Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fantastic, thanks for explaining that! Understanding the nature of it a bit better I can see the romantic allure, as well as the leveling effect, of the road books.

I have no doubt hrc and KTM both go to extreme lengths to extract minor advantages by gaming the navigation system.

Are the liason stages just a matter of staying on the route and finishing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

tranten posted:

So if I’m following your (very informative) explanation, by saying the stage ends at the previous CP, people that got lost aren’t screwed because they’ll just look at the time on the card from that now-last CP and say “that’s when your time will stop”?

Exactly.

Slavvy posted:

Fantastic, thanks for explaining that! Understanding the nature of it a bit better I can see the romantic allure, as well as the leveling effect, of the road books.

I have no doubt hrc and KTM both go to extreme lengths to extract minor advantages by gaming the navigation system.

Are the liason stages just a matter of staying on the route and finishing?

I will write up a longer post on this tomorrow morning, but there's some crazy stuff that goes on with navigation. Yeah, liaison is just staying on the route and finishing and this year the liaison is all on GPS because of anti-ridiculous cheating reasons that I will explain tomorrow.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
There was something about them only distributing the roadbooks like 30 minutes before stage starts or something this year? They did that on the last Cannonball and oh my god that annoyed me to be scotch taping paper on a roller at 5:30am and I was like "THEY DON'T EVEN DO THIS IN THE FRICKING DAKAR" but I guess they do now so I can't complain anymore

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
First things first. How do you know the sport you are doing is dumb and for people who are dumb?
"#samsunderland had a bad crash and some fractures of the spine and shoulder blade! But is neurologically OK and does not have to be operated!"

Good news! You only broke your spine and shoulder! You're described as "neurologically OK"!

Anyway, stage five is done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m05DX7sok3k

Toby Price, nickname "T Pies" leads other former-fat-kid, Ricky Brabec on the stage but Brabec is still on top overall. It would be crazy if an American won and brought the first non-KTM to the top step of the podium in 18 years.

Another crash. Seems fine. https://twitter.com/dakar/status/1215220936531726336

Trucks are still cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFGD1-Tqhhc

Cars pretty decent too. https://twitter.com/ibrahimalzubadi/status/1215204723038605313?s=21

But they're no bikes.

OK, now on to the boogeyman of Dakar, the mapmengetting run over by a gently caress-off huge thousand+ horsepower truck. e: Just kidding, big digression about race strategy first. Then mapmen.

If you have a bunch of racers using a little strip of paper they get the night before to navigate hundreds of miles through the desert at race pace, you might say "well, just do your best and try not to die!" That would have been a fine strategy until someone else came along and said "you don't really have to do all that navigation if you just follow the tracks of the dude in front." This led to some interesting race strategy because the start order for each day is based on the finish order for the prior day. Fastest yesterday? You get to be out front today! (unless you are an "elite" rider and you finish below 15th or 20th in which case you start at 15th or 20th, I forget which so that you're not putting anyone in danger by charging through a bunch of slow folks for the whole stage) Riders at the top are released with three minute gaps and they're all roughly the same fast so you're not super likely to catch more than one or two people on a stage.

Being out front is bad. You do not want to be out front because then you have to navigate + ride really fast. It's a lot easier to just check the navigation work of the guy in front of you + ride really fast if you're like third. It's even easier to just follow the tracks of the nine guys in front of you if you can manage it and even better because you can probably catch one or two and then you get to watch them go over bumps instead of reading terrain.

So what top riders do sometimes is intentionally get speeding penalties by going too fast through little villages along the way or things like that. Usually just a minute or two so that they can be super fast but not have to open up the next day's stage. Here are the results from the stage today

1 001 - TOBY PRICE (AUS) KTM 3h57m33s
2 005 - PABLO QUINTANILLA (CHL) HUSQVARNA +00:01:12
3 006 - ANDREW SHORT (USA) HUSQVARNA +00:02:31
4 009 - RICKY BRABEC (USA) HONDA +00:03:03
5 002 - MATTHIAS WALKNER (AUT) KTM +00:06:54

Ricky Brabec finished fifth yesterday and riders start three minutes apart. Price finished sixth on the stage yesterday. So what happened is Toby Price made up his three minutes on Brabec but then couldn't shake him (again, because it's tough to go faster than someone if you're not a lot faster because they don't have to read the terrain. for example, they can just see you go down a little dip and judge by how far you go whether or not they need to slow vs. you who see a dip you can't see down and need to actually slow for it).

