Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Geralt's wish is more something to bind their fates together, because a djinn cannot kill his own master. He was smitten with Yen already, and didn't want her to die in the rubble when the house came down around them. So the djinn whisks them away to safety and fucks off 'cause it was the third wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Yea I forgot that a question of price is before the last wish. The books pull the same kind of timeline fuckery - but it’s more literary anthology / Conan / Elric style. Annoying, but familiar.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Really that’s peak Witcher story right there

Spends an episode killing monsters (offscreen), killing people, fighting wild curse/marriage magics, then sets up an entire country for a fall by accidentally asking for an adoptive kid who just happens to be the heir to the throne.

All because he was either too tired to care or too humble/brooding to ask for anything he deemed real.

And then just stumbles off while people awkwardly coughed in the background.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well he came back for her so it’s cool. Gerald isn’t anti-doing things, he’s just world weary af.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The wish was to tie his fate to Yen’s in order to save her. This is very clearly spelled out in the books too.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Just finished the season. I feel like if they choose to lean in to the campy Hercules: The Legendary Journeys energy in season 2 it will be amazing. Geralt is a solid Hercules, Jaskier is 100% Iolaus, and Yennefer even has some strong Xena vibes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

puppets freak me out posted:

Just finished the season. I feel like if they choose to lean in to the campy Hercules: The Legendary Journeys energy in season 2 it will be amazing. Geralt is a solid Hercules, Jaskier is 100% Iolaus, and Yennefer even has some strong Xena vibes.

As long as they bring in Autolycus verbatim

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's important to remember that Geralt is really old

He is an old grumpy tired man in a young hot body

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
My only question is how often Aretuza graduates people. If Yen's been loving about for decades, you'd think the world would be filled with unemployed sorcerers.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

My only question is how often Aretuza graduates people. If Yen's been loving about for decades, you'd think the world would be filled with unemployed sorcerers.

How do we know it isn’t?

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Azhais posted:

As long as they bring in Autolycus verbatim

My man

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

It is filled with sorcerers. Even a pissant town like Blaviken had a sorcerer even if it was stregobor impersonating someone else. A lot of high profile magic users advise courts but as times changed and the brotherhood lost influence there were more middling magic users who did their own thing.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

So far we've seen that not only do kings have court sorcerers, but it wasn't considered unusual for Yennifer to attach herself to the potential lord (if he killed the dragon) Sir Eyck. We've also seen a sorcerers working as a high end alchemist/apothecary and a hitman. So I think the extra sorcerers find things to do, or get themselves killed.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Since the show didn't really talk about it much: the Conjunction of the Spheres was basically the Resonance Cascade from Half Life.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The show might go into it later. We'll probably learn about it when Ciri does. So don't explain tooooooo much.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Apart from being the cause for monsters and magic the conjunction isn't really that vital to understanding the story.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

100%, but it may well be touched on later in the show so I don't want a lot of explanation for things we just think might not get touched on later. Even more backstory/world building stuff. If people wanna learn it early they can ask or google or smth.

It's not as bad as a story spoiler for sure.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I just finally watching The Witcher series and it's...good? Kinda?

Honestly I feel that being someone who has read the books is actually a disadvantage for watching the show. While it adapts the stories from first two books pretty faithfully, it also treads an extremely weird and narrow line, where someone decided to make changes (that don't seem to be necessary for TV adaptation and honestly seem to be mostly arbitrary and random) that lessens or muddle the impact/point of original stories without completely ruining it. As a result, I can recognise that what is on screen is (mostly) good, but I can't help myself but be irritated about the way they screw up details of various importance for no real reason I can discern. And while each change is relatively small and easy to integrate into plot individually, I fear that, together, they will have knock-on effect and completely derail the story into its own thing by season three. And so far I am not very convinced that the show writers can produce good original material.

Outside of the story gripes, I think I will preach to the choir - casting is more or less perfect (Cavill is great, Anya Chalotra, who I was really unsure about as Yennefer, was perfect and Freya Allan is doing the best she can with the material Ciri got), CG is hit-and-miss and costuming is generally poo poo.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I hope they save the nutsack armor for a Mel Brooks movie.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

McSpanky posted:

I hope they save the nutsack armor for a Mel Brooks movie.

yeah I would love to hear the rational of whoever greenlit that

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Is there any sort of historical precedent for the terrible Niilfgardian armor or did someone fabricate that design from scratch? Because goddamn is that some ungainly looking poo poo and it pulls me out of every scene when it's on camera.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The showrunner said she wanted the Nilfgaardian armor to look lovely because Nilfgaard is a plucky underdog who can't afford proper equipment.

Yes, that's really what she said.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Noslo posted:

yeah I would love to hear the rational of whoever greenlit that

I saw an explanation that it was meant to look rough and ready, since the nilfgardians were all about numbers not elite troops. But...casting armour like that would be...difficult. It makes no sense and looks ridiculous.

Really grown to like Cavill though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey guys I'm gonna take a bit of a break from this thread but I want you to know that everyone who ever disagreed with me about anything is racist and sexist and a trans phone.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
Rewatched a couple of episodes on a computer monitor - wow, some of the CG looks a whole ton better than I thought.
It also makes the Nilfgard armour look so much worse even in the dark.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Hey guys I'm gonna take a bit of a break from this thread but I want you to know that everyone who ever disagreed with me about anything is racist and sexist and a trans phone.

?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

The showrunner said she wanted the Nilfgaardian armor to look lovely because Nilfgaard is a plucky underdog who can't afford proper equipment.

the show runner seems to miss why they are so terrifying in the books.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

steinrokkan posted:

I read that, and it's such a non-answer that I'm pissed the interviewer didn't press her further. The plucky underdog army is supposed to wear mismatched gear with holes and patches, beat-up leather armor, those lovely little hats the Freys wore in Game of Thrones. The question is really "why do these guys have a very specific and unique look that makes them look like evil scrotums?" The evil scrotum gear doesn't look particularly cheap or anything, either.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Phenotype posted:

I read that, and it's such a non-answer that I'm pissed the interviewer didn't press her further. The plucky underdog army is supposed to wear mismatched gear with holes and patches, beat-up leather armor, those lovely little hats the Freys wore in Game of Thrones. The question is really "why do these guys have a very specific and unique look that makes them look like evil scrotums?" The evil scrotum gear doesn't look particularly cheap or anything, either.

It really does look cheap, though. It's like they used some kind of vacuum pump to seal some plastic over a cheap slab of wood and left the wrinkles since it gives them some texture.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It really does look cheap, though. It's like they used some kind of vacuum pump to seal some plastic over a cheap slab of wood and left the wrinkles since it gives them some texture.

Maybe cheap as far as 21st century prop-making techniques, but not cheap in terms of what a medieval army would be able to churn out. I mean, if her goal was to make them look like the plucky underdogs wearing crappy gear, it doesn't work. They have a very particular look that doesn't say "underdogs with bad equipment".

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Phenotype posted:

Maybe cheap as far as 21st century prop-making techniques, but not cheap in terms of what a medieval army would be able to churn out. I mean, if her goal was to make them look like the plucky underdogs wearing crappy gear, it doesn't work. They have a very particular look that doesn't say "underdogs with bad equipment".

I'm pretty sure the goal of that interview was "let's pretend this was intentional and not budget issues because that would sound bad."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"Wearing last year's garbage bags" is a go to joke of mine, but in this case it's pretty much true.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It would've been bettter for her to say it was a production error they didn't have the time to fix.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I just thought they were equipped like LOTR Orcs for no good reason, with the lovely armor and those spiky swords. When everything else about them said "Professional Disciplined army" lead by people who had no morals.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ElBrak posted:

I just thought they were equipped like LOTR Orcs for no good reason, with the lovely armor and those spiky swords. When everything else about them said "Professional Disciplined army" lead by people who had no morals.

Except the LOTR Orcs had actual uniforms and professionally made armour. Even the more ungainly mobs from Mordor still had some uniformity to them.

If they wanted Nilfgaard to look like they were throwing a huge militia forward rather than professional state troops, they should have given them just a helmet and shield. Maybe some of the richer troops have mail or even plate armour. I will give them props for arming most of them with axes, which are easier to use than swords. I'd prefer spears because "pointy bit goes in other man" is so simple anyone can do it, but i'll take axes.

The more I think on it, though, the more it feels like it was a designer choice but with their limited budget they had to go ahead with what they had. I imagine they had the Cintrian and Temerian armours done already but by the time they got to Nilfgaard the money was tight. Obviously the showrunner would try to explain it as an artistic choice rather than a financial one. The show wasn't really guaranteed to be a hit until it aired, so you don't want to talk about production difficulties while you're in hype mode.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 12, 2020

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I don't buy any other answer other than "the costume designer thought it looked cool and so did other higher-ups, or nobody cared enough to naysay it"

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
If nothing else, it looks brand new and shiny.

They certainly can do crappy, beaten up gear:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pro screengrab right here.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever