Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Yoda dies on purpose just to make Luke feel bad because he's a passive-aggressive little poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Ingmar terdman posted:

Pretty cool that the titles of the sequels are pretty much interchangeable

Can you find a permutation of the original six that makes sense? My attempt:

1: A New Hope
2: Return of the Jedi
3: Attack of the Clones
4: The Phantom Menace
5: Revenge of the Sith
6: The Empire Strikes Back

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ingmar terdman posted:

In fairness, so are the first 3.

Same with the next 3, provided you don't put AotC first.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ingmar terdman posted:

I do indeed keep thinking Revenge of the Sith first whenever I see "ROS"

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Episode 1: Attack of the Drones
Episode 2: Attack of the Clones
Episode 3: Sheev on the Throne

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 10, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Revenge of the Sith
Force Awakens
Last Jedi
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The prequels have the least interchangeable titles I think. The Phantom Menace could be any one, or Revenge Of The Sith could at a stretch, though as a reference to Return Of The Jedi it's best suited where it is, but Attack Of The Clones could really only be episode 2, because of the joke that the title ends up referring to what the heroes do. I guess it could be episode 3 as well, because one of the major events of the plot is the Jedi being attacked by the clones

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Phantom Menace works for 3, too. Order 66 itself is a Phantom Menace.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Episode 1: The Rise Of Skywalker
Episode 2: A New Hope
Episode 3: The Force Awakens
Episode 4: The Empire Strikes Back
Episode 5: Revenge Of The Sith
Episode 6: The Last Jedi
Episode 7: Attack Of The Clones
Episode 8: Return Of The Jedi
Episode 9: The Phantom Menace

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Return of the Jedi works as Episode 2 because it's saying that those Jedi you know and love from the first movie? They're back, baby.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Episode 1 The Phantom Menace
Episode 2 The Last Jedi
Episode 3 Revenge of the Sith
Episode 4 The Force Awakens
Episode 5 Rise of the Skywalker
Episode 6 Attack of the Clones
Episode 7 The Return of the Jedi
Episode 8 The Empire Strikes Back
Episode 9 A New Hope

I went for a similar idea as above, youd have a long arc of the Jedi being a hope, extinguished, and then triumphantly return

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

So, for starters, this is dramatically different from what happens in Episode 6.

In the popular Throne Room sequence, Palpatine and Vader are both engaged in this merciless critique of Luke’s Republican ideology: Palpatine is correctly pointing out that the Jedi have always been servants of darkness, while Vader pushes Luke towards the authentic light side. This is often misread as a battle over Vader’s soul when, actually, Luke is being torn between Christ and the Devil while they literally stand over him.

The reason for this misreading is that fans don’t understand Luke and the Rebels are sinful. Luke is considered just axiomatically good because he’s the protagonist, while the ugly old guy is obviously yucky and evil. Clearly, it’s easy for Luke to reject Satan - and he does, right? But then, the issue is that Luke and the fans reject Christ as well. The conventional stance is that Christ deserved to die for not supporting the creation of the New Republic (a conclusion that eventually leads to Luke trying to murder his nephew).

Anyways, in Episode 9, Rey is faced with an entirely different dilemma. Where Luke is unable to truly defeat Satan because he is too attached to wishy-washy centrism, Rey is drawn straight to evil time and time again - to the point that she starts to feel guilty about it. Because, you know, Rey has no beef with the late Emperor. She was living in poverty under the New Republic, then briefly fought Snoke and Kylo.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Emperor Palpatine hosed.

Just imagine that.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

Emperor Palpatine hosed.

Just imagine that.

Why imagine! With VR you could live through it! You can either be Palpatine or his partner!
You can buy lootboxes which could contain condoms allowing you to prevent the ST from happening.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
All politicians gently caress.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

sassassin posted:

All politicians gently caress.

Six words for you: Senator Jar Jar Binks Sex Scandal

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

So, for starters, this is dramatically different from what happens in Episode 6.

In the popular Throne Room sequence, Palpatine and Vader are both engaged in this merciless critique of Luke’s Republican ideology: Palpatine is correctly pointing out that the Jedi have always been servants of darkness, while Vader pushes Luke towards the authentic light side. This is often misread as a battle over Vader’s soul when, actually, Luke is being torn between Christ and the Devil while they literally stand over him.

