Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Orphen remake seems pretty drat average so far. I fully admit most of my complaints probably come from watching the original anime series first, but the staff on this have pretty drat clearly watched it too given the identical character designs. Except for the Bloody August dragon, surprisingly. The original Bloody August was a gorgeously-disturbing massive dragon that just looked... wrong. Almost Cthulonic even in its proportions. It'd also arrive by simply shattering its goddamn way through reality like glass from gently caress-knows-where too just to flaunt its power. In this version, it's just a very generic green dragon :nallears:.

I'm also not really a fan of the flashy magic circles, but that's more of a personal nitpick.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i couldn't handle any more id invaded after they casually mentioned that they had a murder vibes detection device, which was even capable of tracking down a specific individual's murder vibes. like, if you have that why the gently caress are you doing all that ridiculous vr dream world nonsense? mass produce the things, then do a grid search.

That actually comes up in the show; Nobody is supposed to know about it, and it'd probably raise a whole uproar over privacy and thought-policing if people found out. They also mention sticking a GPS tracker on it specifically in case it goes missing as it's probably their only one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Bullbar posted:

HAIKYUU!!

Do we know when it actually starts/when it will be on crunchyroll?

It starts on the 11th

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
wtf orphan has a new show?!

looks, kinda not good, :/ the 90s op was the coolest part of that show anyhow

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Honest Thief posted:

wtf orphan has a new show?!

looks, kinda not good, :/ the 90s op was the coolest part of that show anyhow

Apparently it's supposed to be like the "Brotherhood" to the original's FMA, working off the full complete source material instead of just the first few light novels. I'm gonna stick with it for a few episodes to see if it picks up, but so far it's just aggressively average.

And the first OP of the original series as an absolute banger :rock:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMbFIAU5WIQ

This is the new show's;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlcME7IPQ5Q

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I hope someone will be subbing Natsunagu, it looks cute and good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That actually comes up in the show; Nobody is supposed to know about it, and it'd probably raise a whole uproar over privacy and thought-policing if people found out. They also mention sticking a GPS tracker on it specifically in case it goes missing as it's probably their only one.

a device that can detect a specific murderer after they murder someone is revolutionary, even miraculous. why the heck would you keep something like that a secret? it's positively benign compared to the actual poo poo a surveillance state gets up to.

the rest of it was about why the serial killer killed people in that particular way. except, the whole point of getting inside the head of an active serial killer is to track them down and that's not really necessary here. the why just plain doesn't matter when the where and the who are confirmed. the vr stuff is pointless wankery when they have a magic wand that can instantly solve any murder mystery.

i'm still in fuckin' awe of how nuts that is. sadly, the rest of the show is probably going to be mostly about the pointless wankery instead of waving around a bar code scanner to solve crimes.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's good wanking

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

dogsicle posted:

it's good wanking

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

a device that can detect a specific murderer after they murder someone is revolutionary, even miraculous. why the heck would you keep something like that a secret? it's positively benign compared to the actual poo poo a surveillance state gets up to.

the rest of it was about why the serial killer killed people in that particular way. except, the whole point of getting inside the head of an active serial killer is to track them down and that's not really necessary here. the why just plain doesn't matter when the where and the who are confirmed. the vr stuff is pointless wankery when they have a magic wand that can instantly solve any murder mystery.

i'm still in fuckin' awe of how nuts that is. sadly, the rest of the show is probably going to be mostly about the pointless wankery instead of waving around a bar code scanner to solve crimes.

Because the device only works in a specific vicinity. That’s why. They can’t be like “ah, let’s fire up the ol’ murdergun. Ah it found out the killer is at the abandoned playground.” So they have to do the detective work to find out they need to be in that general area to begin with.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

dogsicle posted:

it's good wanking

I didn't expect anyone to post about Overflow.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's maple time

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

Because the device only works in a specific vicinity. That’s why. They can’t be like “ah, let’s fire up the ol’ murdergun. Ah it found out the killer is at the abandoned playground.” So they have to do the detective work to find out they need to be in that general area to begin with.

again, that's only a problem if they have a limited supply. it works from a moving vehicle a couple blocks away. so, if they had a larger amount of magical murder vibe detectors it would be trivially easy to do a large scale search. what's more, the killer lived in the same neighborhood as some of the victims! that'd be a pretty good area to search before resorting to prison detective shenanigans.

i can't stop picturing detective conan becoming completely dejected because the cops instantly solve the dozen murders he encounters every week by waving a magic wand. it's way better than id, the actual show could ever be.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Bofuri was cute. I'll stick with it

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah Shield Art Online was cute and silly. The shield heroine is just stupidly OP though.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I really regret watching Plunderer because boy it really loves to play up sexual assault. “Hey how often can we have male characters trying to pry open the female lead’s legs in an angle that looks super rapey?”

The answer is a lot. I like a good fan service show, but this just completely disgusted me. Do yourself a favour and don’t check this one out. Wish I waited for some reviews.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
https://files.catbox.moe/nmadd7.webm

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Usagi-sannnnn

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fun fact, Usagi-San is based off of apple slices shaped like bunnies, as seen in the hit comedy anime Yuru Yuri

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think in the manga version it just straight up gets so exhausted of running into her it dies, unintentional shield bash is fine too

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Eizouken is amazing and is an early AOTY candidate. First episode was as perfect as can be.

Chihayafuru continues to be great into the new cour.

Bang Dream is always a fun time. Chu2 is an extremely lovable awful trash goblin and I'm glad it seems like we're going to be getting some more focus on her and her band this season.

My Hero Academia continues to be solid! I still have some lingering annoyances with the show, but it's overall been rewarding me greatly for not giving up on it after the slog that was last season's license arc, hopefully it can keep this up.

Magia Record premiere didn't exactly thrill me, but I'm in for the ride because I can't say no to more Madoka. Hopefully it'll develop into something worth the trip.

Koisuru Asteroid is gay and pretty. The actual writing and dialogue felt pretty uninspired to me from the first episode, but I'll keep going with it and see if it shapes up.

Room Camp was charming but short and insubstantial enough that it mostly just made me look forward to the actual new season of full Yuru Camp episodes.

Hentatsu was 90 seconds long and I'm not sure what I watched. Thank you Tatsuki and friends.

Bofuri is kind of cute but also pretty dull. I wanted to enjoy it but the premiere didn't do very much for me. MC's ever-confident idiocy was charming, but the humor and pacing were just so mild and sedate.

Id:Invaded is stylish as heck but the writing hasn't given me much to care about. Maybe it'll go somewhere that matters to me but I'm not super optimistic at the moment.

Pet felt like I had accidentally un-dropped Babylon. No thank you.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

nielsm posted:

Yeah Shield Art Online was cute and silly. The shield heroine is just stupidly OP though.

The manga does a good job of her being OP and still having to strategize to succeed, so every boss encounter isn't just mashing her I Win button. There are some fun boss fight concepts, and I hope they're well-animated.

ID:INVADED is riding on style and well-set tone to be sure. I don't think the handheld murder detector diminishes it at all, and it's not as much of a magic bullet as described.

Asteroid Girls are so sweet and pure, I wonder how any real conflict will be introduced without feeling forced. Any show with an Ara Ara Senpai gets three episodes, though. I don't make the rules.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Gripweed posted:

It starts on the 11th

Thanks. Absolutely cannot wait

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Clitch posted:

so every boss encounter isn't just mashing her I Win button

The funny thing is it literally is for the first few chapters until the devs nerf her gear to make it have limited uses per day instead of being at-will.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 9, 2020

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Lemon-Lime posted:

spoilers, such as they are

come on, there's barely any plot as it is

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The best part of Bofuri was her extremely fierce and scary roar back at the boss.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 9, 2020

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

So far Kawaii Shield Hero anime is much more enjoyable than Misogynist Shield Hero anime.

RIP Usagi-san. You will be missed.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Wicked Them Beats posted:

So far Kawaii Shield Hero anime is much more enjoyable than Misogynist Shield Hero anime.

RIP Usagi-san. You will be missed.

Meanwhile Dendrogram had basically the same first episode, only it's boring instead of cute

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if they honestly just went "gently caress it, let's get a VA with the same name as the MC" for Bofuri.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/AniTrendz/status/1215093154585763840?s=20

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Wark Say posted:

I wonder if they honestly just went "gently caress it, let's get a VA with the same name as the MC" for Bofuri.

She seems fine for the part at least from the clip above.

Stupid slow Amazon Canada probably won't have it up for another day or two since they have to do French subs by law.

Eizouken was good enough for me to resub to Crunchyroll even though I still hate them for funding Shield Hero.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
alas, it turns out crunchyroll is a corporation

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

imo paying their translators garbage wages while showing off their fancy new office is a bigger crime than not liking one of the many anime they were on the committee for.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Motto posted:

imo paying their translators garbage wages is a bigger crime than not liking one of the many anime they were on the committee for.

:emptyquote:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mokinokaro posted:

She seems fine for the part at least from the clip above.
Oh no, she's fine. It's just something of a funny thing that a character called Kaede Honjo/Maple is voiced by a VA called Kaede Hondo.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

toilet bound hanako-kun is cool, i can't put my finger on what the artstyle reminds me of but it looks nice and works well with that director's panelling obsession

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

panelling obsession

oh this loving guy again

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Woah, this could be interesting.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

OshiBudo was as pretty as I'd hoped for, coming from the director and much of the same staff known for Yama No Susume, but unfortunately that was really about it. Spent most of its runtime on pretty weak Obsessive Otaku jokes, just fundamentally wasn't very funny despite strong direction. My first real disappointment of the season.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
As someone who has been in idolator lines, it was very true to life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Allarion posted:

As someone who has been in idolator lines, it was very true to life

Being true to life does not necessarily make good tv!!!