Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Shitenshi posted:

FtNW had two problems, mainly that the transformation upgrade mechanics were more troublesome than they needed to be whether it was the different fetishes being scattered in sidequests that you might not be assed to do otherwise and getting the required soul energy to power up your transformations to be reliable on a consistent basis in such a relatively short game meant you practically could never run from battles or complete most of the sidequests to compensate, or that the good ending in addition to being kinda creepy, also relied upon powering up all your transformations to max and thus required a shitton of grinding and sidequest completion.

Other than that though, it was good enough. I guess the only real problem people had with the story was it's more comedic aspects though, which are even more amped than this game and it's predecessor compared to Koudelka.

FtNW is one of those games like BoF: Dragon Quarter, and debatably Chrono Cross that would've been far more appreciated if they were spun off into their own IPs than as a follow up to something beloved because they do things so differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
It probably would have been smarter to say "well, last time we changed protagonists we changed titles, let's continue this tradition", but on the other hand I wouldn't want to change the core gameplay or the "loving with history for funsies" aspects so I can see not wanting to create that distance between the previous titles either.

(Chrono Cross of course made the very dumb mistake of making its plot entirely dependent on it's sequel status to make even the bizarre almost-sense it makes now, it would collapse into dust without it.)

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Robindaybird posted:

FtNW is one of those games like BoF: Dragon Quarter, and debatably Chrono Cross that would've been far more appreciated if they were spun off into their own IPs than as a follow up to something beloved because they do things so differently.

Do you want my thesis on Chrono Cross? Because that's how you get my thesis on Chrono Cross

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Do you want my thesis on Chrono Cross? Because that's how you get my thesis on Chrono Cross

Pleath no thethith on Chrono Croth, Sergeipoo!

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Does it involve copious amounts of Speed?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Clearly, you must make a blog about your Chrono Cross thesis.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I still think that From The New World, while obviously not as good as Covenant, is still a really fun and enjoyable PS2 RPG. It's not an instant classic (Covenant is up there with Tales of the Abyss, the Atelier Iris and Mana Khemia games, and .hack GU as PS2 Era Classics), but it's still perfectly good.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

M. Bison voice: Yes! Yes!

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I ain't sayin' removing the CT stuff from Cross will make it good, but just makes it less infuriating.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

I ain't sayin' removing the CT stuff from Cross will make it good, but just makes it less infuriating.

3rd Birthday is an even better example where they should have done that. All you'd need to do is change names and come up with a different reason why the main character has magic powers (that are completely different from what they were to begin with anyway).

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

BioMe posted:

3rd Birthday is an even better example where they should have done that. All you'd need to do is change names and come up with a different reason why the main character has magic powers (that are completely different from what they were to begin with anyway).

I can assure you, Third Birthday would be about as abysmal even without the original game connection.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Geostomp posted:

I can assure you, Third Birthday would be about as abysmal even without the original game connection.

I dunno, if you omitted that part you also omit the part where Aya is actually like 14, that feels important.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LI: Gleeful Laughter

The key to the Lion's Shrine reveals... a near-identical hallway but with way worse lighting and a save point. I'm not sure why we needed a save point here since Victor was the only boss. Annoyingly, there are still random battles in this hall and the corridor leading up to this one. That stupid loser Victor can't even place his boss battle properly. :argh:

Let's head in and see what villainy Rasputin is getting up to...

NEW Music: Serious Mood ~ Unrest
(We're hitting all the moods and this one is villainy.)

You know it's an important cutscene when they bother to have all the warriors rendered. Especially poor Blanca, who drops out of existence with troubling regularity during cutscenes.

Alexei!

It is quite the handful to get a child to sleep. As you well know...
So what are you up to, Rasputin? What are you and Sapientes Gladio planning, anyway?
I'm going to be real... your theming with the claw guys and Lenny and Tits McGee here and intentions in general...? Kind of all over the place.
I've always admired Napoleon, you see.
<steps forward> So you're planning to conquer Europe!

If all Russia's resources were properly leveraged, it would be possible.
You're insane...
...That's it?
It's quite the undertaking, indeed.

Wouldn't it be wonderful? The whole world, hearkening to my voice. Each breath of mine, the ocean's tides.
No, I mean more like the last two wizards I fought wanted to do a ritual to blow-up all of Europe and then the next guy summoned an alien god to destroy the entire planet. This just feels like it's beneath me...
Do not fret. I will impress you in due time, Godslayer.

It's greedy maniacs like you, Rasputin, that start revolutions and cause innocent people to die.

It is the people themselves who cry the loudest for a change in government!
...!!
<motions to Anastasia> And I think even you should know that.
Surely you have been out on the streets and heard the random input of strangers decrying your family's decaying rule?
...N-Not everyone.
A sum more than zero though. Am I wrong?

...... <looks dejected>
An unbridgeable gap has opened between the people and the aristocracy. Even without me, the fire of revolution would sooner or later be lit.
I would estimate a year or two tops. If I had to guestimate I'd give it until summer of 1918 for it to boil over...
Shut up!

Anastasia rushes Rasputin in a rather ballsy move. However, her advance is halted by the knife-wielding Veronica.

Anastasia!
If that's the case, then the less blood spilt, the better. Royal blood alone should be sufficient!
<struggles against Veronica>
So what do you say if we just pick up from where we left off earlier this evening, princess? I do so dislike leaving obligations unfulfilled...

<steps forward> Why, you...!
What's wrong, Godslayer?

Kill me, if you have the courage. Fight me one on one. If you win, I'll give you the prince and princess.
Okay. Get ready to lose.
Hehehe. Prepare to debate me, fool!
What? No. I'm gonna punch a hole through your stupid pointy nose.
Oh? Are we going to resort to conflict as debase as that...?
...How do you know who I am and not expect it to play out like this?
Hmph... A fair point, Godslayer.

With your heart cursed by the Mistletoe, do you really think you can defeat me?

Yuri immediately goes for it with a series of haymakers and roundhouse kicks to Rasputin, but all of his blows are blocked by an invisible electric shield.

<chuckles> How amusing. Is that the best that you can do?
That was just a warm-up. You'll see.
Fire up the boss theme and let's do this right!

Very well, but now it is my turn!
Who said we weren't already in a boss battle? And I think you'll find turn-based combat can be, as they say, a bitch...
...Wha?

Music: Flame of Strain to Blaze ~ Tension

Eh? What kinda attack is tha—AWW poo poo!!

Gah!!

Hey! I remember that place! It's Kuihai Tower which was effectively the end of Disc 1 in that game. Remember that time we ditched Alice for a week in there getting tortured in favor of a Hong Kong field trip? Ahh, memories...

Ahh! Ugh! Gah!

And that's the Calios Mental Hospital where Koudelka got tortured for years and ruined Yuri's life by yelling into his head to go punch villains and become a Rude Hero.

Gaaaaah!

And that's the Neam Ruins. The uhh... first one. Not to be mistaken with the Neam Ruins with the floating box puzzles we explored earlier in this game's adventure. They're like a quarter-mile away from each other. C'mon. Completely different. There's no ziggurat for summoning alien gods in the newer one.

Ugh...

Yuri flops onto his back unconscious.

Yuri!!
Hehe.
Wake up!!

Rasputin is LOVING this poo poo!

There is no magic... that can stop the power of this curse!
What about the magic of these bulging muscles?!

Joachim loving goes for it trying to just dropkick Grigori Rasputin while he's busy being evil. Unfortunately...

Yeah... that shield that Yuri had trouble with is just a passive ability and Rasputin no-sells the attack.

Good boy Blanca too tries to go for it. However...

Yeah... Rasputin just has Force Lightning like he's Emperor Sheev Palpatine (that's the stupid first name they gave Palpatine by the way) on top of the super cutscene shield. It does not go well for Blanca either. Lucia and Gepetto opt to just not even bother attacking. There's a reason they're on the bench until further notice.

It's futile! You cannot pierce my shield.
You're a monster...!
That's right. I do have the power of a monster. I choose to accept your words as a compliment.

Music: Serious Mood ~ Unrest

You have most beautiful eyes, my dear. Your inner strength shines through them. I can see why Nicolai wanted you to join forces with him.
Hmph...
Among other... exemplary attributes. Hehe.
Karin, I have some news that will interest you. Your hometown, once so beautiful, is now nothing more than a smoldering ruin.
?!
*laughs gleefully*
That had nothing to do with me, by the way. Just passing on wartime intel, my dear.

