Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

START SPEADIN THE NEWS
I'M LEAVING TODAY
I WANT TO BE A PART OF IT
CHICAGO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

THIS IS WH
THIS IS WHY
THIS IS WHY IM HOT

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I will always love MannyBManny.

Also, is this an image from an actual MLB video game?

https://twitter.com/DSzymborski/status/1213184172069662720

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
It's from WWE 2k20. He always makes a bunch of mlb characters for wrestling games.

Edit: https://twitter.com/DSzymborski/status/1213187628620746754?s=19

Strasburgs UCL fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 3, 2020

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Ok, that's a pretty good custom character.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Does ESPN have any baseball writers left

https://twitter.com/keithlaw/status/1214185568092983297?s=21

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The most problematic part of The Dugout was the positive portrayal of Jonathan Papelbon

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/si_union/status/1214207739880255490?s=21

they need it

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/Toms81661170/status/1214252697311944708
loving lol.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

So maybe i'l reading into this incorrectly, but it seemed like Keith wanted to write pieces that would have ended up being pro labor union (with an emphasis on getting more protection for minor league players) and ESPN said no? That paragraph seemed very specific.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Akileese posted:

So maybe i'l reading into this incorrectly, but it seemed like Keith wanted to write pieces that would have ended up being pro labor union (with an emphasis on getting more protection for minor league players) and ESPN said no? That paragraph seemed very specific.
ESPN has been shedding its baseball writers pretty hard so it may just be that they weren’t going to renew his contract

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Reading his chats for years and the last half year it's been pretty transparent that his time at espn was coming to an end, even though he didn't outright say it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Akileese posted:

Its been pretty obvious for a while that he was to only write about evaluation of trades and prospects and that he wanted to do much more.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

uggy posted:

Reading his chats for years and the last half year it's been pretty transparent that his time at espn was coming to an end, even though he didn't outright say it.
Yeah, and when a year or two ago I saw some of ESPN’s biggest baseball names leaving the network because ESPN wasn’t renewing their contracts, I knew it was a matter of time

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ESPN's still trying to cut costs, and get rid of the print / long-form stuff, so these moves make sense. Whether that strategy is good or bad is another matter (spoiler alert: having no credible journalists is going to eventually become an issue) but between the reduced importance of MLB, and their focus on people who are on shows over pure writers, it can be understood.

I hope whoever is underwriting The Athletic has deep pockets, I'm subscribed and liking it -- turns out having a clean website and app without ads makes things much more pleasant to read! -- but it's gonna be a tough deal long-term with the number of writers they've added. Hopefully they've closed in on their targets now that they've expanded into soccer more, that should open to quite a few more potential subscribers.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

harperdc posted:

ESPN's still trying to cut costs, and get rid of the print / long-form stuff, so these moves make sense. Whether that strategy is good or bad is another matter (spoiler alert: having no credible journalists is going to eventually become an issue) but between the reduced importance of MLB, and their focus on people who are on shows over pure writers, it can be understood.

I hope whoever is underwriting The Athletic has deep pockets, I'm subscribed and liking it -- turns out having a clean website and app without ads makes things much more pleasant to read! -- but it's gonna be a tough deal long-term with the number of writers they've added. Hopefully they've closed in on their targets now that they've expanded into soccer more, that should open to quite a few more potential subscribers.
When ESPN laid off all of those writers in 2018 I remember that coincided with them heavily scaling back baseball coverage. Baseball Tonight (which according to its name would be on nightly) was scaled back to like twice a week or something.

It's odd to me because ESPN does have baseball broadcasting but they have massively scaled back their baseball presence overall. I don't even know who is still around besides Buster Olney and Tim Kurkjian.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

harperdc posted:

from a strictly business standpoint I would think hot takes and broadcasting rights make a hell of a lot more than long-form journalism.

but yeah the Athletic is great

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

When ESPN laid off all of those writers in 2018 I remember that coincided with them heavily scaling back baseball coverage. Baseball Tonight (which according to its name would be on nightly) was scaled back to like twice a week or something.

It's odd to me because ESPN does have baseball broadcasting but they have massively scaled back their baseball presence overall. I don't even know who is still around besides Buster Olney and Tim Kurkjian.

I kinda think ESPN won’t renew their baseball deal when that comes up, seeing that they appear to be going all in on the NBA and NFL in their programming/discussion topics on general shows.

Stephen A. Smith really has molded the network in his image.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

from a strictly business standpoint I would think hot takes and broadcasting rights make a hell of a lot more than long-form journalism.

but yeah the Athletic is great

ESPN tried to be all things (TV, Page 2 online, good regular writing online, SI-style magazine, cell phone provider) and is re-focusing on what earns them the most eyeballs for the cable package rates, for better or for worse. When they aren’t carrying live sports people like watching people shout at each other, apparently.

RIP Grantland.

But yeah I’m pretty sure The Athletic is propped up by VC money “investing” to become the local sports page for everybody and hoping that enough subscribers = profits?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Things were never the same after Klaw was replaced on the Baseball Tonight podcast.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Jeff Passan is at ESPN and breaks a decent amount of news.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

harperdc posted:

When they aren’t carrying live sports people like watching people shout at each other, apparently.

People yelling at each other is cheap to produce compared to other things they could put on.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

ESPN also sucks at monetizing stuff. They had some of the biggest podcasts in the world and weren't selling ads for them.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Niwrad posted:

ESPN also sucks at monetizing stuff. They had some of the biggest podcasts in the world and weren't selling ads for them.

Settle down Bill

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/DickieV/status/1214741955864862721?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

How is this real

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

same energy
https://twitter.com/britneyspears/status/35767743634481152

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

An all-timer from Dickie V., baby!!!!!!!!!!!

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Can you believe the story about the trampled mourners at the soleimani funeral? I was alarmed to see so many young people there. Speaking of diaper-dandies, the Dukies are for real this year baybeeee!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

This doesn't top the e-mail my heart image I've seen on FB a few times, but it's close

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Prince Harry: "Why i'm joining the athletic"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

can't stop thinking about the dickie v tweet

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I hope he has a voice to text app for his tweets.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

R.D. Mangles posted:

can't stop thinking about the dickie v tweet

The hero of William Patterson University

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
@DickieV

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Prince Harry: "Why i'm joining the athletic"

hey that’s pretty good

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I have an autographed dick vitale Hooters poster that says THATS AWESOME BABY on it. Ask me anything

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I have an autographed dick vitale Hooters poster that says THATS AWESOME BABY on it. Ask me anything

How much did you buy it for

How much would you sell it for

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Did he sign it at a Hooters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

let’s hear from the herb

https://twitter.com/benmullin/status/1215660299291910144?s=21