Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Having not read the the thread, I’m unsure whether I should go out and buy some Chessex dice immediately or toss the ones I already have.

Oh, it's nothing nasty.

What you should do is google your existing dice and see if they are some of the rare ones that people will pay stupid money for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
I've Googled this question and can't seem to get a straight answer...

Why aren't fake Morgan dollars you see on sites like eBay and Wish illegal? They look exactly like the real deal, and even say they are legit US currency on them. Shouldn't producing and widely selling these things be a serious crime?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

dirby posted:

I was afraid of this, but I assume the Chessex thread was spirited away by an admin at the OP's request?

Yep. He was worried he might get in trouble for it and asked the thread be hidden, so I did. Guess it was kind of jarring, I could've posted okay and then hid it in an hour or whatever but I just disappeared it as soon as I saw his post asking for that.

I do not think he is in trouble, just worried he could be in the future. And nobody deserves to worry about losing their job over The Internet so that was an easy request to fill.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. He was worried he might get in trouble for it and asked the thread be hidden, so I did. Guess it was kind of jarring, I could've posted okay and then hid it in an hour or whatever but I just disappeared it as soon as I saw his post asking for that.

I do not think he is in trouble, just worried he could be in the future. And nobody deserves to worry about losing their job over The Internet so that was an easy request to fill.

While what you did was undoubtably the decent thing to do, that single unreadable reply is taunting me:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shut up Meg posted:

While what you did was undoubtably the decent thing to do, that single unreadable reply is taunting me:

IT WILL HAUNT YOU UNTIL THE END OF YOUR DAYS

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

(it's not that interesting it's just posting he's worried about getting in trouble and wants the thread axed, usually people PM those requests but he doesn't have PMs so he asked in the thread instead)

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Quora and Glassdoor have both taken to the annoying practice of forcing you to identify yourself if you browse more than one or two pages. They do this by storing something on your computer -- not sure if it's in a cookie, sessionstore, localstore, indexedDB, something. Whatever it is it's especially persistent -- "Empty Cache and Hard Reload" in Chrome does not clear the popup message on those sites.

Where is the setting in Chrome to blacklist certain pages from storing whatever it is Quora/Glassdor are using to keep spamming that popup asking you to identify yourself?

edit: Tried incognito mode, of course, and that doesn't work.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 8, 2020

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Dumb Lowtax posted:

They do this by storing something on your computer
Are you sure this is the only way they do it? If incognito doesn't work I wonder if it's based on your IP or something.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Not specific to those two but if you're coming from google they are more likely than not show actual content because of the google referrer.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean, I just tried using Quora and clicked a stupid amount of links without getting anything of the sort. Checked uMatrix (don't use this for normal browsing) and:

(Red like that means it's a known to-be-blocked domain.)

Try blocking that domain?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I know these sites aren't doing IP blocking, because I CAN clear it by manually opening DevTools and clicking Application Tab -> Application sidebar -> Clear storage -> Clear site data and then trying the link again. Works every time.

But that's prohibitively slow to do in between each page view.

Doesn't help that Glassdoor intentionally paginates everything to maximize how often you need to change pages.

Tesseraction posted:

Try blocking that domain?

Thanks, can you explain where to do that for a dumb?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Here's Quora's popup:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

If I were to retrofit an old Mini Maglite flashlight (the two-AA-battery kind) to LED, can anyone recommend a decent upgrade kit? Amazon has a bunch of them but I don't know which ones would still be considered reasonably-okay in the year 2020 and which are nasty early-generation new-old-stock from 2002.

Yes, it'd be far more practical to just get any new modern flashlight. I already have some. But this one was a gift from my late grandmother, it's bright C-3PO gold colored, I used it all the time when I was a kid, and I just ran across it again in a box of old stuff. I'd like to upgrade it to modern tech and start using it again. (Its incandescent bulb is broken anyway, which is why it ended up in the box in the first place.) While I don't expect it to become the greatest and brightest light I've ever had, I'd still like it to be a step or two above total crap, if possible.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

dirby posted:

I was afraid of this, but I assume the Chessex thread was spirited away by an admin at the OP's request?

Grand Fromage posted:

That said, if you google 'chessex something awful', click the dropdown and click cached, you can still view the thread, or at least the first page. Not sure how long until that goes away or if you admins can request for it to be removed.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Thanks, can you explain where to do that for a dumb?

What ad blocker are you using? Assuming it's adblock compatible it should be:

code:
||log.quora.com
added to your manual filters.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ambaire posted:

That said, if you google 'chessex something awful', click the dropdown and click cached, you can still view the thread, or at least the first page. Not sure how long until that goes away or if you admins can request for it to be removed.

That appears to be an archive created by Google so there's nothing we can do about it. If I'm wrong about that someone let me know and I'll investigate further.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

That appears to be an archive created by Google so there's nothing we can do about it. If I'm wrong about that someone let me know and I'll investigate further.

You can request removal - especially for reasons like this https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/6349986?hl=en

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

You can request removal - especially for reasons like this https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/6349986?hl=en

Ah neat. I have made the request, hopefully they'll actually do it. Thanks for finding this for me.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

No worries. Tis the thread for it!

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Grand Fromage posted:

Ah neat. I have made the request, hopefully they'll actually do it. Thanks for finding this for me.

You really should capture the posts from the guy who gets angry about the fairness of the dice.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Whenever drying clothes I always find certain areas of a sweater dry faster thant others, so the main body section and long parts of the arms dry out, but the collars, where the arms meet the body seem to stay wet longer so they have to go in the dryer again even though most of it is dry. There must be a better way to dry or some smart technique or something that means i don't have to dry sweaters for what seems like another drying session?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Try hanging them upside down?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

owlhawk911 posted:

"pan scrapers". they come free with fancy pans sometimes or you can buy them for like a dollar or two. barkeeper's friend suggestion works too, but i like not having to go through consumables and these guys cost less than a can of that stuff and will last years

A little late, but thanks for this, now I can indulge my ocd in the kitchen,

Shut up Meg posted:

Oh, it's nothing nasty.

What you should do is google your existing dice and see if they are some of the rare ones that people will pay stupid money for.

Sadly, no. Tangentially, its surprisingly hard to 3d print loaded dice.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is there a neat contained thread for "My life's a loving mess and I need to sort myself out, how do?" Or are ugly things like that to be taken elsewhere?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Is there a neat contained thread for "My life's a loving mess and I need to sort myself out, how do?" Or are ugly things like that to be taken elsewhere?

I believe that's what E/N is for.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Thanks homie!

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Is there a term for the phenomenon that happens when you're texting someone and the conversation splits into two threads?

Like, you send a text replying to A, but the other person was already typing up B and sends it before they have a chance to read what you said. So then you respond to B while they respond to your original reply, and now you've got two conversations going with one person at the same time.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
I have clandestine wildlife visiting my back garden at night, but I have not been able to get a sight of who/what is back there, and there's no spoor to be found. (The area has some fairly lush groundcover.)

It is rather important that I understand what's visiting - not to stop them, which I can't and don't want to do, but to understand the ramifications. Is there a decent low-light or nightvision video rig that I could set up without having to spend five figures on it?

(If there's a better thread to ask this in, just let me know.)

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

TofuDiva posted:

I have clandestine wildlife visiting my back garden at night, but I have not been able to get a sight of who/what is back there, and there's no spoor to be found. (The area has some fairly lush groundcover.)

It is rather important that I understand what's visiting - not to stop them, which I can't and don't want to do, but to understand the ramifications. Is there a decent low-light or nightvision video rig that I could set up without having to spend five figures on it?

(If there's a better thread to ask this in, just let me know.)

it's called a game/trail camera, they are designed for exactly this purpose. here's one for $40 on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Victure-Activated-Upgraded-Waterproof-Surveillance/dp/B07K53KL1G/

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

owlhawk911 posted:

it's called a game/trail camera, they are designed for exactly this purpose. here's one for $40 on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Victure-Activated-Upgraded-Waterproof-Surveillance/dp/B07K53KL1G/

That sounds perfect! Thanks! It helps to have the name for this kind of camera. I can't wait to figure out what/who the heck is meandering around back there.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

TofuDiva posted:

That sounds perfect! Thanks! It helps to have the name for this kind of camera. I can't wait to figure out what/who the heck is meandering around back there.

Do report back.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Do report back.

Will do!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I have an iPhone 7 and I'm going to switch to an 11 this weekend. I have 2FA using Authenticator on my phone for a few accounts. If I load my backup onto the new phone when I get home, will Authenticator just work as normal, or will it be blank? If the latter, should I just turn off the 2FA on everything right before I go get the phone?

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Do different sodas have different amounts of carbonation? Is it standardized?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Maha posted:

Do different sodas have different amounts of carbonation?

Based entirely on personal experience, I would say definitely. There's a noticeable difference between brands.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If I buy 4 castor wheels with a max load weight of 140kg each, does this mean whatever is on top of it (for example, 80kg of wood) will be split equally among all four wheels (so 20kg to each wheel), assuming the thing I'm building is symmetrical? I'm thinking of building a movable trolley for the kitchen to store large stuff on that can be wheeled in and out of the way, as well as using it as a personal bread baking space. Just trying to buy wheels that suit the job and aren't overly expensive, and realistically speaking, I'd never have anywhere close to 140kg in material / items on the table.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Yes and no. Obviously if you load one side of the trolley that side will experience a higher "force" but in essence if the mass is centered and/or equally distributed it should be evenly split between all the wheels.

Also do you mean each wheel by itself can hold 140kg each so the capacity of the trolley would be 4x140kg (560 kg) because it can withstand a down force of 140 kg on each wheel (plus a safety factor).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Yeah I wouldn't put everything on one side. And the castor wheels are available on Amazon and it comes as a single piece, so I'd assume each wheel can hold up to 140kg. I'm taking measurements and was going to build something to suit what we need, I just don't want to drop big bucks on something that is total overkill. 560kg is ridiculous weight for a diddly movable countertop that will have a few kitchen gadgets on it, so thanks to your reply I know I can safely go way below that.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Maha posted:

Do different sodas have different amounts of carbonation? Is it standardized?

According to this article:

quote:

Different kinds of soda also have varying carbonation levels. Coca-Cola is slightly more carbonated than its diet counterpart. Ginger ale has almost twice the carbonation of most colas.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2009/07/why-does-the-carbonation-taste-different-in-bottles-and-cans-of-soda.html

It's a pretty interesting quick read, actually. I had no idea that CO2 could leech out of plastic, or that it can dissolve its own can if left warm. So it's not all in my head that soda in glass bottles tastes the best!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

JacquelineDempsey posted:

According to this article:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2009/07/why-does-the-carbonation-taste-different-in-bottles-and-cans-of-soda.html

It's a pretty interesting quick read, actually. I had no idea that CO2 could leech out of plastic, or that it can dissolve its own can if left warm. So it's not all in my head that soda in glass bottles tastes the best!

also most of the glass bottle sodas are real sugar variants instead of corn syrup, they taste a little different but the texture is the big thing for me. regular soda i can feel coating my mouth/throat and i do not like that