Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Ken is winning because Brad is

-finding every Daily Double, keeping them away from James
-biffing nearly all of them

You love to see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ken had a slightly higher coryat in the first two matches iirc though so he’s also just outplaying him a bit

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah I don't want to take away from Ken, he's my man, but Brad stymieing James' Daily Double strategy is hilarious.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

zakharov posted:

You love to see it

The James defense squad is out in force on that Twitter post you quoted, and they’re really down on Brad right now saying that he’s tanking to allow Ken to win, which is just tons of sour grapes I’m not looking forward to seeing stated as “fact” repeatedly in the future, just like how it’s “fact” that James threw that last game to Emma so as not to beat Ken’s record or whatever.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

James not being able to answer garnet as FSUs colors was a tell that he's throwing it. Considering he's a known gambler.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

ohhhh my goddd

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1215456737446125568

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
gently caress it, I'm not cheering for him, but James actually seems like a pretty likable guy overall. Ken's still better though.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

zakharov posted:

You love to see it
Ken's also clearly playing out of his comfort zone. Pound for pound, I think Ken just knows more of the answers than James, but James is much quicker on the buzzer when he's confident. For all the talk of James being a big risk taker, the dude rarely takes shots in the dark when he buzzes in. Ken on the other hand, especially tonight, was buzzing in when he clearly hadn't formulated the answer, I think to compensate for the fact that he knows James is quicker. Ken's also clearly been stressed by the need to bet it all on Double Jeopardies and really seems to be giving it all when he controls the board. It must be frazzling to keep it from James.

The game is: James is a really good player and despite it all is just kind of playing this game like he has the others; Ken is probably the most competitive and is really giving it all/changing up his strategy; Brad is a really good player and despite it all is just kind of playing this like has the others--Except James is just better than he is and Ken is at his most competitive.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 10, 2020

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Holy poo poo lmao

Also #TeamKen

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think it's also harder for James to reliably get daily doubles because he has a lot less board control than he'd normally have, so it's harder for him to even out the randomness.

From here Ken's the favourite, but I think James taking two back to back games is pretty likely given the back and forth. I think Brad's out of it unless he's a demon sent to personally stop Ken Jennings from winning Jeopardy in which case he'll suddenly wake up and win 3.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Brad doesn't even seem to be trying. I can't believe his buzzer timing is THAT much worse than Ken and James'.

Ken vs James feels very close to even.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Pound for pound, I think Ken just knows more of the answers than James, but James is much quicker on the buzzer when he's confident.

This seems right.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I feel like Brad's having his own Rocky 3 moment and hopefully he'll have some time in the future to redeem himself. Go Eagles!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Interestingly enough, in the last match the gap between Brad and James was smaller than the gap between James and Ken for coryat scores

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Can someone please explain what coryat is to a dumb dumb like me?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Scores with wagering disregarded. Daily Doubles count for their base value on the grid.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

It’s something in the Jeopardy community, a point score that disregards betting.

http://www.j-archive.com/help.php#coryatscore

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Does it next air on monday?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Does it next air on monday?

Should be on tomorrow?

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

GhostStalker posted:

Should be on tomorrow?

Don't have cable, so I was unsure if it was Mon-Thurs or Mon-Fri. Oh how I wish I could watch it at home. Whenever I go to my moms we watch it, which I did last night. Guess I have to find a cablehaver!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Next episode is on Tuesday per ABC.

https://twitter.com/ABCNetwork/status/1215453203107418113

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I didn't realize it was on Hulu, but it is!!

I had only watched a couple minutes before, but I finally got a chance to sit down and watch the whole thing. Some of it is tough but some of it is stupidly, stupidly easy. Here's a picture of a sloppy joe, what is it? Here's a picture of Dolly Parton, who is it?

Why do we think Brad is sucking? Maybe stress?? I'm getting more right than he is but obv without buzzing, whereas he of course absolutely kicks my rear end at LL.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 10, 2020

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

I didn't realize it was on Hulu, but it is!! I had only watched a couple minutes before, but I finally got a chance to sit down and watch the whole thing. Some of it is tough but some of it is stupidly, stupidly easy. Here's a picture of a sloppy joe, what is it? Here's a picture of Dolly Parton, who is it?

