Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
reminds me of that old dave mustaine quote about soloing being the equivalent of drilling a hole in the back of your guitar, sticking your dick in, then jerking off until you cum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Muppets On PCP posted:

reminds me of that old dave mustaine quote about soloing being the equivalent of drilling a hole in the back of your guitar, sticking your dick in, then jerking off until you cum

Dave Mustaine rules

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, Dave Mustaine was like the Noel Gallagher before Noel Gallagher became who he is now.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This would be more impressive than most solos.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wark Say posted:

Eh, Dave Mustaine was like the Noel Gallagher before Noel Gallagher became who he is now.

Without being a racist christian fundamentalist chud Qanon weirdo, sure.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Like I knew he's a born-again Christian and poo poo, but really? Oh my god what a loving letdown.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Sporadic imgur browsing find of the day.

Somebody spent time and effort making this dumb thing.

I like how it's sex/gender non-specific.

That's about all I can find to like.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wark Say posted:

Like I knew he's a born-again Christian and poo poo, but really? Oh my god what a loving letdown.

if you pretend his last album was about trump instead of obama it becomes eerily prophetic

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Why did it have to be me that removed the scales from Wark Say's eyes. :qq:

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I am something of an rear end man myself.

Speaking of which:

Lol SG neck dive. I mean, it's "fixed" now and feels nice and balanced. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

thumbnail looks like one of those anomalous bodily growths that turns out to be full of teeth and hair

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Concatenation posted:

thumbnail looks like one of those anomalous bodily growths that turns out to be full of teeth and hair

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Krust would be the finest guitar sticker.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1215416357468008448

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Wark Say posted:

dudes even been on infowars. really depressing seeing alot of my favorite music people develop brainworms.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Buy one dick hole get another one free.

(I actually like the dumb handle on my JEM.)

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Lol SG neck dive. I mean, it's "fixed" now and feels nice and balanced. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Whatever works my man. Seems like you've solved the problem and I'm inclined to do that to my SG copy.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
  • Like I knew even back in the 90's on my wee young years that he was an rear end in a top hat and a huge control freak, but Billy Corgan turning chud was a loving disappointment.
  • Learning that James, Kirk and Lars had hazed Jason Newsted for a long-rear end time and then kinda held him at-sorta-arms-length for the rest of his tenure in Metallica was pretty loving disappointing back in the early 00's.
  • Steve Souza turning out to be a Trump-stan was heartbreaking.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

So the best thing about the JEM (monkey grip) was removed for whatever the hell that new even-more-tacky-but-less-funny thing is, and the pickups look like skeleton watches now. I was wondering how they could make that guitar even more tasteless and boy howdy did they not disappoint. Even the colors are awful. They're somehow both too loud and dingy at the same time. The bottom two colors are particularly bad. Pea Soup Puke Green and Congealed Piss On The Toilet Seat Yellow.

It's almost impressive.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 10, 2020

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Honestly if those weren't in an Ibanez catalogue and I hadn't seen them on the Jemsite Facebook page, I'd have thought they were knock-offs being sold on ali express.

e: They didn't even change the colour of the Ibanez logo on the SDG model so now it blends in with the headstock finish!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You guys... the nanolog thing is worth talking about because it's a combination of a legit-ish product and a TON of stupid music bullshit.

Here's what it is: You know that "clipping" selector on some distortion pedals like deluxe Rats and stuff? Those are clipping diodes... they make distortion. Different kinds sound different. The Nanolog thing are a new "kind" of diode material being used (as opposed to silicon or germanium) so they do sound different. The Quantum Physics™ angle is funny as poo poo, though. There's a few pedals on the market that use them, it's a slightly different shade of distortion. It's fun I guess? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh and regular diodes cost like 5 cents and a pair of these diodes will set you back like $75.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 10, 2020

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

GreatGreen posted:

So the best thing about the JEM (monkey grip) was removed for whatever the hell that new even-more-tacky-but-less-funny thing is, and the pickups look like skeleton watches now.

Steve Vai's all in on the overly-fancy-pickup-covers fad, for some reason. I guess nobody told him that only a turbo dork even has pickup covers in the first place.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Anime Reference posted:

Steve Vai's all in on the overly-fancy-pickup-covers fad, for some reason. I guess nobody told him that only a turbo dork even has pickup covers in the first place.

i mean, steve vai is pretty much a turbo dork going mach 8, so

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

You guys... the nanolog thing is worth talking about because it's a combination of a legit-ish product and a TON of stupid music bullshit.