Tomorrow, Price will have to open up the stage, followed by Quintanilla and then short and then Brabec. That means Brabec can mostly just follow the tracks of the first three and should probably be trying to pad his lead. If Price takes time off him tomorrow or keeps it even, Brabec is in trouble.

Anyway, strategy isn't enough. You also have to do things that the rules don't explicitly prohibitcheat.

You see, it's tough riding at race pace while navigating, let alone opening up the race. But... you get the road book (well, you used to anyway) the night before and then you have time to mark it up with pretty colors. Like red for "oh poo poo stop there's something bad here" or green for "this is a serious turn, pay attention."

The thing is, if you have the roadbook and you know where you are and where you're going then you can also just go on google maps and look at satellite images of the race course. Instead of having to visualize what the track looks like, you can actually just take a look. And, even better, you can pay someone else to take a look at it for you while you're having a massage or dinner or something and then they can explain it to you and what you're going to be facing. That's a real advantage. It's one thing to be like "huh, roadbook says I need to make a slight right at kilometer 145.2" and another to see the pictures and say "oh, there's a system of ravines here and there are actually three and I have to take the middle one because if I take the right one it's more of a harder right and I'll be screwed if I just read 'right' and take it."

So that's step one of mapmen. They take the roadbook and figure out where it is using satellite images and then explain that to the riders and give the factory teams a nice advantage. But, of course, just that wasn't enough.

Take a look at this picture, because this is the real evolution of mapmen.

Last year, Kevin Benavides, a fast dude who rides for Honda, was caught with those notes on his tank. He was given a three hour penalty (which was eventually revoked months later after an appeal because ASO only put in the rules prohibiting carrying notes like that the day before and didn't tell anyone about them until that day and the rider start at like 5 AM so fat lot of good that had done him).

You see, the other job of the mapmen is to figure out the course and then figure out how you can cut the course without missing the probable waypoints. So there, he might have had to ride at say 30 mph if he had stayed on the course according to the road book and taken that hard left. But someone saw that he could just go straight a little more and then just blaze through the nice hard, flat dirt and be a lot faster and so he took modified notes that told him when to cut the course and like an idiot he just taped them onto his bike for everyone to see and take pictures of and ruined it for everyone. Oops.

Fast forward to this year and there are two new rules. First, every other day (I think... it's a little unclear and I don't speak french) instead of getting the roadbook the night before, you get it the morning of and have 25 minutes to mark it up in a little corral before starting. That's a big deal and makes it basically impossible for the mapmen to do their job. But it's only half of the stages (maybe less?). Second, the liaison stages are being provided by GPS now. So rather than getting them in the roadbook, they get uploaded directly every morning. That makes things a LOT harder for the mapmen because even if you know the general area you're going to be racing through - because you know where that day's bivouac is and where that night's bivouac is - it's a lot harder to figure out where the roadbook is taking you if you don't know where it starts. Not impossible, but more difficult.

Here's one more example I found from Benavides's notes. You can see just how good it would be to ditch that rough terrain and speed down the beach.

builds character fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 9, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
This is amazing, I never knew this aspect of Dakar races, just enjoyed pretty videos

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

This is amazing

:agreed:

If I had to guess I'd bet they reason they didn't just clamp down and make all the stages semi blind is similar to the evolution of electronic aids in motoGP: the organisers underestimated the size of the advantage it gave in the early days, the factories built up organisations to exploit that advantage, then when it came to cutting them back, the factories tantrummed like children because they put in all that work and now were expected to let it go to waste.

A compromise was reached wherein everyone now has to use the same basic tc system but are still allowed to bring halls full of nerds to bear on the number crunching.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
I sort of wonder what it would look like if there were a racing league with a complete free-for-all as far as the mechanical construction of the vehicle goes, as long as it stays on the tarmac and goes around the track. Specify that it can only have two wheels or something to make it "motorcycle" racing. Presumably it would just degenerate into Northrop Grumman testing their ramjets on a track with two symbolic wheels attached, and an unsuspecting pedestrian strapped to the top; but if the nominal purpose of racing leagues is to promote innovation in the construction of the bikes, really restrictive rules on things like electronic aids or engine architecture or whatever seem like they're just slowing down the adoption of stuff like that for road-going vehicles.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Mirconium posted:

I sort of wonder what it would look like if there were a racing league with a complete free-for-all as far as the mechanical construction of the vehicle goes, as long as it stays on the tarmac and goes around the track. Specify that it can only have two wheels or something to make it "motorcycle" racing. Presumably it would just degenerate into Northrop Grumman testing their ramjets on a track with two symbolic wheels attached, and an unsuspecting pedestrian strapped to the top; but if the nominal purpose of racing leagues is to promote innovation in the construction of the bikes, really restrictive rules on things like electronic aids or engine architecture or whatever seem like they're just slowing down the adoption of stuff like that for road-going vehicles.

People would immediately show up with a helicopter or fighter jet that has 2 wheels attached somewhere. Everything is possible given time x money formula.

In unrelated news, check the new Fort9 video, it's great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv97i_-V7hA

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mirconium posted:

This is a philosophical tug of war that never stops, because people desperately need a reason for racing to exist other than just being really cool.

A revealing example is my aforementioned motoGP traction aids. HRC whined like little piss babies when they had their trick system taken off them and the justification was the one you've given above: we race to develop road bike technology and we can't do that if you clamp down on the technology.

Bullshit #1: the previous gen Fireblade, let alone every other Honda road bike, had notoriously rubbish electronics they only really corrected with the last-hurrah version of the bike because Suzuki and everyone else having much better systems was getting embarrassing. So any developments that came out of gp were never used.

Bullshit #2: wsbk is the place to develop esc, because their rules tie the bikes directly to the road products and the data you get from racing the exact same frame and engine as you sell is far more useful than what you get from Marc Marquez' bespoke unicorn. Honda have been noticeably terrible and absent in this class for half a decade, they have finally decided to pull finger and start putting money into superbikes again because they've finally realised gp is primarily for dick waving and prestige.

Oh and as for derestricted development: HRC's special system was able to measure torque at the sprocket and tyre grip in order to make dynamic, real time adjustments to the torque curve that made traction management a thing of the past - the guy could literally whack it full open, the system would seamlessly match torque to lean angle and the whole thing was optimised to keep tire temperature in the Goldilocks zone, thus tyre conservation is maximised. So factory riders had a huge advantage proportionate to the size their nerd locker.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've said it before, but I think it would be a lot of fun to ride a bike with the best electronic aids money can buy, just to get a feel of how much faster the machine is than my current skills.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I, too, prefer my motorcycles with AIDS.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

I've said it before, but I think it would be a lot of fun to ride a bike with the best electronic aids money can buy, just to get a feel of how much faster the machine is than my current skills.

You can go out and buy that right now, r1, gsxr1000, zx10 and the various Europeans have absolutely cutting edge systems you have to be very, very good to improve over.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Mirconium posted:

The Dakar bikes are restricted to 450cc single right now. They're huge heavy bikes though, by dirt bike standards, and they spend a decent amount of time going flat out over relatively smooth terrain. I wonder what would happen to the designs if they were unrestricted engines. I mean aside from a lot of deaths.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Didn't KTM win their first one on a loving 950?

In my mind 'proper' long Enduro bikes are ~600cc, preferably two cylinders, like the old AT or tenere.

E: somehow missed this:

right arm posted:

I, too, prefer my motorcycles with AIDS.

That's why you've got a KTM.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I was just about to post "calling slavvy to explain the ktm aids" but he beat me to it

*edit*
drat you weren't kidding about the electronics on modern bikes

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 10, 2020

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Consumer R1 saving a slide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7XlHRG0KA&t=118s

It's pretty neat, I know it probably stunts skill development or whatever, but seems like a nice system to have.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

:hellyeah:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Mirconium posted:

It's pretty neat, I know it probably stunts skill development or whatever, but seems like a nice system to have.

IDK, I think I'd learn more from a caught slide than from lying in a ditch hurting everywhere. Your mind and body isn't screaming quite so loudly at you if you had a near miss, you have more capacity to figure out what happened and why.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mirconium posted:

Look at F1 (cars from the start until the early eighties, and the short-lived F1 bike class from the late seventies to the early nineties). For the most part the only restrictions were on engine size and overall shape and size of the vehicle, so you had stuff like H16 engines (bad) and ground-effect (formula-breakingly good) coming out of just one garage, as well as six-wheeled cars, wings mounted to the wheels, and cars with massive fans to suck them down onto the ground.

In the bike world things were slightly calmer but you still had ta succession of weird front ends (all of which failed miserably) and the Norton rotaries, which did extremely well despite the shittiness of their handling because they had a ridiculous power advantage over the competition.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

pun pundit posted:

IDK, I think I'd learn more from a caught slide than from lying in a ditch hurting everywhere. Your mind and body isn't screaming quite so loudly at you if you had a near miss, you have more capacity to figure out what happened and why.

Yeah, I think the only sensible way to approach aids like ABS etc. is that if that system ever activates you recognise it as a failure of you as a rider and treat it as seriously as you would a crash - because if not for the aid you would have just eaten poo poo/possibly be dying by the side of the road.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mirconium posted:

The way the front fairing flops around on the bike is.....yikes

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mirconium posted:

RIP that Ducati riders balls, too. Although it's possible they retracted entirely into his body when he realised he'd overcooked it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hell yeah jumping a panigale like a dirtbike

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Look at F1 (cars from the start until the early eighties, and the short-lived F1 bike class from the late seventies to the early nineties). For the most part the only restrictions were on engine size and overall shape and size of the vehicle, so you had stuff like H16 engines (bad) and ground-effect (formula-breakingly good) coming out of just one garage, as well as six-wheeled cars, wings mounted to the wheels, and cars with massive fans to suck them down onto the ground.

In the bike world things were slightly calmer but you still had ta succession of weird front ends (all of which failed miserably) and the Norton rotaries, which did extremely well despite the shittiness of their handling because they had a ridiculous power advantage over the competition.

Yeah, I really think the "saving the lives of those who aren't willing to save their own" is the bigger issue for me. Racers keep showing up to pilot all this crazy crap, just like people keep showing up to ride in the Isle of Man TT, even though it will definitely kill you. The ground effect thing was banned for safety, because once the ground effect was lost (if the bottom of the car rose from the ground for any reason, changing the dimensions of the underside tunnels), the cars had an annoying propensity to just kind of waft away on the zephyr, never to be seen again intact.

But then I'm not sure how you're supposed to penalize companies for killing their drivers. Make the company execute 3 executives every time a driver blows up?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I thought at least part of the reason for putting restrictions on racing technology is that we're already capable of building vehicles too fast for human drivers to safely operate for any length of time, even with motor racing's relaxed idea of "safety." Like how F1 drivers have to do regular neck exercises because in a 5G turn it's as if they're lying off the side of a table with a 100-pound weight hanging from their head; fighter pilots deal with that sort of thing for ten or fifteen seconds at a time, but auto racers do it for hours. It's plausible that, in 2020, a totally unrestricted racing series would see cars that could regularly pull 10g+ in the turns and, like, the human body just isn't made for that.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a series where the driver is sealed up in a liquid-filled anti-G pod so that the 20g rocket-assisted turns don't squeeze his eyeballs out his ears but then we're back to "is this kind of research really that valuable to society"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Valuable? No. Entertaining? Yes!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*Lewis Hamilton steps out of his F1 car with a 20 minute old case of scoliosis*

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED???

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'd watch it

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

:agreed:

If I had to guess I'd bet they reason they didn't just clamp down and make all the stages semi blind is similar to the evolution of electronic aids in motoGP: the organisers underestimated the size of the advantage it gave in the early days, the factories built up organisations to exploit that advantage, then when it came to cutting them back, the factories tantrummed like children because they put in all that work and now were expected to let it go to waste.

