Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
None of the sequels are really put together in the same way as the first book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I was specifically told to never read anything other than the original novel :confused:

Dune and Dune Messiah are the original novel. It's a trilogy of two-volume works.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Read them all. What else ya gonna do? Live a full and happy life that doesn't involve obsessively reading everything Frank ever wrote and compulsively picking up multiple copies of everything at used book stores?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Dune is the best book in the series by a gigantic, insurmountable margin. But if you want to read more you should at least read to God Emperor IMO

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Doc Hawkins posted:

Dune and Dune Messiah are the original novel. It's a trilogy of two-volume works.

This. Messiah is the end of Paul's story.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

I fully get it.
\
:smith:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Heather Papps posted:

Read them all. What else ya gonna do? Live a full and happy life that doesn't involve obsessively reading everything Frank ever wrote and compulsively picking up multiple copies of everything at used book stores?

I'm halfway through Dosadi Experiment. Seeing some themes shared with Dune. It's very much an old school science fiction story with lots of people talking in rooms, with Herbert's wheels-within-wheels on top of that. It's better than Whipping Star.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

I dug the santaroga barrier quite a bit.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Heather Papps posted:

I dug the santaroga barrier quite a bit.

That's next in the 4-novel omnibus I'm reading! I forget what the fourth one is...

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
For real: Hellstrom's Hive.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
I just finished Hellstrom's Hive. It reads like old school pulp mixed with some of Frank's iconoclastic elements. It's a breezier read.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

How action-heavy could a film of only the first half of Dune possibly be? At a stretch, there's Paul's training scenes, the pacification of Harkonnen suicide squads, the actual invasion of Arrakeen, Paul and Jessica's escape and Duncan's death, the fight with Jamis, miscellaneous off-screen Fremen/Harkonnen conflict...? What am I missing?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

quote:

Legendary CEO Joshua Grode, when they asked if Dune would be two movies. “There’s a backstory that was hinted at in some of the books [that we expanded]. Also, when you read the book there’s a logical place to stop the movie before the book is over.”

Take it as you will

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I was specifically told to never read anything other than the original novel :confused:

U can safely read through God Emperor.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They could do Fremen raids on Harkonnen forces to establish the fremen characters early I guess.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Duke Paulus fights the bull

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

At this point they might be bullshitting. (no pun intended)

Duncan Idaho's last stand, depending on how far into it they stop?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Def be Mamoa battle scenes.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Don’t forget the introduction of sand worms with the mining operation. Or was that only in the movie? It’s been so long since I’ve read Dune.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s a famous book scene with Duke leto and Liet Kynes yeah

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Philthy posted:

You are out of your drat mind.
I just don't think that the unimaginable opulence of space feudalism, let alone the psychopathic decadence of the Harkonnens, is well-conveyed by having everyone wear a rubber trenchcoat. The miniseries didn't have a lot to work with, but the costumes tell you who the characters are. Everyone in Lynch Dune wears a military uniform or some kind of black shiny spacesuit.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Halloween Jack posted:

I just don't think that the unimaginable opulence of space feudalism, let alone the psychopathic decadence of the Harkonnens, is well-conveyed by having everyone wear a rubber trenchcoat. The miniseries didn't have a lot to work with, but the costumes tell you who the characters are. Everyone in Lynch Dune wears a military uniform or some kind of black shiny spacesuit.

Jordorowsky's various designs would have nailed what you were expecting I'd wager:

I still love the Lynch stillsuites though if only for the fact that someone took the time to logic out the form/functionality into something that felt believable. Thigh puches that compressed when your thighs rubbed together for recycled fluid motive action and that sort of thing.

DandyLion fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 10, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Absolutely.

Bob Ringwood's stillsuits are unimpeachable, but the fact that 3/4 of the cast is also wearing some kind of black rubber costume detracts from them.

Also, here's hoping the Sardaukar don't look like mecha anime. I wish people would stop illustrating them in power armor.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 10, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

(They should look like harkonnen troops).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Halloween Jack posted:

The nobility and their retainers wear military uniforms because that’s who they are. They’re warlords who head private armies. Sting in a chrome speedo captures the character of the Harkonnens perfectly imo.

I’m not gonna knock on the miniseries’ costuming because it’s probably the best thing about it, but I think you’re being seriously unjust to Lynch Dune. The women’s costumes are particularly awesome — Mohiam’s weird headdress and mesh gauntlet, Irulan’s golden dresses and enormous collars and veils, Jessica’s gigantic umbrella/hood on Caladan.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

lmao why is gurney a dwarf/duncan 12ft tall?

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I get serious ThunderCats vibes from that Jordorowsky concept art.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Time Cowboy posted:

I get serious ThunderCats vibes from that Jordorowsky concept art.

Yeah its mostly the Lion-O lookalike I think:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Both thunder cats and He-Man are canonically in the Dune universe.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

euphronius posted:

Both thunder cats and He-Man are canonically in the Dune universe.

There's absolutely nothing in the canon to disprove it.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Vlex posted:

How action-heavy could a film of only the first half of Dune possibly be? At a stretch, there's Paul's training scenes, the pacification of Harkonnen suicide squads, the actual invasion of Arrakeen, Paul and Jessica's escape and Duncan's death, the fight with Jamis, miscellaneous off-screen Fremen/Harkonnen conflict...? What am I missing?

That seems like a lot of action to me?

Maybe they'll do a flashback sequence at the start like in LotR showing the Butlerian Jihad

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Would be cool if the opening scene of the movie is of spice harvesters on Arrakis going about their business and then get attacked by a massive sandworm and Harkonnens going apeshit about another lost spice haul over the radio and the camera pans over to a group of Fremen in stillsuits and robes standing on the precipice of a sand dune watching silently while one recites the "Bless the Maker and His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him..." prayer.

DUNE

Next scene is on Caladan introducing Paul training and doing the box test, etc. etc. just like the Lynch movie and book begin.

WarMECH fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 10, 2020

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

That's next in the 4-novel omnibus I'm reading! I forget what the fourth one is...

The book is Whipping Star, Dosadi Experiment, Santaroga Barrier, and Soul Catcher, which means...

phasmid posted:

For real: Hellstrom's Hive.

I guess I'll have to get this one separately.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

skasion posted:

The nobility and their retainers wear military uniforms because that’s who they are. They’re warlords who head private armies. Sting in a chrome speedo captures the character of the Harkonnens perfectly imo.
Oh no, I think the uniforms were something the film did very well--you can immediately see the difference between the Corrino Sardaukar uniforms and the Atreides uniforms. I think the TV version made a mistake by draping the Emperor in purple gowns, and one of the things I don't like about the Jodorowsky concept art is that Duke Leto and Emperor Corrino look like Yoshitaka Amano concepts for a Final Fantasy game--that's Feyd's job! The Leto one looks like something appropriate for Gurney falling in with the smugglers.

It's just that a lot of costumes that aren't military uniforms are, hmm, something made of black plastic, and/or maybe we'll shave their heads?

quote:

The women’s costumes are particularly awesome — Mohiam’s weird headdress and mesh gauntlet, Irulan’s golden dresses and enormous collars and veils, Jessica’s gigantic umbrella/hood on Caladan.
They are. But strangely, this is exactly why casual viewers disliked the TV costumes. They wanted them to look "modern" and they hated the hats and headdresses in particular. (It gets on my nerves how no one in period pieces wears hats or helmets.)

To sum up, both versions have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm less impressed by what Lynch's team did with $45 million than I am with what Harrison's team did with the change under SyFy's couch cushions.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 10, 2020

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

I have a half memory of catching the last 20 minutes of the lynch movie in the middle of the night as a child.
Later I read the book, then much later watched the film. It was an extremely surreal experience, especially when i realized this ethereal memory wasn't a dream, but a real thing that happened.

As such i have great fondness for the film.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
These costumes are great! (so is the theme)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjJPjAkLXS8

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
To this day it is the Lynch movie stillsuits I picture whilst reading DUNE. They are perfect. :allears:

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Everyone's sad about jodorowski but I'm sad lynch couldn't do his thing

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
frankly anyone questioning costuming in ANY lynch project is no friend of mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend