Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

stev posted:

There's a difference between your average internet dweller/goon and your average Netflix binger though. I know people who gave up after the first two episodes because it was basically nonsensical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
I'm glad it has at least second season, it ended well, but those first 2 eps were a slog.

Proteus Jones posted:

What I find funny is that a lot of "people won't understand all the time-jumps" are almost invariably book readers, and the people who say "nah, I figured it out pretty quick" are not.

If you weren't familiar with the stories from the books the time and space jumps might not be as jarring because you likely didn't realize this was even happening until midway through(when you see foltest as a child), at which point the show had gotten good enough not to care.

It made the Last Wish somewhat worse in terms of building both Geralt and his relationship to Yen too. Geralt figures out Yen was a hunchback here in the story, which happens here, but not as obviously. In the books we learn this at the same time, but we already know this here because we had to have magic academy that barely explains[and somewhat changes] how magic in the witcher works and merely hints at the conjunction of the spheres with the elf skull scene.

itry posted:

The series has already been picked up for another season, and the third season is rumoured to be greenlit. I'm hopeful we'll get at least 5 seasons.

Netflix is brutal about cutting shows after 2-3 unless they hit prestige level. This doesn't feel like it hit that, and if they're planning on 7-8 and get 3 the whole thing is going to wind up as kind of a mess.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Buffer posted:

Netflix is brutal about cutting shows after 2-3 unless they hit prestige level. This doesn't feel like it hit that, and if they're planning on 7-8 and get 3 the whole thing is going to wind up as kind of a mess.

This is what I'm worried about. Netflix is pretty easygoing about renewing sitcoms, comedies and animation, but otherwise the only two shows that they've ever given more than three seasons are House of Cards and OITNB. The first two shows they ever produced.

They've now renewed Stranger Things, The Crown and 13 Reasons Why for fourth seasons, so they might be getting a bit more generous - or they might be replacing their previous big hitters.

Basically it'll take a miracle for this thing to get more than four seasons.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

stev posted:

They've now renewed Stranger Things, The Crown and 13 Reasons Why for fourth seasons, so they might be getting a bit more generous - or they might be replacing their previous big hitters.

Maybe they're changing their strategies.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Buffer posted:

Netflix is brutal about cutting shows after 2-3 unless they hit prestige level. This doesn't feel like it hit that

I feel like I've seen nothing but "The Witcher is a big rear end hit" all over the internet. Of course, that doesn't mean people will tune in to Season 2 - especially given that it's not going to be out until 2021.

I still firmly think various content creators are going to be fairly committed to finding their "Grimdark, high fantasy GOT Replacement" for the next few years and won't axe anything before giving it at least 2 seasons though.

Then in a few years we can all complain about how sick and tired of fantasy we are once it becomes overdone like zombies in the past decade.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
People probably will watch more of this show.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I know that the point of the forums is to argue about stuff but the past 5 pages being two types of arguments:

1. Broken brain person doesn’t understand the show and people write paragraphs trying to explain the very obvious, ham fisted themes of the show to them

2. Books/games people don’t like how the show did justice to the books/games but mostly it’s an excuse to mention how things are more nuanced in the source material (no poo poo)

Is pretty annoying and it was better when it was just toss a coin to your Witcher memes. The show kind of sucks, but it’s bingeable, sort of endearing, and the best bits get close to the brilliance of the source material. That’s way better than 95% of fantasy television.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
^ yeah it's solid television to watch on netflix.
They managed to make all the MCs likeable and interesting. You want to see the heroes grow and interact, which to me is what makes or breaks this series.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

straight up brolic posted:

Is pretty annoying and it was better when it was just toss a coin to your Witcher memes.

Reddit exists :shrug:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I know that the point of the forums is to argue about stuff but the past 5 pages being two types of arguments:

1. Broken brain person doesn’t understand the show and people write paragraphs trying to explain the very obvious, ham fisted themes of the show to them

2. Books/games people don’t like how the show did justice to the books/games but mostly it’s an excuse to mention how things are more nuanced in the source material (no poo poo)

Is pretty annoying and it was better when it was just toss a coin to your Witcher memes. The show kind of sucks, but it’s bingeable, sort of endearing, and the best bits get close to the brilliance of the source material. That’s way better than 95% of fantasy television.

im tellin ya the Javier clips edited to Dayman is going to be gold!! im just lazy and want someone else to do it

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

give geralt a beard next season netflix cowards

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

they should cgi a beard onto his face

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They should cgi his horse onto a roof in distant backgrounds.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Never played any of the games or read any of the books:

The actual surgery was gratuitous and unnecessary, but the whole infertility thing was directly explained in a way I haven't seen anyone post about yet... The rectoress tells her there is a price, and when the dude is talking to Yennifer about it he tells her she is going to be reborn, but that like all magic she must give something in return. She pays for her second birth by losing her ability to ever have her own kids. The entire transformation sequence is shot exactly like a childbirth scene and is even juxtaposed with the Striga ALSO being reborn as a normal human child, including ending with Yen in the fetal position on the floor covered in afterbirth. Rebirth at the price of birth.

Also to all the people complaining about the multiple timelines, were you also confused by The Notebook?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've never seen the Note Book

https://twitter.com/nerdist/status/1215718413986779136

The public rehabilitation of Henry Cavill into Extremely Cool Guy has been enjoyable to watch. I think he got an undeservedly bad rap from the DCCU stuff. I would like him to be my slightly less charming, slightly less good looking friend.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The different timelines were very cool and it was a cool revelation that these stories are happening at different times.

If I can get my wife who absolutely abhors video game stuff (minus Mario Kart) into this high fantasy show - then it works for everyone.

E: No one gave Cavill poo poo for Superman aside from hardcore loving losers. He's one of the best ever.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Steven Colbert made a joke about the Witcher show on The Late Show, which I think is a pretty good indicator that it's gone mainstream.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Buffer posted:

It made the Last Wish somewhat worse in terms of building both Geralt and his relationship to Yen too. Geralt figures out Yen was a hunchback here in the story, which happens here, but not as obviously. In the books we learn this at the same time, but we already know this here because we had to have magic academy that barely explains[and somewhat changes] how magic in the witcher works and merely hints at the conjunction of the spheres with the elf skull scene.

Can you explain more about this, i played Witcher 3 but don't know much about how magic works or what went down at the conjunction besides humans pushing everyone's poo poo in

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Can you explain more about this, i played Witcher 3 but don't know much about how magic works or what went down at the conjunction besides humans pushing everyone's poo poo in

Magic in the Witcher universe seems to be somewhat linked to astrology. The Conjuction of the Spheres was a moment where whatever stars/planets/dimensions/galaxies were perfectly aligned such that monsters/creatures/chaos/magic spilled into this reality with the portals closing behind them. Iirc, I think it was just elves before the conjunction. Humans, dwarves, monsters, all that stuff came in after.

Which brings me to another point, we sort of see this with the children of the eclipse as well. We know that astrological events allows chaos to leak between dimensions, hence why some of the kids born under the black sun such as Renfri were mutants with powers.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Ciri’s story isn’t linear though only part of it is.

The hosed up family story starts with the last wish and then proceeds from there.

pile of brown posted:

Never played any of the games or read any of the books:

The actual surgery was gratuitous and unnecessary, but the whole infertility thing was directly explained in a way I haven't seen anyone post about yet... The rectoress tells her there is a price, and when the dude is talking to Yennifer about it he tells her she is going to be reborn, but that like all magic she must give something in return. She pays for her second birth by losing her ability to ever have her own kids. The entire transformation sequence is shot exactly like a childbirth scene and is even juxtaposed with the Striga ALSO being reborn as a normal human child, including ending with Yen in the fetal position on the floor covered in afterbirth. Rebirth at the price of birth.

That’s not how it works in that universe. They altered it. Magic in the books and games is basically chaos radiation - you’re sterile because you are a conduit of it - whether you get yourself all enchanted up or not. This is important because that’s part of why mages can’t just take over countries in spite of being able to lay waste to armies. No heirs means they shadow power behind the throne instead. In this world just don’t get enchanted, no problem.

There’s also no balance nonsense - you’re channeling radiation and it takes a lot out of you to do that and there are some tricks you can use to mitigate that.

This version is worse and mostly seems to be done so yen is a primary character you might have some sympathy for. But yen is awful - and all the ways she is awful are still present. It’s also a completely unnecessary waste of time at that point in the show and it was done better and with more subtlety in every other iteration. gently caress if you just move it to *after* the last wish it works better - because then you’re exploring a mystery as to why yen would do that.

If they had used that to better set up the world I might feel differently. There’s all this subtlety in exploring that and none at all in other places.

pile of brown posted:

Also to all the people complaining about the multiple timelines, were you also confused by The Notebook?

I wasn’t confused(it wasn’t too smart for me mr brain genius) I just thought it was a poo poo decision that made a worse show, added nothing, and came at the expense of world building. It confused the gently caress out of the person I was watching it with for a few seconds when the time space fuckery became apparent but we were invested so powered through.

It’s just a narratively poor choice in my opinion and it diminished the show. The rest of the collab fortunately made up for those poor producer / show runner decisions in the end.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Geralt has keen senses and more than a few preconceptions about sorceresses when he first meets Yen in the books. He knows that Sorceresses use magic to sort out their deformities so he analyzes her in the book to try and figure out what work she had done. His thoughts are that you can always tell a sorceress because all of the beauty magic in the world cannot hide the cold, resentful eyes of ugly girls. He doesn't say any of this outright, but Yennefer is a mind reader so she gets his thoughts anyways.

Did I also mention he is projecting hard in this scene to justify disliking Yennefer by typecasting her as a typical cold bitch sorceress so he can cover up his infatuation for her?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/banalplay/status/1215754169694523394

:hmmyes:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mz88TYuBn4

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

My favourite episode, looking back, was probably the one where Geralt invokes the law of surprise because it is almost a full episode of buildup to him exclaiming "gently caress" and then just....awkwardly leaving the room.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

evilmiera posted:

My favourite episode, looking back, was probably the one where Geralt invokes the law of surprise because it is almost a full episode of buildup to him exclaiming "gently caress" and then just....awkwardly leaving the room.

Really that’s peak Witcher story right there

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Is pretty annoying and it was better when it was just toss a coin to your Witcher memes.

Sab669 posted:

Reddit exists :shrug:
Also the GBS thread.

People constantly posting book spoilers is more annoying than the ones who don't understand.

Buffer posted:

Ciri's story isn't linear though only part of it is.
The hosed up family story starts with the last wish and then proceeds from there.
Which part isn't linear? By the last wish I assume you mean episode 5- she's in the forest for a bit, then leaves with Mousesack. After that she runs away from the mimic and ends up in a town. Ends up stealing horses and a nice lady takes her home. I can't think of a bit where she jumped back or forwards in her storyline?

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Noslo posted:

Magic in the Witcher universe seems to be somewhat linked to astrology. The Conjuction of the Spheres was a moment where whatever stars/planets/dimensions/galaxies were perfectly aligned such that monsters/creatures/chaos/magic spilled into this reality with the portals closing behind them. Iirc, I think it was just elves before the conjunction. Humans, dwarves, monsters, all that stuff came in after.

Gnomes (and likely some other races like Werebbubbs and Vrans - now near extinct) were first, then the Dwarves. Elves came some time later and humans were the last. First contact between humans and elves was rather peaceful, with quite a lot of interbreeding (which the North outlawed only some 50 years before the books take place).

I really hope we get to hear Yarpen's speech on race relations from the Blood of Elves in the show. And that it's delivered by Yarpen's actor from S1

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Berke Negri posted:

Geralt hates beards and this is canon unfortunately.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

How about Cavill shaving with a dagger, then?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

esperterra posted:

Geralt hates beards and this is canon unfortunately.

No it isn't, I've read the books.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

VanSandman posted:

No it isn't, I've read the books.

Sadly, it is. See: when he is recouping in Brokilon from his hosed up knee, he complains about the itching and the first thing he does when Dandelion shows up is get a drat razor off him so he can shave it all off.

In TW3 I also recall some dialogue from Yen about how surprised she is to see him with a beard and how she likes it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

esperterra posted:

Sadly, it is. See: when he is recouping in Brokilon from his hosed up knee, he complains about the itching and the first thing he does when Dandelion shows up is get a drat razor off him so he can shave it all off.

In TW3 I also recall some dialogue from Yen about how surprised she is to see him with a beard and how she likes it.

I guess dying changes your opinions on some things

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

hobbesmaster posted:

I guess dying changes your opinions on some things

Possibly. Though he remained clean shaven through TW1 and TW2 ... :thunk:

I think CDPR just wanted to play with dynamic hair growth lmao

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I reckon this probably has already been talked about in the thread, but the Nilfgardians' armour & weapons were ridiculous. It would have been fine as the evil horde's armour in a 80s fantasy flick à la Conan the Barbarian. But in a 2020 show that actually has practical looking armour & weapons in it, it was just silly. I almost giggled whenever they showed up.

The non-linear story with multiple threads was an odd choice. It not was impossible to follow and place events without knowledge of the books. But I did watch 1 to 2 episodes per evening. If it was a weekly show, I think I would have gotten lost and get annoyed with it.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 11, 2020

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Noslo posted:

Which brings me to another point, we sort of see this with the children of the eclipse as well. We know that astrological events allows chaos to leak between dimensions, hence why some of the kids born under the black sun such as Renfri were mutants with powers.

Dwarves were in this part of the world before the elves arrived in the white ships, and technically the gnomes were there before the dwarves.

From The Blood of Elves

"Elves!" snorted Yarpen. "They - to be accurate - happen to be strangers just as much as you humans, although they arrived in their white ships a good thousand years before you. Now they're competing with each other to offer us friendship, suddenly were all brothers, now they're grinning and saying 'we, kinsmen'', ''we, the Elder Races'. But before, shi-Hm, hm...Before their arrows used to whistle past our ears when we-

''So the first on Earth were dwarves?"
"Gnomes, to be honest. As far as this part of the world is concerned - because the world is unimaginably huge, Ciri.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I liked the Conan movie.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Maybe you should mark that spoiler hobbesmaster.

Buffer
May 6, 2007

Strong Convections posted:

Also the GBS thread.

People constantly posting book spoilers is more annoying than the ones who don't understand.

Which part isn't linear? By the last wish I assume you mean episode 5- she's in the forest for a bit, then leaves with Mousesack. After that she runs away from the mimic and ends up in a town. Ends up stealing horses and a nice lady takes her home. I can't think of a bit where she jumped back or forwards in her storyline?

The books are about Elric quality - if that makes you feel better.

The last wish is the djinn story. That is the first event in the chronology that brings them all together. Prior to this Geralt is Geralting around solo.

Geralt wishes to give Yen what she wants and that either creates or turbocharges the entire destiny bond between them - the fulfillment of which is Geralt “getting” Ciri via the law of surprise and creating their little dysfunctional family. This all gets alluded to but likely makes no sense yet because how would you puzzle that out with all that time/space fuckery.

The other starting point for Ciri is that scene, when her father, the hedgehog / king of nilfgard gives her up(e: this is a big spoiler from the books). And wayyy further back what the blood of elves even is and why that matters.

Instead we start with the sack of cintra - which is further ahead and then go linearly from there. The show ends with what the titular character was doing in the first episode and the entire story is disjointed as a result.

Buffer fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 11, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

I liked the Conan movie.

Geralt and Conan have lots in common, such as being conned by their employers or at the very least being left in the dark on the real nature of the new job.

It was pretty much a given that it would be a given hit based on the amount of video game sales for all three Witcher games. was around 40 million in June 2019.

etalian fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Buffer posted:

The last wish is the djinn story. [...] - the fulfillment of which is Geralt “getting” Ciri via the law of surprise [...]This all gets alluded to but likely makes no sense yet because how would you puzzle that out with all that time/space fuckery.
Geralt already has Ciri via the law of surprise by the djinn story - Jaskier mentions it at the start of the episode. That's in order as far as I could tell.
Unless you're saying that the wish resulted in some time shenanigans and the effect took place before the cause - but we don't know what the wish was and the show doesn't say it has anything to do with Ciri (did I miss that?)

Buffer posted:

Instead we start with [...] cintra which is further ahead and then go linearly from there. The show ends with what the titular character was doing in the first episode and the entire story is disjointed as a result.
I think I see what you're getting at. What people mean is that each of the three character's stories are linear within themselves.
We start in Cintra for Ciri and go linearly from there for her story.
We get a bit more context of what was going on in Cintra with the later episode in Geralt's storyline and what he was doing at the time, but it's not out of order for his storyline.