Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

'125 of the same scenes.' In a crazy fluke, Rob ALSO had Joey Pants eating a steak and talking to the voice of Megatron but he had envisioned Frank Welker instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rhyno posted:

That was a major part of the column if I recall. I guess it wasn't widely known that Smith turned the role down? I seem to recall Rob having a rep for lying about everything. He was claiming a few years ago that he has his own film universe in the works wasn't he? And then we later found out he doesn't even own his characters anymore.
Liefeld did legitimately sell the options to a bunch of films in the 1990s when he was hot, and he also was legitimately in a deal with Netflix last year, though he probably lied about many of the meetings/seriousness of the chances of these options properties being made. Things get optioned/sold all of the time and never see the light of day.

Even with whatever bullshit Terrific Productions is pulling on Youngblood and Liefeld does still legitimately own the rights to a bunch of his other characters, which were the ones in the Netflix deal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Edge & Christian posted:

Liefeld did legitimately sell the options to a bunch of films in the 1990s when he was hot, and he also was legitimately in a deal with Netflix last year, though he probably lied about many of the meetings/seriousness of the chances of these options properties being made. Things get optioned/sold all of the time and never see the light of day.

Even with whatever bullshit Terrific Productions is pulling on Youngblood and Liefeld does still legitimately own the rights to a bunch of his other characters, which were the ones in the Netflix deal.

Gotcha. It's hard to keep track anymore. He's claimed to have sold the option on literally everything he's ever created.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Gotcha. It's hard to keep track anymore. He's claimed to have sold the option on literally everything he's ever created.

He almost certainly has sold options on most of things he owns, especially in the early Image days, just the vast majority of things that get optioned also never get made.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Splint Chesthair posted:

Just going on the whole Agent America thing, Rob understands IP law about as well as he understands podiatry.

:golfclap:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dawgstar posted:

It's fascinating to watch Liefeld, whose shtick has been 'oh, he's such a nice guy' continue to whiz goodwill down his leg in a matter of months. While I'm sure Rob would walk it back that he didn't mean <specific writer here>, he throws so many amazing things under the bus. And it's coming from a guy whose go-to plot is 'from the future.'

Shocked to find that Rob Liefeld thinks the golden age of comics started with the ones he grew up reading and ended when he wasn't making as much money from his comics as he used to.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Lamuella posted:

Shocked to find that Rob Liefeld thinks the golden age of comics started with the ones he grew up reading and ended when he wasn't making as much money from his comics as he used to.

quote:

Comics as art began
In nineteen ninety-three
(which was rather late for me) --
Between the end of the NWA ban
And Donkey Kong Country 3

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Totbot posted:

As someone who really only got into reading comics like 6 years ago and has no real nostalgia for any era, I feel like his point is the 100% opposite of reality.

Like I appreciate Claremont’s, Kirby’s, etc work, but there is sooooo much dialog. I can binge through an entire modern series and feel like I read a short story. Reading like 3 X-men comics from the 80’s or 90’s makes me feel like I just read an entire Lord of the rings trilogy worth of dialog.
See personally I would appreciate more density if I was still buying singles. Otherwise it's like, what the gently caress did I just spend 3/4 bucks for, exactly?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Nessus posted:

See personally I would appreciate more density if I was still buying singles. Otherwise it's like, what the gently caress did I just spend 3/4 bucks for, exactly?

This reminds me of people counting how many hours video games are to decide if they are worth the money or not. More doesn't always mean better.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vince MechMahon posted:

This reminds me of people counting how many hours video games are to decide if they are worth the money or not. More doesn't always mean better.

It's not so much the word count but pacing. Almost every issue of Claremont up until the big crossovers started gave you a complete story with a beginning, middle and end, there'd be continuing threads and two parters of course, but each issue gave you something to chew on.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Skwirl posted:

It's not so much the word count but pacing. Almost every issue of Claremont up until the big crossovers started gave you a complete story with a beginning, middle and end, there'd be continuing threads and two parters of course, but each issue gave you something to chew on.

Even then his internal multi-part sagas are remarkably tight and consistent, and even his contributions to loose crossovers like Mutant Massacre and Fall of the Mutants are generally satisfyingly dense stories on an issue-to-issue level. I think the Secret Wars II crossovers are kind of a mess (but which weren't?) and Inferno was a fascinating, engaging disaster, but as far as I'm concerned even the relatively contentious Muir Island stuff later on is mostly compelling.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So Rob sold all these options and rights and how many of those ended up going I to production?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

So Rob sold all these options and rights and how many of those ended up going I to production?

Deadpool?

