Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
While I'm usually sympathetic to the (Irish) Republican elements, I still call BS on some of their business. Like the 1987 Loughgall "Ambush." Long story short, the British found out the IRA was going to bomb a police station after hours, waited for them to show up, then shot them after they set off the bomb. The only wrong thing I think the British did in that situation was they shot a couple of innocent bystanders by mistake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loughgall_ambush

That said, the IRA and PLO have had a relationship for a long time and feel they are in similar situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Any sympathy I have for the cause is drowned in the sea of blood the PIRA unleashed, including poo poo like kidnapping a person's family and forcing them to become a suicide bomber.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_bomb

I can respect a cause but despise a terror group.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
And then you look at what the monarchy they're trying to separate themselves from has done over the past few hundred years and things get a little more muddied.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
https://twitter.com/Roman_012/status/1215335999997448195

Alleged video of the Ukrainian plane getting hit by a missile.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

A Bad Poster posted:

And then you look at what the monarchy they're trying to separate themselves from has done over the past few hundred years and things get a little more muddied.

Like I said, respect a cause, hate a group.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Thump! posted:

The dude in charge of that battery is getting a negative NCOER I think.

When I was in PATRIOT, only the officer declares that a target can be engaged. The enlisted guy only confirms it and presses "fire missile". I wonder if Iran has a similar 2 man system.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Eulogistics posted:

When I was in PATRIOT, only the officer declares that a target can be engaged. The enlisted guy only confirms it and presses "fire missile". I wonder if Iran has a similar 2 man system.

I imagine something similar (no basis other than that seems reasonable) but someone didn't hand down the memo.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
NO ABU JAHAAR! THAT WAS THE ROCKET FOR PLANES!

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
:eyepop:

As long as someone wears a uniform, Abu Jahaar will always be with us.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

:thurman:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Hajaar*

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

BigDave posted:

Didn't Quadaffi get them AKMs and RPGs back in the late 80s?

I completely forgot about that. I guess it's AK then!

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

son of a bitch :iceburn:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

gently caress, I couldnt remember which it was :argh:

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Trump now saying that "evidence " pointed to Solemani planning to blow up the US Embassy building in Baghdad, which is why he got blew up.

Trump also says he won't involve congress in future "split second" decisions involving strikes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

In a sane world Congress would be losing their poo poo over Trump cutting them out of their rightful place.

So naturally...

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

In a sane world Congress would be losing their poo poo over Trump cutting them out of their rightful place.

So naturally...

Pelosi had a snarky comment ready for ABC Nightly news

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Smiling Jack posted:

Like I said, respect a cause, hate a group.

I think the other poster's point is that the British government deserves orders of magnitude more hate if we are judging groups based on their actions or civilian body count. Of course you can not like anyone in a conflict, but the couple of thousand of deaths the IRA was responsible for is a drop in the bucket compared to the trail of blood of the British Empire in Ireland and the rest of the world.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

Any sympathy I have for the cause is drowned in the sea of blood the PIRA unleashed, including poo poo like kidnapping a person's family and forcing them to become a suicide bomber.

The brits did worse poo poo and british intelligence openly cooperated with protestant kill squads. I mean there isn't really a limit to what I would do if the US was invaded.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

of course though a cop would loving defend margaret thatchers kill squads

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/IStandWithAhmed/status/1215315549787492353?s=20

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

of course though a cop would loving defend margaret thatchers kill squads

Get hosed shitbird, it'll be a cold day in hell before I defend the British in Northern Ireland. If you can't actually find anything offensive in my posts maybe do me a favor and don't flat out make poo poo up.

I've actually posted before in other threads about how absolutely hosed the British security services in northern ireland are and were ( fuckin Miami Showband Massacre is a good example ) so maybe close your fuckin trap and try reading comprehension.

Your pathetic obsession with my day job has fried your brain.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

The brits did worse poo poo and british intelligence openly cooperated with protestant kill squads. I mean there isn't really a limit to what I would do if the US was invaded.

Neither side was clean but it wasn’t really a Brit invasion recently.

If you going to blame anyone blame the French. The Normans kicked this crap off by invading the AngloSaxons then getting pissy at Scotch/Norwegian/Celt raiding parties using Ireland as a base.

It’s always the Frenches fault.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the ira did the same poo poo that the brits did but only one of them is a terrorist in your brain

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
We have de Gaulle to blame for the Vietnam War!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

A Bad Poster posted:

It all comes together.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

A Bad Poster posted:

Now you're making GBS threads on family. Vietnam was all the colons' fault

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Immanentized posted:

Trump now saying that "evidence " pointed to Solemani planning to blow up the US Embassy building in Baghdad, which is why he got blew up.

Trump also says he won't involve congress in future "split second" decisions involving strikes.

Wonderful

Just. Just, wonderful.

I just don't even have the strength anymore

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Owns

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Wonderful

Just. Just, wonderful.

I just don't even have the strength anymore

What are you wonderfulling

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

He's currently using his rally to masturbate onstage about Iran which I suppose isn't surprising

Nevermind, he's on to the media now

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Milo and POTUS posted:

The complete dissolution of any faith they had in American institutions.

Miracle it took this long.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Immanentized posted:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Eulogistics posted:

From what I've been reading, the SA-15/Tor (which is what looks like was used going by photos of the missile debris) can be set to automatically launch on anything that flies into it's envelope and doesn't have friendly IFF codes, since it's a short ranged system designed to knock down low level aircraft/helicopters or cruise missiles, due to the short time it would have to engage, so there's a chance nobody even pressed a button.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Smiling Jack posted:

Disjointed rambling ho!

Crime and criminals seem to be inextricably linked to this kind of conflict. Look at armed groups during The Troubles, look at the Yugoslav wars, look at Hezbollah, look at Gladio, look at ISIS, look at Ukraine. Drug and gun running, extortion, kidnapping, poo poo, just run of the mill taking Govt money to gently caress poo poo up. It all attracts the very worst opportunistic scum. Mercenary in the truest sense of the word. Use 'em up until your deniability runs out, then kill them yourself or find the next rear end in a top hat to do it for you.

Take Arkan: a man wanted all over Europe before the Yugoslav wars for horrid poo poo, couple months into it and he's leading the loving Dirlewanger Brigade pt.II. God only knows who had him waxed, but I think it's the people that hired him.

gently caress, Motorola and friends keep on getting blown up right now.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Ah yes. Split second decisions he made such as checks notes, the one he told ol Mitch about three days before it happened.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/Militarydotcom/status/1215412746663223297

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Yes, dolphins most certainly believe in centralized markets and government control of commerce. Obviously.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Wasn't there a theory somewhere that inhabiting an alternate timeline means facing increasingly absurd poo poo that makes less and less sense as time goes by? Based on the fact that it never should have existed in the first place?

'Cause 2020 has got me feeling like maybe there's something to be said about that.

If not, kick that around the next time you drop mushrooms, I guess. It'll be a wild ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

A Bad Poster posted:

how do you have de gaulle do say dis