then?

It's because they look like their pop, who has a big weird schnoz.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

JoelJoel posted:

People were ugly af in the 50s

Back then, you weren’t a teenager until you were well into your 30s.

Source: sci-fi movies of the era

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's because they look like their pop, who has a big weird schnoz.

They have to make it abundantly clear that the guy with glow in the dark PTSD is the father and not that Fuckkng MAILMAN CLARENCE!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

jjack229 posted:

He reminds me of the little guy with Mr mephistopheles from South park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They all look exactly like Jughead and his dad. People in Archie comics had noses like that a lot.