Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

interviewed owned gj matt and virgil, looking forward to more tweets like this

https://twitter.com/JMosios/status/1215477795805114369

zionist in bio was the first thing to make me laugh in a while

e: shameful snipe, go listen to the Duckfeed boys they are goons and talk about video games in a nice way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

How Darwinian posted:

having no idea what "conflicting values" means, descending into platitudes about the differing philosophies on the free market, and how you leftists can't just say "my way or the highway"

I was thinking about that one a lot. It's easy to forget that most people are trained to view ideology and philosophy as a mere opinion and not how people interpret the world. People can claim they have a philosophical commitment to free market capitalism, but never once in their lives have those preconceptions ever been challenged. They don't actually believe in anything it's just assumed that's how it is. Capitalist realism is so thorough that you can draw a direct line from the surge of the online left today to people getting radicalized on LF 10 years ago.

You can't just handwave away the contradictions by saying people have philosophy.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1215665993944641538?s=19

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It’s working yall

https://twitter.com/UnBoliviable52/status/1215656911929954310?s=20

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

holy poo poo lmao

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

It’s working yall

Given the Indigenous Bolivans flag avi I'm 90% certain that's someone in on the bit.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
I'm pretty sure everyone replying to that guy are Chapo listeners trolling him. Especially that guy.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Theris posted:

Given the Indigenous Bolivans flag avi I'm 90% certain that's someone in on the bit.

Oh for sure, but the writing style down to the "~sigh~" is such pitch perfect Twitter lib poo poo

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone replying to that guy are Chapo listeners trolling him. Especially that guy.
I thought we diverted all personnel to stalking Sady Doyle?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

gh0stpinballa posted:

i know, i know, but i think i have a way to explore the history of it and where it comes from that might be a little different and maybe put it in a new light. i know matt christman did a (great) inebriated past about it not too long ago but hopefully people are up for a very detailed multi part look at it. from there gonna branch off into italy germany etc, like you say it touches so many different events, it's probably been a much bigger influence on history than we appreciate.

Learning about gladios is very eye opening, the global network of fash/cia is so horrifying.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Atrocious Joe posted:

That host is also extremely sure that Somaliland is not part of Somalia, which isn't true. They want to be, but uhhh not yet.
eh, in the same way nagorno-karabakh’s a part of azerbaijan. they’re defacto independent, it’s just not formally recognized

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Virgil isn't white lol

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Minecraft Holmes posted:

Virgil isn't white lol
https://mobile.twitter.com/JMosios/status/1215688951979290625
:laffo:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

remember how many chuds got a crush on gender swapped David Hogg?

:hmbol:

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

what IS virgil though, I think Asian but that mophead style that would make 1963 Ringo Starr cringe makes it impossible to tell

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

zegermans posted:

what IS virgil though, I think Asian but that mophead style that would make 1963 Ringo Starr cringe makes it impossible to tell

He's Japanese.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ace of Baes posted:

He's Japanese.

you really think so?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's clearly Texan if you would take a second to look at his last name

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
virgil is clearly Russo-Abkhazian. in this essay i will

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
he's a quarter corgi

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

good, liberals should be frightened :)

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Cocoa Crispies posted:

you really think so?

I'm pretty sure he said so or made an allusion to it at some point on an ep or on Twitter, it was a couple years ago so my memory is hazy.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Virgil Texas sounds like a name a japanese video game developer would give an american character so this checks out

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

mila kunis posted:

Virgil Texas sounds like a name a japanese video game developer would give an american character so this checks out

"nice ad hominem" - Virgil Texas, Devil May Cry

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The tweets about it are protected or deleted now, but Mia Mulder replied to a Contrapoints tweet with a heart emoticon four months ago and has been receiving a constant stream of death threats and doxxing ever since.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not sure if this is a thread that would be worth talking about it in or not.

Has anyone listened to The West Wing Thing from Dave Anthony & Josh Olson? I only heard about its premise and it seems somewhat interesting and politically oriented.

quote:

hosts & screenwriters Josh Olson (A History of Violence) and Dave Anthony (Deadly Class), gleefully tear apart each episode of the West Wing for its smugness and centrist politics. They don’t just troll the show either; they lay down a solid case for every criticism they lob. They know how show business works, they know their American history (Anthony also hosts the history podcast The Dollop) and they’re certain they know who’s to blame for all of the West Wing’s issues: West Wing creator Aaron Sorkin.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

mila kunis posted:

it's a True Stories reference

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Gripweed posted:

The tweets about it are protected or deleted now, but Mia Mulder replied to a Contrapoints tweet with a heart emoticon four months ago and has been receiving a constant stream of death threats and doxxing ever since.

who? and also why?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mekchu posted:

I'm not sure if this is a thread that would be worth talking about it in or not.

