Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Agony Aunt posted:

Rexshilla will be hard at work touting it to the Cattlefield crowd who will go la-la over his awesome presentation of it and bring in new money for CIG.
Has Rexzilla moved to another platform then?
I thought he had just quit SC after getting a new gig.
His Twitch has nothing newer than three months ago:

https://www.twitch.tv/rexzilla/videos?filter=highlights&sort=time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
hes on the boomer gaming network, aka facebook

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beexoffel posted:

Jade Starwatcher posted:

So i had never heard of you or the forum you post on until someone sent me a link where you were talking about me. Then i saw you have become fascinated by the rise of Rexzilla "seemingly out of nowhere." and the Alex Jones-esque conspiracy theories of him being a paid marketer by CIG's due to an investment in marketing Squadron 42.....

It's almost funny how wrong you have it.

Here are the main reasons:

First of all Rexzilla isn't new to Star Citizen, he backed the game around the same time i did back in 2016 and was a member of an org called Aces High (ACESHI). I know this because my previous org (which i co-founded) used to fight them at Security Post Kareah. So he isn't new, he played the game in 2016 and 2017 but didnt stream it and took a break from it because peformance was poor and all we had were a few on foot PvP areas. He's not a pilot, the FPS aspect of the game appealed to him.

He like me never played any of Chris Roberts old games. i was born in 1995. You should not hold this against me or anyone else who didn't know who Chris Roberts was until they discovered Star Citizen. There are a lot of us and we are a fast growing part of the Star Citizen community.

There is growing new guard due to a perfect storm. The game being playable due to client-side OCS and new game features and environments has brought in a lot of new people. In my case i only became a backer after a woman told me in a Second Life group voice chat that procedural planets were going to be a thing (she sent me a link to the Homestead Demo) and that playable female characters were coming soon with both likely to make an appearance in 3.0 (i know right!?). Knowing nothing of the delays SC has had i enthusiastically pledged in Dec 2016 for an Aurora starter package. Today we have OCS, FPS AI (derpy as it is, its something), 2 landable planets, 9 landable moons and landable planetoid with ourposts, stations even cities with trains and stuff. And i finally get to play with a character which represents me making it all finally immesive. This probably doesn't surprise you but friends i have who are also female and game have held off until they could play with a female character.

Some older streamers and backers see any change as scary and this influx of newer, often younger backers is disruptive to what the Star Citizen community has traditionally been since the Kickstarter.

The reason Rexzilla gets the huge audience he does are because he offers something none of the old guard offered:

a) A positive attitude taking advantage of the sandbox, sci-fi space sim we have today rather than theorycrafting and wishing for what we might have in the future.

So many of the Star Citizen streamers fall into a "negative nancy" mode. i totally get why they're like this, because for most of their streaming life there was no playable game. Old habits die hard and now that there is one its hard for them to break out of this. Instead of taking Chris Roberts seriously when he has repeatedly stated Star Citizen would be a sort of Space Second Life, they spend time talking about delays on gameplay mechanics even though we have cargo and mining.

b) Accessibility. Most of the older Star Citizen streamers have had an air about them of "I'm the streamer, you watch me but that's it." In other words, they kept a wall between themselves and people who might want to join in with what they're doing. Rexzilla has taken the opposite approach, he welcomes everyone to play with him and have epic experiences as a group. i am part of ZDF as well as my own org and i can tell you, we're not actors. We do some light roleplay but we're all there to have a good time. Part of that is following instructions but you have that in any org. My org did the same type of ops on a regular basis, we didn't stream them but they do require willing participants, clear comms and clear leadership. Its the same in the ZDF. Whether we are part of the ground forces or support and combat pilots (those ships you see on his streams are often there to protect the op against stream snipers, i know because i took one down in my Glaive).

c) Personality. Sorry but many of the older guard remind me of my dad trying to play games in the way they interact with the audience. Its boring, even when they are doing something midly interesting because they just don't have the energy or hype level Rex does.

Fear of the new leads to salt. You've seen it and commented on it with reactions to Rex's rise. i've seen it personally on a much smaller level as some people who are fans of TheBase radio station have attacked The Peoples Radio (TPR), the immersive, Star Citizen station i started. Older backers have thrown shade at us even though we're doing something quite different than TheBase in terms of content and our target demographics (newer and younger backers and a more diverse audience in general). This some of this low level salt among older fans of TheBase goes on even though Juntau from TheBase and i get along great and respect each other. In fact he recently had some very nice things to say about us and our quick rise on The Captain's Table. CIG loves our weekly news program (we've been the Staff Pick in the Community Hub on CIG's site and they and even made me an MVP for it one week. Again, it's because we use the game to make immersive content now. Everything is content to us, een bugs. It's that kind of positive attitude the community has responded to both with us and Rexzilla (who gives us shoutouts from time to time).

ZDF as an org is bigger than Rexzilla. It's not just an org, its a movement. The ZDF does a lot of stuff on and off stream not involving Rexzilla. This ranges from Star Marine tournaments to participating in the 50 person pub craw i organized in Star Citizen. Most large orgs with charasmatic leaders would not have responded the way ZDF did when i put the idea out there seeking both security and participants. (i know this having interacted with them in the past). Rexzilla was reachable and their support of the event helped ensure it was success but they were one of like 5 smaller orgs who all contributed to that. We managed to fill a server with people all involved in the event on a day servers were going down left and right due to 30K errors related to an FPS AI mission. Wakapedia from CIG even came in at the end of the pub crawl and let us all in the Million Mile High Club in Area 18 making for more great content both on the stream and for TPR News.

So i guess what i'm saying is this is all organic growth of the game and a demographic change. i had a good conversation the other day on Discord with another content creator when this very subject came up. i asked her what she thought would happen as people who like and play Fortnite now start coming over to playing Star Citizen and she nearly spit her coffee out both because she knows its inevitable and the reaction will be a culture shock not unlike what you're seeing happening now with the emergence of Rex and the ZDF.

A game like this can not be successful based on old money and old salt alone. Too many older backers and streamers are jaded and what Rex has proven is that almost no one wants to watch endless negativity of what is missing from the game when the alternative is watching and/or participating in some epic, community created sandbox gameplay with the amazing locales, weapons and ships CIG has created.

PS: Yes i did buy $10K worth of ships during the height of the cryptocurrency boom the same amount of crypto i used back then is worth about $1500 today. The same foresight that helped me see that Ethereum would be something worth mining and holding on to at the end of 2015 (when it was $0.40 cents and helped me pursuade my boyfriend to start mining and trading before we sold when it went above $1,000 is the same foresight i've used in seeing the long view of this game's development.

Doing the former paid of my student loans. Doing the later will pay off in many years of fun. In some ways, it already has.

i hope this clears things up. i am fairly certain that what we are witnessing isn't some co-ordinated marketing campaign. it's the result of years of game development and an influx of new blood.

if you want, feel free to share this in its entirety.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheAgent posted:

Yep and also he hasn't streamed SC for about 3 weeks, apparently. Either the contract ran out or the 3.8 patch just broke things that much.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

TheAgent posted:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yep and also he hasn't streamed SC for about 3 weeks, apparently. Either the contract ran out or the 3.8 patch just broke things that much.

So he's still sort-of on SC but on another platform that can gather data about his viewers.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Popete posted:

You can't fly the Idris because it's just too intense for you dumb idiots to handle. She's a real beast and will require hundreds of hours of SQ42 flight time before earning your certificate to fly it in the PU. Just because you paid thousands of dollars for one doesn't give you the right to just fly it whenever you want like some Credit Card Captain.

Yep, it’s only for the dedicated and sophisticated spaceman, and the longer that CIG takes to put it in the game and the more hoops they make you jump through the better. In fact, I hope Chris took the money I spent on my Idris and used it to roll blunts and snort coke.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 10, 2020

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beexoffel posted:

So he's still sort-of on SC but on another platform that can gather data about his viewers.

He switched engines, took him 2 days

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

TheAgent posted:

“A game like this can not be successful based on old money and old salt alone”, she said, as she watched the fresh new face of Star Citizen Hype retreat to her dad’s preferred social media platform.

quote:

“Sorry but many of the older guard remind me of my dad trying to play games in the way they interact with the audience. Its boring, even when they are doing something midly interesting because they just don't have the energy or hype level Rex does...”

We’re all sorry, Jade. So very sorry...

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Beexoffel posted:

He signed an exclusivity deal with Facebook gaming and has been streaming Star Citizen less and less.
Mostly he’s into COD, he’s even been playing Escape From Tarkov quite a bit.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
jade is also huge into bitcoin/blockchain poo poo and owns two SC based radio stations

she's also pretty much what I imagine most SC whales are at this point

completely loving stupid

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

G0RF posted:

We’re all sorry, Jade. So very sorry...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM&t=174s

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Total classic

In fact, it's even better than I remember lol

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit:
I hope CIG refuses. CryTek has openly admitted that they have nothing to go on, and this charade should run to its conclusion.

The points that CryTek has left are of no value to anyone. Holding a project hostage because they have a "suspicion" that they can't prove and seems counter to existing evidence is ridiculous. They had to lie to make the claim that Squadron 42 isn't converted to Lumberyard.

And if all of the accusations were true, CIG has a license to develop BOTH games with CryEngine. It says so in the contract. So when all comes to all, it's nothing more than a matter of a logo on a goddamn splash screen.

They can try to play the game of "Squadron 42 being a separate game" but the problem is that CIG asked CryTek if how they were solving it was ok, and CryTek responded with "yes".

I think that the whole case is about CryTek regretting giving CIG the license for 2 million dollars with no royalties. And trying to go back on an agreement by bringing lawyers to the table is a poo poo thing to do.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
https://gfycat.com/bouncyglaringbaboon

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Ha ha ha. That's a good gif.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

:stare: That missile :stare:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

I think I like the ships little plastic outline spinning into the ground the most, but the missile is great too.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

It's amazing that there is literally an age old mmo struggle between the older community being replaced by a newer community and the anxiety over whether the devs will shift focus and start making changes based on this winding up with a game that no longer reflects what you want, in a game that doesn't exist yet.

WoW took what, a decade to start having that issue?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Missiles are broken in so many ways. It’s impressive!

ЕCLIPSE MISSILE GET STUCK AFTER LAUNCH

quote:

ACTUAL RESULT

after lock and pressing missile lanche button, the missile flies off the ship vertically down by 2 -3 meters, starts the engines and very slowly descends from the ship, not flying to the target. Then it disappears.

EXPECTED RESULT

after lunch missile flies to the target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo1kjH2HWwo&t=17s

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I can't wait to find out what CIG's technobabble solution is to the age-old problem of, *checks*, having one entity move towards another entity and if the hitboxes collide inflict damage on the second one. It's honestly impressive how broken that engine is while still lurching around.

Pixelate posted:

quote:

Never mind, there's your problem. The missile didn't get its lunch break. You can't expect a missile to go explode on an empty belly can you? Feed your missiles, citizens.

(bets on if they'll talk about introducing simulated fueling for missiles, anybody?)

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Pixelate posted:

EXPECTED RESULT

Note: ensure all ammo on ship had lunch.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Anyone remember back in CitCon 2018 when they said they would start collecting detailed hardware specifications with each bug report, and implied that most of the game’s issues and horrible jank were due to people trying to run it on plebe-tier gaming rigs?

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 10, 2020

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
look at all those people editing their ini files

Pgabz you absolute villain

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Pixelate posted:

Missiles are broken in so many ways. It’s impressive!

quote:

ACTUAL RESULT

after lock and pressing missile lanche button, the missile flies off the ship vertically down by 2 -3 meters, starts the engines and very slowly descends from the ship, not flying to the target. Then it disappears.

EXPECTED RESULT

It's definitely a food related glitch, 'lanche' is Portugese for 'snack'. :)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Imagine if I went through the effort of splicing that lovely video of someone firing a missile and it falling out of the back before zooming away, with the clip of that Ukrainian plane being shot down over Tehran.

Your pledge could make this tasteless joke happen!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

no_recall posted:

Note: ensure all ammo on ship had lunch.

That explains why CIG has been working so hard on procedural food!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Reveals a lot.

Involved in bitcoin/etherium.

And...

quote:

Second Life

quote:

And i finally get to play with a character which represents me making it all finally immesive

Escapism, second life in space.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dementropy posted:

:reddit:
I hope CIG refuses. CryTek has openly admitted that they have nothing to go on, and this charade should run to its conclusion.

The points that CryTek has left are of no value to anyone. Holding a project hostage because they have a "suspicion" that they can't prove and seems counter to existing evidence is ridiculous. They had to lie to make the claim that Squadron 42 isn't converted to Lumberyard.

And if all of the accusations were true, CIG has a license to develop BOTH games with CryEngine. It says so in the contract. So when all comes to all, it's nothing more than a matter of a logo on a goddamn splash screen.

They can try to play the game of "Squadron 42 being a separate game" but the problem is that CIG asked CryTek if how they were solving it was ok, and CryTek responded with "yes".

I think that the whole case is about CryTek regretting giving CIG the license for 2 million dollars with no royalties. And trying to go back on an agreement by bringing lawyers to the table is a poo poo thing to do.

Someone should inform the judge. This armchair lawyer has already decided the case for them!

If only all court cases could be solved so easily!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

Someone should inform the judge. This armchair lawyer has already decided the case for them!

She’s already on CIG’s side remember? The Citizenry already figured it out. Because her dad something space, she already loves Star Citizen; it’s the closest we’ll ever get to experiencing interstellar travel in our lifetimes and it represents an evolutionary milestone for the human race. So she will definitely stop Crytek’s cowardly attempt to smother Chris’ vision in its 300 million dollar cradle.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

colonelwest posted:

it’s the closest we’ll ever get to experiencing interstellar travel in our lifetimes

Years and years of nothing happening and we'll all be dead by the time we get to the end of it

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

colonelwest posted:

She’s already on CIG’s side remember? The Citizenry already figured it out. Because her dad something space, she already loves Star Citizen; it’s the closest we’ll ever get to experiencing interstellar travel in our lifetimes and it represents an evolutionary milestone for the human race. So she will definitely stop Crytek’s cowardly attempt to smother Chris’ vision in its 300 million dollar cradle.

I remember when someone theorized that she might be secretly a backer.

I mean, some of these guys are absoloutely clueless. For a start, even if this judge was somehow a gamer and somehow a backer of SC, then they would have to recuse themselves from presiding over the trial.

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'

Agony Aunt posted:

Status conference in less than 10 hours. Belated Eastern Orthodox Christmas present incoming? Please Dolly please.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Fun Star Citizen Fact:

As of January 2020, the current job openings at CIG exceed the sever player count caps.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Looking forward to the roadmap later today. I am prepared to be dazzled by the progress.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Bootcha posted:

Fun Star Citizen Fact:

As of January 2020, the current job openings at CIG exceed the sever player count caps.

that just means everything is going so well they're able to expand

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Bootcha posted:

Fun Star Citizen Fact:

Fun Star Citizen Fact 2:

Star Citizen is still bad.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
I did some quick mafs a few years ago before I got my refund and determined that it was impossible with current networking architecture to have as many entities and sub entities all in one instance with any sort of reasonable ping or frame rate.

Based on the kickstarter pledges at the time IF they had everything promised in, I calculated something around the area of 2-4MB/s xml data from the client alone.

Anyone got figures on current bandwidth?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Baxta posted:

I did some quick mafs a few years ago before I got my refund and determined that it was impossible with current networking architecture to have as many entities and sub entities all in one instance with any sort of reasonable ping or frame rate.

Based on the kickstarter pledges at the time IF they had everything promised in, I calculated something around the area of 2-4MB/s xml data from the client alone.

that could easily be reduced if cig were competent and only sent relevant/local data to each client

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baxta posted:

But that was before CIG invented object container streaming. Now they will be able to have a bazillion entities in every instance.

Checkmate gooniflaps.