Why do we think Brad is sucking? I guess it's gotta be the buzzer?? I'm getting more right than he is but obv without buzzing, whereas he absolutely kicks my rear end at LL.

I think he hasn't adjusted as well as Ken to James's strategy, but I also think he's just slipped a lot from his "prime" even in a non buzzer way, he's missing DDs that don't seem harder than what he could answer in the past. Maybe he hasn't stayed as ready, or simply doesn't have the fire under his rear end the way Ken does.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I watched him bomb a couple more daily doubles and refined my hypothesis!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Pretty rude of James to call Alex a ghost before he's even dead, imo

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

CPColin posted:

Pretty rude of James to call Alex a ghost before he's even dead, imo

the pat sajak cross out was a good comedy riff, considering how low scoring the second half was

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
This is random, but: I've attended the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament since 2018 and I'm in the Facebook group. A guy posted yesterday saying he'd just registered for his first ACPT and asking if there was a process to meet people to share hotel rooms. I didn't notice anything until I saw the post again this morning, saw the guy's name, and thought, "Huh, Matt Jackson... wasn't that that guy...?" And yeah, it is indeed that guy. (I guess either he already spent all his winnings, really wants to make them last, or just wants to make a new friend. A room at the tourney hotel is $300 for the weekend.)

There are a ton of Jeopardy veterans at ACPT, not sure how many are as notable as Matt. Of course Erik Agard won the tournament in 2018 BEFORE he did Jeopardy (and Agard recently became crossword editor at USA Today, which is awesome). Sorry if this is old news, I'm like a month behind in Jeopardy (loving the GOAT though) so I haven't been reading this thread.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Propaniac posted:

This is random, but: I've attended the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament since 2018 and I'm in the Facebook group. A guy posted yesterday saying he'd just registered for his first ACPT and asking if there was a process to meet people to share hotel rooms. I didn't notice anything until I saw the post again this morning, saw the guy's name, and thought, "Huh, Matt Jackson... wasn't that that guy...?" And yeah, it is indeed that guy. (I guess either he already spent all his winnings, really wants to make them last, or just wants to make a new friend. A room at the tourney hotel is $300 for the weekend.)

There are a ton of Jeopardy veterans at ACPT, not sure how many are as notable as Matt. Of course Erik Agard won the tournament in 2018 BEFORE he did Jeopardy (and Agard recently became crossword editor at USA Today, which is awesome). Sorry if this is old news, I'm like a month behind in Jeopardy (loving the GOAT though) so I haven't been reading this thread.

A lot of jeopardy vets do trivia is competition because they are usually both good at it and like it (goes hand in hand). There’s an online trivia game a lot of them have been playing (at least as of September, my wife stopped playing around then).

I would think most jeopardy winners are smart enough not to blow through their money, but it’s probably a do trivia to do trivia thing.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
If it wasn't clear, my half-joke about his winnings ws because he's seeking to split a room with a stranger, not about him doing ACPT at all.

I actually started doing crosswords because I noticed the overlap with Jeopardy players and I thought it might help me with getting on the show. It has not, but occasionally there's a pub trivia answer that I only know because of crosswords (the show wasn't kidding with that clue about the Utne Reader).

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Erik Agard is an awesome dude and I am thrilled for him for getting his new job.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

*decked out in Ken Jennings gear waving a flag with 74 on it*

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

A lot of jeopardy vets do trivia is competition because they are usually both good at it and like it (goes hand in hand). There’s an online trivia game a lot of them have been playing (at least as of September, my wife stopped playing around then).

I would think most jeopardy winners are smart enough not to blow through their money, but it’s probably a do trivia to do trivia thing.

what game?

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
i presume it's learnedleague

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Propaniac posted:

Great, now I'm going to have nightmares about sharing a hotel room with Matt Jackson. :stonk:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Sharing a room with Matt Jackson and his 500,000 index cards.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

got some chores tonight posted:

i presume it's learnedleague

Yeah, it’s this one.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/JimmyTraina/status/1215693501456953355

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

:vince:

There may be hope for this country after all.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I wasn’t expecting it would gain viewers

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, it’s this one.

was hoping another. already there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014