Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's pure demographics, it's happening everywhere regardless of the government of the day's stripes.

Probably should have means-tested user fees on end of life care and/or death panels or something.

(Means-tested equals "charge everyone, take it out of the estate then walk away from any remaining debt")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
yes im sure ER overcrowding has nothing to do with the fact the government has closed 3 ERs since taking power 3 years ago

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

littleorv posted:

Yeah but we are saving the money on our kitchen tables.

Coincidentally Pallister cancelled the tax credit that goes to manitoba graduates that stay in the province the same year that I graduated. Costing me potentially thousands of dollars.

Out of everything Pallister did this one still pisses me off because those credits I planned into my post school budget and would be debt free by now. Thanks to that rear end in a top hat it will still be another 2 years.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

DariusLikewise posted:

yes im sure ER overcrowding has nothing to do with the fact the government has closed 3 ERs since taking power 3 years ago

Imo its due to a lack of personal responsibility. Just dont get sick ???

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
do the right thing bernie. endorse jagmeet.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

God... one of my former students and his parents were among those killed in the Iranian plane crash.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

James Baud posted:

It's pure demographics, it's happening everywhere regardless of the government of the day's stripes.

Probably should have means-tested user fees on end of life care and/or death panels or something.

(Means-tested equals "charge everyone, take it out of the estate then walk away from any remaining debt")

its happening everywhere not because people are getting old but because every government in the developed world sucks rear end and would rather close hospitals than tax billionaires

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Jan posted:

Aren't you looking forward to a PM Charest majority government!? :woop:

A reminder that Charest was so bad a PM he woke the usually apathetic Quebec voters into the worst protests the Province had seen in decades.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

James Baud posted:

Lol how can policy effect infrastructure??

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Out of everything Pallister did this one still pisses me off because those credits I planned into my post school budget and would be debt free by now. Thanks to that rear end in a top hat it will still be another 2 years.

Yah that hosed over like all of my friends

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

vyelkin posted:

its happening everywhere not because people are getting old but because every government in the developed world sucks rear end and would rather close hospitals than tax billionaires

So, with four seconds on Wikipedia to back me up... In Ontario alone, the health sector apparently had 61.3b in total capital plus operating expenditures in 2018-19.

I'm not going to cross reference the Forbes billionaire list but I'm pretty sure that seizing 100% of assets from every billionaire in Canada would only "fund" a small incremental increase there (5% or so? Less than 10%), and precious few of even the early boomers are barely hitting the expensive years. Whether through taxes or fees, we have to pay a lot more for ourselves or accept the perpetual decline of the system.

(And nobody wants to pay.)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
90 families in Canada own as much wealth as three provinces.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

well we'd tax the multimillionaires too

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

James Baud posted:

So, with four seconds on Wikipedia to back me up... In Ontario alone, the health sector apparently had 61.3b in total capital plus operating expenditures in 2018-19.

I'm not going to cross reference the Forbes billionaire list but I'm pretty sure that seizing 100% of assets from every billionaire in Canada would only "fund" a small incremental increase there (5% or so? Less than 10%), and precious few of even the early boomers are barely hitting the expensive years. Whether through taxes or fees, we have to pay a lot more for ourselves or accept the perpetual decline of the system.

(And nobody wants to pay.)

the 10 richest canadians on their own have over US$90B between them so if we actually seized 100% of their assets that alone would "fund" an over 150% increase in the arbitrary number you picked, also

eric ciaramella posted:

well we'd tax the multimillionaires too

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
to the surprise of everyone lord durham's report and aftermath did not resolve the family compact issue

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

ARACHTION posted:

God... one of my former students and his parents were among those killed in the Iranian plane crash.

