Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Daric posted:

Yeah I don’t know that I’d call what he did cheating. He shouldn’t have swept the sand, he got caught

Daric posted:

If he’d made a 7 on a hole and was like “I’m going to write down a 6” then yeah, I’d call that cheating.

How are these two things effectively not the same?

If it is against the rules, it is cheating. And there is no defence around not knowing the rules if you compete professionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Yeah I'm obviously a bit biased here in that I've met Patrick a few times and like him personally, but I am aware of how the things he does look to the outside world. I am also aware that Justine running his social media and sending out Cease and Desists is not a good look. But the PGA investigated and both Slugger and Jay Monahan agree that they don't think he was intentionally cheating. So on one side you have a bunch of fans saying he was cheating and asking him to take a harsher punishment and on the other side you have the governing body of the sport going "we believe you, it's a 2-shot penalty". Which party do you think he's going to listen to?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Theophany posted:

How are these two things effectively not the same?

If it is against the rules, it is cheating. And there is no defence around not knowing the rules if you compete professionally.

The penalty for sweeping the club back and inadvertently improving his lie is a stroke penalty, and that is what he was assessed. Intentionally improving his lie can result in a disqualification. They didn't find that, or at least did not give that punishment.

One is cheating, one is incurring a.penalty. again, Johnson grounding his club at the US Open was a penalty, no one thought he was cheating.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Daric posted:

Yeah I'm obviously a bit biased here in that I've met Patrick a few times and like him personally, but I am aware of how the things he does look to the outside world. I am also aware that Justine running his social media and sending out Cease and Desists is not a good look. But the PGA investigated and both Slugger and Jay Monahan agree that they don't think he was intentionally cheating. So on one side you have a bunch of fans saying he was cheating and asking him to take a harsher punishment and on the other side you have the governing body of the sport going "we believe you, it's a 2-shot penalty". Which party do you think he's going to listen to?

He's not your friend. He's a cheater.

I don't care what the PGA says. They only ruled that way because they aren't, understandably, in the business of trying to scientifically quantify intention. However everyone else can see it plain as day.

He does it not once... but twice. And it's clearly noticeable that he's moving the sand both times. And he's looking at the ball.

Even if he did it by accident (narrator: he didn't) he's ALSO cheating by not making it aware to an official that he moved the sand which is also one of his duties.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

BonoMan posted:

He's not your friend. He's a cheater.

These things are not mutually exclusive, you know that right?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Daric posted:

These things are not mutually exclusive, you know that right?

What I'm saying is that you met him a few times. He's not your friend. Definitely you don't know him well enough to be swayed from his intention here.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

BonoMan posted:

What I'm saying is that you met him a few times. He's not your friend. Definitely you don't know him well enough to be swayed from his intention here.

I'm not claiming to know his intention, I'm saying that everyone involved with the PGA tour has talked to him and THEY trust his intention.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Daric posted:

I'm not claiming to know his intention, I'm saying that everyone involved with the PGA tour has talked to him and THEY trust his intention.

Dude I'm just razzing you for saying meeting him a few times was somehow enough to make you biased.

edit: But on a serious note. I seriously doubt they trust his intention. More like they couldn't prove it quantifiably. I mean watch the video again. He does it twice very clearly. Dude cheated.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

BonoMan posted:

Dude I'm just razzing you for saying meeting him a few times was somehow enough to make you biased.

edit: But on a serious note. I seriously doubt they trust his intention. More like they couldn't prove it quantifiably. I mean watch the video again. He does it twice very clearly. Dude cheated.

Well it wasn’t just meeting him a few times, his caddy has been one of my best friends for 25 years. Justine drove me to golf practice every day for 2 years in high school. So there’s a slight bias there.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Daric posted:

Well it wasn’t just meeting him a few times, his caddy has been one of my best friends for 25 years. Justine drove me to golf practice every day for 2 years in high school. So there’s a slight bias there.

Ok gotcha.

He still cheated.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
golf rules are loving stupid and you should be able to smooosh out the sand on your backswing. :colbert:

#PACEOFPLAY

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Daric posted:

He should just embrace the Heel role complete with a little cheat wrestler logo on his golf shirt, sell thousands of them, donate proceeds to charity, and have the last laugh.

Tell him to hire me as his P.R. guy next time you talk.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Mr. Mambold posted:

He should just embrace the Heel role complete with a little cheat wrestler logo on his golf shirt, sell thousands of them, donate proceeds to charity, and have the last laugh.

Tell him to hire me as his P.R. guy next time you talk.

I have been telling Kessler non-stop that he needs a PR guy and he agrees, but Justine runs the show.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
On a different topic, I've been hitting 50-100 balls a night with the Rapsodo R-Motion in my garage and it's working perfectly. I'm very glad I decided not to return it. I still need to take it out to the range and make sure everything lines up with what I'm seeing in the simulator but I believe it's correct.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I hope he doesn't hire a PR guy because making fun of him on the internet is fun and golfers are generally extremely boring anyway

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah the tour needs to become way less PR managed. poo poo like taking down the video of Rahm blowing up his caddy after trying to hit a 100 yard roping hook out of the trap last year. That was gold and it just vanished because everyone has to remain a professional class act at all times.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

AndrewP posted:

I hope he doesn't hire a PR guy because making fun of him on the internet is fun and golfers are generally extremely boring anyway

No, you see he needs a good PR guy. A good PR guy keeps the client interesting and in the public eye. The only way for Reed to do that is full mustache twirling villain, and man we need that in the PGA.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Jesus, Ryan Palmer is making an rear end of himself. Hits a ball that is clearly in danger of/likely to be OB. Hit the loving provisional. Nope, 5 minute walk to ball area. Three minute search. Five minute hike back. Hits another ball.