A compromise was reached wherein everyone now has to use the same basic tc system but are still allowed to bring halls full of nerds to bear on the number crunching.

I'll be curious to see where they go in the future. One of the potential issues is that the new roadbooks come pre-marked. But what if you're color blind? So to you the ASO RED FOR DANGER might look the same as the green means hey slight turn and check your compass heading. What if you've been racing for thirty years and you have your own system that you love and now you have to adapt to a new one?

I think giving the riders the roadbooks in the bivouac the night before for an hour might be the safest but then you have the issue of the factories hiring some dude with a great memory to ride and doing their mapmen hijinks with that.

or... just convert entirely to tablets. Then ASO can upload the tracks at the start for everyone and can include any last minute changes seamlessly instead of having to provide an extra little roll that has to get spliced in. There's the issue of reliability if you crash, but the same is true even of paper roadbooks.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The Dakar bikes are restricted to 450cc single right now. They're huge heavy bikes though, by dirt bike standards, and they spend a decent amount of time going flat out over relatively smooth terrain. I wonder what would happen to the designs if they were unrestricted engines. I mean aside from a lot of deaths.

Like 350 lbs I think. But a lot of that is all the extra equipment, fuel and water they're required to carry. More like 310 dry (I think). Still awfully heavy but not as bad as a 990.

The older, bigger bikes were actually slower. Faster for flat out, but slower for anything at all difficult so I expect you'd see slower speeds overall and factories electing to run 450s (or 500s for KTM).

Slavvy posted:

Didn't KTM win their first one on a loving 950?

In my mind 'proper' long Enduro bikes are ~600cc, preferably two cylinders, like the old AT or tenere.

E: somehow missed this:

Dakar is the one place where KTM is the model of reliability and Honda has tons of absurd failures.

2010 - Pizolito, fire

2014 - Paulo Goncalves, fire

2016 - Barreda, mechanical

2017 - Brabec, crashed and broke a radiator, not really sure you can blame that one on Honda but ah well. Also no picture I could find.

2018 - Brabec, fire

2019 - Brabec, engine failure

2020 - Benavides, another engine failure (no pictures as it was last night/today) but see the video below with Short riding on Price's rim.
e: now there's a picture.

Enough about Honda's failures. Today is the halfway mark of the dakar rally and an American on a Honda currently sits in first place with three Hondas in the top five (but 2 and 3 are husky and KTM).

Stage 6 highlights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIYqw5TFpEE

Toby Price opened up the stage meaning he had to navigate through the first big dunes stage. Shockingly, that didn't go super well for him. Here's the guy who started in second, Pablo Quintanilla, having caught him. https://twitter.com/dakar/status/1215549136373678081 They rode more or less together until Toby's tire blew out (look at the video and Short riding on Price's rim) and he had to wait for andrew short (riding a husky which is totally a different team and not part of KTM, swear) to give him his tire.

Here's the video, including stage highlights of other riders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ6Z7X_07Sw

Now at the rest day, Brabec is up 21 minutes on Quintanilla and 26 minutes on Price which should be enough that he can just ride it out and race not to lose. Of course, another week is still a lot of racing and Brabec has to lead things out tomorrow so if Quintanilla (starting 4th) and Price (12th) can grab 12+ minutes on the next stage that would go a long way toward making it a real race again. If they only manage three or four minutes, it really does become Ricky's race to lose.
Ricky Brabec's stories on instagram are pretty good but I'm not sure how to link them here. Here's his instagram page https://www.instagram.com/rickybrabec/?hl=en

Here's where they ran stage 4 a couple days ago. Maybe next year we'll get a snow stage!

Ross Branch is a dude from Botswana who won a stage earlier and seems like an all around good dude that people love. One of the rules is that when you're racing, you can only get assistance from other racers. NO OUTSIDE ASSISTANCE. That's why we have the trucks today. They started "racing" to provide support for the racers and then actually started racing. Anyway, his tire broke https://twitter.com/dakar/status/1215556791804841985 and...

then it broke some more

and he's 400 meters from the finish of the special stage (although he's still going to have to ride 170 km on that rim if he makes it) and can't get help from the guy who's filming because that would disqualify him.
https://www.facebook.com/ClubAventuraTouareg/videos/598776224273679/
Another guy comes back and helps him push it in. I like to think I would do that too, but man, I sure don't know.

