Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Stardom is basically the most maintstream Joshi promotion and with good reason, they go pretty hand in hand with NJPW, especially considering they're now both owned by the same parent company. Overall, probably the best place to start, it's the home promotion of Io Shirai and Kairi Sane from WWE, Bea Priestly & Riho are regulars right now and Hana Kimura from the current season of Terrace House is there as well so there's going to be a lot of familiar faces.

TJPW is a little bit more rough around the edges. Talent varies wildly from person to person and storylines can get kind of nonsensical (Even when following DDT English Updates). Their biggest advantage is characters though, almost everyone there has it in spades and there's a reason why you constantly hear about women like Maki Itoh, Kamifuku (The weird english speaking girl) or Yuka Sakazaki. They've got their own Idol group called the Up Up Girls, and they've got some really solid wrestlers too, there's a whole lot of diversity in their roster and it all comes with the added bonus of DDT & DDT's other companies so there's pretty much something for literally everyone with a DDT Pro sub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Stardom doesn't do live streams or upload whole matches. It usually takes about a week to get matches up, tho they will pay extra to get big deal matches online sooner.

they will also spoil results on their official english twitter.

The biggest draw to outsiders is that Stardom is a tour stop for women on their way into NXT's system. Tons of gaijin have done a tour with them to noticeable increases in their abilities. The only real washouts of note have been Brandi Rhodes and Mandy Leon, but both provided significant amounts of unintentional comedy.

Stardom is also good about subtitling poo poo. Each mach upload starts with pre-match promos and any post match stuff is also subtitled.

Now here's the bad stuff:
Rossy and the other guy are kind of creeps. They got the japanese language stardom twitter suspended because showing pictures of underage wrestlers in bikinis(to promote a full roster in bikini photobook).

there's a documented history of gaijin mistreatment. If they haven't dumped all the old pajama party and tea party taped bits with the gaijin, you get all sorts of "holy poo poo, really?" moments like finding out they sleep 5-6 to a room and medical care has to be authorized. Kris Wolf is another damning story.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Things like English subtitles matter to me. I signed up, I'll give it a shot. The no commentary is kind of weird to me. I'd rather have Japanese commentary I don't understand than just nothing. You really hear the wrestlers screaming lol.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hellblazer187 posted:

Things like English subtitles matter to me. I signed up, I'll give it a shot. The no commentary is kind of weird to me. I'd rather have Japanese commentary I don't understand than just nothing. You really hear the wrestlers screaming lol.

the prematch promo pretty much covers everything and the wrestling is solid enough you know when something big is happening.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The no commentary thing was weird to me at first but you get used to it. The subtitled promos are hugely beneficial.

Are there any joshi promotions that aren't scummy? It seems like you hear about a lot of them being creepy or, at best, weird in regards to the wrestlers. Which active promotions are the least grimy?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Sendai Girls seems the least pervy but it still has plenty of sketchy carny poo poo what with whatever the hell meltdown happened over kingdom weekend.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

So if I was a new Stardom World subscriber, what say, 3-4 shows would you suggest watching to get me more or less up to speed?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hellblazer187 posted:

So if I was a new Stardom World subscriber, what say, 3-4 shows would you suggest watching to get me more or less up to speed?

the latest 3 shows are good enough unless you wanna deep dive. They really maximize the amount of mileage you get out of the prematch promos.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I'd say focus on the big shows:
Korakuen 9.22.2019 - finals of their annual singles league
Korakuen 10.14.2019 - perhaps only the top two matches, the rest is blah
Nagoya 11.15.2019 - tag league finals
Korakuen 12.24.2019 - their big year-end finale and a good starting point to jump in if you're pressed for time

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

WatermelonGun posted:

Sendai Girls seems the least pervy but it still has plenty of sketchy carny poo poo what with whatever the hell meltdown happened over kingdom weekend.

I think that's a weird work but I don't know: Hashimoto hasn't been pulled from any dates yet and they're still advertising Syuri for upcoming shows so whatever it is doesn't seem to be serious. Syuri and Meiko are old friends so it'd feel weird that she'd just decide to do that on her show but you can't rule out the impossible.