Oh no :(

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ARACHTION posted:

That's awful. 60+ Canadians killed, tons of them students.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

vyelkin posted:

the 10 richest canadians on their own have over US$90B between them so if we actually seized 100% of their assets that alone would "fund" an over 150% increase in the arbitrary number you picked, also

I was figuring 100B equals (a generous) 5B/year in perpetuity, you don't get to budget a one time windfall as if you get to spend the full amount every year.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

StarMinstrel posted:

A reminder that Charest was so bad a PM he woke the usually apathetic Quebec voters into the worst protests the Province had seen in decades.

Then his equally-bad crew got back in power after a year.

And now we've got someone even dumber in charge.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
In another universe the PQ might not have squandered their chance and offered meaningful progressive change. shame we get hellworld where Bernard Drainville keeps slamming the racism button.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

James Baud posted:

I was figuring 100B equals (a generous) 5B/year in perpetuity, you don't get to budget a one time windfall as if you get to spend the full amount every year.

i bothered to add up the 41 billionaires on this list: https://dailyhive.com/edmonton/richest-people-canada-billionaires

combined total wealth: $163.6b USD, or $213.6b in Canadian dollars

that means if you bothered to get your 5% return out of just those 41 people and no one else it would be around $11b a year which, using ontario health spending which you chose as our metric, would more than make up for the projected cuts in health spending over the next 3 years because the ontario government chose to balance the budget without raising taxes:

(from here)

oh no boo hoo those 41 billionaires might have to sell one of their yachts in order for the rest of us to have funded hospitals and clinics, :qq:

add in increased taxation of our many more multimillionaires and millionaires, yes including boomer parents with million-dollar homes, and we could have a relatively stable and healthily-funded social system but we choose not to

so again, i stand by my original claim that the real problem is that our governments suck rear end and would rather close hospitals than tax billionaires [and millionaires]

vyelkin has issued a correction as of 16:45 on Jan 9, 2020

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Nine of Eight posted:

In another universe the PQ might not have squandered their chance and offered meaningful progressive change. shame we get hellworld where Bernard Drainville keeps slamming the racism button.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

StarMinstrel posted:

and yet, he'll probably be the least destructive choice on offer in the cpc race

like at least the charest liberals took climate change semi-seriously

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

thank you vyelkin for that post

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

bring back the 90% marginal tax rate on income over 100k/year

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Haha, I guess it does make sense that my estimate was a bit low because holy crap the last few years of market returns.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1215299143066947584?s=19

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/TorontoStar/status/1215288386904305666

You heard the lady, thread. Stop being such a bunch of poseurs and pretending you don't care!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

doesnt he know a beard makes it much harder to wash off blackface

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

i dont know if i like this edgier reboot of pmjt

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

eric ciaramella posted:

doesnt he know a beard makes it much harder to wash off blackface

On the other hand, less surface area to cover when he feels like dressing up again.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

trudeau is going to start smoking captain blacks at summits and celebrating press conferences with a shot of whiskey

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
No quarter for old white men:

(It only did head to heads with Trudeau, Freeland, Charest, Ambrose, and MacKay.)

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
https://twitter.com/ChalicothereX/status/1215168179820875776?s=19

I don't remember this but lmao

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

qanon followers seem to think trudeau is going to implicated in something soon lol

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

DariusLikewise posted:

qanon followers seem to think trudeau is going to implicated in something soon lol

It makes me sad that we import our crazy when there's plenty of perfectly good crazy that's 100% Canadian

fake edit: do we say crazy anymore or is that word cancelled, and if so what's an acceptable synonym in this context

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Another Bill posted:

It makes me sad that we import our crazy when there's plenty of perfectly good crazy that's 100% Canadian

fake edit: do we say crazy anymore or is that word cancelled, and if so what's an acceptable synonym in this context

loony as a dollar coin?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Another Bill posted:

The game-store near where I work took down its Qanon sign. Hopefully it will be replaced with some CanCon compliant crazy.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:iceburn:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:49 on Jun 20, 2021

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Qu'anon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I thought James Baud unsubbed, but I'm glad they didn't so I can see them get schooled on a day-to-day basis.

:thumbsup: