Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

dromal phrenia posted:

OK I'm a little baffled that pokemon now has co-op RAIDS but I'm laughing at the idea that half your raids are against a magikarp, that owns. I guess it makes sense that so far you've faced the best pokemon and the worst pokemon :hai:

Around the time I found out that pokemon had breeding and that the best way to level pokemon was to have them fight specific other pokemon to grind up specific stats, I decided the series wasn't for me anymore.

The giant version is called Dynamixing and its this game's gimmick. In certain spots you can make your pokemon big too(more HP and some of the pokemon get a unique look)! Which is where the co-op thing falls apart. In the raid only one of the pokemon can by dynamaxed which means you have to somehow non-verbally(I've yet to find a chat feature) figure out which one of you dorks should dynamax. Its hilariously frustrating. Luckily you can slot AIs instead of people which will do gently caress all but not get in your way.

This game is pretty generous with grinding:

you've got 2 daycares that'll take a pair of pokemon each. The pokemons gain XP and might drop eggs. I'm breeding koffings for some reason I can't recall.

there's a bridge that drops stat boosting items. There seems to be a cap on how many you can apply per pokemon tho.

you can assign your box pokemon to jobs that take up to 24 hours of realtime for stats and XP. The stats thing is huge because you'll get MASSIVE stat gains this way.

you can do MAX raids for XP candies.

Also if you have Nintendo Online($20.yr) you can do blind trades. Offer up a pokemon and someone will give you something in return. Takes about 3 minutes for a trade to complete. Repeat until you get something interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

extradite THIS! posted:

Oh hey here's that new blog I was talking about starting. It's about food in Hirokazu Kore-eda's movies.

Life Happens While You're Eating: Our Little Sister: Breakfast I

I posted this a week or so back but it was kind of a "soft launch" so I'd have time to familiarise myself with Blogger, check everything was working and get some thoughts on if this is a good idea at all. Anyway, in this first one I talk about a very traditional Japanese breakfast. Gonna start working on the next one tomorrow.

Edit: I also posted this very rambly bit about why I started this dang thing. Pro wrestling is briefly mentioned!!!!! Relevant!!! https://lifehappenswhileyoureeating.blogspot.com/2020/01/about-this-blogproject_3.html

this is cool, thanks dude

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
When I was looking for a game I bought Pokémon Sword and Shield and Octopath Traveler (both were on sale and I figure I’ll get to them eventually, but wanted to buy before my NY resolution of not buying treats for myself kicked in)...and then I kept playing Slay the Spire.

loving Ironclad Ascension 4 is mopping the floor with me.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

This all sounds pretty cool, although the lack of chat (classic Nintendo there) is probably very frustrating. Do any of the classic pokemons get cool visual upgrades in dynamaxed mode, or is it just the newer ones? Obviously not Snorlax, as he is perfect :colbert:

It also explains why you're OK grinding for rare candies, with all those ways to work on stats, the disadvantages of shoving candy down your pokemons throat are probably mitigated. I remember finding out that Rare Candy was actually a bad thing because of the aforementioned stat-bonus hidden system, and as a guy who constantly tries to circumvent any grinding by even the cheesiest methods available, this was unacceptable to me.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Cavauro posted:

had an idea, because of being a good 'ideas guy'. Let's have all these writers write the story to a video game. you all write the story, and i'll look it over, while some of our artists and coders do the simple art and coding. send me a PM if you can code the rowdy ringsports video game for free, or do art for it for free. the writers have already begun so let's follow their lead.

I will never write a "video game", the most crass of the entertainment mediums.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i shall give you the quest, boobily

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

dromal phrenia posted:

This all sounds pretty cool, although the lack of chat (classic Nintendo there) is probably very frustrating. Do any of the classic pokemons get cool visual upgrades in dynamaxed mode, or is it just the newer ones? Obviously not Snorlax, as he is perfect :colbert:

A bunch of the classic ones do, yeah.

This page has all of them right now, including the upcoming DLC ones:
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gigantamax

Snorlax is one.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

NienNunb posted:

I will never write a "video game", the most crass of the entertainment mediums.

I helped my dad write a video game when I was 9. I also helped do character design and level testing. I'm pretty sure it's freeware these days.

http://drnostromo.com/hacx/index.php

If you look in the credits my dad is the project director.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/BBolander/status/1215475602611933184

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This is my first SA post on my new, non-dinosaur laptop. I still have some stuff to set up but I have taken many steps and it is very exciting to be on a machine I do not need to fear exploding. Yay.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This is my first SA post on my new, non-dinosaur laptop. I still have some stuff to set up but I have taken many steps and it is very exciting to be on a machine I do not need to fear exploding. Yay.
Nice! Nothing like a brand new machine.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/neil-peart-obit-1.5422806

This one really loving hurts. Rush is the reason I survived high school. It feels so stupid to tear up over the death of a musician, but here we are.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

CobiWann posted:

