Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Falling into water is usually a Fall Accident, but very shallow water can be an exception. The hot spring in Hokkaido counts for Drowning for example, which was the only way to drown the Hospital Director while disguised as him before they made tranquilizers not kill SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Nakar posted:

Falling into water is usually a Fall Accident, but very shallow water can be an exception. The hot spring in Hokkaido counts for Drowning for example, which was the only way to drown the Hospital Director while disguised as him before they made tranquilizers not kill SA.

CJ has an awesome vid of Haven speedrun where you start in the shark hut and shoot the side of the building to make the target start running through the shallow water under the huts then you shoot her in the leg and she will trip in the water and drown in an "accident".

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

CJ has an awesome vid of Haven speedrun where you start in the shark hut and shoot the side of the building to make the target start running through the shallow water under the huts then you shoot her in the leg and she will trip in the water and drown in an "accident".
He actually knocks her down with a muffin. This is a legitimate piece of tech: Muffin throws are less inherently suspicious than knockout throws, letting you accident kill people in Haven's water in full view of NPCs.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I've probably put about 100 hours into Hitman across both games but just noticed that when you start in Rangan Tower as one of the dancers your aviators don't show up in the mirror, absolute bullshit, I'll take my refund now Io

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They're vampire aviators. Duh.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

That speed run was the one that made me realise there will always be people who think the game mechanics through so much more than I do, and I’ll never hit the top ranks for any of the levels. I have no issue with that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'm trying to nail down some lingering challenges before I throw myself at Ghost mode (please hmu if you'd like to trade wins/coordinate challenge completions or w/e). And...

Holiday Hoarders not allowing saves this time around is remarkably, incredibly bullshit. Tragic since the lighting is so good this time around.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 2, 2020

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i tried making a thing, and it didn't work, so then i tried to force it to work, and it's sort of ok i guess

Name of Contract: Skald
Platform: PC
Contract ID: 1-21-2821869-95

tbh it's not the kind of contract i'd look at and say "yeah i'd play that"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Is that exit what I think it is?

Aug 24, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Is that exit what I think it is?

no, it's the one with 3 guards

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

where the red fern gropes posted:

no, it's the one with 3 guards

That's not the 'exit via swan dive' one then, is it?

Actually, can you use an exit like that for a contract? I wonder.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 3, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

You could in 2016, but they’ve closed them off this time red fern infamously created a contract with the Colorado joke exit and got it featured...when most of the community didn’t know that exit existed yet!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Discendo Vox posted:

You could in 2016, but they’ve closed them off this time red fern infamously created a contract with the Colorado joke exit and got it featured...when most of the community didn’t know that exit existed yet!
That isn't true, most joke exits work. You can require use of the dolphin fountains on Miami, and even the Stig exit. The reason you don't see more Swan Dive or Stig contracts is that they're impossible to SA, as their accessibility is tied to the deaths of the Knoxes and Washingtons respectively, and if they aren't targets you're forced to kill them as non-targets.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Nakar posted:

That isn't true, most joke exits work. You can require use of the dolphin fountains on Miami, and even the Stig exit. The reason you don't see more Swan Dive or Stig contracts is that they're impossible to SA, as their accessibility is tied to the deaths of the Knoxes and Washingtons respectively, and if they aren't targets you're forced to kill them as non-targets.

That's what I was thinking of, apologies.

Aug 24, 2011

Red Oktober posted:

That's not the 'exit via swan dive' one then, is it?

Actually, can you use an exit like that for a contract? I wonder.

that one's at the effigy. in hindsight, my description fits that exit much better - i completely forgot it was a thing. now that you mention it, i'm considering a contract that does require that exit, but it would require more targets than just the washingtons to be interesting, and using story targets in contracts can be a bit lame if it's not done properly.

