Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

AlexanderCA posted:

BAH GAWD, THAT'S DAHIR INSAAT'S MUSIC!

lmao i had the same thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Captain von Trapp posted:

At a certain point, "stuff at F-22ft in the air" includes electrons jiggling around in the sensor electronics that look like stuff at F-22ft in the air. From a detection and tracking standpoint, the universe is filled with tiny flecks of noise flying around and looking like small signal targets.

Imagine being in Boston trying to pick up an FM radio station in Mongolia. You can turn up the volume as high as you want, but all you're going to get is louder static.

I would think sidelobes are likely a bigger issue. While a radar will transmit and receive most strongly along a certain direction, the radar is still sensitive to signals in directions outside the main beam. Even if you're aiming straight up into the sky, some of that energy will be radiated into ground clutter and picked up through a sidelobe. If you set the sensitivity too high, all you'll see are phantom images from stuff that's not really in the direction that the radar is pointing.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

AlexanderCA posted:

BAH GAWD, THAT'S DAHIR INSAAT'S MUSIC!

:perfect:

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
I believe I read somewhere that Canada had been in negotiations with Iran to buy those F-14's at some point in time.
Dunno what happened there.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nucken Futz posted:

I believe I read somewhere that Canada had been in negotiations with Iran to buy those F-14's at some point in time.

Some kind of caper no doubt

Linky https://tacairnet.com/2015/02/15/the-cf-14-eh-tomcat/

priznat fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 9, 2020

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Nucken Futz posted:

Ever since those buried spitfires in Thailand fell through, we had to look elsewhere for a hornet replacement.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Blistex posted:

Ever since those buried spitfires in Thailand fell through, we had to look elsewhere for a hornet replacement.

:drat:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

NightGyr posted:

F135:
Length: 220 inches
Inlet diameter: 43 inches
Maximum diameter: 46 inches
Weight: ~5400 lbs
It's a much bigger engine than the F100s in the F15 or the F101s in the B-1.

40 inches longer, but about the same diameter as the Mig-21 engine? I'm getting stupid ideas again.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Also, thanks for the radar answers. Not entirely sure I understand it all, but it's close.

On a related radar/Cold War question...

Are SPAAGS like Gepards and Shilkas supposed to operate on the move (rushing with the tanks or whatever), or would they have to do some sort of... bounding overwatch?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Shilkas are notorious for shaking themselves to pieces even when parked. I doubt firing on the move would help.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Iran 'mistakenly shot down Ukraine jet' - US media

quote:

Iran mistakenly shot down the Ukrainian plane that crashed on Wednesday near Tehran with 176 people on board, US media report.

US officials say they believe the Ukrainian International Airlines Boeing 737-800 was hit by a missile, CBS says.

Ukraine earlier said it was examining whether a missile strike brought down the aircraft - but Iran ruled this out.

The crash came just hours after Iran carried out missile strikes on two airbases housing US forces in Iraq.

CBS News quoting US intelligence said a satellite detected infrared "blips" of two missile launches, followed by another blip of an explosion.

Meanwhile, Newsweek quoted a Pentagon and a senior US intelligence officials, as well as an Iraqi intelligence official as saying they believed the Ukrainian plane was hit by a Russian-made Tor missile.

US President Donald Trump on Thursday said "I have my suspicions" over the plane. "Somebody could have made a mistake," he said.

Amid tensions heightened by the US killing of top Iranian general Qasem Soleimani on 3 January, Iran has said it will not hand over the recovered black box flight recorders to Boeing, the plane's manufacturer, or to the US.

Under global aviation rules Iran has the right to lead the investigation, but manufacturers are typically involved.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Could the missiles have been launched by rogue actors or hackers? I know that would be dumb, but this is a dumb timeline.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Probably just an incredibly nervous local ADA commander.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That's a really bad fuckup

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Especially since taking out Soleimani wasn't internationally popular, but Iran turning around and taking down a civilian flight that just departed their own airport without even any US citizens on board is a pretty bad look.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Shilkas were supposed to directly accompany the tanks, they really don't have the range to setup and stand off.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Smiling Jack posted:

This is all completely hypothetical but EW has probably progressed to the point of hitting enemy electronics with loving code injection broadcasts. :tinfoil:

The sensor war is rapidly approaching magic/more magic levels of understanding to the layman.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Outside_the_Box

Israel's been hacking radars for 15 years. Who knows what they're up to these days.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

RandomPauI posted:

Could the missiles have been launched by rogue actors or hackers? I know that would be dumb, but this is a dumb timeline.

I'm going to say it's unlikely just given the proximity to Tehran. But that's pure speculation, especially given that nobody's taken credit for it.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

It's almost inevitable that this incident is going to be Iran anti air defense accidently targeting a civilian aircraft thinking it could be a US counter attack.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Question. Can SBIRS/STSS actually detect a launch of a missile as small as the Gauntlet? And if yes, would that information be published so easily (thus revealing the capacity)?

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 9, 2020

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Kafouille posted:

Shilkas were supposed to directly accompany the tanks, they really don't have the range to setup and stand off.

Yeah, the Shilka / Gepard / Sgt York :histdowns: were supposed to be accompanying armored units. They didn't have very long range for AD units, being gun based.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Dante80 posted:

Question. Can SBIRS actually detect a launch of a missile as small as the Gauntlet? And if yes, would that information be published so easily (thus revealing the capacity)?

You don't need SBIRS if you've already got Tehran under heavy satellite / drone / ELINT surveillance.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

NightGyr posted:

You don't need SBIRS if you've already got Tehran under heavy satellite / drone / ELINT surveillance.

Well yeah, but the Pentagon report talked about catching two missile launches on infra-red. That is SBIRS/STSS, unless we are trying to say that the US had another RQ-4 in the area (pretty slim chance, given what happened six months ago).

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 9, 2020

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Dante80 posted:

Question. Can SBIRS/STSS actually detect a launch of a missile as small as the Gauntlet? And if yes, would that information be published so easily (thus revealing the capacity)?

That's the definition of ”anyone who knows won't say, and anyone who says doesn't know."

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Yeah, guess so. It just seemed weird to me, since the Pentagon could have used slightly different language to say the same thing. Without having to hint at certain capabilities.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

aphid_licker posted:

That's a really bad fuckup

At least we probably won't give the commander a medal this time.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Dante80 posted:

The US, or people speaking from sources in the US government, claimed that we detected the lunch(es) associated with MH17 by those means.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Dante80 posted:

Yeah, guess so. It just seemed weird to me, since the Pentagon could have used slightly different language to say the same thing. Without having to hint at certain capabilities.

I mean you can certainly read the press release as an indirect answer to your question, and it's your judgement to find that credible or not. You likely won't get a hard answer saying "yes they have this capability," you certainly won't get someone saying "here's the limit of detection, which a certain system does/does not fall within."

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Smiling Jack posted:

This is all completely hypothetical but EW has probably progressed to the point of hitting enemy electronics with loving code injection broadcasts. :tinfoil:

The sensor war is rapidly approaching magic/more magic levels of understanding to the layman.

Semi-related, I do wonder the degree to which equipment designed for export (like all those Russian AA batteries) also contain backdoors to prevent them from being used against the manufacturing nation.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Kesper North posted:

Semi-related, I do wonder the degree to which equipment designed for export (like all those Russian AA batteries) also contain backdoors to prevent them from being used against the manufacturing nation.

I'd speculate that a few of them may have back doors to keep them from being used against the offending nations.

https://www.wired.com/2011/10/virus-hits-drone-fleet/

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

glynnenstein posted:

The US, or people speaking from sources in the US government, claimed that we detected the lunch(es) associated with MH17 by those means.

Ah thanks, I didn't know that.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

hypnophant posted:

you certainly won't get someone saying "here's the limit of detection, which a certain system does/does not fall within."

It doesn't matter at that point since you can extrapolate the lower end by crunching the semi-confirmed capability against a known asset.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

glynnenstein posted:

That must've been a spicy meal!:dadjoke:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

glynnenstein posted:

Imagine, right now, in a server deep within Langley, is a database that contains the fact I had Noodles and Co today for lunch because a satellite spotted me leaving there on my way back to work.

I'm of course joking. I paid by credit card, so the government knows what I eat basically every day without needing a satellite.

Edit: gently caress, just beaten.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

A.o.D. posted:

Probably just an incredibly nervous local ADA commander.

This.

As I recall the President mentioned the number 52 from the embassy, and the Supreme Leader followed up be saying he could remember the number 290 from the airliner shootdown.

Which is a fair cop as far as it goes, but I bet we won't hear it again.

Side note for this page in general: in a forum like this where there are some people in the know, we should all be a good sport and try not to elicit stuff that shouldn't be elicited.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

At this point, I have to reveal that I am a spy for the Holy See armed forces.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Dante80 posted:

At this point, I have to reveal that I am a spy for the Holy See armed forces.

Post pics of your halberd

brains
May 12, 2004

meanwhile, in Egypt...

just a pair of Russian-made KA-52s lining up in front of US-made AH-64s on a French Mistral LHD

from https://defence-blog.com/news/russian-made-ka-52-and-apache-helicopters-meet-face-to-face-in-egypt.html

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
So annoyed Canada didn’t buy those mistrals :sigh:

Not that we could afford them, crew them, or have aircraft to put on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brains
May 12, 2004

if only there was strapped-down avenger in the background, i could have had a bingo :sigh: