Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

McTimmy posted:

The Kingdom was hyperfucked by being the Kingdom. Seriously, Faerghus loving sucks and Gilbert/Rodrigue saying "people are starving in the streets!" and acting like how that wasn't how Faerghus was before the coup is ridiculous.

It's called out that the Empire specifically targeted and destroyed as much infrastructure as humanly possible and is collectively punishing civilians. In any case I was saying people say that about Edelgard because it is explicitly playing up that she is literally the devil in that route. It downplays everything else to play up the counter-offensive being a holy crusade led by the goddess herself against the forces of gay satan. Also Claude's there!

I'm really glad I picked that one to start the others sound p boring in comparison :v:

quote:

Edelgard picked up Jeritza to keep a cap on his bloodlust. And she mostly succeeded by keeping him on target and killing Siltherers. I don't think he'll ever even attack the villagers either.

I just think it's funny that she picked the guy dressed as a demon who will not shut up about slaughtering peasants to be her number two instead of doing anything else with him, like therapy jail

e: While I get what you're saying about the translation, I'm going to continue talking about the version of the game I actually played sorry

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I just think it's funny that she picked the guy dressed as a demon who will not shut up about slaughtering peasants to be her number two instead of doing anything else with him, like therapy jail

e: While I get what you're saying about the translation, I'm going to continue talking about the version of the game I actually played sorry

I mean Dedue and Catherine both say they're fine with killing children if their lord and master deems it right so...

Yeah, I know continuing to harp on about the translation is irritating to everyone. So, in something less "the translation screwed over Edelgard" because lordly everyone's sick of that... Dedue actually does swear vengeance for Duscur on CF 17 in the Japanese. instead of only swearing vengeance for Lambert in English.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

McTimmy posted:

I mean Dedue and Catherine both say they're fine with killing children if their lord and master deems it right so...

Yeah, I know continuing to harp on about the translation is irritating to everyone. So, in something less "the translation screwed over Edelgard" because lordly everyone's sick of that... Dedue actually does swear vengeance for Duscur on CF 17 in the Japanese. instead of only swearing vengeance for Lambert in English.

Good point with those two lol, someone find them a spooky costume to join in on the fun :haw:

Also don't worry about it, I don't mind you pointing out the differences I just can't really say anything on it.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Is the first year school phase in each of the path's exactly same until you get to the end? I've only started my first NG+ now and it looks like even though I picked a different house they still give you the same tasks each month.

I don't mind too much if it is, I still get a new set of characters and paralogues but it does kind of suck to do some of the same stuff over again.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Is the first year school phase in each of the path's exactly same until you get to the end? I've only started my first NG+ now and it looks like even though I picked a different house they still give you the same tasks each month.

I don't mind too much if it is, I still get a new set of characters and paralogues but it does kind of suck to do some of the same stuff over again.

Yes, White Clouds is always the same, except the character events are, naturally, different.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Yeah, Part 1 is identical to every route until the last stage. They only really change in Part 2.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Onmi posted:

Yes, Silver Snow is always the same, except the character events are, naturally, different.

You mean White Clouds

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Sudden Javelin posted:

You mean White Clouds

That's what I said. Don't know where you got the idea I ever said otherwise.:argh:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Blue Lions has a special cutscene (the best one in the game tbh) near the end of part 1, but aside from that it’s just different characters reacting to the events around them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the last chapter of part 1's different if you pick edelgard but it's the same map

tho really part 2 also has a ton of overlap between every route

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I would legitimately pay like $5-$10 for a DLC that did nothing but add a "Skip Part 1" option.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Sydin posted:

I would legitimately pay like $5-$10 for a DLC that did nothing but add a "Skip Part 1" option.

Fool, you need that time to train Bernadetta to A rank in axes

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sydin posted:

The biggest thing stopping me from replaying is replaying the first half and the endless monastery grind again

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the route selection should have been at the end of chapter 11 tbh

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jade Mage posted:

Fool, you need that time to train Bernadetta to A rank in axes

I mean, in my ideal world how it would work is after you pick your route it gives you a menu with the "default" roster for that route, and you could then spend the endless mountain of professor points you get for completing the game on recruiting characters from other houses, changing classes, and upgrading weapon ranks. So the option wouldn't be that useful your first or second time through the game, but by the time you're on your 3rd or higher playthrough you can just set the game up at Part 2 however the hell you'd like.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

BisbyWorl posted:

Each stat has a % chance of going up on level, with whatever class the unit is in adding in a modifier.

As an example, Byleth has a 45% chance of gaining Strength on each level. If they're classed as a Fighter, they gain an additional 5% chance to gain strength, but takes a 5% penalty to Res growth in exchange.

If you get lucky, it is entirely possible to get a level where every stat gets a boost. But on the other hand, there's nothing to stop you from gaining barely any. (Although I'm fairly sure the game is designed so you always get at least two stats per level)

An important thing to note is that you can use Divine Pulses to roll back a bad level, but levels are fixed for the entire map so you'll have to keep that unit out of combat until the next map.

Thanks. I'm doing my best to tell the min-max part of my brain that all current evidence, including what people have told me and the battles I've already done, point to the combat being brain-dead simple that I shouldn't fret over optimization

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thanks. I'm doing my best to tell the min-max part of my brain that all current evidence, including what people have told me and the battles I've already done, point to the combat being brain-dead simple that I shouldn't fret over optimization

The combat is pretty simple, and I don't think you need to worry too bad about level ups. You can save the stat items and give them to a particular unit that's underperforming.

People run into problems when they play on classic and get half their army killed in the first few chapters and don't realize it's permanent. If you're keeping your class alive, and generally using the same people (max deployment is 12) you'll be okay.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Augus posted:

if you scrutinize a bit harder you'll see that edelgard's ending is the best one because it is the most gay one

Eimi posted:

:hmmyes:

Coincidentally the Black Eagles are also the most gay house, making them the best.

These are both correct.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Manatee Cannon posted:

the route selection should have been at the end of chapter 11 tbh

Yeah I won't repeat my big long effort post from 50 pages ago but tl;dr I think the game would have been a lot better if you rotated classes in Part 1, getting to know all the lords and students equally, and then the big route decision was in the Holy Tomb where you either flip to Edelgard, or fight her off as usual and then Rhea/Claude/Dimitri all give you their plans and you pick which route you want. Then you get that route's class + any students you have a high enough support with. It would make the tragedy of Part 2 much stronger because Byleth was everybody's teacher, so you are actually fighting against and killing your students, not just students from other classes you occasionally passed by in the hall.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sydin posted:

Yeah I won't repeat my big long effort post from 50 pages ago but tl;dr I think the game would have been a lot better if you rotated classes in Part 1, getting to know all the lords and students equally, and then the big route decision was in the Holy Tomb where you either flip to Edelgard, or fight her off as usual and then Rhea/Claude/Dimitri all give you their plans and you pick which route you want. Then you get that route's class + any students you have a high enough support with. It would make the tragedy of Part 2 much stronger because Byleth was everybody's teacher, so you are actually fighting against and killing your students, not just students from other classes you occasionally passed by in the hall.

I still want a "no thanks" route where you continue to be a mercenary while Fodlan eats itself alive

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Sydin posted:

koei tecmo, i'll pay $20!!!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Sydin posted:

I guess the explanation if you think about it is that Byleth and the other teachers rotate classes off screen, so Manuela is teaching every single student about faith/swords/alcohol, and so every teacher gets a chance to teach every student. Obviously there's still 5 days of the week we don't see.

But I like your way better, and I think it would have been more dramatic.

At least for me, the drama value of fighting your students didn't sink in until my second route, because then I did have an attachment to my old class. But on a first playthrough you're like, oh they seem nice, but they're the other team. Does anyone really grow to like or really know any of the other students (on a first playthrough) that they don't recruit?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I guess the explanation if you think about it is that Byleth and the other teachers rotate classes off screen, so Manuela is teaching every single student about faith/swords/alcohol, and so every teacher gets a chance to teach every student. Obviously there's still 5 days of the week we don't see.

But I like your way better, and I think it would have been more dramatic.

At least for me, the drama value of fighting your students didn't sink in until my second route, because then I did have an attachment to my old class. But on a first playthrough you're like, oh they seem nice, but they're the other team. Does anyone really grow to like or really know any of the other students (on a first playthrough) that they don't recruit?

I only didn't recruit Ferdinand and Caspar so

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah my first run I got everyone but Raph, Hilda rubbed me the wrong way (and I couldn't recruit her anyway), and well I knew what would become of Dimitri. And Dedue is just a wall unless you're seeing his supports.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Eimi posted:

Yeah my first run I got everyone but Raph, Hilda rubbed me the wrong way (and I couldn't recruit her anyway), and well I knew what would become of Dimitri. And Dedue is just a wall unless you're seeing his supports.

Tbf his supports are great. His C support with Shamir is one of my favorites in the game.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

Tbf his supports are great. His C support with Shamir is one of my favorites in the game.

Yeah you just get no sense of him if you're not on his route. Everyone loves we be grillin.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
can confirm, only on my second playthrough (GD first, now on CF), will eventually do all 4 but currently my impression of dedue is literally just the word "stoic"

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
No idea how/why someone would get this game and not play either Azure Moon or Crimson Flower. Both fantastic and both about the core conflict of the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can easily see burning out and not wanting to complete every route

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I’ve only beaten golden deer in full (twice), plus 80% of crimson flower and like 20% of blue lions

This may be related to my weird brain disease that makes me only play on maddening and also spend more time thinking about character builds and optimization than actually playing

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I beat Silver Snow and Azure Moon and I probably won't play another route until all the dlc is out, and even then I'm dreading doing it. I watched LPs of both CF and VW but I just... don't want to have to do all the fishing and other bullshit between fights again. I wish I could just use renown to buy vegetables and fish and stuff.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i never understand that complaint

the monastery stuff is 100% optional, pretty sure most months you don't even have to go.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you could full automate and rest->auto lecture every week but that makes skill leveling way slower without actually solving the problem of downtime between missions

also you can't buy ore without going to the monastery and you miss out on things like the dancer class. like yea you don't have to do it, but it'd be really stupid to just ignore the monastery

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah, you can always just skip right to the fight, but if you have an optimization-addled brain like me, you never will. I bet a lot of people who complain about it are bothered too much about the possibility of sub-par units to do so.

