Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Rolo posted:

Oh cool, I must have read something wrong at some point. My goal is 120hz at 1080 so this makes me a little more hopeful.

How standardized are newer HDMI versions in 2019 TVs? I’m looking at a 65” series 8 Samsung that claims 120Hz but nowhere does it mention HDMI version.

Edit: Wouldn’t any 4K tv have to have HDMI 2.0?

The refresh rates listed in panel specs are bullshit numbers and not tied to the inputs, so you'll want to ignore them. You need to look at rtings reviews for your TV -- the "Supported Resolutions" section has what you need, and the "Input Lag" section tells you if it's good or not. Example: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c9-oled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Awesome, thanks.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Vizio is putting out an OLED TV.

https://twitter.com/engadget/status/1213868563125166080?s=19

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
This is the one I’m looking at for reference:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ru8000

Specifically the 65 inch. Primary use would be for PC gaming in the living room. Most of the movies and TV I put on are for background noise, not really planning on it being a home theater quality TV. Costco has it for 880 and I’d love some input on if that’s a good deal.

E: Probably should mention I’d like to keep a budget of <1k$.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 5, 2020

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

quote:

For all of the 2020 models announced, Vizio is adding support for HDR10+ -- the standard Samsung has been pushing -- in addition to standard HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision. The new processors inside are also supposed to be better at upscaling low-res content, and most include a ProGaming Engine that supports Variable Refresh Rates, AMD FreeSync and 4K gaming at up to 120 Hz with fast response time and low input lag. Also, all of the new sets have HDMI 2.1 built-in.

Hopefully this is indicative of what we'll see from most manufacturers.

Another OLED maker seems nice, but as far as I know LG is the only panel maker doing TV sizes right now and I can't imagine Vizio will be able to undercut LG prices on their own devices.

edit: The Verge's article has a lot more details including a full comparison between models with features. They kept the M7 and M8 models for some dumb reason.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 5, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
LG might keep their pricing to be seen as a premium brand. Or wasn't there talk like 15 years ago that the early Vizio sets used Name Brand screens that were just slightly below QA standards and were cheaper?

poo poo I'd love a cheap OLED screen this year for Xmas.

VvV
Ooooh yeah. Futher reason to run from the Voice Activated remote. Gonna cross my fingers and see if a 65" B9 can be had for $700 later this year

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 5, 2020

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Vizio is also one of the companies thats very honest about selling the poo poo out of your personal data, so they may be able to cut price point to the consumer that way

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

FilthyImp posted:

Ooooh yeah. Futher reason to run from the Voice Activated remote. Gonna cross my fingers and see if a 65" B9 can be had for $700 later this year

lol

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

"Vizio, play Debbie Does Dallas"

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Rolo posted:

This is the one I’m looking at for reference:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ru8000

Specifically the 65 inch. Primary use would be for PC gaming in the living room. Most of the movies and TV I put on are for background noise, not really planning on it being a home theater quality TV. Costco has it for 880 and I’d love some input on if that’s a good deal.

E: Probably should mention I’d like to keep a budget of <1k$.

FWIW, I looked at the RU8000 a couple of days ago at Best Buy and liked it...but in terms of raw features, TCL's 6 series (and probably the Vizio Quantum M models) would be better value for the money. The RU8000 does not have local dimming, and most reviews say it's too dim to do HDR properly.

On the plus side, the RU8000 probably has a better chance of having good screen uniformity, which is a big deal with me. The TCL R625 I saw in-store had some vignetting and discoloration around the edges of the screen, the Samsung was completely clean. But this is a sample size of 1 unit each, and the panel lottery still is a factor.

I think $880 for the Samsung is basically a good deal, it's on par with (actually slightly below) what Best Buy and Amazon are currently selling it for.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The TCL 6 series doesn't do 120 hz, so for this use case it's out. Same for the Vizio M.

I dunno, I'd try to stretch for an X900F or X950G or something. That frame skipping stuff for 4:4:4 doesn't sound great -- although it's apparently been patched out on the Q70/Q80/Q90.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

[

Charles posted:

https://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-2-Slot-Polarized-IEC320C7/dp/B00T6N5JT4/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=iec320+c7+polarized+1+foot&qid=1577866639&sr=8-6

edit: Look at the second pic, also by the comments maybe it's a bit longer when you count the plug ends.

wolrah posted:

The reason you're having trouble finding it is that the polarized connector is non-standard.

Also I never responded to this but I really appreciate this! These posts.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

"Vizio, play Debbie Does Dallas"

I heard an NPR story about a guy who writes thousands of songs every year and makes a modest living selling them online for a buck apiece. They had really funny song and album titles.

My wife got a free Google nest mini so the first thing I tried was "ok Google, play the album You Thought We Ran Out of Poop Song Ideas, You Were Wrong" and it actually worked. I was impressed, and disgusted.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nocheez posted:

I heard an NPR story about a guy who writes thousands of songs every year and makes a modest living selling them online for a buck apiece. They had really funny song and album titles.