Has anyone listened to The West Wing Thing from Dave Anthony & Josh Olson? I only heard about its premise and it seems somewhat interesting and politically oriented.

I listened to a bunch of it, it's not bad. They get pretty deep into how misogynist the show is. Both hosts are TV dudes, so they're really good at breaking down like writing or production stuff, but when it gets into nitty gritty political stuff they have to rely on Dave's vague memories of the Clinton years

The episode they did with Chris from Chapo about Sorkin's stage production of To Kill A Mockingbird is really good.

Xaris posted:

who? and also why?

Mia Mulder is a leftist youtube trans person. She does good videos.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Gripweed posted:

ah good to know, i'll check her stuff out. are chuds just mad at her for liking another leftist trans youtuber?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

I listened to a bunch of it, it's not bad. They get pretty deep into how misogynist the show is. Both hosts are TV dudes, so they're really good at breaking down like writing or production stuff, but when it gets into nitty gritty political stuff they have to rely on Dave's vague memories of the Clinton years

The episode they did with Chris from Chapo about Sorkin's stage production of To Kill A Mockingbird is really good.

So its less focused on the influences on modern politicians than it is on the TV production, practices? I try to get into political podcasts every now and then but they usually just make me feel lovely so I devolve into listening to a comedy podcast (eg. The Dollop, which is how i heard about the show) to help me stick my head in the sand and not revert back to more self destructive tendencies I've had in my life. So a funny podcast ripping apart politics/politicians would be nice to have.

Mekchu has issued a correction as of 21:55 on Jan 10, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Xaris posted:

ah good to know, i'll check her stuff out. are chuds just mad at her for liking another leftist trans youtuber?

contrapoints is really friendly with TERFs so probably not

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Xaris posted:

No, twitter trans people are mad at her because Contrapoints had Buck Angel do a voiceover in one of her videos. It's been this whole thing where people got mad at Contrapoints, and then got mad at everyone associated with her. People were demanding her IRL friends publicly denounce her, and it's basically been a huge thing. And Mia Mulder isn't even part of it, she doesn't know and has never worked with Contrapoints, but she replied to one of Contrapoints' tweets about it with a heart emoji. And ever since the apparently people have been threatening her, doxxing her, and demanding she apologize and publicly denounce Contrapoints.

Mekchu posted:

So its less focused on the influences on modern politicians than it is on the TV production, practices? I try to get into political podcasts every now and then but they usually just make me feel lovely so I devolve into listening to a comedy podcast (eg. The Dollop, which is how i heard about the show) to help me stick my head in the sand. So a funny podcast ripping apart politics/politicians would be nice to have.

It varies from episode to episode, depending on how relevant to modern political issues a given episode of West Wing is. But TV stuff is their strong suit so they usually do focus on that.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Gripweed posted:

No, twitter trans people are mad at her because Contrapoints had Buck Angel do a voiceover in one of her videos. It's been this whole thing where people got mad at Contrapoints, and then got mad at everyone associated with her. People were demanding her IRL friends publicly denounce her, and it's basically been a huge thing. And Mia Mulder isn't even part of it, she doesn't know and has never worked with Contrapoints, but she replied to one of Contrapoints' tweets about it with a heart emoji. And ever since the apparently people have been threatening her, doxxing her, and demanding she apologize and publicly denounce Contrapoints.

lmfao twitter was a mistake

#cancel everyone on it

e i have to wonder if half of 'twitter trans people' pulling that poo poo aren't just chuds trying to psyop and incite circular firing squad poo poo bc how easy it is do. bc even the dumbest brokebrain cspam poster wouldn't do that and i don't know anyone who goes 'yes let me send deaththreats to a trans person continuously for months on end because they liked another trans persons tweet', like it just isn't even in the realm of things people do.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 22:12 on Jan 10, 2020

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
youtube

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
leftist YouTube was honestly a mistake.

personalities have become the dominant factor and the politics themselves are more and more becoming an afterthought

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
its very simple, watch what you want, take out of it what you want lol. this aint tabula rasa motherf*ckers. listen to alex jones hes a funny guy like 20% of the time imo. my man knows how to riff

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CharlestheHammer posted:

leftist YouTube was honestly a mistake.

personalities have become the dominant factor and the politics themselves are more and more becoming an afterthought

The weirdest thing is when some random person named it "Breadtube" and everybody started calling it Breadtube even though literally every video creator in Breadtube has stated that they hate the name and wish it wasn't called that.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't watch leftist YouTube or breadtube or whatever it's called (aside from zero books and tmbs, maybe a few others occasionally) and it always makes me laugh that somehow there's a giant drama factory that has the aspiration of converting teens to communism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Gripweed posted:

The weirdest thing is when some random person named it "Breadtube" and everybody started calling it Breadtube even though literally every video creator in Breadtube has stated that they hate the name and wish it wasn't called that.

seems pretty on-brand