Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the weapon system in Bound By Flame. Most sidequests give you unique named weapons that all have interesting balances of stats, like one longsword may be two points weaker than another but can more easily interrupt enemies, or it may have an small elemental effect. You never get just "Iron Longsword" and ignore it, you at least check what it's strengths and weaknesses are, it's just unlikely you'll use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!
Everyone knows that Sewer Shark is the only true game with good sewer levels.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I've been checking for literally years, and the Metal Gear Rising OST is on Spotify! That's still one of my favourite things from that game, and I remembered 90% of the words!

When blood and sweat is the real cost,
blah blah blah the truth is lost!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

There will be blood
shed
The man in the mirror nods his head.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Jan 10, 2020

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Dewgy posted:

That whole bit with how the Board’s messages have dual meanings in the subtitles is extremely clever. It gets the tone across of something being translated and interpreted instead of being directly understood, which was a really cool touch.

Or, alternately, of several voices trying to convey the same idea differently at the same time. I also like how the Board is mostly aloof but friendly in how it communicates with you, but becomes oppressively threatening when you encounter Former and it entertains the thought of you possibly switching allegiance. Like, hey, you’re an extraplanar being I can’t even begin to comprehend, I’m not about to try getting hired by some other extraplanar being that’s currently throwing boulders at my head

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've been playing through Peace Walker and I like that there's still a few people up for some co-op, and I really like the comms system that enables you to have little generic chats back and forth with players in any languages. Basically the Japanese players all have crazy science fiction guns from later in the game and I like complimenting on them as they cut through the vehicle bosses like a knife through butter.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

orcane posted:

That's the proper way to do these jokes IMO and I wish more games did that.

This is technically for the annoyance thread, but far too many games pull the "haha isn't feature/level X lovely am I right?" card while making you suffer through X. It never get's better, funny or even immune to criticism just because you point it out, if you already figured out it sucks, don't make me play bad sewer levels or missions for assholes without being paid until the game is almost over (GTA5).

See now, if only you'd designed Yooka Laylee instead of the people who did.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

youknowthatoneguy posted:

Everyone knows that Sewer Shark is the only true game with good sewer levels.

What, with those three way junctions that freak me out and cause me to lose my cool?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Roblo posted:

Goddamn. I loved those games, and read the books, but never picked that up ...

God I bet if I read them again now they would be awesome (wasn't corran horn a bit of a Mary Sue? And I'm pretty sure he nailed a cat alien at one point) but drat I loved them as a kid.

The Rogue Squadron books are okay, but the Wraith Squadron ones are fantastic and well worth reading.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Rogue Squadron books are okay, but the Wraith Squadron ones are fantastic and well worth reading.

Truth

I debate rereading the series but I feel like it didn't hold up at all

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

PremiumSupport posted:

Which did not turn out well for either of them as I recall. Something about skin chemistry issues.

They were allergic to each other, and Iella describes it as basically a "full body sunburn".

Why the gently caress do I still remember that?!

Len posted:

Truth

I debate rereading the series but I feel like it didn't hold up at all

Starfighters of Adumar is still funny and I think a legitimately well-written (though obviously extremely lightweight) space opera novel.

Dewgy posted:

That whole bit with how the Board’s messages have dual meanings in the subtitles is extremely clever. It gets the tone across of something being translated and interpreted instead of being directly understood, which was a really cool touch.

My favorite one is the one where the Board is trying to explain...something...to you, get frustrated at how it doesn't translate into English at all, and basically tell you "Ignore this message, it's stupid."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Watching an LP of GTA 4 and I'd forgotten how interesting of a character the second major boss is (the guy who makes you work for him after you kill Vlad), simply because of his assistant Dimitri. His assistant gives him more depth by letting you know that he used to be a decent guy years ago, before the coke fried his brain and made him aggressive and paranoid. without Dimitri you'd be confused as to what his wife saw in him in the first place, but like Dimitri she was likely taken in by him when he was still in his right mind and now she and Dimitri feel trapped because as well as cruel he has become powerful and dangerous.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Man I really want to play control but the motion blurr is horrendous! I only managed to turn it of by using a fan made solution thst stopped working after the first play.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Want to play a sewer level that's been automated and it's full of robots keeping things spotless and it's basically only called a sewer level with none of the awful parts.

Imagine playing an enclosed Jetsons level but everyone's like 'God I hate the sewers!'

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kit Walker posted:

Or, alternately, of several voices trying to convey the same idea differently at the same time. I also like how the Board is mostly aloof but friendly in how it communicates with you, but becomes oppressively threatening when you encounter Former and it entertains the thought of you possibly switching allegiance. Like, hey, you’re an extraplanar being I can’t even begin to comprehend, I’m not about to try getting hired by some other extraplanar being that’s currently throwing boulders at my head

My impression of The Board is that they are generally affable but also know they're talking to a 20-something millennial of far lesser intellect, and so attempt to immediately translate everything into video game achievement speech that you can understand.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Want to play a sewer level that's been automated and it's full of robots keeping things spotless and it's basically only called a sewer level with none of the awful parts.

Imagine playing an enclosed Jetsons level but everyone's like 'God I hate the sewers!'

Take it one step further, ultra-pristine and clean sewers during some sort of apocalyptic event, because the mayor years back was a neat freak and didn't like the occasional poo streak in the drainage canals despite them being within "acceptable tolerance parameters" so they cranked the "cleanliness" setting to max and called it a day. The robots now view all humans as "unclean" and you have to fight through the custodial droids on your way to wherever, and take out their main server to boot. Near the end of the game you go back into the sewers and it's in infinitely worse shape. All the robots are offline and there's the occasional poo streak in the drainage canal.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I remember the Spider-Man movie game had a sewer level but it had these big, airy, expansive areas to fight in and towards the end it turned into more of a train and tunnel area for when you fight Shocker.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Son of Rodney posted:

Man I really want to play control but the motion blurr is horrendous! I only managed to turn it of by using a fan made solution thst stopped working after the first play.

Can't you just turn it off somewhere in the menu options? I definitely remember a more advanced setting menu, that I'm pretty sure had stuff like the visual filter and motion blur as options.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm getting back into Far Cry 5, because I had some life events shortly after I purchased it so i never got very far.

I appreciate that you only have to climb 1 freaking tower, I honestly hated that in Far Cry 3 and 4. I also like that it's very easy to get from Point A to Point B. It wasn't so bad in FC3, only a couple of the mountains were impassable, but God-drat, in FC4 you always had to go so far out of your way because a huge mountain was in the way even if the actual distance was only like 300m. It got to the point I always tried to get everywhere with one of those gyro-copters, though even though didn't always work cause if they got too high the engine would stall out.

FC5 is also the first one (of those 3, never played the OG or 2) where it kind-of-almost-makes-sense your character knows how to do at least SOME of the things he does. You're a Sheriff's deputy, though just a rookie, but at least in theory you would have had SOME weapons training, maybe some extreme driving courses, etc...More training than a random extreme sports guy or a...uhh...nothing guy? Seriously, was their any backstory to your character in FC4 other than "Mom died, returning her ashes to the homeland"?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Most of the FC4 backstory involves your mom, your dad, and uhhhh your step-dad? Ajay himself was a little bland, but I give them credit for writing an Asian American character returning to his birthplace after writing Dudebro Does a Pacific Island.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
From what I remember Far Cry 4 was originally supposed to have you play as the dude bro from 3, but they changed it after the tepid reception of the character. It would kinda explain why Ajay is so half baked.

Far Cry 4 is still my favorite in the series though. I really liked how they changed up the driving to accommodate shooting while driving. The controls felt a little strange at first, but once you got used to them it was pretty easy to get precise shots off in the middle of high speed chases. Kinda suprised more games haven't ripped it off.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Jedrick posted:

From what I remember Far Cry 4 was originally supposed to have you play as the dude bro from 3, but they changed it after the tepid reception of the character. It would kinda explain why Ajay is so half baked.

Far Cry 4 is still my favorite in the series though. I really liked how they changed up the driving to accommodate shooting while driving. The controls felt a little strange at first, but once you got used to them it was pretty easy to get precise shots off in the middle of high speed chases. Kinda suprised more games haven't ripped it off.

farcry has just completely given up on having a flagship protagonist, series just can't hack having a main character for some reason.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Olaf The Stout posted:

farcry has just completely given up on having a flagship protagonist, series just can't hack having a main character for some reason.
Far Cry:New Dawn related:
The deputy shows up in New Dawn as a party member, I think that’s the first time a protagonist has been in more than one game.

I liked how the options you didn’t pick in FC2 showed up as the other mercs that were in the area, that was cool.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Far Cry has had a main character since 3. His name is Hurk, and he just happens to not be the player character.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I assumed FC4 dude was meant to be a blank slate to project onto... I guess I was giving it too much credit.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'd say Far Cry works pretty well with a revolving door protagonist but recurring supporting characters and charismatic villains, but also Ubisoft has noticeably struggled with how to actually execute on that.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Goddamn Hurk must be some executive's pet-character because he shows up in every game as the comic-relief despite not being funny in the slightest.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Please do not speak ill of my precious idiot.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Goddamn Hurk must be some executive's pet-character because he shows up in every game as the comic-relief despite not being funny in the slightest.

Still better than those two drug guys in FC4. Absolutely the worst characters in the whole series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Wasn't he originally just there for co-op? I don't remember him showing up that much actually in the game before 5.

Anyway, I was playing The Surge 2 and it introduces a new type of weapon which is slow but if you hit attack again while you're attacking you split it into two weapons that hit much faster. The tutorial screen for it literally just tells you to go ahead and mash the attack button to get it to work.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

muscles like this! posted:

Wasn't he originally just there for co-op? I don't remember him showing up that much actually in the game before 5.

Nope, 3 didn't have traditional co-op, just a weird Far Cry meets L4D kind of thing. I think Hurk was invented just to give the DLC addon missions some kind of personality.

Also reminder that they even included him in Primal. :allears:

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Still better than those two drug guys in FC4. Absolutely the worst characters in the whole series.

This is the correct opinion. Though I appreciate that by the end of their mission chain Ajay is sort of into their whole wacky drug schtick.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

John Murdoch posted:

Nope, 3 didn't have traditional co-op, just a weird Far Cry meets L4D kind of thing.

Which was actually quite fun, if pretty rough around the edges in places.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Similarly, Final Fantasy XIV hits a bad note when they bring in Ultros for a joke storyline. I recognize Ultros isn't the easiest classic FF character to bring in for a full story, since he's essentially just a pile of entirely disconnected jokes that you have to somehow turn into a full character, but...

I mean, don't turn his few off-color comments about female characters into his entire character, please. Just making him a creepy sex pest is literally the worst thing you could do with him.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Cleretic posted:

Similarly, Final Fantasy XIV hits a bad note when they bring in Ultros for a joke storyline. I recognize Ultros isn't the easiest classic FF character to bring in for a full story, since he's essentially just a pile of entirely disconnected jokes that you have to somehow turn into a full character, but...

I mean, don't turn his few off-color comments about female characters into his entire character, please. Just making him a creepy sex pest is literally the worst thing you could do with him.

Yeah, FFXIV has a lovely track record with sex pests. I had to quit playing once one of the female antagonists was revealed to be a emotionally broken mistress for the big bad guy, and a bunch of other quests just casually mention rape. One of the leveling quests in Ul'dah or whatever the gently caress it's called has a "kill x number of Corpse Brigade soldiers" because a bunch of them raped a native girl. Right outside the tunnel where you receive the quest, there's adorable dancing cactus men, and I rode past them on my cutesy cartoon anime ostrich to avenge a nameless NPCs honor.

Super loving tone-deaf and it turned me off the game for good. Which is a shame, because I really, really wanted to see the Alexander raid with its awesome music and wacky transforming god-robots. Why couldn't that be the focus without that faux-edgy bullshit that ruined the mainline Final Fantasy games?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Cleretic posted:

The one good use of this version of Ultros was in Final Fantasy Mobius. Having the stoic and boring main character just deadpan flirting creepily back was pretty funny.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yeah, FFXIV has a lovely track record with sex pests. I had to quit playing once one of the female antagonists was revealed to be a emotionally broken mistress for the big bad guy, and a bunch of other quests just casually mention rape. One of the leveling quests in Ul'dah or whatever the gently caress it's called has a "kill x number of Corpse Brigade soldiers" because a bunch of them raped a native girl. Right outside the tunnel where you receive the quest, there's adorable dancing cactus men, and I rode past them on my cutesy cartoon anime ostrich to avenge a nameless NPCs honor.

Super loving tone-deaf and it turned me off the game for good. Which is a shame, because I really, really wanted to see the Alexander raid with its awesome music and wacky transforming god-robots. Why couldn't that be the focus without that faux-edgy bullshit that ruined the mainline Final Fantasy games?

Wait, the Final Fantasy mmo has rape in it?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Screaming Idiot posted:

I admit I forgot about a lot of that. For what it's worth, those are mostly very brief off-notes in otherwise good story, and they stop doing that when the expansions come, it's really only something they were doing with the at-launch storylines.

Ultros hurt partly because he's a beloved character who doesn't actually have to be that, but also because when they introduced Blue Mages a couple expansions later, they put his spells into the learnable spell list; Ultros and Typhon's raid is actually the single piece of content most dense with spells Blue Mages can learn. So while you can blow past most of the rape stuff really easily now, you're actually incentivized to go watch Ultros perv on women around Ul'Dah.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Wait, the Final Fantasy mmo has rape in it?

It's never directly stated but heavily implied in very unsubtle ways. The writer in charge of the latest expansion, Shadowbringers, is as far as I can tell, the only woman writer on their staff? And she's honestly the best on their team and it shows. There was a funny/depressing interview a few years back where she mentioned how she'd create female characters who didn't just exist to be eye candy and put a lot of effort into writing them (several side characters throughout the heavensward storyline, specifically) only for another writer to waltz in and kill them off a few weeks later. She wrote some of the best content in the game, best characters and then they gave her the lead writing position and shadow bringers had a good story people cared about.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ultros' literal entire personality is "haha, he makes weird passes at female characters and acts egotistical around men'. Like that's literally the character.

I can understand people being annoyed by it but the joke was literally from the beginning that he was a touchy octopus who thought more of himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nuebot posted:

It's never directly stated but heavily implied in very unsubtle ways. The writer in charge of the latest expansion, Shadowbringers, is as far as I can tell, the only woman writer on their staff? And she's honestly the best on their team and it shows. There was a funny/depressing interview a few years back where she mentioned how she'd create female characters who didn't just exist to be eye candy and put a lot of effort into writing them (several side characters throughout the heavensward storyline, specifically) only for another writer to waltz in and kill them off a few weeks later. She wrote some of the best content in the game, best characters and then they gave her the lead writing position and shadow bringers had a good story people cared about.

This wasn't a "everyone else hates women" thing I believe. She was just a junior writer and couldn't 'protect' characters she made/liked. Since then she's got a lot more presence.