Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Archyduchess posted:

I think it was a cockatiel and his plan was to.... put old people in a basement...? He was also a clone of Thomas Edison for some reason.
Edison's old Menlo Park headquarters (and the Edison Museum which is up the Turnpike in South Orange because I guess that is where his earlier lab was?) loom/loomed relatively large in the "science class field trip" landscape of Northeast New Jersey where Ms. Marvel is set, and having a gatekeeping old white dude clone famous old white dude Thomas Edison as a nemesis for Kamala and her Jersey City Science Friends made sense to me. The parakeet and the plans and etc. far less so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Android Blues posted:

Single word epithets are iconic and compelling, but you hit a saturation point with them. It's difficult. There's pretty much zero distance conceptually between Aero and Magma, or Wave and Storm. Like, Cyclops, Vision, Magik, Angel, these would all be considered hackneyed and forgettable names on new characters, in part just because there are so many characters who have that sort of name in circulation already.

Same reason the industry moved away from Captain ___ and ___-Man in the late 60s.

There is also the popular version of [color] [thing]. Especially black.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah I've never really thought about it but Kamala's rogues gallery really is extremely dire. Her only recurring solo antagonist is, what, Lockdown? Kamran, who hasn't appeared again since Secret Wars?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

internet troll guy?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Diet Poison posted:

Also, Amulet? Ugh. Why do so many of Marvel's young-and-progressive-and-new set have the most generic-rear end names possible? It basically ensures they'll never really be A Thing. Wave, Aero, etc. The Inuk girl is Snowguard, right? That's alright. More like that, less nouns that can't be copyrighted. Course, running down the names of my favourite heroes, esp. mutants, maybe I'm just talking out of my rear end here. Especially thinking about how his powers could evolve to function like creatively-named mutant Armor except less cringy.

Other than the copyright angle I don't think there's any issue with the single-word or generic names, we're just biased towards the characters who we've been exposed to more. If I take a look at a list of old Kirby monsters like Trull, Goom, Spragg, and Groot there's nothing about any of them that sounds like it's going to take the world by storm but of course one of them is now a household name thanks to a successful movie.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Not to be The Person Who Points This Out Every Time, but you can 100% trademark common nouns for a certain class of products, which is why there are trademarks for household products called Tide and Bounty and Sprite and Glad and Hefty and etc. etc. etc. etc. You can't copyright anything besides "original works of authorship", which individual words or phrases are not.

At Marvel alone they currently have trademarks on common nouns including Thing, Storm, Wasp, Bullseye, Solo, Prowler, Lockjaw, Beast, Vision, Mosaic, Venom, Carnage, Kingpin, Mockingbird, Silk, Timely, Illuminati, Axis, Nova, Runaways, Defenders, Offenders, Avengers, Champions, Heralds, Exiles, Northstar, Atlas, Ares, Excalibur, Thor, Loki, Icon, Colossus, Sentinel, Destroyer, Dazzler, 'Nam, Falcon, Blade, Doom, Maverick, Rogue, Gambit, Excelsior, etc. etc. etc.

This means that you can't make a comic simply called "Robin" or "Thing" without violating those trademarks, and the same would (presumably) be true of any of the new ones, assuming they actually get a comic (even a one shot) named after them and Disney/Warner/etc. file the proper paperwork.

The trick is that to have a registered/protected trademark you have to demonstrate that you use it regularly, which is why you see a lot of those weird one-shots/minis featuring characters or teams that seem absolutely doomed to be canceled after five issues; it's because if there isn't evidence you're using it (to sell a product, not just inside a product) every 6-10 years it will lapse. This is why all of the members of the X-Men and Fantastic Four get (at least) a one-shot every few years, lest they lose the trademarks to any of those names. It's also why Marvel never bothered trying to register all that much for TV/Film until recently, because even if they did register Runaways as a television/film in 2003, they wouldn't have been able to support it within the deadline, assuming "Runaways" was even unclaimed for movies at the time (it wasn't), hence "Marvel's Runaways".

This works both ways, those trademarks for generic terms are limited, so that Marvel can own "Storm" but DC (or anyone) can put out a book called "The Wild Storm" or "Stormwatch" or "The Coming Storm" etc. so long as you know, you don't have the cover be a white haired African weather goddess. This even works for things like Terry Moore's Echo, which to differentiate it from the Marvel superhero Echo is called "Terry Moore's Echo".

I guess naming a character Amulet when that's already the name of a best-selling YA graphic novel series is probably keeping the character from ever achieving Spider-Man or even Static [Shock] status, but that has nothing to do with copyright.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yes it's less about the true copyright/trademark legality and more just the general idea of giving a character a name that is unique so that the word or phrase is undeniably a reference to that character and nothing else.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Archyduchess posted:

Anyway it looks like this guy's whole deal is based off the nazar, that really common blue-circle/eye/hand apotropaic motif. It's not a bad character design and I guess if you're going to use real-world belief-adjacent stuff for the grist of a superhero it's probably not any worse than any of the golems or archangels running around? But it's really not "Muslim" so much as "Middle Eastern," since its important to, say, Hindu communities in Southern Asia as well. The oldest examples of these things predate the origins of Islam by a pretty comfy margin going off the thin amount of research I just did and what I remember from college.

They're pretty common in parts of Europe too - I honestly always thought of them as a Greek thing.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Blockhouse posted:

are muslims known for being able to project force fields?

Only during Ramadan.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Wow, Black Cat #8 might be even better than the Annual. Phenomenal writing with Felicia's mother (unlike Iron Fist's usual problems: very relatable), gorgeous art from Wu, Ruan & Reber and the latest bit of B&E was great, especially with how the two scenes dovetailed. The Queenpin references were amusing too.

Gotta say Vulpes, you're getting into Ewing territory with your continuity weaving, as Black Cat feels like it it has such a neatly situated place within the 616, and I'm a big fan of your switching between scenes.

Can't wait for the two Anka issues next!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's also always nice to see lady Beetle.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I loved how happy Danny was to have a fight with somebody fun. Would have liked for him to have called her a Spider-Man villain, though, that woulda been great. This is a book I actually get excited for the next issue of, too, instead of just keeping up with it. Just seeing the preview of next month's cover made me grin.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'll add my voice to the chorus of praise for Black Cat. It was a delight to see Pei again.

Amazing Mary Jane was also great I'm glad next issue's not the last.

And hey, the Kindred plot is moving forward in ASM again! They definitely seem to be swerving away from all the hints it's Harry Osborn, but I've no idea who else fits all the information.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Thanks for the kinds words and support, friends! And yes, Danny totally should have called her a Spider-Man villain.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is Angela in any books at the moment?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Strikeforce

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I’m catching up with Immortal Hulk on Marvel Unlimited and so far it’s every bit as good as I was led to believe.

One question I have: around like issue 11 or 12 Banner is having a conversation with the current Hulk and asks him what Banmer should call him if not “Devil Hulk.” We don’t hear the answer, but Banner says something like “That makes a lot of sense.” Has that been paid off yet? Would anyone be willing to spoil it for me if it has?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
No. It's still building but the book is currently on a detour to battle capitalism

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Cool, thanks. I’m intrigued to see how Ewing manages to steer the book in that direction.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Splint Chesthair posted:

Cool, thanks. I’m intrigued to see how Ewing manages to steer the book in that direction.

One of the big strengths of the book is that it is changed the premise a few times, and that really avoids the trap that most horror books fall into.

Dario Agger is so good.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I don’t remember what issue, but Doc Samson did give a pretty fitting name to the new Hulk.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
eve ewing will in fact be writing the next run of champions

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sold, even if it felt like having all the teen heroes ever kinda tanked the last book. If they keep the focus to Kamala/Miles/Nova they should do better. Plus it's Ewing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/ryanqnorth/status/1215736916873707524
Cool, I'm always down for more Ryan North comics.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
marvel was so mad jeremy wanted to give julie a new gf they cancelled his book after issue 1 and gave it to ryan

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I like Ryan North a lot and I loved Squirrel Girl but I still feel, rationally or not, that the way he handled Doreen and Nancy was kind of chickenshit when all was said and done.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it was

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Koi Boi was the trans character they never actually said was trans in the comic right?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

He was shown wearing a chest binder at the very least, which isn't necessarily conclusive but certainly seems like what North and Henderson were intending. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part but I got the impression that Koi Boi and the Doreen/Nancy relationship were left unstated/ambiguous because nobody at Marvel could interfere with it. I have absolutely nothing to support this other than that they seem like genuinely decent people and I would like that sort of positive subversiveness to be the true.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

howe_sam posted:

Koi Boi was the trans character they never actually said was trans in the comic right?

yeah, iirc ryan put out a tweet confirming that he is wearing a binder, but its never spoken of in the book

rantmo posted:

Doreen/Nancy relationship were left unstated/ambiguous because nobody at Marvel could interfere with it.

positive subversiveness

lmao wut

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sadly I don't think Julie will be drawn with abs you could grate cheese with in this one.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Trying to actually get this stuff onto the page and make it as textual as possible without someone in editorial shutting it down. Couldn't think of a better way of phrasing it. Like I said, it's wishful thinking on my part.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dawgstar posted:

Sadly I don't think Julie will be drawn with abs you could grate cheese with in this one.

nor do i think we'll see rikki barnes, muscle wife

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

nor do i think we'll see rikki barnes, muscle wife

Somebody brought it up, posting the page you might expect but he hasn't responded.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

site posted:

lmao wut

I imagine they mean that if Ryan tried to make it explicit, then Marvel would put an end to it. Keeping it implied means that he could keep addressing it. Something like trying to avoid the Mystique/Destiny thing from happening again.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

IUG posted:

I imagine they mean that if Ryan tried to make it explicit, then Marvel would put an end to it. Keeping it implied means that he could keep addressing it. Something like trying to avoid the Mystique/Destiny thing from happening again.

That's a much clearer way of saying it, thank you.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i guess i could almost go along with that except for the part where the book literally ended and even in the final issue he didnt bother making it explicit

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

New Warriors?

https://www.newsarama.com/48562-night-thrasher-resurrects-the-new-warriors-after-outlawed.html

Ok then

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
kinda hard to believe that the older millennial warriors are even remotely near the same age as kamala/miles/riri/ etc

e: poo poo, i guess theyd deffo be gen x huh

site fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Depending on what date you want to accept as the cutoff, the youngest Generation X people are currently somewhere between 36 and 40. At this point Peter Parker is a Millennial, the founding X-Men are likely Millennials. I guess a smattering of SIlver Age Debuting heroes might be Generation X -- Reed Richards, Stephen Strange, Ben Grimm, maybe Bruce Banner and Tony Stark? But everyone else with their own book is either effectively immortal or a Millennial/Zoomer/whatever.

I feel like the young heroes introduced in the 1980s/1990s are in a weird space in terms of how much time has taken place since they were introduced.

The New Mutants debuted in 1982 and were many of them were explicitly given ages:

Cannonball was 16
Sunspot was 14
Wolfsbane was 13

So by that logic, given that both Cannonball and Wolfsbane are parents, and Bobby and Sam have been of legal drinking age for awhile, at least seven years have passed since 1982-Marvel.

Power Pack debuted two years later and also gave explicit ages:

Alex = 12
Julie = 10
Jack = 8
Katie = 5

Alex and Julie are both adults/college aged by now, which suggests 8+ years have passed since Power Pack #1, but Jack and Katie are both still essentially pre-pubescent kids last I saw them in anything, which would suggest that less than eight years have passed so...

(Also Franklin Richards was roughly the same age as Katie Power in the original Power Pack series, suggesting that roughly five years passed between his birth in RW1968 and RW1984, though prior to Secret Wars Franklin had aged like a maximum of 3-4 years between 1984 and 2015)

And the New Warriors debuted in 1990 and were all (I think, maybe with the exception of Nova) supposed to be teenagers when the book debuted. Firestar was supposed to be 13 when she debuted around the same time as the New Mutants, and Justice was a little kid when he met his future self in the Guardians of the Galaxy in (real life) 1980, slightly before the New Mutants debuted, right around the time that a 13 year old Kitty Pryde joined the X-Men, and a few months before a teenaged Richard Ryder quit the Nova Corps to "go back to high school".

Anyway none of this ever makes sense but sure, I can believe most of the New Warriors are somehow still under 21. They're definitely not Generation X, and they might not even be Millennials (the youngest Millennial is 23 right now, the oldest is 35-39, meaning Batman and Superman are also explicitly Millenials now)

And Captain America got defrosted some time in the Obama administration.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 11, 2020