Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I really like the idea of that. Rolling characters is fun, and it's cool to reward people for making what's potentially a worse character.

Yeah, I like not having to sweat about making THE MOST OPTIMAL CHOICE, and it gives me an interesting framework/challenge when coming up with a background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

People not extremely down for Rogue Trader are crazy. Star Trek in 40k is such a great thing to do.

Now certainly, it wasn't the most mechanically sound thing of the games. But I definitely think being the one that lets the players have the most freedom really gives it an edge over the others. Internal balance was all over the place, but as you are all playing really rad guys that have some important job everyone should get a chance to shine with a decent GM. It definitely really needs a group that is all in, because your character goals are mostly totally self motivated.

Letting the PCs build their ship was fun to watch, too.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

A great motivation for RT GMs seems to be including friendly Necrons :colbert:

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

People not extremely down for Rogue Trader are crazy. Star Trek in 40k is such a great thing to do.

The RT game I played in our first arc was literally Encounter at Farpoint. I believe we ended up killing one of the alien jellyfish creatures and psychically lobotomizing the other, hauling it away to sell to the highest bidder.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

head58 posted:

The RT game I played in our first arc was literally Encounter at Farpoint. I believe we ended up killing one of the alien jellyfish creatures and psychically lobotomizing the other, hauling it away to sell to the highest bidder.

:hmmyes:

I played a Navigator in a fairly long running campaign and my main contribution to the party was sensible advice to moderate the excesses of any given plan, which was always ignored. Surely stealing from the Black Legion won't be too much of a problem, really.

We all died so horribly. :gbsmith:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm trying to come up with a campaign for my characters but I've got way too many ideas I need to untangle from my mind. I was thinking instead of having small mini-adventures set before the big campaign I had in mind, or even different ancestors of the PC's.

I had a great idea of going "This is an Ancestor session", saying they wake up from a night of drinking, and springing a D&D campaign on them.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
My navigator is excessively paranoid (or not paranoid enough?!) and will often suggest the most horrifying solutions to problems as being the only sensible choice. These solutions are all terrible loving ideas and the rest of the party has been cautious enough to shy away from them, so far. But now that our voidmaster is touched by the warp and carrying around a hellblade while searching for skulls for a throne that is possibly not as golden as he thought, the others will turn to my now-thoroughly blind (thanks to our mind-controlled kommando) dumb rear end for measures that surely won’t get us viciously hosed by the radical inquisitor whose base we probably broke in to.

Said inquisitor might not exist. But we have to act as if he did, or we may not live long enough to awaken the machine world to shoot down the admech battlecruiser in orbit before eating us.

Preechr fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 10, 2020

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I got into 40k lore a few years back. Bigtime. I've probably read over 200 books at this point, but I don't play tabletop. I've also recently gotten into Dungeons and Dragons and have developed a strong urge to play a 40k tabletop RPG, but I don't have any friends locally who are 40k fans.

What's the 40k RPG scene like on Roll20? Also, how does a 40k RPG play on Roll20?, is it worth trying out? I've never used it for anything, and I understand the wider 40k community can sometimes be pretty toxic.

What game should somebody in my position be playing? What other advice can you give me? TIA!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I've been giving it some thought and I don't think the RT RPG is really good for what I have in mind. I'm thinking something more narrative driven. Any suggestions?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

D-Pad posted:

I got into 40k lore a few years back. Bigtime. I've probably read over 200 books at this point, but I don't play tabletop.

You're not missing out on anything. TT40K has about as much relation to fluff as Flames of War has to WW2 history.

Don't play with randies, play with goons.

Unfortunately for us, 40K RPGs have all been made by FFG, and all of them are some flavor of terrible: the books are beautiful, but the layout and balancing is all over the place. We are currently awaiting for Cubicle 7 to crank out their version of Wrath and Glory, which we hope to be good.

Roll20 as a tool is good enough, we used it for all our goon campaigns.

SardonicTyrant posted:

I've been giving it some thought and I don't think the RT RPG is really good for what I have in mind. I'm thinking something more narrative driven. Any suggestions?

I'm sure there are like 5 Apocalypse World 40k hacks out there.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

SardonicTyrant posted:

Only War is really good for strong narrative. Just some random guys from the same world forced to fight a war they don't understand is great. I really like that Only War assumes the downtime between sessions is weeks or months so you really get a nice counterpoint to the Deathwatch only doing really important stuff and leaving.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

JcDent posted:

I'm sure there are like 5 Apocalypse World 40k hacks out there.

Big time, and you'd be saving yourself some time by not having to aggressively pretend that the FFG games aren't janky as hell. The books are beautiful but that's about what I can say for them.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

You can hardly find jank that's better illustrated than 40K RPGs.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Some of the most fun playing a 40k rpg was playing Blades in the Dark about Necromunda style gangers.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I switched my group back to Dark Heresy 2nd Edition after becoming thoroughly upset with Wrath and Glory its so drat bland.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Uroboros posted:

I switched my group back to Dark Heresy 2nd Edition after becoming thoroughly upset with Wrath and Glory its so drat bland.

This is my main problem with WanG. I would rather have a focused game trying to tell a particular kind of story than a super bland generic system.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Uroboros posted:

I'm currently poaching rules from W&G to make a skirmish sized game (essentially making an updated Inquisitor that's not as complex as Dark Heresy), since I like the combat in it. The RPG aspects are terrible and I would never want to force anyone to endure that slog.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

So, the game I'm GMing...

Has 10 players. It's nuts. It's my first time GMing, we're at session 7, and the whole thing is based on some crap I wrote down back when Ravenor was first published.

Basically it's set on a planet in the Helican subsector that is the dumping market for all the mergent world gear they didn't need at Eustis Majoris, and they're an Inquisitorial Task Force that has been sent to figure out why they're not hitting their tithe targets. Also there is some conspiracy about trying to get a saint to manifest in some Sisters of Battle that got flagged for being Psy active.

It's hella fun, hella stressful, and now that I'm doing a Wire rewatch, I'm realizing just how much poo poo I stole not just from Ravenor, but from The Wire.

Really wish I could do voices.

Edit: We're playing DH 1st

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 11, 2020

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
We and others I know have had great success with this genesys hack:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/266319-second-edition-release-dark-heresy-warhammer-40000-in-genesys/

We used these wip PDFs:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hRJ9KjaBz7PdhF1KhhpGraQ75YW0xPFm?usp=sharing

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Is that 1. or 2. based? Regardless I better grab 'em now, fantasy flight is shutting down I think?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Fashionable Jorts posted:

(essentially making an updated Inquisitor that's not as complex as Dark Heresy)

Now that's a game untouched by sanity

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

JcDent posted:

Now that's a game untouched by sanity

Its got a lot of great concepts in it, but yikes is it over-designed. If someone could automate all the background stuff and make a videogame out of it, it would be pretty drat good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BrotherJayne posted:

It's hella fun, hella stressful, and now that I'm doing a Wire rewatch, I'm realizing just how much poo poo I stole not just from Ravenor, but from The Wire.

The Wire, but in a hive city with Arbites, gangers, acolytes, and civvies just trying to get by. I'd play !

For Rogue Trader, RT: Apocalypse has some very good material. Since the AW forums are down, I'll link my archive:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vaunoaguy2qnlct/AACgcQgyEzGQVsR2kfZKG6VSa?dl=0

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Weird question. I love how poetic a lot of 40k quotes are, so I was wondering if anyone knows any good poets.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

mllaneza posted:

The Wire, but in a hive city with Arbites, gangers, acolytes, and civvies just trying to get by. I'd play !

For Rogue Trader, RT: Apocalypse has some very good material. Since the AW forums are down, I'll link my archive:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vaunoaguy2qnlct/AACgcQgyEzGQVsR2kfZKG6VSa?dl=0

It's dope.

They've basically been tasked with troubleshooting a planet - a former Agriworld in the Helican subsector that was hived-up about a hundred years ago in support of the ongoing Crusade in that region post-Helican Schism. Planet has missed its tithes by over a quarter of a percent two years in a row, go figure out what the hell is going on.

With the underlying root cause being the planet is past the tipping point ecologically, so even the win condition for the campaign only has it lasting maybe another 100 years, with a conspiracy or heresy in any direction you can look.

