Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

You're better off directly ordering from amazon.co.jp and than buying directly from the us sweet distributor.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01M5IE65S/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=ス&%2312452;&%2312540;&%2312488;1%2F144&qid=1578265675&sr=8-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
There's a lot of planes with the same style packaging, but it looks like only the ones that say flight crew (zero / hellcat) include the wee cats, correct?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Check through 1999 for any that actually say cats in the title. The two I linked earlier have cats, but there are other flight deck kits that don't include them.

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Oh god the bowtie. Please tell me that's a decal.

Unfortunately, that specific figure isn't included in the kit I have, so I can't tell.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I'm going to believe it is because what madman paints that in 1/144.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
There's definitely a bowtie cat on the Wildcat sprue, and that one's definitely hand painted.

It wouldn't be that hard, comparatively speaking. It's a bigger target than painting the eyes on pretty much any scale human, and you could just drag your brush out from the center for the color fields. Fiddly as all get-out, sure, but doable.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I borrowed a stereo microscope from work on a long-term basis. After a year or so, they started asking about it, so I ended up buying my own. For detail work, it was a great investment. Pretty much every part of the cockpits I do are done under the microscope. I don't have the most steady hands in the world, but under the microscope, they become very steady. Maybe some sort of hand-eye feedback loop that improves under high magnification.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SkunkDuster posted:

I borrowed a stereo microscope from work on a long-term basis. After a year or so, they started asking about it, so I ended up buying my own. For detail work, it was a great investment. Pretty much every part of the cockpits I do are done under the microscope. I don't have the most steady hands in the world, but under the microscope, they become very steady. Maybe some sort of hand-eye feedback loop that improves under high magnification.

Link to the model of microscope you bought? I'd be very interested in something like this.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Yeah same.

Although maybe not since I'd probably use it to do something stupid like add even more detail to a 1/144 cockpit

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The rust changed very drastically on the tank after I sprayed matte varnish. I still like how it looks, but I miss the bright ginger hues.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

This is the one I have, except I'm pretty sure when I bought it two years ago it was in the $350 range and came with eye cups. Now it is $429 and it looks like you have to buy the eye cups separately for another $13. You can get something cheaper like this one, but it doesn't have the zoom objective which would be a deal breaker for me because I use that all the time.

I tried to take a picture of a 1/48 Apache cockpit showing what it looks like under magnification, but it really doesn't give a good sense of scale. Partially because I am zoomed in with my camera on the cockpit which makes it look bigger, and the magnified part doesn't really have any reference. You'll just have to imagine a circular area a little smaller than a 1/4" (6mm) in diameter taking up your entire field of vision.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Here's another picture I had handy of the 1/32 P-40E Warhawk I'm currently building. Pretty much everything in the lower half of the picture was done under the microscope. The gauges and placards are painted photoetch, but the knobs, dials and (probably very historically inaccurate) chrome bezels on the instrument cluster were all done by hand.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Any details on how you're powering this?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
A friend of mine is a F/A 18 WSO in the Marines and I'd like to build his aircraft as a gift. What would be a good kit? I'm not sure if I want to build it 1/72 or 1/48. I'd say I'm medium-skilled so I reckon I could go for Tamiya-level quality, but probably not Eduard (ie: no photo-etching or things like that). Also is there a place where I can find quality decal sets? I'm not sure his particular squadron would come with a typical kit.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Super 3 posted:

Any details on how you're powering this?

Just a DC power brick. I mounted a female DC Jack on the bottom hull of the ship on the side facing away from the intended outer facing display side. Then the cord with inline switch plugs into that. With the low-slung nature of the display stands it will sit on, you can't even really tell there is a cord there.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
A few more quick pics. Put down the Permatex to hold the fibers in place, and block up the leftover space in each drilled hole. Snipped the fibers a bit shorter, and will leave them this length until after I spray the final color, when I'll then snip them to their final length flush with the hull.

And a quick lighting test.

Here's the power solution as mentioned before. The mainboard, connected to the port mounted on the hull.

And the outer DC jack connection. I'll block up the hole on the jack when I do the final spray, so the outer chrome ring on it will be painted and better blend with the hull.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Badger 's 56th birthday special is up, $82 with shipping to Canada for any airbrush, which is pretty good compared to retail. Anything I should be looking at specifically if I already have an airbrush that's kind of okay (Paasche Talon)?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The Patriot 105 is one of the most highly regarded airbrushes out there, can't go wrong with that one. The 105 Extreme is great as well, same brush with a few upgrades. The Extreme also comes standard with a 0.3 needle and tip, which is my sweet spot for general duty use. Although I do have to say that needle/tip sizes are kind of arbitrary, especially when comparing between vendors. My H&S at 0.2 sprays the same as my Iwata at 0.35, and the H&S at 0.4 sprays the same as my Paasche at 0.6.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The Patriot 105 is one of the most highly regarded airbrushes out there, can't go wrong with that one. The 105 Extreme is great as well, same brush with a few upgrades. The Extreme also comes standard with a 0.3 needle and tip, which is my sweet spot for general duty use. Although I do have to say that needle/tip sizes are kind of arbitrary, especially when comparing between vendors. My H&S at 0.2 sprays the same as my Iwata at 0.35, and the H&S at 0.4 sprays the same as my Paasche at 0.6.