My wife got a free Google nest mini so the first thing I tried was "ok Google, play the album You Thought We Ran Out of Poop Song Ideas, You Were Wrong" and it actually worked. I was impressed, and disgusted.

Yesterday I told my Google Nest to play the Undertaker's entrance music while the cats wandered into the room and it worked

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Iron Crowned posted:

Yesterday I told my Google Nest to play the Undertaker's entrance music while the cats wandered into the room and it worked

lol

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Nocheez posted:

is that matt farley? he also makes fun extremely low-budget, comedy/horror movies.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Here's LG's 2020 Lineup: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1578322870

BX & CX get a new processor, filmmaker mode, new HDR mode. CX gets a 48 inch model.

GX is a new series that is paper thin and hangs flush with the wall.

E series is out.

I'm upgrading this year in anticipation of the next-gen consoles, so I was hoping that top-down OLEDs would be out, but alas it's not the case. I guess buying the final iteration of a technology before major changes are made isn't in a bad place to be though (assuming top-down will come next year). I just hope the 77 inch model will fall to reasonable pricing this year. I'd be willing to pay about 3000 for one.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 6, 2020

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Vintersorg posted:

I think I need a new TV stand. I am just using the IKEA Lack TV bench and it feels like the TV is small...? I dunno. I go to my buddies who has it on a much higher piece of furniture and it seems massive. Both 65".

A couple of us in the thread have this console: https://www.cb2.com/congo-media-credenza/s559147

Pricey, but very well built

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Megasabin posted:

Here's LG's 2020 Lineup: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1578322870

BX & CX get a new processor, filmmaker mode, new HDR mode. CX gets a 48 inch model.

GX is a new series that is paper thin and hangs flush with the wall.

E series is out.

I'm upgrading this year in anticipation of the next-gen consoles, so I was hoping that top-down OLEDs would be out, but alas it's not the case. I guess buying the final iteration of a technology before major changes are made isn't in a bad place to be though (assuming top-down will come next year). I just hope the 77 inch model will fall to reasonable pricing this year. I'd be willing to pay about 3000 for one.

Yeah, looks like no new changes other than at the high end. I think I'm going to be getting a closeout C9 rather than wait for the CX to come out.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I always heard that Vizio uses slightly lower quality panels so maybe they get the ones LG won’t put in their own.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Apparently TCL will be doing a software update to enable VRR on "select 2019 TCL Roku TV 6-Series models", but they're not announcing which ones? Maybe just the 65" and 55" since those came out later in the year than the 75"?
https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/6/21052281/tcl-tv-software-updates-variable-refresh-rate-thx-certified-game-mode-hdmi-earc-ces-2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Apparently TCL will be doing a software update to enable VRR on "select 2019 TCL Roku TV 6-Series models", but they're not announcing which ones? Maybe just the 65" and 55" since those came out later in the year than the 75"?
https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/6/21052281/tcl-tv-software-updates-variable-refresh-rate-thx-certified-game-mode-hdmi-earc-ces-2020

The 75" currently out is actually the 2018 model. Yes it came out in 2019 but it's a continuation of the r61x series. There is no current r62x series in the 75". Folks were speculating it would be announced at CES since that's how the 75" 61x came out last year but that seems to not have happened yet.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, looks like no new changes other than at the high end. I think I'm going to be getting a closeout C9 rather than wait for the CX to come out.

Official Freesync support is good, since AMD is really dragging their feet when it comes to supporting VRR, but yeah it looks pretty easy to recommend picking up a C9 now or on closeout rather than waiting for a CX. Which is weird, because the 9 series really did fix up a lot of stuff that was going on with the 8 and was definitely worth the premium (at least for gamers)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Looks like some of Sony's offerings will have ATSC 3 built in. Wqs that finalized already cuz goddamn if I buy an OLED and need to upgrade in 3.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
It’s finalized in the sense that there are standards for broadcasting atsc3. It’s completely voluntary and there’s no business model for it.

From a transmission standpoint atsc3 is a lot better than 1. Atsc1 was designed to have the receiving antenna outside and like 30 feet off the ground, which was dumb. It also has problems with multi path which is addressed in 3. Both of these things are why current OTA tv is a pain in the rear end.

Most broadcasters updated their transmitters to atsc3 during this FCC repack so there won’t be a lack of signals but most of them are repackaged atsc1 signals. The cool atsc3 stuff (SFNs, customized channels, etc) is still like 3-5 years away.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If atsc3 ever becomes an actual commercial thing that you should care about, I'm sure you'll be able to pick up an external tuner of some sort.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure virtually no broadcast center is going to move to all in with atsc 3 without a government mandate.