In terms of promotions that don't feel that scummy: Marvelous (owned by Chigusa Nagayo, now ran by her protege Takumi Iroha) doesn't have that feel at all. Because its Nagayo's company and she still has a few legacy fans from the good old days their audience ends to be a bit older and a lot more female than average and in terms of how they present their signed wrestlers you don't get any of that stuff: the rookies are the last rookies to get the old rookie presentation (the rookie swimsuit in ring and the company tracksuit which doing anything else), and their other signed wrestlers are Takumi Iroha and the first generation of rookies who're presented seriously, and a lot of Chigusa's old pals who're either in or near their 50s so aren't exactly going to be doing the pervy stuff. Its almost like the best mixture of old and new school: the presentation of wrestlers and stuff is old school as is the crowd competition: but they do interesting things with their rookies like doing their final tests in public and giving them clearer characters to get them over with the fans quicker and still included injured wrestlers into the shows as much as possible so that the shows have this weird family atmosphere: you almost watch Marvelous shows to watch the gang and see how they are doing rather than because they're building a particular big match, if you get me.

If you can get over the aesthetic of the Ichigaya shows I'd also include Gatoh Move; this might be me knowing about Emi Sakura and how she views her trainees (there's the story from the November EVE shows that Mei Suruga where Emi asked if they'd book a slightly less risqué burlesque act (they have one as a pre-main event intermission to advertise their shows) to usual since she didn't think Mei would want to see their usual one and would find it slightly uncomfortable and they followed her request since there's a lot of mutual respect) but I think those shows feel a lot less skeevy than similar companies. They lean into a lot of the similar idol-style aesthetic that other companies do (gear design for some of their wrestlers, the pre-show song and dance routines they do etc) but while that stuff can feel weird in other places it doesn't for me in Gatoh Move and I can't place exactly why: it could be knowing Emi; it could be that they feature plenty of people that don't fit into that style and the way that they present everyone feels a lot less skeevy than some other places. They also have that same feel as Marvelous where it almost feels like seeing how Emi and pals are doing rather than watching a big show. This might be something unique to me I dunno.

Other than those, Sendai Girls maybe; OZ Academy as well seem to present themselves in a not skeevy way either but I'm not an expert with them. No one is perfect though and these shows will feature freelancers or outside talent from promotions that market themselves in that way but for freelancers I don't think its an issue: nothing wrong with using sex to sell provided its consensual and the reason people do it is that it means that they sell boatloads of merch and in Joshi that's where the money is.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah I have no problem with wrestlers selling their sexuality, its when promoters sell their wrestler's sexuality or sexualize them in ways that you can tell the wrestlers are not ok with. Call it boner communism or whatever.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Yeah; that's my thing as well. Its sort of why I don't think TJPW is quite as bad as Stardom: because their tactic involves hiring people from outside that are models or gravure idols anyway so its not like Mina Shirakawa is being told by the promotion to sell pictures of herself.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You should watch Gatoh Move because:

A) It's free on Youtube

B) Lulu Pencil is there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIPUkYqC8pY

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gatoh Move is also extremely wholesome

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Gatoh Move is fantastic, and Chris Brookes and Rin Rin need to be a permanent tag team.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
There is no reason not to watch Gatoh Move. None!

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Sareee and DIANA announced she is leaving Japan to work overseas starting in March. Her last date in Japan is Feb 29th.

https://twitter.com/W_W_W_D/status/1215585563539070976

We knew she was leaving already, but we have a solid date now on when she is actually leaving.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Excited for Sareee to finally get a chance to learn how to do forward rolls & work the hard cam.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
i wonder what WWE will make her change her name to

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Saireee Kane
or they go with Tazz precedent and it's Sareeeeee

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Kagetsu's final Stardom match has her teaming up with Mayu Iwatani against the temporarily reformed JK Green (Momo Watanabe + Jungle Kyona).

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/uug_p_STAFF/status/1216212317328695297?s=

Miyu Yamashita continues to me the best wrestling ace

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I really thought that was Miu at first glance.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

IceAgeComing posted:

https://twitter.com/uug_p_STAFF/status/1216212317328695297?s=

Miyu Yamashita continues to me the best wrestling ace

I love how she still nails those kicks, stays true to herself even when being an idol

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

People tend to forget that Miyu Yamashita did lots of idol stuff early in the history of TJPW and she'll go right back to it in cases like this - it was Miu Watanabe's coming of age ceremony and so they drafted Miu in because of the vague similarity and also because it'd be funny.

Says something about their current roster that they had a lot of people out this weekend (Miu for the coming of age thing, Yuka Sakazaki and Maki Itoh were in the UK for EVE; a couple of people out for school or uni prep work; a couple of longer term injuries and some people out with the flu suddenly) and yet while it seemed to be noticeable they could still put on a recent secondary show despite having that many people unavailable. Probably the first time that they've had that degree of roster depth in all honesty.

e: Stardom are doing an all-women show in May which is interesting and should be good. The talk is that the plan is for all of the press photographers, referees and staff to only be women as well and while that's possible the referee one will be interesting since while there are plenty of women referees around none of them work for Stardom: Tommy works for a large variety of Joshi companies, you've got Nikkan Lee in All Japan, Ice Ribbon have a couple of women refs as do OZ Academy with their main ref being Mio Shirai as a heel. I assume they'll probably go to Tommy and whoever else is around but will be interesting.

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 13, 2020

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

IceAgeComing posted:

e: Stardom are doing an all-women show in May which is interesting and should be good. The talk is that the plan is for all of the press photographers, referees and staff to only be women as well

they're also doing an only-men-allowed show to go with it because lol

https://twitter.com/sg_oxxt/status/1216651889690865666

e: so in other words a regular Stardom show, am I right

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Johnny Landmine posted:

Or a bunch of horned up dudes staring at an empty ring, getting increasingly agitated until Rossy appears on a golden throne.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

just read about that all women's show thanks to Jim Valley's twitter and hoo boy do some people have opinions on that

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
DDT Pro has already done at least one that I remember and a couple more they've talked about doing and honestly they were a lot of fun to watch

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/TWrestlingGirls/status/1216765183013638144

I wonder what she has been doing for the last ~4 years. (Training, perhaps).

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Johnny Landmine posted:

My dream is that it's a new japan show because no girls allowed

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

My dream is that it's a new japan show because no girls allowed

Yujiro makes Chase wear the bunny mask and buttless chaps.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Yujiro makes Ishimori wear the bunny mask and buttless chaps.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

DDT Pro has already done at least one that I remember and a couple more they've talked about doing and honestly they were a lot of fun to watch

BOYZ is their all women crowd shows and YaroZ is their all men crowd shows. DDT's audience make up means that both of those feel different from a regular show unlike Stardom's all men show which I'm 100% was done in an attempt to prevent temper tantrums from manchildren about the all women's show.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The BOYZ show featuring all of DDT’s hunkiest men and then Mad Paulie wandering in lost is probably one of my all time favorite DDT moments. Altho I’m not quite sure Paulie ever knows where he is

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

What do you mean by "all of DDT's hunkiest men and then Mad Paulie? I'm not standing for this pojoshi erasure?

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Isn't there more of an acceptance in Japan for all women's spaces like train cars and such? Is this a big deal for anyone there or just twitter weirdos?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Isn't there more of an acceptance in Japan for all women's spaces like train cars and such? Is this a big deal for anyone there or just twitter weirdos?
Twitter weirdos, and probably especially foreign twitter weirdos.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

I’ll admit that having an all-women’s section at wrestle kingdom kind of owned and by that I mean “it was rad to not be the only woman in a section full of men, a couple of whom asked me if I was only there because I was with my boyfriend” when I flew there from the US to attend solo.
sat in the lower bowl for night 1 and the women-only section for night 2 and I know where I’ll be sitting next year for drat sure.

the DDT crowd was way more evenly split between men and women (and anyone non-binary) and the vibe was so absurdly fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
In my anecdotal experience DDT's crowd balance is matched only by Freedoms and that one self-produced show Kagetsu put on right before she officially signed with Stardom, the latter of which is still the best crowd I've ever seen wrestling with