Discendo Vox posted:

point of order, it was nakar's contract, i just floated the idea

that reminds me - nakar, how did you make The Lion Sleeps Tonight? i'm looking for ways to flag targets at great distances, or just break out of (and back into) the map

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

where the red fern gropes posted:

that reminds me - nakar, how did you make The Lion Sleeps Tonight? i'm looking for ways to flag targets at great distances, or just break out of (and back into) the map
I got out of bounds using the subdue glitch near the docks, then carefully approached the far dock and tagged the target (you could also use the vault glitch, but I think that's fixed in 2018 where the subdue OOB thing isn't). If the freecam mod from 2016 was ever ported to work in 2018, that is a much simpler answer, as you can tag targets in freecam. Haven't checked on that since 2016 though.

OOBing would allow you to make a non-firearm kill contract, but in 2016 at least the Bangkok riverbed was insanely difficult to stabilize on and falling through the world was a constant risk. Getting back in bounds in Bangkok is trivial (or at least, fairly easy), so it's just a matter of getting out, finding a way to tag him with an explosive or shuriken or something, and getting back to create a seemingly impossible contract.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I still dream of a contract involving that conductor in mumbai.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Discendo Vox posted:

I still dream of a contract involving that conductor in mumbai.

1-13-1360900-83

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Nalesh posted:

1-13-1360900-83

How? There is nobody on the leaderboards for this one, so nobody has done this, not even the person who created it?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Lollerich posted:

How? There is nobody on the leaderboards for this one, so nobody has done this, not even the person who created it?

Well, I haven't tested it but he jumps off seconds before the crash, so it might be possible to tag him this way. Either that or some OOB fuckery.

Aug 24, 2011

something i submitted to featureds, but if it doesnt get picked here it is in advance

Name of Contract: Doctor Roovers’ Unexcellent Adventure
Platform: PC
Contract ID: 1-10-9637836-95

hokkaido hospital room with the 3 doctors

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-2-january-content-calendar/

mr. bean is being reactivated again

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm glad, that's a fantastic piece of content

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Must be a bit annoying that you can’t do it again if you’ve already done it. Especially since there’s new weapons now.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Honestly I just want them to ditch the ET format next game. I know some people absolutely love it, but to me it's just dumb how much effort is wasted, because of the limited time/attempt restrictions a nontrivial amount of players will just follow the easiest route (potentially copied from Youtube). Even people who are mildly interested in figuring it out for themselves are massively incentivized to go with the path of least resistance, in order to complete the ET and getting all the rewards. Because the alternative is briefly having a more interesting time, but loving themselves out of the ET and its rewards for the future.

They could make (some of) the rewards time limited/a one-time thing (although personally I don't like that either) and just let us replay the past ETs (no matter if they were ever attempted, completed or failed before) for the hell of it in between new ones.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

orcane posted:

Honestly I just want them to ditch the ET format next game. I know some people absolutely love it, but to me it's just dumb how much effort is wasted, because of the limited time/attempt restrictions a nontrivial amount of players will just follow the easiest route (potentially copied from Youtube). Even people who are mildly interested in figuring it out for themselves are massively incentivized to go with the path of least resistance, in order to complete the ET and getting all the rewards. Because the alternative is briefly having a more interesting time, but loving themselves out of the ET and its rewards for the future.

They could make (some of) the rewards time limited/a one-time thing (although personally I don't like that either) and just let us replay the past ETs (no matter if they were ever attempted, completed or failed before) for the hell of it in between new ones.

Since they're already requiring you to be online, I can't see why they couldn't do something where, say, you can only attempt an ET once per 24 hour period or something like that. So you keep the pressure of needing to do a good run, but at the same time not making all this content that the vast majority of players are just going to cheese with the electrocution phone anyway.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The Undying is back this month, the first version.

Because he's a reactivation everyone who's done it before can't do it again. :(

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Honestly I don't see why you can't do elusive targets any time you want just without going on the leaderboards/getting the rewards.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nalesh posted:

Honestly I don't see why you can't do elusive targets any time you want just without going on the leaderboards/getting the rewards.

Seriously. One you've failed or succeeded that should be your final result, but then you should get to be able to just go back in and gently caress around for fun.

Would also be cool if you could make contracts with ETs.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm going to get to 100% the ET unlocks! :yay:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

:laffo: at not being able to redo these if you failed them. I guess it sucks for me that I tried on my own instead of immediately Youtubing the solutions.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

UnknownMercenary posted:

:laffo: at not being able to redo these if you failed them. I guess it sucks for me that I tried on my own instead of immediately Youtubing the solutions.

As long as you don't kill anyone(Or just the target? I can't remember, there's a list of what you can and can't do in elusive targets somewhere) you can redo the mission, so what most people do is do one recon run and then do their proper run.

Aug 24, 2011

they should have time-limited/daily contracts instead of time-limited exclusive content

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Nalesh posted:

As long as you don't kill anyone(Or just the target? I can't remember, there's a list of what you can and can't do in elusive targets somewhere) you can redo the mission, so what most people do is do one recon run and then do their proper run.

For the Whittleton Creek ET I sniped the dude from the treehouse because I've been able to get away with killing targets from there before, but not that time. Immediately lit up before I could even leave the treehouse. Won't get another shot at it if it reactivates because of this dumb limitation.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Worst comes to worst, throw an exploding rubber duck. No one suspects the exploding rubber duck

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
The best thing about having gotten the required number of ET SA kills is that you can kill all the other ETs however you like, with silence being completely optional.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Silence may be optional for you, but I'm a tRaInEd PrOfEsSiOnAl. :colbert:

Which is why my electrophone gets such a workout on ETs :sigh:

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 9, 2020

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I thought professionals had standards? :v:

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
I get the theory behind Elusive Targets - for IOI, time-limited content is a way to keep interest in the game and for players the one attempt rule means the stakes are much higher than normal and thus more exciting.

In practice though, I don't think it works. Hitman has always been about freely playing with toys in a sandbox. ETs restrict that freedom severely and so (imo) don't jive well with most of the playerbase. Some people of course do get really into the one-shot/high stakes nature as intended, but I reckon the majority of people either follow a youtube guide or ignore them completely. I may be wrong on that, but that's the impression I get. And that's a shame, because IOI has put work into the ET dialogue and scripting that most people will never see because they'll do the safest kill they can.

If I was in charge for Hitman 3: Baldo's Revenge I would ditch ETs and improve on the Special Assignment concept instead. I know that's a bold statement to make as the ones so far (Mumbai in particular) have been underwhelming. But what if all the resources for ETs went into Special Assignments instead? Ideally, they'd be a halfway house between ETs and the expansion missions like Haven Island. They'd use existing locations but with layout tweaks and fun scripted stuff for the new targets, I'm thinking along the lines of the Xmas Paris mission, with a small set of challenges. As permanent content, IOI would have more of a reason to put resources into them than ETs.

And if they absolutely have to keep the time-limited aspect, you could have them active for longer than ETs because there's more to do and you can actually replay them. Perhaps 4 weeks each on a staggered 2-week cycle? So for each month, that means you'd have one active for two weeks, that ends and a second starts, then there would be a third active for all four weeks. Gives plenty of time for people to play and complete them and means there's something fresh regularly. The downside is this means IOI needs 24 a year which even with repeating some over the year and combining old ETs into Spec Assignment missions for the old maps maybe that's too much. I dunno. But personally, I would happily trade what, 6 ETs for a new Paris Xmas-style mission every 2 months.

Or I like Jerusalem's idea too: keep making ETs, first kill is your permanent score but you can replay them whenever for funsies if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

oooh, idea

Mumbai
High Intensity Training
1. Kill the Maelstrom, Vanya Shah, and Dawood Rangan with a train.
2. Complete the mission with Silent Assassin.