This one really loving hurts. Rush is the reason I survived high school. It feels so stupid to tear up over the death of a musician, but here we are.

dude I sobbed off and on all day when George Harrison died, no shame in being emotionally connected to music imnsho :colbert:

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

CobiWann posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
GOD

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
WHY

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Jamming moving pictures right now, great band that took me too long to click with, I lost a good friend and great drummer in his own right to brain cancer last year, just miserable poo poo that disease is.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Not stupid at all. I hadn't listened to Linkin Park for a decade but Chester hanging himself hosed me up for weeks. Plus Peart is a loving legend and that's a huge loss.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

CobiWann posted:

The best part of Rush died. :smith:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

change my username to soft voltron

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I still think trimming the dex was a good idea but I’m glad my big boy Nidoking is back

That is a really bad opinion mate

CobiWann posted:

I'll have to watch the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie in tribute tonight

Also one of my aunts is in the hospital for something cancer related so yeah that's a two for one punch by this new year

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Turn you are monitor on

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I don't like the Pokemen

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Some of the pokemon are cool. electrode, koffing, chansey, snorlax, snubbull, ludicolo, super mario, spoink, spheal, bidoof, munna, dwebble, ducklett, secret one, swirlix, tyrunt, komala, niennunb, mimikyu, yamper, toxel

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

drrockso20 posted:

Whatever nerd I’ve been a pokeymaster for 20 years I don’t need your approval

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

CobiWann posted:

Definitely a sad day, I remember seeing Rush at Wembley Arena (back in 1992, during the Roll the Bones tour), and they put on an amazing show. I remember when Neil did his drum solo and it wasn't remotely boring (like most drum solos tend to be). Very sad to hear of his passing. :(

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
im not handling this well

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i am 30.

thiiiiiiiirrrrrty.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

cool, you're getting closer to wanting to smack the 27yo kids who cry about getting old

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

dromal phrenia posted:

It also explains why you're OK grinding for rare candies, with all those ways to work on stats, the disadvantages of shoving candy down your pokemons throat are probably mitigated. I remember finding out that Rare Candy was actually a bad thing because of the aforementioned stat-bonus hidden system, and as a guy who constantly tries to circumvent any grinding by even the cheesiest methods available, this was unacceptable to me.

they made the fat pikachu kinda derpy lookin in honor of the original gb graphics or something. Its cute, people memed with it for a brief bit.

Yeah, all I've really figured out in the internal game mechanics, is that stats vs lvls don't really matter until you hit endgame pvp. The correct way to pokemon grind sos you can be the teensiest bit more buff than the other chum:
-max out your stat potentials
-lvl
-evolve/other stuff/zzzwasn't paying attention

who fuckin cares because none of that matters even in the PVE endgame. Just level your poo poo 20 levels higher and have a spread of your faves. That seems to be working for me so far. I don't do PVP because this is a child's game and I'd feel like a real dick if I crushed some kid that wanted to be Ash Ketchum for a day. If you really really want the satisfying whimper of crushing a child, mariokart is the way to go.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Cavauro posted:

cool, you're getting closer to wanting to smack the 27yo kids who cry about getting old

i’m 31 my partner is 23 and calls themselves old constantly, i feel young as hell though still. I’m not looking forward to losing all my hair though cause my head is badly misshapen like villagers are gonna want to chase me with torches bad

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I am 40 and I feel goddamn ancient and I'm a bloated ugly NEET mess and I missed my chance at love and...

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I'm still in a dream
Fuc Eater

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

being old is a state of mind, or a state of appearance, depending on whether you interact with other people or not

although i hear you gotta lie about being 30+ on dating apps, which is a good lie to start your next relationship

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

30+ on dating apps is the weirdest poo poo I've ever been through. Aside from the lady and the dog incident, after 30 it just gets fuckin awkward to find people dtf but reasonably stable. I dunno if that's just a sign of the times tho.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

dromal phrenia posted:

being old is a state of mind, or a state of appearance, depending on whether you interact with other people or not

although i hear you gotta lie about being 30+ on dating apps, which is a good lie to start your next relationship

I freaked out about turning 40 for that reason; I fell off a lot of people's radars once I hit 4-0 I'm sure.
But it's not like I was on anybody's radar anyway so what the gently caress ever.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

my mom thinks I'm handsome so that's all that really matters to me. And if she didn't, whatever I'm good with how I got here.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

dentists are fun

dentist: we have prescribed medication for your toothache and we should do surgery asap

me: cool when can we do the surgery can we do it today

dentist: we can't do today because you're on medication

it's a root canal surgery :(

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Artelier posted:

it's a root canal surgery :(
Was it antibiotics? I had to wait a week for mine, for the antibiotics to clear chance of infection.

edit: I guess this is kind of a dumb question given you said for your toothache but that's exactly how my root canal went

didn't even given me sweet sweet opiates just a week of antibiotics

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you absolutely don't want surgery yet if you need antibiotics, in the long-term. since you could get brain infection and die. the dentist didn't explain themselves very well!