Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

For those who are thinking knives out for scomo, don't forget he changed the rules.

I spoke about it with toml on twitter, even if they turf him, he'll see out his term as pm

https://twitter.com/tithinm/status/1213630136672641024?s=19

https://twitter.com/BabbyUnit/status/1213635666719821826?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

NSW conditions for today

https://twitter.com/NSWRFS/status/1215218398096850944

https://twitter.com/NSWRFS/status/1215395292385890305

NSW RFS commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons said in today's briefing:

"The conditions are difficult today.

It’s the hot, dry winds that will prove once again to be the real challenge. We are going to see winds coming through around about 35-50km/h, gusting up to 70-90 an hour, in some areas out of the north-west and we are going to see that through most of the day. Later in the afternoon, anywhere from mid-afternoon, late afternoon, somewhere round about 4pm, we’ll see the change moving in."

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Today's update for Victoria

https://twitter.com/vicemergency/status/1215422661616177153

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
A brief summary from ABC News:

quote:

South Australia: Emergency warnings have been issued for two areas where bushfires on Kangaroo Island continue to burn out of control. A watch and act alert is in place for areas around the island's largest town, Kingscote.

Victoria: There are two "evacuate now" orders, two emergency warnings and 12 fires burning at watch and act level across East Gippsland, the Alpine region and the state's north-east.

NSW: There are currently no warnings but hot, dry conditions and strong winds are expected to spread out-of-control fires, with the Snowy Mountains region of particular concern.

Western Australia: A bushfire in Perth's south-east has been downgraded from emergency to watch and act but is still burning out of control.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
Came home last night after being 20ish km to the fire in Baldivis, got out the car and could smell the smoke just as strongly 70km away

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Three fires down in the NSW Snowy Mountains now at Watch and Act

https://twitter.com/NSWRFS/status/1215429850300850176

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kangaroo Island. blue burned out, yellow watch and act warnings. Still a significant improvement from yesterday when the left half of the yellow area was all red, which is fire danger.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Geez, that's bloody scary for Parndana. I haven't been to KI in several years, but last time I was there it was basically the only accommodation you could book (without knowing someone with a private shack) on the west half of the island. Could hurt the tourism there if it goes up.

I hate what's happening there :(

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I been walking around outside every day like theres not smoke everywhere and its really catching up on my lungs

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

just in case its not really apparent to non-aussies canberra and cooma are about 120km (70ish miles) apart by road.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Isaac posted:

I been walking around outside every day like theres not smoke everywhere and its really catching up on my lungs

Chesty cough medicine will help your lungs remove the poo poo that’s made it’s way into your lungs.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Air quality is good in Canberra today, but it's going to be 40C (104F)

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Is air conditioning common in Canberra?

I had to call my bank to lift the overseas block on credit card purchases, but I was able to send $17USD/25 dollarydoos to the new south welsh "firies". Stay safe, ausgoons.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Laserface posted:

just in case its not really apparent to non-aussies canberra and cooma are about 120km (70ish miles) apart by road.

And the fires are burning towards the Hume Highway south of Gundagai.

The Hume is the main road between Melbourne and Sydney & Canberra. It was closed for a few hours the other day due to a fire at Euroa which goon Tomberforce was fighting.

The other main road is the coastal route, the Princes Highway which has been closed because of fires since Christmas, where towns all along the coast built along the road have burned down.

Holidays are ending this weekend for most people so the Hume will be heavily trafficked now Christmas is over.

There are some other routes and diversions for the Hume but they'd suffer with the traffic loads if it does close down for more than a day.

Tomberforce posted:

Long haul strike team just paged again, looks like we're heading to the Corryong fire this time. Likely to be considerably more hectic than Euroa...

drunkill fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 10, 2020

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

tithin posted:

even if they turf him, he'll see out his term as pm

That seems like it'd work about as well as staying together for the sake of the kids.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
The two fires burning in the alpine region along the border are imminently merging to create a huge cross state fire.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
When your own staff are fed up with your coverage of the ongoing crisis, maybe you might be doing something wrong there, Newscorp?

'Dangerous, misinformation': News Corp employee's fire coverage email

quote:

A News Corp employee has slammed the organisation for its "irresponsible", "dangerous" and "damaging" coverage of the national bushfire crisis, urging executive chairman Michael Miller to think about the "big picture".

In an email distributed to News Corp Australia staff and addressed to Mr Miller, commercial finance manager Emily Townsend said she had been filled with anxiety and disappointment over the coverage, which had impacted her ability to work.

"I have been severely impacted by the coverage of News Corp publications in relation to the fires, in particular the misinformation campaign that has tried to divert attention away from the real issue which is climate change to rather focus on arson (including misrepresenting facts)," she said.

"I find it unconscionable to continue working for this company, knowing I am contributing to the spread of climate change denial and lies. The reporting I have witnessed in The Australian, The Daily Telegraph and Herald Sun is not only irresponsible, but dangerous and damaging to our communities and beautiful planet that needs us more than ever to acknowledge the destruction we have caused and start doing something about it."

I wish Emily good luck in her future endeavours.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Buttcoin purse posted:

That seems like it'd work about as well as staying together for the sake of the kids.

Well you'd argue they wouldn't do it for that reasons.

But as they're pretty good at turning on each other, what's to stop 51% voting to overturn the new rules spilling him all in one go?

I'm luckily not familiar with their constitution or rule book or whatever, but its not like it's legislation.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Quantum Shart posted:

just in case you though there was any hope, submit unto scomo and despair.
https://twitter.com/abc730/status/1215216515949056000

I like how he barely acknowledged the paris agreement and heavily puts the 1990 one as more legit since they can cheat with that one at the end

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

droll posted:

Its around, but I wouldnt say standard. I don't have AC so I just cop it.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

I've experienced the wonders of a squirty bottle and a standing fan before so stay strong no-AC people

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

droll posted:

I had to call my bank to lift the overseas block on credit card purchases, but I was able to send $17USD/25 dollarydoos to the new south welsh "firies". Stay safe, ausgoons.

Honestly it depends on whether you can afford it or not. Or if your landlord has bothered to install it. Also insulation in houses/apartments is atrocious in this country.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Helith posted:

NSW conditions for today

https://twitter.com/NSWRFS/status/1215218398096850944

https://twitter.com/NSWRFS/status/1215395292385890305

NSW RFS commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons said in today's briefing:

"The conditions are difficult today.

It’s the hot, dry winds that will prove once again to be the real challenge. We are going to see winds coming through around about 35-50km/h, gusting up to 70-90 an hour, in some areas out of the north-west and we are going to see that through most of the day. Later in the afternoon, anywhere from mid-afternoon, late afternoon, somewhere round about 4pm, we’ll see the change moving in."

the lights just flickered in my melbourne CBD apartment. mind you looking at that map i assume the snowy hydro has been evacuated and all the transmission lines destroyed

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Slugnoid posted:

the lights just flickered in my melbourne CBD apartment. mind you looking at that map i assume the snowy hydro has been evacuated and all the transmission lines destroyed

I don't really know that part of Australia at all, where's the Snowy Hydro located?

Here's the Victoria Fire map showing whats happening in Vic now.

https://www.emergency.vic.gov.au/re...m=1578633560714

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Slugnoid posted:

If I recall a few days ago they said the main transmission lines between NSW and Victoria had been destroyed, but it was NSW that was undersupplied as a result.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Helith posted:

I don't really know that part of Australia at all, where's the Snowy Hydro located?

Here's the Victoria Fire map showing whats happening in Vic now.

https://www.emergency.vic.gov.au/re...m=1578633560714

it's a series of dams in the snowy mountains from Tumut to Khancoban and looking at the maps its just about all on fire

MikeJF posted:

If I recall a few days ago they said the main transmission lines between NSW and Victoria had been destroyed, but it was NSW that was undersupplied as a result.

The lions share of the power from the snowy scheme goes to NSW, Vic gets a portion but not as much. NSW will feel it worst because Vic usually sends 'oversupply' of our power from Morwell and Traralgon to NSW but alot of those lines are down too.

Slugnoid fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 10, 2020

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Incredible photos
https://www.smh.com.au/interactive/2020/behind-the-lens/live/index.html

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Right, yes then a lot of the Snowy Hydro area is in active fires. Not heard anything about any damage to the complex on the news, just to transmission lines.

Two new fires have started in NSW, one just morth of Faulconbridge in the Blue Mountains and one out at Coonabarabran which is at Emergency level. Both are thought to have been started by lightning strikes.

Insert witty comment about that firebug Zeus being at it again :smith:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
i'm dead

https://twitter.com/minhtngo/status/1215441240587505664

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The Vic-Nsw interconnector was damaged in Kosciuszko national park. I think it has been fixed though.

Here are photos of pest horses showing the high voltage transmission lines running through the burnt area.

https://twitter.com/ABCcameramatt/status/1215006706540802048?s=19

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Afaik Victoria imports electricity from SA too so this will affect NSW more

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

drunkill posted:

The Vic-Nsw interconnector was damaged in Kosciuszko national park. I think it has been fixed though.

Here are photos of pest horses showing the high voltage transmission lines running through the burnt area.

https://twitter.com/ABCcameramatt/status/1215006706540802048?s=19

Small reminder to international viewers while very beautiful in pictures wild brumbies are a serious ecological problem to the country.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yet because they're immortalized in cultural depictions etc the NSW government has passed a bill preventing any controls at all over these pests. Good job.

I wonder if the fires will help with their overpopulation.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Honestly even non feral horses are pests. Beautiful pests and people don’t clear land specifically for horses like they do for other livestock but once you clear land and get horses on it, the soil density changes dramatically and growing anything except brush and scrub stuff is nigh impossible

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

droll posted:

iRend posted:

I donated a pile of money. Apparently naked lady has had a breakdown though? I was kinda interested seeing how many nudies I got for a few chunks.

Local pubs here are doing a firie pub crawl, $30 for a pint (i assume) at ALL THREE pubs, all proceeds to fires.

Thank you for your generosity to strangers by the way dear goons. Sorry for the belated thanks I have been at work.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Gridlocked posted:

Small reminder to international viewers while very beautiful in pictures wild brumbies are a serious ecological problem to the country.

Kosciuszko brumbies are a federally protected animal because tourists like to look at them dance around and destroy the environment with their knife rear end feet

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

Sent $85 to the NSW RFS and a matching $85 sent by the rest of my family. Think it was Monday or so. Hope will prevail.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

straya mate posted:

Sent $85 to the NSW RFS and a matching $85 sent by the rest of my family. Think it was Monday or so. Hope will prevail.

Thank you goon with the appropriate name.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

drunkill posted:

The transmission lines didn’t cop much damage, probably because they have a very wide easement that’s been cleared, and are above the height for grass fires.

What does happen is the heavy smoke makes it easier for the air to ionise and trip out circuits.

During a bushfire or fire ban, the lines won’t be reenergised until they’ve been patrolled, to avoid starting more fires. This is very hard to do in an active fire zone so they stay off for longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Incredible
https://twitter.com/rabbitandcoffee/status/1215541077320450048