The reason for this misreading is that fans don’t understand Luke and the Rebels are sinful. Luke is considered just axiomatically good because he’s the protagonist, while the ugly old guy is obviously yucky and evil. Clearly, it’s easy for Luke to reject Satan - and he does, right? But then, the issue is that Luke and the fans reject Christ as well. The conventional stance is that Christ deserved to die for not supporting the creation of the New Republic (a conclusion that eventually leads to Luke trying to murder his nephew).

Anyways, in Episode 9, Rey is faced with an entirely different dilemma. Where Luke is unable to truly defeat Satan because he is too attached to wishy-washy centrism, Rey is drawn straight to evil time and time again - to the point that she starts to feel guilty about it. Because, you know, Rey has no beef with the late Emperor. She was living in poverty under the New Republic, then briefly fought Snoke and Kylo.

Hmmm, theres some interesting stuff here and I understand bits and pieces of it but when I try to evaluate it all at once my head hurts and I get quite cross.

The whole trilogy feels a bit like rey is on her gap year and now shes got it all out of her system.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Detective No. 27 posted:

Rise of the Skywalker is so devoid of substance that we're already back to Prequel chat.

Did it even have any homages to other movies? (besides Star Wars)

Yeah, the Death Star Destroyers falling out of the sky on various planets with cheering Ewoks in the foreground is a reference to Independence Day, except it doesn't make any sense why they would 1) fall out of the sky, and 2) why Ewoks would cheer instead of going "not this poo poo again".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Palpatine also genuinely seemed to want to help Anakin too.
Maybe he did.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

No Mods No Masters posted:

Grilling pablo in a police interrogation room in excruciating detail over whether and to what extent fortnite is canon

I think like 90 percent of the Pabloposting in this thread is from you. You OK man?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Barudak posted:

I mean why else do you think they keep him around?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Hmmm, theres some interesting stuff here and I understand bits and pieces of it but when I try to evaluate it all at once my head hurts and I get quite cross.

To put things straightforwardly: what happened to Palpatine’s “spirit”? Was it obliterated, or did it become omnipresent? Ultimately, did it enter Rey?

These questions are important, because they amount to asking who controls the Galaxy now? The First Order is destroyed, offscreen, by “people”. Which people? And now what?

Between the point where Palpatine asks to be killed, and the point where Rey kills him - long before that point, even - we get a baffling series of twists and reversals, deaths and resurrections. The main thing is that Rey dies taking out Palpatine, and then Ben (who is also seemingly ‘possessed’ by Leia’s mind) sacrifices himself (and what’s left of Leia) to bring Rey back from the dead. This leads to an enormous amount of ambiguity:

-Leia’s final death can be read as a self-sacrifice, her finally letting go of the Republican ideology. The Alliance dies with her, and something new can emerge.

-Alternately, but along those same lines, it’s possible Ben sacrifices himself in order to finally free himself of Leia’s influence.

-Throughout the film, there’s an implication that Ben is an ‘alternate personality’ of Rey’s (hence how the sword can instantly ‘jump’ from Rey’s hand to Kylo’s). In this case, things are much more muddled. Like, Ben sacrifices himself to free Rey from his influence - but what does Ben even stand for at this point in the story? He throws away the sword, as Luke does, but then gets a blue sword and uses it to kill the Knights.

-Alternately, again, it’s possible that Rey is in Ben’s head and therefore Ben’s ‘death’ really means that he now fully identifies with the Rey personality (similar to how, in Syberberg’s Parsifal, Parsifal transforms into a woman partway through the opera).

It’s really a mess, but the fact that there are so many contradictory meanings opens of a space of pure meaninglessness.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Rey was dead and probably about to be resurrected as evil Palpatine, but then Ben kissed his goodness into her which defeated the evil spirit. Because she contains Ben's good spirit and Palpatine's evil one, Rey has now achieved true balance- as symbolized by the colour yellow

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ben definitely kissed palpatine and liked it. He liked it so much it gave him an aneurysm

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
in star wars if you think of sex you die

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

To put things straightforwardly: what happened to Palpatine’s “spirit”? Was it obliterated, or did it become omnipresent? Ultimately, did it enter Rey?