Rasputin turns his attention to Anastasia.

Now... let's finish this.
<shakes her head and whimpers>

Rasputin casts a spell on Anastasia which causes her to fall into a dazed stupor as her mother had been in earlier.

Veronica hands her dagger over to the bewitched Anastasia. Ms. Vera sure has made quite the jump in villainy the last couple of chapters going from cartoon villain dropping off monsters of the week before running off to now boning Rasputin, helping with a coup and promoting child murder.

Anastasia!
Stop!!
One of you two do something!!
Ehh... my back is acting up again...
I couldn't possibly make it in time in these heels!

Heh.

Finger snap.

Music: Flame of Strain to Blaze ~ Tension

<looks at knife> Huh?!

Alexandra shoves her daughter out of the way and runs up to her son.

Alexei!!

Anastasia!!
<shakes head> N-no!! It wasn't me...

Apparently, Rasputin just glued the knife to Anastasia's hand since she struggles to get rid of the dagger and just gives up in favor of crying. Dick move, guy.

All is well, Your Highness. The prince is unhurt.
Why isn't he waking up?
Hmm... I suspect a spell is at play.

<turns his attention to Yuri and Karin> Just as I thought, Anastasia was being controlled by the strangers' magic.
It was unwise to let them roam free unattended.
Wait... Wasn't it you who suggested they be permitted to stay?
Your mistaken, m'lady. My wise council would never allow such rabble into the palace.
...Oh. Yes, you're probably right.

<turns to the party> Why, you!!
Guards! Arrest them! They tried to assassinate the prince.

Four identical guards storm the room and draw their swords.

<struggles to his feet> drat...
NOW these idiots decide to wake up...?

Despite being still mildly jacked from his latest curse flaring up, Yuri is still able to skillfully dodge any of their blows and bodies two of them with a shoulder check. Rasputin better hire better goons if his coup does succeed. These morons are embarrassing even for interchangeable mooks.

At this point, Yuri and the gang decide to book it since this encounter with Rasputin clearly isn't going in their favor.

Joachim decides that perhaps leaving Anastasia with a sorcerer actively trying to kill her and her family while being framed for attempted fratricide on the table PROBABLY should stay here alone, so he scoops her up while they flee. Your heart is in the right place, Joachim. But you did just abduct a princess and that's not going to do wonders for our already plummeting street cred in Russia.

Don't let the assassins escape! I want them hunted down and killed at once!

I'm not sure if I follow Rasputin's plan at this point what with revealing his intentions immediately to the only people trying to stop him, drugging the entire palace for an evening, framing Anastasia for attempted murder, blaming it on the party and then... letting them escape? But whatever. Dude is having a good time either way.

Video: Episode 51 Highlight Reel
(You should always watch Rasputin being an evil poo poo.)

Prince Alexei Concept Art - Much like how Anastasia should be 14 at this point and looks/acts around 11, Alexei is supposed to be 10ish at this point and looks about six years old tops.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I appreciate Joachim trying to be a hero at multiple junctures, too.

And Blanca.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
See, if I had written this scene, after Blanca jumping at Rasputin, I would have cut to Lucia and Gepetto trying to cast a fireball spell and an ice attack at Rasputin, but his shield blocks them and then sends back generic lightning to bring them to the floor.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Or if you want to completely kill the tone, have Lucia try a tarot card and zap herself.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Night10194 posted:

I appreciate Joachim trying to be a hero at multiple junctures, too.

And Blanca.

Seeing party members actually try to stop villains during cutscenes is such a rare treat in JRPGs that I’m not even annoyed that none of the party remembered that they all have magical powers and shouldn’t just try to rush the evil wizard.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I know that between casually reflecting the whole party's attacks and naming them Russia's Public Enemy No. 1, that Rasputin looks really badass here, but based on the power scale that our current crew is roughly on par with nerfed Yuri, from an anime Catholic schoolgirl who beat all manners of unholy abominations to death with books to a teenage boy who was friends with a devil summoning British girl and helped Yuri kill Cthulhu Jesus with a slingshot, the old team would break all of Rasputin's bones no time at all.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 10, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's a misdirect; Keeping the palace focused on Yuri and Anastasia means they're not looking at Rasputin's plots, and keeps Yuri busy for the time being.

Plus anything that might tie back to Rasputin is CLEARLY the work of Yuri's group!

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
This is probably one of the more sensible cases of the villain that doesn't kill the party despite having them at his mercy, honestly, Given that he currently his his immunity shield, and he can just activate the mistletoe whenever, he can't be feeling the threat from them.

Sterski
Jun 30, 2014
That art of Rasputin at the end makes him look like a Kazuma Kaneko character

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Sterski posted:

That art of Rasputin at the end makes him look like a Kazuma Kaneko character

https://megamitensei.fandom.com/wiki/Rasputin

Sterski
Jun 30, 2014
I am a dumbass

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That Rasputin is a little different than this one, but they both have the rockin' beard and are both sex maniacs. Of course.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Considering those were both characteristics of the real Rasputin, it's about as close as either game gets to reality.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Speedball posted:

That Rasputin is a little different than this one, but they both have the rockin' beard and are both sex maniacs. Of course.

Wait, would Rasputin have been a Goon?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Wait, would Rasputin have been a Goon?

unlike a lot of goons, Rasputin actually gets game

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Robindaybird posted:

unlike a lot of goons, Rasputin actually gets game

OOF

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.

Geostomp posted:

Seeing party members actually try to stop villains during cutscenes is such a rare treat in JRPGs that I’m not even annoyed that none of the party remembered that they all have magical powers and shouldn’t just try to rush the evil wizard.

Dragon Quest 9. Grrrrr.....

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

Andyzero posted:

8, too.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Andyzero posted:

Your party in 9 may as well have been mannequins with weapons for all the character they had there, so I’m not upset. There is no excuse for 8, though.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

Geostomp posted:

Your party in 9 may as well have been mannequins with weapons for all the character they had there, so I’m not upset. There is no excuse for 8, though.

How many times did the party in 8 let themselves get captured by bitch-rear end Templars? Yuri could barely stand from having his curse poked by Rasputin and he still chumped those palace guards.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
If you showed me that Alexei concept art out of context while telling me there was a puppet master character that used a puppet that looked like a child, I'd look at it and say that fits, yeah.

Little late, but I never really actively noticed how many villains teleport across media, in general, before the sheer quantity in the Kingdom Hearts games made it hard to overlook.

DukeofCA posted:

How many times did the party in 8 let themselves get captured by bitch-rear end Templars? Yuri could barely stand from having his curse poked by Rasputin and he still chumped those palace guards.

I'm inclined to cut 8 some slack, since that party wasn't as rebellious in nature as this one for most of the game, they had a horse and cart to worry about, and making a permanent enemy of the worldwide religion earlier would've gotten in their way more often than not.

Episode L

The Dark Id posted:

every single sentry is out light a light

aka adults being assholes to kids scare them straight

we can duck into a back storeroom the looks as though a Resident Evil block-pushing puzzle should be hiding out in

Episode LI

The Dark Id posted:

resort to conflict as debase as that...?

perhaps leaving Anastasia with a sorcerer actively trying to kill her and her family while being framed for attempted fratricide on the table PROBABLY should stay here alone

I don't usually see debase used like that, should it be "debased" or "base", maybe?
Second needs a rewording at the start or the end. "perhaps leaving Anastasia....is a bad idea" type thing or "perhaps Anastasia, the girl with a sorcerer...table, PROBABLY shouldn't stay here alone"

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Zagglezig posted:

I'm inclined to cut 8 some slack, since that party wasn't as rebellious in nature as this one for most of the game, they had a horse and cart to worry about, and making a permanent enemy of the worldwide religion earlier would've gotten in their way more often than not.

Seeing as the alternative was life imprisonment in a hellish dungeon, they should have rolled the dice. The bit with Rollo was some extreme luck that they could have in no way predicted. If he hadn't a) been thrown in the dungeon in the first place, and b) decided to sacrifice himself (which was a little out of character) to help the party escape, they would have all died a miserable death.

They should have fought. :colbert:

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LII: Star Wolf

<sigh> Since we've arrived in Russia, nothing but terrible things have happened here.
<cough> No poo poo, Rog! Oww...

I was foolish. I-I never expected Rasputin would be so powerful. I was wrong.
Argh... you've barely talked since we got here, old man...
I was thinking it, alright?
Helpful...

What was that shield of his?! I couldn't even make a dent in it!
That drop kick had expert form and nothing! Unbelievable!
What are we going to do? They think we've kidnapped the princess!

Music: Impatient Mood

<shakes head>
I mean, I wanted to come with you all... Rasputin is bad news. But, you... kind of did kidnap me... Have you seen our guards? I could have snuck right out while they were distracted...

They'll find us here.
Edgar, you've been a big help but... you are a known accomplice and should skip town. Also, maybe change your look while you're at it...?
I know a thing or two about this.

drat...
This has not been my year...

I think that it's time that we left Russia. There was somewhere I was planning on taking you, anyway. Hmm...
In hindsight, I probably should have taken you there first before trying to go straight for Rasputin...
Yeah? Where's that?
It better not be back to frikkin' Wales AGAIN.
To the Goreme Valley in Turkey, beyond the Anatolian Mountains.
Turkey?!
<nods> Mhm.
Yeah, what, Rog? Now's not the time to eat a big roasted bird.
It's a country, Yuri.
Wha? It's like a dry, kind of bland white meat bird, right? I could have sworn I've eaten that on a sandwich before.
They both have the same name, Yuri.
Well, that's dumb.

For many years now, I've been tracking the whereabouts uh... of a certain individual. And while we were separated, I finally found him. Yeah...
Who is this person?
The one person who should know everything about Sapientes Gladio. Are you ready...?
For more exposition? Do I have a choice?
I'm already setting up a slideshow.
<sigh> Yeah, hit me.

Music: ENDS

Sapientes Gladio was founded several decades ago by Jovis, a humble priest of the Greek Orthodox Church.

At that time, Jovis was doing missionary work with many other volunteers. Well, when he saw the brutality of the colonial policies, he raised his voice against their cruel racism.

He made many friends among the commoners there and even more enemies among the elite.

And though they tried to oppress him, they were unable to silence his voice. Ahh... But Sapientes Gladio, the group that once walked the Path of Righteousness, somehow veered off that path, and they became lost.

Travel now to Goreme Valley and find the Great Sage, Jovis. If anyone knows the secret to Rasputin's power, it's him.

Music: Town of Twilight ~ European Town

So we have a new objective, Göreme Valley (it is actually supposed to have an umlaut on the O as it is a real location in Turkey) to meet the Great Sage Jovis, who is not actually a historical figure as far as I can tell.

But Roger is not entirely correct. While most of Petrograd is inaccessible now due to Yuri backing off from the newly placed palace guard on both ends of this street, there is actually one final bit of business left for us in town before we continue our quest.

Anyway, we need to protect Blanca against the Panic status effect. Take a wild guess that what the remaining Petrograd task is...

If we return to the alley where Anastasia was nearly assassinated by a monster summoned by a mid-boss, we now find a man who looks as though he is dressed up like a tall Christmas elf and a wolf in a space helmet. Perfectly normal for a Russian winter, I'm sure.

I do not think this is a traditional Russian name. At least, as far as I'm aware. Nor is naming your dog R-3.

And who are you wonderful fellows?
Us? I'm Goztafssiki. This here is R-3. We came here from Planet Suzuran to invade Earth. Pleasure to meet you.

...Yeah, no. Blanca, I've had a weird and crappy enough day. This is your deal. I'm out...
Awroo...? (What is even happening?)

Well, better get the invasion started. Could you please fight R-3, here?

Awroo...? (What are they making me fight this time...?)
Awroo. (Oh, well. Guess I've got to do it.)

...Nor is your dog speaking in elaborate Japanese emoticons. I don't think that is standard in Russia, but I am no expert.

Music: Soul Comet ~ Spirit of the Wolf

Just couldn't resist the attraction of Earth's gravity, huh? Hmph!
( ^ _ ^ ) <3

Music: Glint of Light ~ War of the Hungry Wolf

Time to stop an alien invasion. Sure, why not? K-3 is a Light elemental enemy with 506 HP.

I think we know how Wolf Bouts go for the most part by this point. The intended method is to go into it, Blanca probably gets bodied by whatever status effect gimmick, then you put on the appropriate counter to that and then it is a battle of attrition the second go. As you could probably guess from that Feather Bracelet we stuck on Blanca, R-3's status effect gimmick is causing Panic with its physical attacks. If you don't recall from the write-up way earlier in the LP, Panic causes triple SP loss. Given that Blanca only possesses 11 SP total... yeah, that's a problem. So going in blind without the right tools, we'd have to deal with curing Blanca every few turns AND either curing Panic or recovering SP every few turns as well.