Also, I see the broadcast networks basically abandoning OTA for anything other than the cheapest programming within the next 10 years in favor of their own streaming platforms.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Sorry guys, looks like I absolutely need to hold off on buying an OLED until this ATSC3 thing is finalized. :v:

Love you guys.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
So my folks are trying to mount their TV on the wall but they have no place to put the uverse receiver. There is a little cubbyhole behind the TV they could use but then the remote won't work.

Has anyone had luck using an IR Repeater with Uverse, or can recommend one that's simple enough I could help them get it working?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Just get them a harmony hub, they're pretty good

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Araganzar posted:

So my folks are trying to mount their TV on the wall but they have no place to put the uverse receiver. There is a little cubbyhole behind the TV they could use but then the remote won't work.

Has anyone had luck using an IR Repeater with Uverse, or can recommend one that's simple enough I could help them get it working?

I just used Velcro tape to stick it to the back of the tv and it worked fine.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So after continuing my research on RTINGS I went with the 65 inch 8 series for the 120hz and input delay specs. So far it’s been great right out of the box. PC picked up the better refresh right right away.

Also lol this is it until I get a bigger car.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'm the cracked panel from the bump in the road.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My 65” Vizio box barely, and I mean barely fit width wise into the back of my Prius.

I measure all cars by that carrying capacity now.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

I'm the cracked panel from the bump in the road.

When I picked up my 65" LG B9 from the local Best Buy, it turns out that the employees are not permitted to lay TVs flat like that. They won't necessarily stop a customer from doing so but it would void their return policy. When I told them I had a hatchback, they were doubtful it would fit without laying it down. Now I have taken an old 65" TV before in the same car in question, a Subaru Impreza, packed in its original box and packaging and laying down with the screen up with no trouble or damage so I know it can definitely fit.

While it turned out that the interior height was too low for the box to stand up, there was enough diagonal width to put it in diagonally and the box was just long enough to rest on the top corner of the driver seat while butted up against the rear lip of the cargo area. Granted, this arrangement was not ideal since it meant having the box precariously close to my head while driving and involved pushing the passenger as far forward as possible which was not fun for my roommate but it was only going to be 10 minutes of local driving. And surprisingly, it turns out I didn't need to adjust the driver seat to help with making the box fit and my overall visibility while driving wasn't compromised so the actual drive home wasn't as harrowing as I was anticipating.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Rolo posted:

So after continuing my research on RTINGS I went with the 65 inch 8 series for the 120hz and input delay specs. So far it’s been great right out of the box. PC picked up the better refresh right right away.

Also lol this is it until I get a bigger car.

Once you get it dialed in, please post your impressions.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Number_6 posted:

Once you get it dialed in, please post your impressions.

First impressions are good, it was picked up as a native 120Hz panel out of the box by my PC which was nice. Built solid and doesn’t seem to have noticeably uneven light or color. Looks good for tv and movies out of the box, but sounds like I need to just buy drat speakers already, I know I know. Here’s some other oddball stuff I’ve noticed:

Nerdy game stuff. It will not play nice with Gsync. This was noted on RTINGS so not a shock to me, but someone else might miss it. It will let you enable it but it won’t work and causes flickering. Might just be a software update away but for now it’s broken. I’m just using my Nvidia card’s fast sync for older 120+ FPS games and I don’t notice tearing for newer games that run closer to my actual refresh rate. I’m just kind of tweaking as I go but so far I’m really happy with the refresh and low input lag. It’s why I got the tv so cool.

HDMI CEC is kind of working? Which is weird, nothing has worked with this pc thus far. It will change inputs but won’t turn the tv on. Better than what my series 7 could do with it.

The ads are ugly and plastered all over the menu. Plug the thing into the world to check for updates then get it the hell back off. My 7 stopped showing ads after a few days of not being on the network so I’m hoping this does it too. I hate seeing the same RENT THE GRINCH FOR 2.99 ad every single time the thing comes on. Stop remaking the grinch!

I’ll post about actual color, HDR and stuff as I get it tweaked but those are my first few thoughts.

No buyers remorse yet.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I got an email about 15% off of TCL TVs with Dolby Vision at Best Buy. The promo code is TCLDOLBY15 when you check out.

It doesn’t look like it stacks but I could be wrong.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but I'll ask here. I've got a Sony X900f. Has anyone messed with the steam link app for streaming pc games to the TV? Connecting via hdmi isn't really an option. Also open to other suggestions aside from steam link.

Edit: Goddamn it works. My Xbox one controller even connects to the TV via Bluetooth. The future is crazy!

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 12, 2020

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

harrygomm posted:

Is it a fools errand to shop for a TV that doesn’t have smart features and is just a TV? Are there any brands that let you pay a premium to opt out of those additions?

Don't bother trying, even commercial displays are "smart" now. That said most TVs will let you not use the "smart" functions if you avoid the onboard apps [except for the ones that report your viewing habits for resale to advertisers]. On my Sony I never see the Android home screen unless I specifically request it which I only do to tweak the settings. You could just not give it network credentials but some will join public networks if they can't phone home.