These questions are important, because they amount to asking who controls the Galaxy now? The First Order is destroyed, offscreen, by “people”. Which people? And now what?

Between the point where Palpatine asks to be killed, and the point where Rey kills him - long before that point, even - we get a baffling series of twists and reversals, deaths and resurrections. The main thing is that Rey dies taking out Palpatine, and then Ben (who is also seemingly ‘possessed’ by Leia’s mind) sacrifices himself (and what’s left of Leia) to bring Rey back from the dead. This leads to an enormous amount of ambiguity:

-Leia’s final death can be read as a self-sacrifice, her finally letting go of the Republican ideology. The Alliance dies with her, and something new can emerge.

-Alternately, but along those same lines, it’s possible Ben sacrifices himself in order to finally free himself of Leia’s influence.

-Throughout the film, there’s an implication that Ben is an ‘alternate personality’ of Rey’s (hence how the sword can instantly ‘jump’ from Rey’s hand to Kylo’s). In this case, things are much more muddled. Like, Ben sacrifices himself to free Rey from his influence - but what does Ben even stand for at this point in the story? He throws away the sword, as Luke does, but then gets a blue sword and uses it to kill the Knights.

-Alternately, again, it’s possible that Rey is in Ben’s head and therefore Ben’s ‘death’ really means that he now fully identifies with the Rey personality (similar to how, in Syberberg’s Parsifal, Parsifal transforms into a woman partway through the opera).

It’s really a mess, but the fact that there are so many contradictory meanings opens of a space of pure meaninglessness.

If they weren't cowards they would make Episode 10 about the force ghost of Sheev ghost-maneuvering back into power on some backwater, hiding the fact he's a ghost when he needs to by using the force to move a lovely puppet around instead. At the end of the movie he turns to the audience is tells us that no one is ever really gone

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Neo Rasa posted:

I mean why else do you think they keep him around?

Anakin, staring at the distance, nothing can remove him from his Vietnam flashback.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

2house2fly posted:

Rey was dead and probably about to be resurrected as evil Palpatine, but then Ben kissed his goodness into her which defeated the evil spirit. Because she contains Ben's good spirit and Palpatine's evil one, Rey has now achieved true balance- as symbolized by the colour yellow

BUt yellow is a primary colour?

Thank you for writing this bit. It means I can have a crack at all the rest and not have to worry that I was meant to be coming to some sort of epiphany at the end of it.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 10, 2020

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL9OndTfhno

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Barudak posted:

There was also that fat Twi'Lek senator with sexy droids.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 10, 2020

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I really wish people would include a summary for youtube links

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

McCloud posted:

I really wish people would include a summary for youtube links

I really wish people would include a bit of a summary in their post about why they wished that people would post a summary for youtube links

lol joke

although I dont know why you're cross

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I watched that video already and it's good, but when someone's sending a 10 minute video you do generally want to know what it is so that you don't waste any more time than necessary if the reason they posted it is because they think it's crap or something like that. (Although this is worse when it's like an hour long essay someone's sending and you won't know if they sent it because it makes a good point or if it's brainmeltingly stupid.)

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I really wish people would include a bit of a summary in their post about why they wished that people would post a summary for youtube links

lol joke

although I dont know why you're cross

Well that's because I'm an rear end with an attitude problem :v: I was just mildly peeved, I probably came across as more cranky than I meant to, to be fair. It's a bit of a pet peeve I have when people link to long videos without any real explanation to what it is they're linking. Just clicking on that clip, and the approximate 11 seconds I spent watching it it's an 11 minute clip of two old white dudes talking about ROS. Why is it interesting? Why did s/he think to link it? Is it relevant to the discussion or is it a segue into a new topic?

Honestly, I didn't mean to be a dick about that, so thanks for calling me out on it. I'll think about phrasing next time so I don't come off as a total pillock

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

McCloud posted:

Well that's because I'm an rear end with an attitude problem :v: I was just mildly peeved, I probably came across as more cranky than I meant to, to be fair. It's a bit of a pet peeve I have when people link to long videos without any real explanation to what it is they're linking. Just clicking on that clip, and the approximate 11 seconds I spent watching it it's an 11 minute clip of two old white dudes talking about ROS. Why is it interesting? Why did s/he think to link it? Is it relevant to the discussion or is it a segue into a new topic?

