Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
The updates to Empire make for a fun experience. Now that they have their own unique resource, Prestige, I was thinking it could be used in interesting ways.

Take Empire Captains, a particularly boring hero (among the most barebones of hero types in the game) and give them a 'raise Prestige' ability. This would make them similar to nobles, where they could use the ability on empire armies and cities to help you confederate faster.

Target empire heroes, and you could spend Prestige for a % chance to gain direct control of that hero. So as you are waiting for confederation via fealty you could 'poach' their talent to your cause. And since the AI wouldn't get fealty you wouldn't have to worry about some belligerent empire faction swiping all your heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zikan posted:

What's a good skill point mod? I tried a mod that just give 2 skill points per level but I didn't like how I was getting through the tree insanely fast and had no sense of progression. I want something that's a little faster then vanilla but doesn't have me mashing the unspent skill points box 10 times at the end of every turn in the midgame.
I just recently started using "Balanced Skill Points" that gives Lords an extra point at 5, 10, 15 and so on, while giving agents an extra point every 10 levels. I like it because I dont want to break the game or be OP, I mainly just want the last few skills I want on my LLs. I figure I'm spending this much time on one campaign I might as well enjoy it more by getting a few more fun skills.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1640590932

Panfilo posted:

The updates to Empire make for a fun experience. Now that they have their own unique resource, Prestige, I was thinking it could be used in interesting ways.

Take Empire Captains, a particularly boring hero (among the most barebones of hero types in the game) and give them a 'raise Prestige' ability. This would make them similar to nobles, where they could use the ability on empire armies and cities to help you confederate faster.
This, but prestige per turn so its less pointing and clicking every turn.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

This is the one I use now and love it. Gets you a nice boost to your lords and heroes in the early game so it doesn't drag but doesn't cause any balance issues.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
captains having a skill point giving you bonus prestige per battle won would be nice.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
for the record empire captains are one of my favorite heros. two with karl, well equipped, make a wonderful beat squad air force

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
They're just really bland, especially compared to heroes that have some other strategic use (nobles) or great support abilities/auras. Thanes are even lamer, since they don't even get mount options either. They're just a single entity unit that functions as a secondary watered down lord in melee combat.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Thanks for the skill point mod recommendations. Picked up one, along with the improved auto resolve mod and the fix to certain factions being bugged to only build one army at a time.

Earlier in the thread, people were mentioning that the forces of order become Fantasy NATO unless you make it your explicit goal to break it up real early. The unnatural selection 2 mod is recommended to give disorder a fighting chance. Are there recommended settings or does it have defaults that work pretty well?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
They hated the orcs so much that they loved me for destroying them, but c'mon, I still had to use Plunge Into Chaos on that fat juicy Empire in my Eshin run. The game froze for a good 30 seconds processing all the settlements turning over to the rebels

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Woof, I'd have allied and done high elves. Its rare you get an in to the shield of order especially as rats.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I never had any interaction with HE at all in that campaign, since you start at literally the farthest east province on the map I never got that far west before finishing the short campaign victory about 140 turns.

In my Repanse game, when I started looking north, Eshin was in a military alliance with the drat dwarves! I think their start naturally funnels them into war with Crooked Moon and Black Crag so quickly they build up bonuses to overcome aversion by the time they run into the dawi

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Nice little UI mod to see your undercity/cove information in the province drop down menu.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
why is ikit such a bullshit merchant, I'm playing as Tiktaqto and my special ability is I get to drop a single rock, while ikit gets a literal nuclear bomb

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Rabelais D posted:

why is ikit such a bullshit merchant, I'm playing as Tiktaqto and my special ability is I get to drop a single rock, while ikit gets a literal nuclear bomb

I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and pterodactyl-borne stones.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Rabelais D posted:

The rocks are actually very very very good

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Rocks are very powerful

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Tbh you can more easily rock drop an entire front line than use the nuke in any useful way. I'm sure some people are able to snipe with the rocket but it's expensive and limited as opposed to rocks being plentiful in the Warhammer universe.

Drag your terradons into a long line and then just alt (ctrl?) Left click and drag them right on top of the offending army line, otherwise you have to get good at doing drive-bys.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Rabelais D posted:

He can at most drop 1 nuke every 5 turns IF he has the food and Warp Stone to build them; you can drop rocks, twice, every battle. Several battles in a single turn if you want; if Ikit does that he runs out of nukes real fast.

edit: Also, apparently, if you're facing the AI he only gets one nuke ever.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Does the cult of Sotek get something that lets them get lots and lots of carnisaurs early? I ended up in a war with them and learning that they had like 6 or 7 in a stack at turn 30 on normal.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gorelab posted:

Does the cult of Sotek get something that lets them get lots and lots of carnisaurs early? I ended up in a war with them and learning that they had like 6 or 7 in a stack at turn 30 on normal.

Rite of primeval glory allows Lizardmen faction to spawn a full stack of feral dinosaurs.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Oof. That's gonna be a pain to take down with my current skaven set up, I guess it's time to get some of the anti-large cannons.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
Eshin's faction destroying scheme is great because you can change the late game dynamics of a runaway faction. Reikland had more than 110 provinces at turn 130 but with a snap the entire north of the old world became a smear of rebel territories and balance was restored.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gorelab posted:

Oof. That's gonna be a pain to take down with my current skaven set up, I guess it's time to get some of the anti-large cannons.

I rarely find that anti-large cannons are effective in any faction, compared to ranged units.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

jokes posted:

I rarely find that anti-large cannons are effective in any faction, compared to ranged units.
Warp Lightning Cannons are pretty amazing, at least on Normal and Hard, for knocking out big things with small unit counts, or single entities. Well, they are in my experience, but I have not had to fight Dinos with them.

edit: Jezzails with Ratling Gunners in front of them arent bad idea either, though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

jokes posted:

Skaven and debateably Empire might be the exception.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They come into their own vs other humans. Gunners (that aren't jezzails) are a lot easier to avoid than cannons and humans actually try to not suicide their monsters, sometimes.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The Vampirate cannons are pretty good vs. monstrous infantry and cavalry, at least vs. the AI.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gorelab posted:

That rite is annoying bullshit definitely

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
There seems to be a bug where Skaven get the default unwalled map when attacked in a siege, at least when playing Ikit Claw. Took me until Ulthuan's gates to notice since I've always kept attacking first.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
CA hath spoken:

Hi everyone, just a quick update on the status of WARHAMMER II. We are aware of the bugs you guys have been reporting. We are currently working on a patch which will be released before the next WARHAMMER II DLC – however, please do keep in mind that most of the studio have been back for a week or even less, so while we’re doing our best, some of these bugs were introduced with the last DLC, and there hasn’t been much work time between then and now.

I am aware of the importance of some of these bugs, and I can reassure you that our development team are working hard (as always) to do their best to improve these. We’re aiming to get the patch out within the next few weeks, but development is always subject to change – so while I’m giving you the proposed timeline, I’m also asking for your understanding if this changes.

As for the rite of bankruptcy, try and dodge fighting the lizards until the full stack of expensive dinos destroy that factions economy and they start having to disband units.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Warp Lightning Cannons have splash damage, unlike other cannons. This makes them pretty much effective against anything.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Wait, the AI actually disbands units it can't afford?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Enigma posted:

Wait, the AI actually disbands units it can't afford?

Yep, it just also cheats a lot. The main factions can keep their dino stacks but the losers like Teclis and Khalids’e starting enemy (led by Mukip) will cheerfully summon the dinos and then either delete them or go bankrupt.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
My last two Vortex campaigns, an aborted pre-Hunter & BeastMalekith one and a new post-DLC Malekith one, saw every Skaven faction get wiped out without my input. The Blessed Dread were wiped out before I could contact them. The Followers of Sotek have most of southern Lustria. Hexoatl seemed to get beat up pretty badly before, but they do well the last few patches.

For hybrid lords with huge skill trees like Malekith, Ikit, and Manfred, what do you think is essential, and what do you avoid?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Malekith I avoid going heavy in magic but I am a big blue nerd who loves his lightning strike and upkeep reduction.

I often regret not going yellow cause his gaze ability is pretty good. I normally only get enough red for darkshards or basic troops.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Dr Christmas posted:

For hybrid lords with huge skill trees like Malekith, Ikit, and Manfred, what do you think is essential, and what do you avoid?

For most of them, I identify one or two spells that are the standouts for their lore and get those early. This lets you use the winds of magic. After that, I'll tend to go red or yellow depending on the lord.

For Mannfred, he has access to two incredible lores of magic, so I just build him like a full caster and rely on his naturally high vampire stats to carry him through combat

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yep, it just also cheats a lot. The main factions can keep their dino stacks but the losers like Teclis and Khalids’e starting enemy (led by Mukip) will cheerfully summon the dinos and then either delete them or go bankrupt.

Its hosed up because Mukip is a good player and I dont think he'd make such a silly mistake. Yet apparently, its now canon!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Third World Reagan posted:

Malekith I avoid going heavy in magic but I am a big blue nerd who loves his lightning strike and upkeep reduction.

I often regret not going yellow cause his gaze ability is pretty good. I normally only get enough red for darkshards or basic troops.

Malekith is impossible to build badly, but I'd go route marcher, magic up to soul stealer, and then preference between his uniques (president or punchman choices), red tree focusing elites and crossbows, or full blue, of course with lightning strike and -upkeep into the end skill.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Depends on your priorities for the Lord and the offerings from the unique Lord skills and the racial/faction blue line. I usually prioritize any good blue line that makes empire upkeep significantly better and then want my Lords/Heroes to be better at combat so yellow is next. Ikit and most Skaven are hard pressed to not go down their blue line, +30% Ambush into better recruiting into Lightning Strike and huge upkeep savings is amazing. Then Ikit has a yellow that leads to either "spells boost your damage" or "spells heal you forever, no regen cap" and these are so astoundingly good if Ikit sees any combat(and he becomes a Doomwheel, so..) that you can't ignore them. From there I bumped Ikit's red line because unless you make a colossal mistake in a single battle his artillery line should survive to gold chevs and benefit immensely from the buffs. I ended up ignoring his spell line because he lends himself to spamming Warp Lightning and my spell casting style tends to be having 1-2 reliable spells per caster and using them for clutch momentum swings, usually a reliable nuke and a strong buff or debuff.

Overall I follow a priority on all lords of +10% Move speed, Amazing Blue Line, Amazing Yellow Line, Amazing One-Offs, Good Blue/Lightning Strike, Good Yellows(Combat Lord), Good Spell-Casting Tree, Good Yellows, Red Line, Weak Blue(Dwarves, parts of Vamp Counts, etc), the Rest. I usually expect a lot of personal fighting from my Lords and Heroes so I consider +Melee Defense/Attack to be a big deal. Red Line also loses value later on if you're not theming that lord's army consistently, keeping high rank troops alive or don't have buildings/policies/passives to recruit at high rank, although if you reach the second group you're right next to the amazing AoE +Melee Defense buff for Rally. And not all Blue Lines are equal, Dwarves for example are a pretty dull set of early choices where I settle on +Underway Interception to foil Orcs/Skaven more often and +Untainted because eh, ME and Chaos Corruption? Compared to +30% Ambush to Skavens passive Ambush movement that's a grudgin'. A crummy price to pay for Lightning Strike but ah well.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Malekith is impossible to build badly, but I'd go route marcher, magic up to soul stealer, and then preference between his uniques (president or punchman choices), red tree focusing elites and crossbows, or full blue, of course with lightning strike and -upkeep into the end skill.

Brb building malekith to buff light cav, lower recruitment costs, and ride a cold one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Mannfred can do anything you want him to but the only reason you shouldn't head straight for Wind of Death after Route Marcher is if you plan to stack necromancers. Master of the Black Arts is to Arcane Conduit as Vampire heroes are to most other heroes.

I wouldn't bother with any mounts other than his dragon but the Hellsteed is less of a fire magnet.