Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Titanicus is great just for Abnett's depiction of Skitarii before they actually had models and became steampunk shite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ed balls balls man posted:

Titanicus is great just for Abnett's depiction of Skitarii before they actually had models and became steampunk shite.

Counterpoint: skitarii models are cool and good. :colbert:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Skitarii rule and they can't be steampunk since their cybernetics actually do something.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Has Pariah been reprinted or anything?

I bought a used copy. As far as I know, no.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Xenomrph posted:

Has Pariah been reprinted or anything?

Also wasn't there supposed to be a sequel or trilogy or something?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Improbable Lobster posted:

Also wasn't there supposed to be a sequel or trilogy or something?

It's coming. Abnett may well be writing it now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's nice that Games Workshop and BL have actually been giving something resembling a poo poo since they got their new CEO rather than the maniac who referred to citadel miniatures as precious gems.

Sure the Primaris Marines have gotten more releases in two years than entire faction lines have gotten in decades, but still, progress has been made.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's nice that Games Workshop and BL have actually been giving something resembling a poo poo since they got their new CEO rather than the maniac who referred to citadel miniatures as precious gems.

Sure the Primaris Marines have gotten more releases in two years than entire faction lines have gotten in decades, but still, progress has been made.

Their stock was the #2 performing stock of the decade on the FTSE, it's up ~750% over the last five years. They have been rewarded massively for this new strategy, so I expect to see more of it. The lore is only going to get better. There is a reason they have brought in a shitload of new authors over the past two years. I, for one, am excited.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I feel like I should drop some cash on them. I know a friend of mine has them in his portfolio because he's just a die-hard fan and always has been.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wonder if there's still unreleased primaris molds from öld-gw sitting around waiting to be spun up. On the one hand, the new models have generally been better than sculpts from peak "jewel-like objects" phase. On the other, that lead time is hella long and I wouldn't be surprised if there was some weird behind the scenes poo poo relating to the primaris range.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

I feel like I should drop some cash on them. I know a friend of mine has them in his portfolio because he's just a die-hard fan and always has been.

It's probably one of the more Brexit-proof shares tbh. Up there alongside tobacco and arms.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
40k is probably going to get somewhat more affordable once the Pound to Dollar exchange rate reaches 1:1.

Might even net out to being good for NUMBER.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Z the IVth posted:

It's probably one of the more Brexit-proof shares tbh. Up there alongside tobacco and arms.
I'd be buying from the eurozone so it's likely to still take a ding in value for me. I might do it anyway just to say I did.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Schadenboner posted:

40k is probably going to get somewhat more affordable once the Pound to Dollar exchange rate reaches 1:1.

Might even net out to being good for NUMBER.

Retail prices tend to only go up because of currency exchanges, not down.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Taerkar posted:

Retail prices tend to only go up because of currency exchanges, not down.

yeah lol @ prices being lowered for any reason ever

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

I'd be buying from the eurozone so it's likely to still take a ding in value for me. I might do it anyway just to say I did.

I thought about buying it 5 years ago but then their price was like a flat line.

Still kicking myself tbh.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's currently higher per share than the amount I was considering dropping so... I won't now.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I'm about a quarter of the way through the Skavenwars: Black Plague Omnibus. I gotta say, I'm really enjoying it right now. The Skaven are a lot of fun in the novel, and the Empire is very interesting. I'm looking forward to reading the Thanquol books next.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Ravenor Omnibus > Eisenhorn Omnibus

Not in terms of importance, obviously, but in terms of how enjoyable they are to read. Even Abnett mentions kicking himself over choosing 1st person for Eisenhorn

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Finished Scourge of Fate today, I almost wish it had more Chaos court politics. The fighting in the second half was really well written but it just wasn't as interesting as hearing about Chaos jousting tournaments and what was going on at the Varanspire. Also the main plot was kinda of weak with a somewhat paltry resolution to it.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

BrotherJayne posted:

Ravenor Omnibus > Eisenhorn Omnibus

Not in terms of importance, obviously, but in terms of how enjoyable they are to read. Even Abnett mentions kicking himself over choosing 1st person for Eisenhorn

I think that's more to do with how hard it is to write a story first person due to character having access to information you don't want the reader to know, not that it's better or worse.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Which to me resulted in the form and writing of Ravenor being significantly more mature and comfortable and natural. Eisenhorn I felt at times kinda strained against the format, while Ravenor just flowed.

Or it may have just been Abnett's growing comfort with the IP

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

While Ravenor is probably the better written of the two trilogies, I do like Eisenhorn was because it was strictly from his point of view, while Ravenor jumped around a bit too much when it came to which perspective it was from. It was usually third person, but sometimes it would be in first person and it was a bit inconsistent with Ravenor's internal dialogue the few times he wrote a section from Ravenors POV (I know one of those was because of Slyte's interference). Eisenhorn was more consistent, and the changes in tone happened between books, where you were usually looking at spans of decades if not a century between two books, so it makes sense that his tone would be slightly different, while the Ravenor takes place over one year I think?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Well gently caress, now I want to read them yet again.

40k James Bond and 40k Sherlock Holmes, the lot of them

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So the Warhammer horror line of novels they're launching, is it fantasy and Sigmar only or will there be cosmic horror 40K stories as well?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Arcsquad12 posted:

So the Warhammer horror line of novels they're launching, is it fantasy and Sigmar only or will there be cosmic horror 40K stories as well?

There's some 40k in the two short story collections that are already out IIRC

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

One of the recent horror audio dramas is 40k as well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cooked Auto posted:

Finished Scourge of Fate today, I almost wish it had more Chaos court politics. The fighting in the second half was really well written but it just wasn't as interesting as hearing about Chaos jousting tournaments and what was going on at the Varanspire. Also the main plot was kinda of weak with a somewhat paltry resolution to it.

I did like when the kid Standard Bearer admitted that the whole Path to Glory seemed kind of awful and he would probably just like to go home like the Free City people did.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They republished the old Drachenfels series under the imprint too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

As a story, I feel like Ravenor also flows better because you've got more characters to play with.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

I did like when the kid Standard Bearer admitted that the whole Path to Glory seemed kind of awful and he would probably just like to go home like the Free City people did.

Modred doesn't get enough screen time I feel to highlight how insane the Path is to an obvious outsider. Because that boy is clearly suffering at times while Vanik just sorta grouses.

Arquinsiel posted:

They republished the old Drachenfels series under the imprint too.

I still like that the second Drachenfels book has a horror story where the vampire plays a secondary role in everything.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cooked Auto posted:

I still like that the second Drachenfels book has a horror story where the vampire plays a secondary role in everything.
That whole series is kind of just about how she's one of the least monstrous people around.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I really like how the humorous elements and pop-culture references of that series were subtle enough to be unseen / ignored unless you're looking for them.

It's the quaint early 80s type of nerd humor that Ready Player One destroyed forever.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Do Space Marines ever just .. wander off and do their own thing? Are there any books where a space marine decided to open up a Yankee Candle store on a HiveWorld or something?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
They turn into Red Corsairs occasionally?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Yes, in the Eisenhorn trilogy an Iron Warrior opens a bed and breakfast

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

In Rogue Trader days, you'd occasionally see one who had had enough of these eternal wars and goes off to be a hermit, farmer, or something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You have to wonder what all those Black Templars let behind on recruiting worlds get up to in their spare time considering they leave a castellan behind on each planet they conquer to oversee their local fortress.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Arcsquad12 posted:

You have to wonder what all those Black Templars let behind on recruiting worlds get up to in their spare time considering they leave a castellan behind on each planet they conquer to oversee their local fortress.
Training, praying, kicking the local kids off his lawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

The Fallen Dark Angels hide amongst civilians and presumably live ordinary lives dispite being 8 ft tall giants.

Way back in 2nd edition marine sojourns were a thing. Marines would decide they needed a break from being a warrior monk and go travel the Imperium.