Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I have $0.01 leftover in a Rollover IRA from 2 years ago. I am fairly certain the only reason I cannot "hide" that account on Fidelity is because it does not have a $0.0000000000000000000000000 balance, and it is driving me nuts.

There should be 0 issues in throwing that penny into my Roth this year, right? Or can I just withdraw it / otherwise get rid of it and pay a penalty on (lol) $0.01?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Tax calculations are rounded to the nearest $1, withdraw and spend that penny worry-free.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Is there a good spot to learn about private stock options, IPOs and valuations?

A lot of my other financial needs are covered. I'm really curious about them and my company is doing well. There are IPO rumors so I just want to have a giggle at what could be, and also want to be informed. We're a 15 year old middleware tech company. With my current financial goals I won't be buying any gambling shares.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 7, 2020

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

cheese eats mouse posted:

Is there a good spot to learn about private stock options, IPOs and valuations?

https://github.com/jlevy/og-equity-compensation

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

withak posted:

Tax calculations are rounded to the nearest $1, withdraw and spend that penny worry-free.

Fun fact, Fidelity has a minimum on this. You will first need to deposit more money. :v: This is why my brokerage account sat for the better part of a decade with less than a dollar in it. Sometimes it would earn a penny!

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Honestly, I've always found it a little strange that people seem to focus on how much they have to save, like it is some torture to not spend every penny, rather than focus on why they buy the poo poo they do.

Some people do not have or make much, and I get that saving is legitimately difficult for some. But so many of these cases could probably be better addressed as, "Why are you spending $80,000 a year on luxury items" rather than why aren't you saving more.

We could do to look at our consumerism. So much poo poo gets bought and used once or twice as a novelty.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
I know on a 30 year time frame whatever's about to go down in the market is a rounding error but I'm still pretty glad I didn't fund my IRA on 1/1.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eldred posted:

I know on a 30 year time frame whatever's about to go down in the market is a rounding error but I'm still pretty glad I didn't fund my IRA on 1/1.

That week off waiting for funds to clear and roll to a Roth had be ok for sure

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

SlyFrog posted:

We could do to look at our consumerism. So much poo poo gets bought and used once or twice as a novelty.

My family is a prime example of this. Every time I visit them on holidays they have more and more expensive poo poo that they just do not use but won’t throw away or sell.

Like did you really need to put the six flavor soda fountain machine in the pantry, which was then not used because the off brand syrups didn’t taste right and you only used two flavors anyway. And now the equipment is all damaged because it was never cleaned and all the syrups went bad? Oh, this will be my mess to deal with when you die of diabetes? Thanks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Astro7x posted:

My family is a prime example of this. Every time I visit them on holidays they have more and more expensive poo poo that they just do not use but won’t throw away or sell.

Like did you really need to put the six flavor soda fountain machine in the pantry, which was then not used because the off brand syrups didn’t taste right and you only used two flavors anyway. And now the equipment is all damaged because it was never cleaned and all the syrups went bad? Oh, this will be my mess to deal with when you die of diabetes? Thanks.

That might be the boomeriest thing I've read all week.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

SlyFrog posted:

Honestly, I've always found it a little strange that people seem to focus on how much they have to save, like it is some torture to not spend every penny, rather than focus on why they buy the poo poo they do.

Some people do not have or make much, and I get that saving is legitimately difficult for some. But so many of these cases could probably be better addressed as, "Why are you spending $80,000 a year on luxury items" rather than why aren't you saving more.

I was just surprised and not sure how to respond to a uniform consensus of "if you're not maxing out every retirement account, don't even think about a condo." Maybe you weren't directing this at me, but I was the only one asking about this...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They banned plastic bags here a few years ago and I bought a tote bag. Since then I've somehow amassed like 20 totes bags and I don't know how. I thought tote bags were about saving the environment but I think we're just creating new problems now. There really is just too much stuff.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I was just surprised and not sure how to respond to a uniform consensus of "if you're not maxing out every retirement account, don't even think about a condo." Maybe you weren't directing this at me, but I was the only one asking about this...