But he made it.
https://www.facebook.com/rossi.branch/videos/532000927407043/

Some video from the morning before they leave. Listen to those bikes.
https://www.facebook.com/airglobeoffroad/videos/10221748723211374/

This channel has some nice longer clips too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3-23_k5mtQ although it's always a day behind.

Holy poo poo, Matthias Walkner is fast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdp0l5GtKAA

RIP, little car.
https://twitter.com/sadakoom/status/1215569018465157121

Needs to work on his skills like Mr. Dakar himself.
https://twitter.com/dakar/status/1215569392500645888

Protip: gently caress you, I'm a truck.
https://twitter.com/sadakoom/status/1215681380203495427

Little dusty in here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PybH3Z_S0eA

builds character fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 10, 2020

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Not only is he fast, but it's like he's on rails staying in previous riders' tracks. I'd love to see his hand eye coordination and reaction time on basic poo poo compared to a schlub like me.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Not only is he fast, but it's like he's on rails staying in previous riders' tracks. I'd love to see his hand eye coordination and reaction time on basic poo poo compared to a schlub like me.

Has to be like 100% better, right? His ability on a bike is certainly at least 10x mine anyway.

My favorite part about him is that he's kind of goofy looking. Like if you had to pick a dakar winning racer out of a crowd you could look at someone like Paulo Goncalves or adrien van beveren. Even Toby Price or Barreda.

But then there's Matthias Walkner.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://youtu.be/QLKy7IhinA4

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

:allears:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Haven’t watched the vid just checked the thumbnail—
That guy’s already been in 1 serious accident during his YouTube career right

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mewse posted:

Haven’t watched the vid just checked the thumbnail—
That guy’s already been in 1 serious accident during his YouTube career right

Yuuuup, stuffed his triumph into a Porsche

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yuuuup, stuffed his triumph into a Porsche

holy crap

Yammie Noob was cited for "Drove on Wrong Side of Road," as well as "Driving While License Invalid (Suspended/Habitual Violator)." No citation for excessive speed was issued to either party.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I thought he killed two Daytonas? Luckily his problem was the Triumph was too slow, the Hayabusa should let him power out of any dangerous situation.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah he wrecked a triumph before that running wide in a turn I believe

Yammie noob is the real life version of the meme where a new rider comes into a thread asking what 600cc sportbike to buy as a first bike and everyone tells them to just skip it and get a busa, except he didn’t realize it was a joke

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I thought at least part of the reason for putting restrictions on racing technology is that we're already capable of building vehicles too fast for human drivers to safely operate for any length of time, even with motor racing's relaxed idea of "safety." Like how F1 drivers have to do regular neck exercises because in a 5G turn it's as if they're lying off the side of a table with a 100-pound weight hanging from their head; fighter pilots deal with that sort of thing for ten or fifteen seconds at a time, but auto racers do it for hours. It's plausible that, in 2020, a totally unrestricted racing series would see cars that could regularly pull 10g+ in the turns and, like, the human body just isn't made for that.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a series where the driver is sealed up in a liquid-filled anti-G pod so that the 20g rocket-assisted turns don't squeeze his eyeballs out his ears but then we're back to "is this kind of research really that valuable to society"

Williams were playing with that problem at the height of their pomp in the late 80s/early 90s. They at least mocked up a car with the driver lying on their stomach, with their head just above and behind the front suspension. Although it was originally explored for aerodynamics reasons, because the driver's shoulders were higher up it protected the driver's neck from lateral G much more than a standard seating position. Of course there were one or two other problems with the design, but Frank Williams considered them acceptable tradeoffs (no team owner has had more contempt for drivers than him, even Colin "who cares if the drivers are pissing blood, this suspension design is shaving half a second off our lap times" Chapman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I find his videos to be obnoxious :shrug:

I’ve never seen that video of his crash, though, holy poo poo.