Hell, I dragged Felix up to A+ flying and went without a dancer to give him sword avoid +20 on the same playthrough, no regrets.

This optimization-damage is also the reason that I get bogged down in awakening and fates. Every single time, I tell myself it isn't going to turn into a massive slog mid-game as I compulsive optimize my unit's stats, supports, and children, and every time, I do. It might be related to my recent OCD diagnosis, or it might be just regular gamer-neurosis.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 9, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

capitaldelendaest posted:

Yeah, you can always just skip right to the fight, but if you have an optimization-addled brain like me, you never will. I bet a lot of people who complain about it are bothered too much about the possibility of sub-par units to do so.

Hell, I dragged Felix up to A+ flying and went without a dancer to give him sword avoid +20 on the same playthrough, no regrets.

This optimization-damage is also the reason that I get bogged down in awakening and fates. Every single time, I tell myself it isn't going to turn into a massive slog mid-game as I compulsive optimize my unit's stats, supports, and children, and every time, I do. It might be related to my recent OCD diagnosis, or it might be just regular gamer-neurosis.

Yeah it's something that really hurts me with Awakening. The game lets me max out my characters stats and give them a perfect skillset. I'm going to do this even if it removes the...game part of it. Since after I do that I just mindlessly roll over everything. But I can't ignore that either.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Eimi posted:

Yeah it's something that really hurts me with Awakening. The game lets me max out my characters stats and give them a perfect skillset. I'm going to do this even if it removes the...game part of it. Since after I do that I just mindlessly roll over everything. But I can't ignore that either.

It's almost like once the game gives us the option to optimize, our brains seize up and start to think of doing that as the actual game and rolling through the campaign as weird, optional set-dressing.

It also makes the ability to buy back skill mastery in 3H a really great quality of life improvement.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

capitaldelendaest posted:

It's almost like once the game gives us the option to optimize, our brains seize up and start to think of doing that as the actual game and rolling through the campaign as weird, optional set-dressing.

It also makes the ability to buy back skill mastery in 3H a really great quality of life improvement.

Yup. I appreciate when games at least account for this. Like when Sacred Stones opened up the tower dungeon. Did I stop the campaign to level everyone to max? Yup. But max was just 40 levels so it wasn't as bad. (Also it's been a while but I don't think it truly trivialized the game like doing so in Awakening did...) The endless nature of Awakening though.... The only way I resisted optimization was ships in Awakening, because optimizing ships is much different than building the perfect child soldier and I am not letting child soldiers get in the way of making sure everyone ends up with an appropriate spouse. :v:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The tower didn’t poison my mind the way Awakening grinding did. I guess cause there aren’t any skills to grind or excel spreadsheets to optimize pairings (that doesn’t matter in the end anyway)

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Eimi posted:

Yup. I appreciate when games at least account for this. Like when Sacred Stones opened up the tower dungeon. Did I stop the campaign to level everyone to max? Yup. But max was just 40 levels so it wasn't as bad. (Also it's been a while but I don't think it truly trivialized the game like doing so in Awakening did...) The endless nature of Awakening though.... The only way I resisted optimization was ships in Awakening, because optimizing ships is much different than building the perfect child soldier and I am not letting child soldiers get in the way of making sure everyone ends up with an appropriate spouse. :v:

Personally, I liked the solution in Fates (I know, I know), where you could decide on the availability of grinding via the version you bought, or better, 3H where choosing Hard or up means you are suddenly given a maximum of 3 chances per week to grind, and there is an opportunity cost. The finite amount of exp in classic FE games was always a draw for me because you have to be strategic in who you level and because it meant I couldn't give in to my worst impulses and just sit around compulsively levelling without penalty. But having the option for some limited grinding for catch-up is also good!

Agreed about the tower in Sacred Stones not triggering the same issue, and I really couldn't say why. Edit: Actually I think it is because like was said above, the lack of skills or missable treasure in that dungeon (iirc) means it doesn't feel like you are missing out if you don't 100% the tower.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just play it like the old games. Rarely has any game in the franchise become straight-up unwinnable in either Normal or Hard (I think one FETuber said that the OG Gaiden becomes straight up unwinnable if you're down to like the single digits). Like I get the whole "Number go up!" thing, but c'mon.

If it's about the shipping, though? That I totally understand. ;)