Here's what it is: You know that "clipping" selector on some distortion pedals like deluxe Rats and stuff? Those are clipping diodes... they make distortion. Different kinds sound different. The Nanolog thing are a new "kind" of diode material being used (as opposed to silicon or germanium) so they do sound different. The Quantum Physics™ angle is funny as poo poo, though. There's a few pedals on the market that use them, it's a slightly different shade of distortion. It's fun I guess? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh and regular diodes cost like 5 cents and a pair of these diodes will set you back like $75.

I mean, anything made up of matter technically employs quantum physics in order to exist, so they're *technically* not wrong that theirs does to.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's pretty stupid that one of the greatest drummers of all time just died.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mister Speaker posted:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Mister Speaker posted:

Was it spontaneous human combustion?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Some quick Wikipediaing suggests that they've been making quantum tunnelling diodes since the 50s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunnelling
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_diode

It doesn't sound like there are really any benefits to sound quality, and a lot of fiddliness (like being prone to die if you put more than a few millamps and/or get a soldering iron anywhere near them). Although, as you say, it probably gives a subtly different kind of distortion.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

brb buying these up and reselling them at 10x the price as "tone weights"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lead out in cuffs posted:

brain cancer

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn4IprJww8w

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sometimes... sometimes I forget how weird that show was.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Some quick Wikipediaing suggests that they've been making quantum tunnelling diodes since the 50s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunnelling
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_diode

It doesn't sound like there are really any benefits to sound quality, and a lot of fiddliness (like being prone to die if you put more than a few millamps and/or get a soldering iron anywhere near them). Although, as you say, it probably gives a subtly different kind of distortion.

They have a measurably (quantifiably so? Lol) different I-V curve and a different knee to other types of diodes so they do sound different. Whether it’s enough to give a poo poo about I remain skeptical.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

rickiep00h posted:

Sometimes... sometimes I forget how weird that show was.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
R.I.P. Neal Peart. :(

I'm also disappointed in those new JEMs, I am not at all sure what is supposed to be going on there.

Except for this:

Dewgy posted:

i mean, steve vai is pretty much a turbo dork going mach 8, so

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

if you pretend his last album was about trump instead of obama it becomes eerily prophetic

But Megadeth's last album was Rust in Peace, just before they broke up and remained glorious for all time. Just like Metallica after ..And Justice For All. Not sure what kind of hellworld you live in; did you guys get a second Highlander movie too? lol

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Clayton Bigsby posted:

But Megadeth's last album was Rust in Peace, just before they broke up and remained glorious for all time. Just like Metallica after ..And Justice For All. Not sure what kind of hellworld you live in; did you guys get a second Highlander movie too? lol

And those first two seasons of Dexter were excellent. Glad they quit while they were ahead.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IInvFjUxDWE

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
don't think this got posted yet. enjoy learning something new

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wts2Mw6Nb5s

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

"Learning" is a pretty generous assumption.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I've seen a lot of Holdsworth lessons over the years and never understood a lick of any of them. Dude just doesn't see music the way anybody else does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
He's not making any particularly grand points in that video. The first three scales should be familiar to anyone that's gotten involved with classical harmony. Scale 1 is referring to all available pitches in the C major scale, everywhere on the neck. The 2nd scale is referred to in common parlance as D melodic minor. The 3rd scale is A harmonic minor. The 4th scale, madly named A minor #7#4, is the 5th mode of E harmonic major - which is a normal major scale, but with a b6 - so the bottom half is a typical major scale, and the top half is from the parallel (same root) harmonic minor scale - EF#G#ABCD#E. The chords he then demonstrates are triads created from the resulting hosed up intervals. Scale 5 is often called the whole-half diminished scale, or altered dominant scale, which is one of the most rocking things you can play over a dominant 7 chord - he makes reference to using it with altered dominant chords, which is exactly how a traditional bebop player would do it.

Scale 6 is a major bebop scale. Scale 7 is another form of bebop scale often used over dominant chords. Scale 8 is a minor bebop scale. Bebop scales can be created with any normal major or minor scale by adding an additional half step between any of the whole steps in the scale. This serves to pad out out the rhythm of a scale when played from a chord tone, so that successive chord tones will remain on the beat rather that off the beat.

Scale 10 is... the upper half of a few different bebop scales generated using symmetrical intervals???? :stare: