Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
Started with my boy at 2.5 years, took us a solid 2 months before he was pretty consistant/very few accidents. However this was a time when my wife was in the hospital with complete placenta previa for 2 months (bedridden) and he was being watched by 2 grandparents, 1 aunt, and myself.

He's almost 3 now, and still has the odd accident.

He also came running out of his room yesterday and said "Daddy Daddy, I peed on my books!"

*sigh*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

life is killing me posted:

Anyone know if they make Children’s Mucinex and Claritin in literally any other flavor than grape?

Mucinex comes in a few flavors. I know the liquid comes in Mixed Berry and Cherry. And I think the Melts come in some different ones.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What age did you all start giving mucinex?

My pediatrician said we could for our one-year-old but he had some reservations. He said if it has a dosage for a 4-year old than do half that.

The mucinex website states nothing for four year and younger so it’s all conflicting information.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Super Slash posted:

I usually have about 60% success of going;
"Oh you don't want it? Ok Daddy will eat it instead"
"Nooooo I eat it!"

So far I have 100% success rate with “do you want to come with me to x or stay at home all by yourself”
I’m waiting for the day he calls my bluff (4yo).

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

What age did you all start giving mucinex?

My pediatrician said we could for our one-year-old but he had some reservations. He said if it has a dosage for a 4-year old than do half that.

The mucinex website states nothing for four year and younger so it’s all conflicting information.

Ours said it's not meant for younger than 2 I think, and she did a special dosage just for one-time when he was younger. I asked about it again when we took him to doc Friday and she said keep same dosage and give to him until it clears up.

We started that mucinex with him around 8-9mo.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Mucinex comes in a few flavors. I know the liquid comes in Mixed Berry and Cherry. And I think the Melts come in some different ones.

I haven't heard of the melts. We might try those. It's a huge fight to get meds in him with grape flavor and all the drugs stores have here are grape.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Gotta say, ever since we started the two teaspoons of honey thing for cough with our 3 year old we haven't bothered a drat with mucinex.

He has had a couple of coughing colds this winter, but two teaspoons before bed and the cough consistently stops all night long. frickin magic.

Obviously you can't give it to kids under 1 year old though. Even our now 14 month old hasnt gotten it yet because id rather just get through this winter and use it on him next winter when he is clearly old enough for it to be safe.

SpaceCadetBob fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 7, 2020

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good ok to wake alarm clock? My son is 3 and can definitely climb out of his crib if he wants to so I'm hoping a clock will preserve his naps and sleeptime.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Nothing wrong with wake clocks, but you can train your toddlers to read a digital clock at least as far as the hour. Ours got up at like 4:37am a couple times but she eventually learned to stay in bed until the first number is 7.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Same, just started working on reading my 3.3 year olds bedroom clock, and after a weekish he gets that bedtime is 8 and we don’t wake up till it says 7.

Hasn’t really made anything to much easier, but at least I can use the clock as reinforcement that I’m not just being capricious in saying it’s bedtime.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

sheri posted:

We just let my son take the lead on it and we had very few accidents in total. We waited until he wanted to and it wasn't a fight to get him on the toilet and it went super fast and easy.

Not trying to potty train yet but my nephew never had any interest. He wasn't fully potty trained until he was 4 and then it was literally a conversation about how he was not allowed to go to big kid school if he was still wearing nappies. He's nearly 17 now and I am pleased to report he is not still in nappies so it did work... but it was super weird there for a while changing the nappy of a giant 4yo. We are sincerely hoping our son will show some interest in toilet training earlier than that.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Yeah, there is that - 4 years old seems late - but then again, you might end up like a relative of mine whose 4.5 yo is still having accidents almost daily (for pee) and on-and-off constipation issues because of holding it in, leading to occasional poop accidents as well. Guess when they started potty training? That's right, at 2 years old... My analysis is that she was not ready at that time, and mommy's constant attention to her making potty caused her to get a hangup on it herself, developing an anxiety over toilet visits. Their pediatrician is prescribing laxatives and it sort of works, but as soon as they leave home to stay elsewhere (like with relatives over holidays), it all breaks down and it's a constant power struggle between them.

Not saying early potty training is hard per se, I think this particular parent just had a hard time coping and transferred her anxiety onto the kid... So at least, she might have been better off waiting.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Nothing wrong with wake clocks, but you can train your toddlers to read a digital clock at least as far as the hour. Ours got up at like 4:37am a couple times but she eventually learned to stay in bed until the first number is 7.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Same, just started working on reading my 3.3 year olds bedroom clock, and after a weekish he gets that bedtime is 8 and we don’t wake up till it says 7.

Hasn’t really made anything to much easier, but at least I can use the clock as reinforcement that I’m not just being capricious in saying it’s bedtime.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try a digital clock first. He does love numbers!