I don't think any of us were suggesting that.

quote:

Right now, my spouse and I are maxing our Roth IRAs and hitting employer match on 401k/403b accounts, and we've been throwing everything beyond that and our emergency fund into VASGX because . We've paid off all our debt. Now that we've found real jobs in our 30s and all of a sudden that taxable account is growing, we're thinking about buying property in the next couple years.

I read that as we save for retirement and then just throw some more in a taxable account just because. Then you realize years later that "hey I have a lot of money in there, maybe I should buy a house!". I didn't read it as you were saving that money with the initial plan of buying property.

That is why I questioned you about maxing out your 401k. I don't have any issues with what you are doing if you intended the savings to be for the property in general.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Mu Zeta posted:

They banned plastic bags here a few years ago and I bought a tote bag. Since then I've somehow amassed like 20 totes bags and I don't know how. I thought tote bags were about saving the environment but I think we're just creating new problems now. There really is just too much stuff.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2019/04/09/711181385/are-plastic-bag-bans-garbage

Apparently they were always a problem.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Nope, not directed at you in any way - wasn't taking a shot at you or anything.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

The 20.000 reuses required figure is bullshit and talks about impacts on the ozone layer with apparently little regard for the uncertainties involved.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SlyFrog posted:

That's been my approach pretty much. It's not that I have to save $X every month, I just don't buy useless poo poo and save whatever's left, which it turns out is quite a bit. Helps being single and not having to spend money on dinner dates and what not but that's another story...

And this is probably how I ended up with an 18 year old Miata and a 7 year old gaming computer but honestly trying to min-max the value is more fun than just dropping a ton of cash on new stuff.

Eldred posted:

Made a huge (for me) lump sum purchase just after Christmas :owned: lol

Struensee posted:

The 20.000 reuses required figure is bullshit and talks about impacts on the ozone layer with apparently little regard for the uncertainties involved.
20000 uses is probably bullshit but from experience I rarely get more than a few uses out of the much more expensive bags. Thankfully they didn't (yet) fully ban them, the stores just can't give you them for free. While I still buy trash bags, plastic grocery bags get used to collect random crap around the house and then get thrown out so they're re-usable in a sense.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Eldred posted:

One benefit of funding it on 1/1 is that it removes the burden of choice. Now no matter how the market shakes out afterwards, I can look at the timing of my initial purchase as being out of my hands. If I got to choose when to do it, then I'll probably keep looking back and asking what if I had chosen to buy it at a slightly different time.

Also, the market is up right now so who knows what the gently caress is going on.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Thanks for this! Very awesome read.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

It's not "don't own a house until you max out retirements". You guys seem to be saving a very good amount so you do you, and life is ultimately not just an exercise in finance optimization. I think some of us just wanted to point out that maxing out your retirement accounts and saving an even larger amount (at a higher rate than is needed for your eventual retirement) early on will pay enormous dividends down the road regardless of whether you want to retire early or not. It's perfectly valid to decide that that's not for you, but you should at least know what you are turning down.

And then we got into a consuming vs saving tangent. Basically, mindfully consume and mindlessly save, not the other way around.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Astro7x posted:

I could write an entire "bad with money" thread about my in-laws full of examples like this. My wife and I both felt oddly irritated after leaving Uncut Gems.

Off the top of my head...a deceased brother's Corvette that never gets driven, a two person dry sauna that was used twice, about 200 German steins that were somehow thought of as "investment pieces", etc etc. No, they don't have any retirement savings in their mid-60s for a variety of circumstances. Yes, they are both driving cars they can't afford.

resident fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 8, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

resident posted:

I could write an entire "bad with money" thread about my in-laws full of examples like this. My wife and I both felt oddly irritated after leaving Uncut Gems.

Off the top of my head...a deceased brother's Corvette that never gets driven, a two person dry sauna that was used twice, about 200 German steins that were somehow thought of as "investment pieces", etc etc. No, they don't have any retirement savings in their mid-60s for a variety of circumstances. Yes, they are both driving cars they can't afford.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878671 ...go on

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Good news for your retirement prospects, everyone! Hope your 409ks are maxed out!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1215285845336502272

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I live in Illinois so my 420k is doing pretty good.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Main Paineframe posted:

Good news for your retirement prospects, everyone! Hope your 409ks are maxed out!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1215285845336502272

What did it say?!? Already removed...

E: "STOCK MARKET AT ALL-TIME HIGH! HOW ARE YOUR 409K'S DOING? 70%, 80%, 90% up? Only 50% up! What are you doing wrong?"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

spwrozek posted:

What did it say?!? Already removed...

E: "STOCK MARKET AT ALL-TIME HIGH! HOW ARE YOUR 409K'S DOING? 70%, 80%, 90% up? Only 50% up! What are you doing wrong?"
I have a screenshot:

I guess we should just give up.

Is there even an index that is up 50%?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Compared to some arbitrary thing, sure

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

SlyFrog posted:

Let me tell you, I have that kind of mentality of only buying what I need, but once you have a kid it goes out the window. Sometimes I look around at the piles of baby toys and various other stuff for the baby and my eye starts twitching. I have so much junk in my house. Part of this is all of our friends passing their stuff on to us, so we have duplicates or triplicates of some stuff. My cousin is having a kid in May, so I'm about to inflict all this stuff on to her and I will be immensely happier for it.

My wife and I are the living example of what it's like to grow up poor vs. upper middle class. I grew up in a family that never worried about money, not rich, but we lived in a good house, and if something broke, my parents never had to sweat on how to pay for it. My wife though, grew up in a household that was always on the brink of disaster, and her mom is still just barely getting by. Mother-in-law's house will never be paid off because they keep pulling money out, all while the house loses value because it's in a crappy suburb where people are leaving.

So I tend to spend somewhat frugally, only buying what I really need, waiting for things to break before upgrading, etc. My wife has gotten better, but now that she actually has savings, she finds it hard to resist the urge to just go buy stuff. This is a common issue with people who grew up broke, once you get some money, you have to spend it, otherwise some emergency will come up and that money will be gone. My only bad habit is not getting rid of stuff that really has outlived its usefulness.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I was really hoping that tweet got deleted because someone in his circle managed to convince him "hey this means nothing and makes you look stupid and a little unhinged" but then I realized it's probably because it says "409k"

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Let me tell you, I have that kind of mentality of only buying what I need, but once you have a kid it goes out the window. Sometimes I look around at the piles of baby toys and various other stuff for the baby and my eye starts twitching. I have so much junk in my house. Part of this is all of our friends passing their stuff on to us, so we have duplicates or triplicates of some stuff. My cousin is having a kid in May, so I'm about to inflict all this stuff on to her and I will be immensely happier for it.

My wife and I are the living example of what it's like to grow up poor vs. upper middle class. I grew up in a family that never worried about money, not rich, but we lived in a good house, and if something broke, my parents never had to sweat on how to pay for it. My wife though, grew up in a household that was always on the brink of disaster, and her mom is still just barely getting by. Mother-in-law's house will never be paid off because they keep pulling money out, all while the house loses value because it's in a crappy suburb where people are leaving.

So I tend to spend somewhat frugally, only buying what I really need, waiting for things to break before upgrading, etc. My wife has gotten better, but now that she actually has savings, she finds it hard to resist the urge to just go buy stuff. This is a common issue with people who grew up broke, once you get some money, you have to spend it, otherwise some emergency will come up and that money will be gone. My only bad habit is not getting rid of stuff that really has outlived its usefulness.

I grew up broke, but I grew up with parents who lived within their means while poor.

I mean there were some disadvantages for that. Going for a Sunday afternoon drive, and having them always want to drive to the part of town where the "nice houses" were to look at how the better half lives, and then telling me, "These aren't for us," is kind of depressing, in hind sight.

However, I think that type of constant reinforcement that, "We're poor, and we have to be very careful with our money and can't afford nice things," is what also kept me from being a "Yes, I make $30k per year, of course I can make payments on a $500,000 mortgage," type of person.

My ex-wife, however, was much more like your wife sounds. Having money meant you should spend it. I don't completely buy the purported explanation that is often given though, that you spend it right away or some emergency will take it. That seems like a convenient rationalization by people who like to spend money (I've heard it before, believe me).

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 9, 2020

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
My wife and I have resisted the baby buying spree so far but lol if you don't get weird reactions when your registry is only like 10 things and a link to a 529.

Used baby stuff is also *great* for saving money. Highly recommend the local CL and eBay.

Might change when the little one gets bigger but our strategy is to try to only buy when there is a need right now. The store is a 20 minute drive and Amazon is overnight, no need to rush out and buy something we won't even use for 6 months to a year.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

My wife and I have resisted the baby buying spree so far but lol if you don't get weird reactions when your registry is only like 10 things and a link to a 529.

Used baby stuff is also *great* for saving money. Highly recommend the local CL and eBay.

Might change when the little one gets bigger but our strategy is to try to only buy when there is a need right now. The store is a 20 minute drive and Amazon is overnight, no need to rush out and buy something we won't even use for 6 months to a year.

Seriously. My kids are 2 and I don't think we've bought any brand new clothes for them. We only buy from resale places so far, and we've received a lot of hand me downs. That stuff we will buy further out, like buying winter jackets in February for the following year, but that's just due to the resale places fire selling the stuff at the end of seasons. They have plenty of new poo poo from family gifts, but that makes the family happy so it's cool. We largely don't even buy much for birthday or christmas because of how much poo poo they get from others. Great grandma sent each kid $100? New car seats! All of our outdoor toys (plastic slide, toddler trampoline, etc) has all been from facebook market place.

Seeing the price tag on new clothes for kids that will out grow it in 3-6 months is crazy to me.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
The money isn't the clothes or toys

It is the diapers and wipes, formula (if not breastfed), the $300 car seat (and then the $400 one you have to buy when they're like 6-8 months old) and the stroller.

The biggest cost driver is childcare - daycare or a nanny are extraordinarily expensive and not something I'd ever consider skimping on.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 10, 2020

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Edit: What thread is this? Sorry.

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 10, 2020

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

How many babies do you have to buy to constitute a spree? And what do you do with them once they’re yours?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

We have a baby coming any day now. We did the Amazon registry and found that you can actually return items without the gift giver knowing. Since my family is incapable of understanding the concept of saving and investing money for later, we put a few fancy and expensive items in there that they insisted they wanted to buy for us and would probably not give any gifts unless we agreed to receive those specific ones. We intend to return about $600 worth of dumb poo poo and toss that money into the 529.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I couldn’t convince my wife to not register for our wedding. She’s convinced people want to buy you poo poo you’ll use a handful of times a year.

I guess I got some nice whiskey glasses out of it.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Animal posted:

We have a baby coming any day now. We did the Amazon registry and found that you can actually return items without the gift giver knowing. Since my family is incapable of understanding the concept of saving and investing money for later, we put a few fancy and expensive items in there that they insisted they wanted to buy for us and would probably not give any gifts unless we agreed to receive those specific ones. We intend to return about $600 worth of dumb poo poo and toss that money into the 529.
This is some next level poo poo. I love it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Haha we've returned a ton of crap but I never thought you launder baby dollars through Amazon intentionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Animal posted:

Register for a Snoo, use it, and sell it afterwards for almost as much as they bought it for you. You'll thank me later. Or rent one with that money.