We've got 3 players that know 40k really well, and 6 that started the campaign knowing "of" 40k.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I have a WFRP 4e starter: the Dart spell does 0+SL levels of damage. Ferdinand's skill is 61, so that's like 6 SL at most. A rat hast 25 toughness. So a rat is unkillable in one hit, and most humans can laugh it off. Am I missing something here?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

JcDent posted:

I have a WFRP 4e starter: the Dart spell does 0+SL levels of damage. Ferdinand's skill is 61, so that's like 6 SL at most. A rat hast 25 toughness. So a rat is unkillable in one hit, and most humans can laugh it off. Am I missing something here?

You're missing WP bonus and advantage.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This of course means that Gruber has by default a +4 bonus to damage with dart. So its 4 + SL for him.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

This of course means that Gruber has by default a +4 bonus to damage with dart. So its 4 + SL for him.

GLAD THEY DIDN'T BOTHER TO FACTOR IT IN FOR THE CHARSHEETS.

Or missed some explanation somewhere

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JcDent posted:

GLAD THEY DIDN'T BOTHER TO FACTOR IT IN FOR THE CHARSHEETS.

Or missed some explanation somewhere

Some Explanation in this case.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

So, the crew has mind scanned a drug addict and was treated to an awesome montage of how he hosed his life up, and had to flash Throne Agent creds at the PDF providing security at the warehouse they did the interrogation in. That went well.

The big Tech Priest has spent 6 sessions grinding XP to finally chop his kegs off and go spider mech. He's headed down the gravity well, can't wait for him to start chasing the ghost in the machine. Hope he makes it to the end of the maze, cuz it's an Ordo Sinister component lost some time in M36.

And now they're helping the PDF commander for the Hive Formal they're in put out a hit on a high ranking Ganger.

Oh, and the Monodominant butthole nemesis of their Inquisitor is hauling rear end their way after they offed his agent aboard the ship.

All shaping up nicely

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
I've been looking for some well roleplayed 40k podcasts but either I suck at searching or there just aren't very many out there. Does anyone have a recommendation for some? Preferably Black Crusade, but any system will do

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Geography Question:

From what I can tell the sectors are sort of arranged like this:

To Calixis' Spin is Scarus, To Scarus' Spin is Askellon
To Calixis' Trail is the Fydae Cloud
To Calixis' and Scarus' Rim is the Halo Stars (which includes the Koronus Expanse and Lucky Space)
To Calixs' Core is Ixniad
Malfi is the largest closest border planet between Calixis and the Halo Stars
Fenksworld is the largest closest border planet between Calixis and Ixniad

Does this square with the general understanding? Am I missing anything?

Diabeesting posted:

I've been looking for some well roleplayed 40k podcasts but either I suck at searching or there just aren't very many out there. Does anyone have a recommendation for some? Preferably Black Crusade, but any system will do

The guys who did the now-concluded Roll To Seize 40k podcast have a current Wrath and Glory podcast going that also has the archives of the Dark Heresy adventures they did before W&G. They're p.deece but not Black Crusade.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Calixis_Sector

It has a map and explains all of that stuff.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Ideas for stats for a chain needed to subjugate a dreadnaught in Deathwatch? The trick is that it's converted from the restraining chains used to keep dreads chill on spaceships needed to subjugate a loyal but kinda senile dread running amok attacking loyal forces. Possibly with a shock effect or something

Tias fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 25, 2020

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
What, fluffwise or mechanically? Some kind of bolas or a leash?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Just make it a WS test and have it inflict Haywire.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Rockopolis posted:

What, fluffwise or mechanically? Some kind of bolas or a leash?

Mechanics, fluffwise I'm good - it's a jury-rigged, marine portable version of the system they have aboard strike cruisers to restrain dreadnoughts who have a senior moment and confuse friends for enemies - this is incidentally also the problem on the ground.

wiegieman posted:

Just make it a WS test and have it inflict Haywire.

This is great. I might have it be an assisted roll, as it seems suitably dramatic to need several marines to restrain a 'nought.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

If one of the Marines has concentrated on Fellowship, they should absolutely get a chance to calm the Dread down via heroic speechifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So I just joined a Dark Heresy 2E game on discord (which is like my fourth or fifth online game because corona) and I wanna know if the game's good/tips and tricks. I made a Mechanicus Seeker and I think it's a fun character concept (cyber-detective) but I'm not sure how mechanically good it is or what to focus on advancements.