This time around we're also going to put up a Shield spell because R-3 hits hard enough physically for it to be a problem that will draw the battle the hell out wasting turns to heal up.

With its Physical attacks neutered (do space wolves have nards?) all that is left in R-3's toolset is Nova, a rather unimpressive Light elemental spell.

Conclusion: Welcome to Earth!

Music: Result ~ Victory

We have a firm anti-alien policy, I'm afraid. You'd think Yuri and his friends smoking the Meta-God would have gotten the word out to the interstellar community to take a pass on this planet.

Music: Town of Twilight ~ European Town

This is no kind of place for you to live. Go on back where you came from.
You can't even awroo properly? What are you even playing at?
( ; _ ; ) '

You lost, R-3? I see...
Look, if we're done here, let's get going. Who knows what kind of radiation these guys are giving off?
Roughly 3.6 roentgen -- not great, not terrible...

But wait, we need a radioactive paw print to add to our Wolf Bout collection first! And a look at R-3's profile.

R-3
Male. Age: Unknown
Born: Planet Suzuran

What a helpful space dog giving out emoticon lessons like that.

Yuri and Blanca depart.

Invading Earth is harder than I thought. I guess I'll just wait quietly for the others to come pick me up, instead.

Now that we've saved Earth from another alien calamity, our business in Petrograd has concluded for the time being. Don't worry, we'll be back eventually. But not before some wilder developments. But for now, time to pile back into the airship and venture to Turkey as Shadow Hearts: Covenant continues...

That was quite a dense chapter and we have I think the most new Library entries yet.

Monsters:

I can be your angel or your devil.

Sadly, you cannot hug with crystalline arms...

I smoked wormgaur feather once and I still get bad flashbacks to that trip.

No, you're closer in style to the Paladins with some guy named Victor from accounting's head swapped onto it. Dweeb.

Characters:

Ra ra Rasputin
Lover of the Russian queen
There was a cat that really was gone
Ra ra Rasputin
Russia's greatest love machine
It was a shame how he carried on

Would totally gank Rasputin were he not a seven-foot-tall actual powerful wizard in this timeline.

Also backing down hard from assassination plots.

For some reason, they just keep saying a vague blood disease but Alexei had hemophilia (blood doesn't clot properly so every time you get so much as a nose bleed it's an endless blood gusher.) Also, you'll have to take this description's word on Alexei being bright and charming because he gets like three unvoiced lines the entire game and being a prop in that last Rasputin scene was his biggest role in the story. Unless you count the fact Rasputin never would have gotten where he is if this kid wasn't sickly. Get it together, Alexei.

Easily manipulated by tall, gangly evil bearded monks.

How many watches did these people need to have a trusted watchmaker?

Only a space elf would come up with a world domination plan that involved just siccing a single wolf that spoke in emoticons on each individual person on the planet until subjugating all of mankind.

Video: Episode 52 Highlight Reel

Blanca Concept Art - Defender of Earth Good Boy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's sort of hard to blame the various Russian nobles for not loving with Rasputin more when he just bodied a guy justifiably called "The Godslayer".

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
This wolf bout was bafflingly surreal in both its content and its timing, and it owns.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Dark Id posted:

Ra ra Rasputin
Lover of the Russian queen
There was a cat that really was gone
Ra ra Rasputin
Russia's greatest love machine
It was a shame how he carried on

Reference for those who don't know.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The reference in that particular Wolf Bout was Bianca telling the space-wolf that it couldn't resist Earth's gravity and that it should go back where it came from. Unsurprisingly that is also a reference to Mobile Suit Gundam's Char and his obsession with people's souls being weighed down by Earth's gravity, as well as his belief all humanity should return to space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
That bit about being the Empress Alexandra being the granddaughter of Queen Victoria is key - Queen Victoria had lots of children, who married royalty throughout Europe, and sadly for them, Queen Victoria also had the genes for hemophilia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Victoria

Remember, folks, don't marry your cousin (and then have tons of children who marry and have children).