Just like every 15 handicapper on a crowded weekend.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

torgeaux posted:

No, you see he needs a good PR guy. A good PR guy keeps the client interesting and in the public eye. The only way for Reed to do that is full mustache twirling villain, and man we need that in the PGA.

Don't kid yourself. It's still Vijay Singh. Reed is on course to take the crown, but Vijay's had decades of dickishness.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Poulter is a better villain and internet troll than either Vijay or Paddy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah Ian Poulter is a god tier troll

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Im going to join the tour and demand they let me do the hakka before every tee

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Poulter is European tour, though, right? Otherwise, I'm with you on his position.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Poulter is European tour, though, right? Otherwise, I'm with you on his position.

He won in 2018 so he's fully exempt on the PGA Tour.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

He won in 2018 so he's fully exempt on the PGA Tour.

I know, he just doesn't play many events, he's primarily on the Euro Tour.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

I know, he just doesn't play many events, he's primarily on the Euro Tour.

He played 11 PGA Tour events last year and 8 European Tour events. I’m excluding WGC and Majors because those count on both tours. Dude lives in Florida

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

He played 11 PGA Tour events last year and 8 European Tour events. I’m excluding WGC and Majors because those count on both tours. Dude lives in Florida

Wow. Given he's someone who makes a field better, that's a real surprise to me that I didn't notice how much he was playing here.

19, plus 4 majors, plus how many WGC? Just curious how many events he's playing a year now.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I've decided to go ahead and combine all of my hobbies so I'm going to start filming some videos about the different courses around town and talking about their history. I was planning on using my drone but wasn't sure how I wanted to use my regular camera until I realized that the umbrella holder mount on my ClicGear is the same screw size as a tripod. So I got a double ended screw and a ball head camera mount and now my camera can ride on the top of my push cart and record. And my clubs don't show up in the shot even at the widest angle. It's perfect.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Daric posted:

I've decided to go ahead and combine all of my hobbies so I'm going to start filming some videos about the different courses around town and talking about their history. I was planning on using my drone but wasn't sure how I wanted to use my regular camera until I realized that the umbrella holder mount on my ClicGear is the same screw size as a tripod. So I got a double ended screw and a ball head camera mount and now my camera can ride on the top of my push cart and record. And my clubs don't show up in the shot even at the widest angle. It's perfect.

Beautiful. I take my good camera when I play alone, but for stills. I've been tempted to take the drone, but I'm not good enough yet.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Wow. Given he's someone who makes a field better, that's a real surprise to me that I didn't notice how much he was playing here.

19, plus 4 majors, plus how many WGC? Just curious how many events he's playing a year now.

3 or 4, so he's playing pretty much every other week.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

3 or 4, so he's playing pretty much every other week.

Funny he doesn't pop in my radar like Reed does. US media, I guess.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ia...golf-clubs-saga

Hepnotic
Jan 23, 2003
optional; no images are allowed, only text
I couldn’t find a Golf thread in YLS, so hopefully this isn’t too out of place, but i’m sellin a Bushnell Tour V4 Shift rangefinder. I’ll do a discount for goons.

https://offerup.co/gLNXoRVZq3

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So, I'm continuing to play rounds with irons only off the tee. Took out my 3 and 4 hybrids and put my 19 and 21 degree 3 and 4 irons back in.

I can't get scientific results because of frozen fairways, but today I was careful to watch how far the carry was. I'm not sure I'm giving much up hitting 3 iron instead of driver. 30+ yards in ideal shot versus ideal shot, but I'm nailing fairways which gives me better approaches and keeps the distance differential down, too.

I'm going to keep this load out for a few rounds.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I can't hit these cheapo top flite hybrids for poo poo, buying a cheap 4 iron to work with until i get an actual fitting

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I cannot watch Jon Rahm without thinking of Denis Ménochet in Inglorious Basterds.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Is there any discernable different between a 19 degree and 21 degree iron? Seems like the gaps would be too close.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Dr. Capco posted:

Is there any discernable different between a 19 degree and 21 degree iron? Seems like the gaps would be too close.

I don't know, really, but it's the same with my cobra f7s. They are 18 and 20, my old CG16s are 19 and 21 (which is what I'm using, since I don't have a 3 and 4 in my cobras).

A quick glance shows several sets by other manufacturers with similar close gapping at the 3/4 level.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

There should still be a gap if your ball speed, spin, and launch numbers are all good. Only a pretty small minority of amateurs check those boxes though. I only ever liked an 18 degree iron off a tee and that makes it too one dimensional for me to use one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

There should still be a gap if your ball speed, spin, and launch numbers are all good. Only a pretty small minority of amateurs check those boxes though. I only ever liked an 18 degree iron off a tee and that makes it too one dimensional for me to use one.

I actually love the 3 off the deck, but man I cannot do anything with any amount of rough other than if it's perched on top of it. It's why the 3 hybrid came in. Problem for me is, I cannot, cannot, hit a hybrid straight with any real predictability. I always have some amount of draw...but I can hit them off the tee, deck, or rough, so it's a trade off.

Likely result? I'm going to put the 3 hybrid back in, keep the 4 iron instead of the 4 hybrid. I need some time to dial in distances, though.