This was happening when Fox got X-Men for pennies on the dollar and Sony the same on Spider-Man. McFarlane sold Spawn at the same time (which somehow got a movie before Spider-Man), you don't think studios are also buying the up whatever the number 2 X artist at the time can sell them?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 12, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm pretty sure Marvel owns Deadpool and Rob just gets royalty checks. I'm talking about his Extreme Studios portfolio.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I'm pretty sure Marvel owns Deadpool and Rob just gets royalty checks. I'm talking about his Extreme Studios portfolio.

see my edit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Skwirl posted:

He almost certainly has sold options on most of things he owns, especially in the early Image days, just the vast majority of things that get optioned also never get made.

As I understand it, and any goon with better knowledge is free to correct, "option" is an abbreviation of "first option to buy". It isn't selling the movie rights; it's a precursor agreement that sets terms on future sales. So if Universal came to Liefeld wanting to make a movie about Blooddevil: The Man Without Feet, but Fox had already bought the option, then Fox would have first refusal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I want to see that film.

I'm really just looking for more insight into Rob's claims. He's been spouting off about these films and shows for 20+ years and not a single one has materialized.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jedit posted:

As I understand it, and any goon with better knowledge is free to correct, "option" is an abbreviation of "first option to buy". It isn't selling the movie rights; it's a precursor agreement that sets terms on future sales. So if Universal came to Liefeld wanting to make a movie about Blooddevil: The Man Without Feet, but Fox had already bought the option, then Fox would have first refusal.

It can mean a lot of different things in a lot of different situations, but in your example Fox gave Rob some amount of money thinking they might want to make a Blooddevil movie at some point in the future.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Some of Rob's stuff has been passed around when the first production company didn't make a movie. I know Prophet has a new studio. Rob was very excited his extremely original idea of a man who time travels was going to not be made into a movie again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd like to see films based on the Extreme era when he let talented writers and artists take over.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It just feels unlikely that he made all these deals and nothing came of it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Rhyno posted:

There are a lot of reasons why a project can stall out or collapse that would have had nothing to do with him. He just collected a nice check for the rights before going on his way.

I find it entirely believable that somebody like Liefeld would've gotten a lot of things optioned in his career, since his entire time in comics has been during a series of gold rushes on comics IP. The late '90s was a period of such stunning desperation by Hollywood that anybody with a comic reportedly got at least one call from a licensing agent.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 12, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

How many years went by between Sony getting the rights to Spider-Man and Sony actually making a Spider-Man movie? And that's loving Spider-Man. There's probably 100 things that get movie rights sold and never get a movie made for every one that does.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

How many years went by between Sony getting the rights to Spider-Man and Sony actually making a Spider-Man movie? And that's loving Spider-Man. There's probably 100 things that get movie rights sold and never get a movie made for every one that does.

It's just the whole story about THE MARK and THE MATRIX that makes it seem unlikely. I dunno, maybe because I've soured on the guy over the lats two years. It just sort of smells like more of Rob's usual bullshit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

It's just the whole story about THE MARK and THE MATRIX that makes it seem unlikely. I dunno, maybe because I've soured on the guy over the lats two years. It just sort of smells like more of Rob's usual bullshit.

Well, one could see him selling Youngblood as a broad umbrella that also gets you Brigade, Prophet... uh... Troll.... the other team starts with a 'B,' maybe even (God forbid) Bloodwulf. New Men? I think he had something called New Men. I can see him selling things but also embellishing it because Rob's kind of full of himself and also not that much as he claims. Like maybe he counts every single member of Youngblood even though it was a package deal.

Although originally I didn't bring up Rob to point and say 'look goons nostalgia' but more just why now in the, as you point out, last two years is he acting like he's getting vinegar in his cereal every morning.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Options are pretty cheap relative to everything else in Hollywood, and I can definitely imagine people buying up whatever Liefeld made at the peak of his popularity out of a mix of blind speculation and CYA/spite (you don't want a competitor to made a good Youngblood movie after you passed on the option).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

Preacher was in development hell for like 15 years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All his Extreme properties are also paper thin copies of DC and Marvel characters which is another thing that might have kept anything from happening. Like anyone is actually going to make a Supreme film.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I don't know if anyone else remembers Andy Mangels but he used to do a column for like... every fanzine through the 1980s and 1990s where he'd talk about comics being adapted by Hollywood. This is mainly why I believe that Liefeld sold the options to a ton of superhero characters in the 1990s. From a single article in Comics Scene in 1987, Mangels listed the following Marvel/DC properties as being actively optioned/developed in Hollywood: Ant-Man, Batman, Blade, Blackhawk, Captain America, Daredevil, Dr. Strange, Elektra, Fantastic Four, Flash, Green Lantern, Human Target, Iron Man, Luke Cage & Iron Fist, Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD, Sgt. Rock, She-Hulk, Silver Surfer, Spider-Man, Sub-Mariner, Supergirl, Swamp Thing, Thor (as a sitcom?), Watchmen, Wolverine, X-Men

Many of these actually ended up as movies (some of these were proposed sequels/reboots to things like the original Supergirl film), but it took over thirty years for pretty much all of them.

The article also mentions film rights being sold for Andy Capp, Cerebus, Crossfire, DNAgents, Elfquest, The Far Side, Judge Dredd, the Rocketeer, the Spirit, the Wizard of Id, and Zippy the Pinhead. Plus weird stuff like Marvel creating a line of superheroes specifically for movies (The Adjuster, The Chameleon, Copperhead: The Legend of Mongrel, Dominique Shade, Once a Hero, The Protector) and Jack Kirby doing something similar for "Empire Entertainment", optioning his creations Dr. Mortalis and the Mindmaster

Fast forward a few years and he's running a similar column for Wizard, where in addition to reporting on things that saw the light of day (the Batman film series, Batman the Animated Series, X-Men/Spider-Man cartoons, Judge Dredd, the Mask) he also reports on projects like:

The Pulse, a new superhero co-created by Todd McFarlane and Quincy Jones(?)
An abandoned Justice League film that had been in development, but had been turned into a --
Booster Gold/Blue Beetle buddy cop film that had been optioned
A Spy vs. Spy animated feature
Mike Judge's "Camp Wanabarf" live action feature
Robin Williams being interested in an adaptation of cartoonist John Callahan's autobiography (which got made in 2018 with Joaquin Phoenix)
John Milius and Arnold Schwarzenegger doing Sgt. Rock, but not before Arnold does Total Recall II (an adaptation of "The Minority Report")
A Green Hornet movie coming in 1995

poo poo got (and gets) optioned all of the time, but by the time Liefeld (and the rest of that creator-owned hero boom of the 1990s) would have been announcing their options, Wizard stopped paying Mangels to write a column and replaced him with that feature where they just put pictures of movie stars and wrestlers next to comic panels to fantasy cast the Infinity Gauntlet movie that would clearly never happen in a million years.

I get that Rob Liefeld is a bullshit artist and Rhyno and others might reflexively not believe a single thing he ever says, they may now doubt that he ever drew a comic book called X-Force, there's no way of knowing. But Hollywood is a ridiculous land of a bunch of bullshit artists who buy bullshit from each other constantly, and hundreds if not thousands of comic books have been optioned or even put into development with nothing concrete to show for it years or decades later. They also successfully make bullshit ripoffs of other popular properties all of the time, so I'm not sure why that would stop Liefeld from getting meetings in Hollywood.

Bendis did a whole comic about his own experience with the Torso movie that still hasn't come out, and that comic is now twenty years old.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 12, 2020

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Edge & Christian posted:

Thor (as a sitcom?)
10 years ago I would have groaned at the idea but I would totally go for it now -- a slightly dark comedy about two levels of cheeriness up from the New Asgard scene in Endgame (and better written) but with some bite. Thor hanging out with Korg and Miek, and his wacky neighbor Banner dropping in from time to time. Two parter: oh oh, all the relatives are visiting, they've all been resurrected...and there's no mead to be found anywhere! LOKIIIIII!!!!!!!

In fact, that's Thor's catchphrase.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I just astrally projected into Hell and came back with parts of my soul missing and replaced with new and strange things at the notion of a licensed 1990s Far Side movie.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hostile V posted:

I just astrally projected into Hell and came back with parts of my soul missing and replaced with new and strange things at the notion of a licensed 1990s Far Side movie.

I remember that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hostile V posted:

There was one or two prime time animated Far Side specials back in the day.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Davros1 posted:

There was one or two prime time animated Far Side specials back in the day.
Yeah I've heard of those but I mean a god drat 1990s major studio adaptation of the loving Far Side and how much of a banal shitshow it would shape up to be. I don't mean to say I'd sold my soul for that, I mean to say I was not sent to a happy place at the thought.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's a shame this isn't twenty years ago when I could have watched a Cerebus... thing just to see what kind of bizarre train wreck it was.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Double post but lol.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1216550610377629697

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Best offer accepted
Please just take it, I'll give you 9.99

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Do we know that's EVS, it's entirely possible it's one of the few people who actually got one and realized their mistake and wanted to get it out of their apartment mom's basement as quickly as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

It's definitely not EVS, he has his own publicized eBay account that was called "fascistfrog" up until mid 2017 when someone called him out about it. The only item he has up for sale right now is a signed copy of a Jordan Peterson book.

There are a ton of copies of his Indiegogo book up on eBay, and most sold for closer to the asking price, or I assume so; there are a bunch of levels of variant covers, autographs, trading cards, etc. I can't be bothered to look up the original price for.