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, there is that - 4 years old seems late - but then again, you might end up like a relative of mine whose 4.5 yo is still having accidents almost daily (for pee) and on-and-off constipation issues because of holding it in, leading to occasional poop accidents as well. Guess when they started potty training? That's right, at 2 years old... My analysis is that she was not ready at that time, and mommy's constant attention to her making potty caused her to get a hangup on it herself, developing an anxiety over toilet visits. Their pediatrician is prescribing laxatives and it sort of works, but as soon as they leave home to stay elsewhere (like with relatives over holidays), it all breaks down and it's a constant power struggle between them.
This was me with my oldest when he was 2. So I waited until my younger two were ready and into it (around 3.5 for both) and it was easy as hell with few accidents.

Meanwhile my oldest is almost 8 and will still hold it forever.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Ugh... our 4 year old is still in nappies/pull-ups, it's not helped that he has autism so it's always challenging to get him to listen to instructions. But lately he's been doing very well with his communication and playing by himself, to the point where he'll go and hide to take a poo poo, come and tell us "Pooed! Change nappy!" then go to his bedroom to put a changing mat down and lay down on it giggling.

Every now and then I've played pretend/practice with him by walking through taking off his undies etc and sitting on the toilet with a step (we also changed out the seat to include a child size rim) where we both count to 10 and then flush, if he could just put it into practice it'll be loving awesome because two kids worth of pissy/lovely nappies is mental on our garbage collection (we ended up having to request extra collection from the local council where they supplied specific bags).

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Anyone have any infant cold tips beside nasal aspiration, saline spray, steam, and humidifiers? My four-month-old's got his second cold ever, and it's brutal having to deal with him overnight while needing to work full-time. Dude wakes up every ten minutes. First cold was during parental leave, so that was doable if lovely.

I suspect the answer is "naw, lol," but hey.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Insanite posted:

Anyone have any infant cold tips beside nasal aspiration, saline spray, steam, and humidifiers? My four-month-old's got his second cold ever, and it's brutal having to deal with him overnight while needing to work full-time. Dude wakes up every ten minutes. First cold was during parental leave, so that was doable if lovely.

Sleeping on a slight incline? Our 6 month old sleeps in this nap buddy thing and apparently it helps some drainage.

Also just in general we're going through sleep hell. First child slept perfectly so we knew we weren't gonna be lucky with this one. He's the lightest sleeper EVER and screams if he's not sleeping in mom's arms. Sure makes our house a fun place to be the past four months boy howdy.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Are you a single parent? Because if not, take alternating nights on the couch while he's sick.

Also, yes, inclining the kid's bed is a good idea. We were gifted some special stackable cups that you put under legs of the bed, but really a few thick books do just as well.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Insanite posted:

You're probably also going through a sleep regression that isn't any fun at all. An incline will help a good deal.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Sleep regression plus cold is no fun, neither is fun on its own but both together sucks for him and for you twice as much.

If he's sleeping in a crib or bassinet, consider moving him to a pack n play temporarily. It's much easier to take the little "mattress" board and put something underneath it to incline it. Alternatively, with our bassinet it was easy enough to incline the little sleep surface in that one too, so you could try that if he's in a bassinet now and you don't wanna move him to sleep in something else. Inclining will help a lot more than you might think. It doesn't seem like it now, but it'll pass. Colds suck because there's not much you can do for him other than what you're doing, and he's a little young for Claritin or Mucinex. You could try calling his pediatrician to see if you can get a special dosage for Claritin (depends on whether or not he/she is willing to do that, some won't, ours would only do that depending on severity of the symptoms) based on his weight and age. He's definitely too young for Mucinex, because my son is 20mo and when his pediatrician said we could give him Mucinex recently, the dosage was the same (1.5ml) as she had given when he was 9-10mo, and even then she said to give it to him 1-2 days and then stop.

ne: Really, if he's going through a sleep regression, and he likely is given he's 4mo, he's still gonna wake up frequently with or without a cold so I wouldn't expect a ton more sleep if you're able to help him with the cold symptoms. The 4mo sleep regression is the longest and nastiest one because of all the changes it brings about in baby's sleep and wake patterns. That was hell, and I wished frequently during that time that I was getting as much sleep as I was when ours was a newborn, which amazingly was a lot more than I got during the 4mo sleep regression.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 10, 2020

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

VanSandman posted:

You're probably also going through a sleep regression that isn't any fun at all. An incline will help a good deal.

Oh, drat, completely forgot about that impending sleep regression, too. :butt:

Thanks for the advice, all! I'll check with our pediatrician about the incline thing, since he has a checkup on deck, anyway. I think <5% is "safe?"

My wife and I are coming down with whatever he has, too, so that's fun.

life is killing me posted:

The 4mo sleep regression is the longest and nastiest one because of all the changes it brings about in baby's sleep and wake patterns. That was hell, and I wished frequently during that time that I was getting as much sleep as I was when ours was a newborn,

:stare:

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

In the vein of ‘every baby is different’, we barely noticed the 4mo regression. 6mo had a *lot* of middle of the night talking.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Never noticed the 4 mo regression because our baby didn't sleep til 8 months anyway.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
baby has learned that emitting loud, shrill noises will result in being draped over with a blanket, similar to an egregious cockatiel.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BadSamaritan posted:

In the vein of ‘every baby is different’, we barely noticed the 4mo regression. 6mo had a *lot* of middle of the night talking.

Yeah we had one lovely night around four months-he was up every hour. Smooth sailing until the next week though.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Same as others, didn't notice a 4 month but we are getting the 8-10 month one BAD. Object permanence changes the game. You mean to tell me, a baby, my parents have been out there the whole time after I go to bed???? What the gently caress!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
We’ve been going through the eight month regression for three weeks now and it’s brutal. I say so much dumb poo poo and forget everything all the time. I haven’t slept through the night for well over a year and my brain is total mush. I also perpetually feel like I’m coming down with a cold but so far I haven’t.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I think four months is about when I did sleep training for our youngest.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Koivunen posted:

We’ve been going through the eight month regression for three weeks now and it’s brutal. I say so much dumb poo poo and forget everything all the time. I haven’t slept through the night for well over a year and my brain is total mush. I also perpetually feel like I’m coming down with a cold but so far I haven’t.

This is us. Especially the eternally-on-the-verge-of-a-cold part

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I tried it at 4 months but I wasn't hardened to the crying yet and it broke my heart.

I think I did it at 10 months, 1 month into a regression because she started standing. We haven't had a regression since, but occasionally have bad nights that are definitely due to teething or this awful weird cold/infection going around regionally here.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Sarah posted:

I tried it at 4 months but I wasn't hardened to the crying yet and it broke my heart.

Yeah, I need sleep more than I like my kids.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

PerniciousKnid posted:

Huh? I thought that was impossible with babies that young.

Regarding sleep regressions, it's funny how everyone ITT seems intimately familiar with them yet I never heard of them outside of this thread. Must be an cultural thing? Anglo-American in that case? I can't even find a word for it in Swedish. I'm talking about the idea that there are certain fixed sleep regressions that parents should expect.

I did read a couple books and a lot of the "official" pediatric advice pages. Some of them mention that around 2-4 months old, most babies will adjust their schedule a bit (to sleep more at night and less at day), is that what you're calling a regression?
And around when they start to do something new, like crawl around the floor, they might have a lot to process and so have more dreams for a few weeks, that certainly happened to ours. But crawling will happen at so very different times for different babies, I don't know why the sleep regression should hit at 8 months?

I know we've been exceptionally lucky to have a baby who's generally been able to sleep the whole night since pretty early, but every time that we've had a period of poor sleep, I've been able to attribute it to something that is going on in her life. Teething, a cold, just learned to crawl, etc.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

PerniciousKnid posted:

Yeah, I need sleep more than I like my kids.

I've operated under this philosophy since my kid was born and it's helped him to be an extremely independent sleeper. He doesn't wake us up until his grow light turns on at 8. He actually let me sleep until 9 this morning.

To be honest, I think it's good for kids to understand that their parents' needs are important and ultimately benefit them in the long run. Knowing that they're not the only people in the world that matter is a really important lesson. Makes for less self-centered kids.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

On the other hand we've let our children run roughshod over us since they were born and we all sleep through the night fine (3yo, 14mo). Don't think I'd extrapolate out from that to make sweeping generalisations about how they turn out in the long-term though.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
We sleep trained at 4 months too. Love to sleep, and so does the bub. The regression has been rough bedtimes. They've been getting better though, we'd relaxed a bit on not rocking to sleep because she was going down so easy. Now we are putting her down wide awake and things are going better.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone have any tips for cleaning vomit off of a microsuede sofa? 4-year-old has her first flu... My wife tried the stuff for pet messes, so we'll see how that goes, but any other ideas would be helpful.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Yeah we did sleep training at 4 months too. We’ve had regressions since, but having a routine to go back to makes them somewhat more manageable.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

femcastra posted:

Yeah we did sleep training at 4 months too. We’ve had regressions since, but having a routine to go back to makes them somewhat more manageable.

Yeah, I think it helps a lot. We go through phases where we get when a lot, but it's just to sing a lullaby and set them back down.

The general priority list goes:
Kids needs
Parents needs
Parents wants
Kids wants

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

hooah posted:

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning vomit off of a microsuede sofa? 4-year-old has her first flu... My wife tried the stuff for pet messes, so we'll see how that goes, but any other ideas would be helpful.

Oxiclean or any other oxidizing cleaner might help. That's the major reactant in those pet cleaners. The acid in the vomit may have already stained it. As always check in a corner you don't mind covering up first.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
The moment I decided to have kids, my furniture was already dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Our mantra at home is "this is why we can't have nice things". But then again, we already had two cats so everything was more or less machine washable.