Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

A fun line from the Observer, "Octagon has claimed that he was won the exclusive rights to the name Octagon through the IMPI trademark service. Still, the IMPI web site lists AAA as owning the trademark to the Octagon name for pro wrestling. Octagon claimed that anyone not approved by him to use names like Octagon Jr., El Hijo del Octagon or Octagoncito will be jailed. Somehow I don’t think anyone is going to jail for that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Big fan of Jim's gift to Bryan.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MJeff posted:

Big fan of Jim's gift to Bryan.

Bryan declaring he's going to make the ears pop every time Ryan (from Cumberland, Maryland) calls :allears:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dave posted:

Punk then, on Twitter, wrote, “Go suck a blood money covered dick in Saudi Arabia you f***ing dork.” Later Punk realized that wasn’t to be viewed well and deleted it. Luckily for him, he’s not a guy on the Jim Cornette list when it comes to enemies.

Dave thinks that people only disliked Cornette's racism because they view him as an enemy.

Dave is not an ally, yo.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I kind of assume Dave means Punk has more good will then Cornette has but Dave is ignoring the vast difference between their statements. Dave is not an ally.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Dave thinks that people only disliked Cornette's racism because they view him as an enemy.

Dave is not an ally, yo.

I'm not defending I'm just looking for clarification.

I thought Dave meant Cornette had enemies backstage looking for an excuse, not just like, people in general. Did I interpret that wrong?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

I thought Dave meant Cornette had enemies backstage looking for an excuse, not just like, people in general. Did I interpret that wrong?

I took it to be a mix of both, because Cornette has alienated both a good portion of the general public and just about everybody who has ever employed him.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

No, I think your interpretation is right but it feels like a disingenuous way to frame it. Like, Punk will probably avoid any punishment or outcry because he doesn't have enemies backstage and generally has public good will. Cornette makes enemies and has very little public good will. But those enemies are not why Cornette saw backlash for his comments. I also don't really even see what these situations have in common besides person said a controversial thing but the things they said have a wide gulf between them.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
I think it's also a wild stretch to think that Punk himself, personally, without influence, felt that the tweet "wasn't to be viewed well." That's someone talking to Dave covering a bunch of asses and him just typing it as is.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Randy Orton literally said the n word and not a peep was heard.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

There's a part that was left off at the end of Dave's bit where he compares Punk's comments being homophobic to Cornette's racism, I guess he's saying that because Cornette has more enemies he got cancelled whereas Punk probably won't, but Punk has a history of saying poo poo that is offensive in ways he's probably too dumb to understand.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Did an interview with George W Bushi aout his live experience at WrestleKingdom and New Year's Dash. We also talked some Stardom! It was fun, check it out! https://rudospodcast.co/episode-26-wrestlekingdom-live-report/

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Seams posted:

Randy Orton literally said the n word and not a peep was heard.
That's not even kind of true.

And even if it were, what would your point be, exactly?

Bad things are bad no matter how much press they get, and Dave's contention that things don't matter if nobody notices is demonstrative of his mindset in a big bad way.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Got to the best of 2019 and there is not nearly enough Don Valentine NWA chat including matches with Rick Steiner and Dr Death Steve Williams

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Dave is not an ally, yo.

I found it doubly galling because Cornette seems to say something like "suck a dick", "suck my dick" or "buuuuuuuhhhhhlow me" every single episode. So, if Punk is "getting away" with this, he's literally getting away with doing the exact same thing that Cornette gets away with doing twice a week.

I used to excuse Dave in my mind as a clueless old milquetoast liberal. Being the Cornette defense squad along with his comments on ACH have both greatly changed my take on him.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

That's not even kind of true.

And even if it were, what would your point be, exactly?

Bad things are bad no matter how much press they get, and Dave's contention that things don't matter if nobody notices is demonstrative of his mindset in a big bad way.

Just that there was a difference between the level of condemnation of Orton compared to Cornette. I don't think either comment was good or that Cornette should've gotten away with it or anything like that.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Pinche Rudo posted:

Did an interview with George W Bushi aout his live experience at WrestleKingdom and New Year's Dash. We also talked some Stardom! It was fun, check it out! https://rudospodcast.co/episode-26-wrestlekingdom-live-report/

I listened to this earlier and was going "hm, this dude's voice reminds me of someone, no idea who, oh well" but of course it's the GWB himself! I'm dumb and wasn't able to connect the dots :downs:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Gumball Gumption posted:

Cornette makes enemies and has very little public good will. But those enemies are not why Cornette saw backlash for his comments.

The people who helped cancel him would know, wouldn't they?

MassRafTer posted:

I'm sure some people don't like the idea of Dave saying part of this is Cornette being divisive and having enemies but within 5 minutes of the tweet going up with the video people were @ing and DMing me about it to cancel Cornette. Cancel culture is real, and it's real good. (Wolf Howl)

It's also good he said Lagana has some responsibility here.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Dave physically can't stop himself from defending Cornette and it's fuckin' bizarre

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Dave physically can't stop himself from defending Cornette and it's fuckin' bizarre

Boomers love to circle the wagons and defend their white fragility

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Dave is not an ally, yo.

Punk has a long history of making homophobic jokes and comments and will never face consequences for them. If people like someone and they are popular they will get more chances than if someone is despised.

For example, in PA Joe Paterno's favorability rating in 2016 was 49% positive to 29% negative. Penn State honored him in 2016, a student who spoke out against his legacy was slammed with hate mail.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 11, 2020

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dave Meltzer is not your friend

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
shave seltzer on the other hand...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Half an hour of Pampero Firpo talk starting at 1:06 on the latest WOR including Dave telling a story about embarrassing himself in front of Pampero and 5 minutes of Jack Dempsey vs Luis Firpo chat.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Hulk Hogan got a heroes welcome when he returned and Hollywood couldn't wait to let Mel Gibson back in.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Lmao at Valley trying to get Dave to take a pause to cough

The steamroller stops for nothing

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Low Desert Punk posted:

You would think Jim would have realized this by now but nope he falls into the trap everytime.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Countdown until Dave does it again and completely apologists for Tessa Blanchard as hes been singing her praises forever, Tully is an old friend, and "its not a big deal" jealousy.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

e:

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 14, 2020

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Darby is on the latest Talk is Jericho, you should listen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Low Desert Punk posted:

I loved this so much. Jim's gentle,"Take a pause..." and Dave just hacking his way through anyway :allears:

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

MassRafTer posted:

Heard he went in on Gabe, excited to check it out

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I know I say it a lot, but god drat is Jim Valley a good host. His long digression on WOL today "Because of the fans" ending with the Law & Order theme music playing him into the break was just a joy to listen to.

MassRafTer posted:

Jericho: You were signed to a contract with Evolve, what does that entail?
Darby: Being a moron.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 12, 2020

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
When I was at the Chicago meet & greet, I was disappointed it was Jim Valley because I hadn't listened to any of his stuff yet so I didn't say anything to him. Not even six months later, and I'm regretful.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I've said this before but it's so funny that Jim Valley's first run in the business was as the business partner and co-commentator with pre fame Jonny Fairplay for a post modern indie they ran.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1215924654675656705

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Oliver Garden will be the next big NXT signing.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Get your Dave praise in now before the next WOR comes out and he covers the cancellation of Tessa Blanchard.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Kenny Oliver-Garden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Hopefully eventually Dave realizes that defending old racist pieces of poo poo isn't the business model he should follow

I mean I know it's making WWE record amounts of profit but