Thanks! What kind of hose does it use?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I got a Silhouette Cameo 4 vinyl cutter and used it to make some roundel stencils/masks for the P-40 Warhawk I'm working on. It went okay for a first try and I learned some things that should improve future tries. Anyway, I made a video about it if you guys are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZZcyCD8K14

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I painted something that isn't a tank. Much smaller than what I usually go for, about 1:48 scale.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ensign Expendable posted:

Not sure really, Badger is the one brand I don't own.

You can get just about any adapter and hose at Maple Airbrush Supplies though. Great canadian shop for all things airbrush.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Wait, is that Minsc?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Fearless posted:

Wait, is that Minsc?

Yup, officially licensed Minsc and Boo.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
I did some inhalants, then came here to see the models.
Don't tell me I've done this wrong too.

Please enjoy what I found on the Internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yJsgbZ4wUo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjMBab-gVnA

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Badger 's 56th birthday special is up, $82 with shipping to Canada for any airbrush, which is pretty good compared to retail. Anything I should be looking at specifically if I already have an airbrush that's kind of okay (Paasche Talon)?

The best part is when your airbrush is finally delivered just before the 57th birthday!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Do not purchase a Patriot 105 from the birthday sale, after shipping it ends up being the same price as you can get them on sale from other places with fast free shipping.

If you want something fancy like a krome or sotar and are willing to wait months for it then it’s a good deal.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

What Bucnasti said, but when you do eventually purchase it, you want this if you're weird and don't like QD adapters, or this if you are right-thinking. Those part numbers should be the same regardless of your vendor.

Badger uses a weird connector size because buy our special hose I guess??

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Bucnasti posted:

Do not purchase a Patriot 105 from the birthday sale, after shipping it ends up being the same price as you can get them on sale from other places with fast free shipping.

If you want something fancy like a krome or sotar and are willing to wait months for it then it’s a good deal.

What makes a Krome fancy?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Furism posted:

A friend of mine is a F/A 18 WSO in the Marines and I'd like to build his aircraft as a gift. What would be a good kit? I'm not sure if I want to build it 1/72 or 1/48. I'd say I'm medium-skilled so I reckon I could go for Tamiya-level quality, but probably not Eduard (ie: no photo-etching or things like that). Also is there a place where I can find quality decal sets? I'm not sure his particular squadron would come with a typical kit.

Academy 1/72 (new tool - check scalemates!) is a good choice. What squadron are you looking for? There are probably a ton of aftermarket decal sets for every squadron in USN.

e: Academy makes good legacy Hornet, and Revell Super Hornet in 1/48 is great.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

What makes a Krome fancy?

It's a detail brush with a finer spray nozzle and a rather large heavy body. I bought one in the first Badger Birthday sale, it got lost in the mail and by the time they sorted it all out (months later) I had given up and bought one from Amazon. Turned out I didn't actually like it and switched to a SOTAR 20/20 for my detail work.

IMO If you want a fine detail brush get a SOTAR if you have small or normal sized hands, get a Krome if you have big monster hands.

The Birthday sale is a great deal if you're buying one of the higher end brushes and you are not on any sort of time table to get it. They ship them slowly via untracked USPS, so if they get lost or damaged in transit Badger will set you right but it can take a long loving time because this sale overwhelms them every single year.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I just got a fiber glass pen and I must say, this thing is ideal for removing seamlines from delicate parts or removing excess glue or fingerprints.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I've always wanted to try one, but I keep envisioning the fibers breaking and getting into my eyes or under my fingernails or something. Yikes.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

huff some extra thin until the pain from the fiberglass goes away

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Gervasius posted:

Academy 1/72 (new tool - check scalemates!) is a good choice. What squadron are you looking for? There are probably a ton of aftermarket decal sets for every squadron in USN.

e: Academy makes good legacy Hornet, and Revell Super Hornet in 1/48 is great.

Thanks!

The Squadron is "VMFA(AW)-242" (or Marine All Weather Fighter Attack Squadron 242).

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I accidentally bought a pair of bottles of Tamiya "quick setting" extra thin cement. Smells like straight up acetone. Anyone ever used it? Didn't know such a thing even existed.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Gewehr 43 posted:

I accidentally bought a pair of bottles of Tamiya "quick setting" extra thin cement. Smells like straight up acetone. Anyone ever used it? Didn't know such a thing even existed.

It sounds like it might be related to some of the Weld-On products. I used them for gluing styrene and plexiglass (sometimes to themselves, sometimes to each other) when doing architectural models. The idea is to get a part in place, then dab the glue with the applicator around the seam-- capillary action will draw the thin glue into the gap and melt the plastic so it can fuse. Parts will become glued quickly, but it does take some time for the joint to truly harden. If that is indeed weld-on #4, use it sparingly on styrene plastic as it can cause it to melt and lose structural strength.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
#4? Pfft!

#3 is where the real brain melting action happens.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

#4? Pfft!

So what's #1, the Universal Solvent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

#4? Pfft!

Yeah it could be 3 I guess. One of them is a modified type of chloroform and boy howdy does it smell spectacular.

E: The point stands in regards to its softening effects on styrene-- it can make parts more difficult to sand because they're still malleable from the solvent and while they are stuck together, they need to be given some time to cure.