Honestly, I didn't mean to be a dick about that, so thanks for calling me out on it. I'll think about phrasing next time so I don't come off as a total pillock

Yeah totally fair enough. I'm a Uker so I knew who the dudes were straight away so I knew what it was. I've totally rolled my eyes at youtubes that i haven't got a clue wtf too.

The key point of that video I guess was once Kermode, the critic, had savaged the movie a bit, the host then read out an email from a lass who had lost her father and how much star wars meant and all that stuff. And he handled it kind of OK and said well yeah it turns out even totally shite cinema can mean things to people. But in a nice way.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cinema Discusso > Star Wars: Even totally shite cinema can mean things to people

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

In the rest of the movies, the only kind of offputting thing is Yoda and Obi Wan using Luke and Leia as disposable assassins against Vader (if he gets killed or turned, we have a backup and THAT one can get Vader instead!), because they still haven't learned that being a Jedi isn't about going around killing Sith after all these years. Fortunately, Luke figured that out on his own and decided it was more about using your powers to connect with your friends and family and being a pacifist.

edit: It even vibes with the prequels because going after Skywalker family makes them flip out and go darkside BECAUSE they love them, but thanks to Luke not being so Jedi brainwashed and doing his own thing, he was able to pull back and reconnect with his father .

wow you failed to understand the movie completely. yoda never sends luke to kill or destroy vader, only confront him and his last bit of training for luke was literally for him to confront vader without his weapon and using his weapon showed him a vision of himself as vader, a lesson of compassion.

also for a pacifist luke kills a fuckload of people

love almost turns luke to the dark side

luke's redemption(and entire story arc from empire to jedi) is about faith, not love or connecting with family

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I always like this notion of the prequel Jedi having misunderstood the force, and letting years of monk like rules and bureaucracy cloud their judgement, leading to their own downfall.

They show such a different and conflicting depiction of the force and Jedi Values than in the original trilogy, such as eschewing family and endorsing war, that it fits so nicely.

But man, is it hard to believe that it was explicitly intentional when the films don't really do much to imply it at all except for conclusions reached by fans reading into detail. Sure, it doesn't need to whack you over the head with it, but from memory there's really nothing direct - the Jedi are always shown as the 'good guys' being manipulated by the big bad guy.

I mean casually watching it's almost as if you should agree with the Jedi teachings - if Anakin didn't fall in love then he wouldn't be Vader - problem solved. And if magically mystery Voodoo man hadn't pulled the wool over everyone's eyes things would still be fine.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Isometric Bacon posted:

I always like this notion of the prequel Jedi having misunderstood the force, and letting years of monk like rules and bureaucracy cloud their judgement, leading to their own downfall.

They show such a different and conflicting depiction of the force and Jedi Values than in the original trilogy, such as eschewing family and endorsing war, that it fits so nicely.

But man, is it hard to believe that it was explicitly intentional when the films don't really do much to imply it at all except for conclusions reached by fans reading into detail. Sure, it doesn't need to whack you over the head with it, but from memory there's really nothing direct - the Jedi are always shown as the 'good guys' being manipulated by the big bad guy.

I mean casually watching it's almost as if you should agree with the Jedi teachings - if Anakin didn't fall in love then he wouldn't be Vader - problem solved. And if magically mystery Voodoo man hadn't pulled the wool over everyone's eyes things would still be fine.

it's not that he falls in love as anakin says love is encouraged, it's the attachment the need to try and prevent himself from being hurt that causes him to fall to the dark side, the jedi are wrong because instead of teaching themselves and their students that negative emotions are normal and can be dealt with they push a strict dogma out of fear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Isometric Bacon posted:

In Phantom Menace the Jedi are explicitly not “good guys” . The whole scene at Schmis House with Anakin is on the nose. Anakin says the Jedi are here to free the slaves and Qui Gon was “no we aren’t actually good guys”.