Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

I'll have to figure out the game night for Mox Bellevue. I live in the Renton area, so Mox Ballard is horrible to get to, especially on a weekday.

Looks like Sunday evenings - but all these stores have faceboook pages and discords to schedule games on and you can usually get games in on other days, at least at the two Moxes, since they each have 4 dedicated wargaming only tables + stuff to set up more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

I said come in! posted:

I'll have to figure out the game night for Mox Bellevue. I live in the Renton area, so Mox Ballard is horrible to get to, especially on a weekday.

I'm up in Bothell, which is even worse to get to from Renton than Bellevue. There aren't any game stores with room for 40k tables, but my warham room is nearing game-ready status!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Booley posted:

Looks like Sunday evenings - but all these stores have faceboook pages and discords to schedule games on and you can usually get games in on other days, at least at the two Moxes, since they each have 4 dedicated wargaming only tables + stuff to set up more.

Thank you, I finally found their schedule. I'll stop making GBS threads up the thread now! I am going from "I only want to paint :colbert: " to being excited about finally wanting to play actual games of WH40K.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Last Few Hours of Posts posted:

Awesome paint jobs

Whoever said this thread is a mix of being both inspirational and crushing is right on the money.

Anyone done some terrain lately? I love seeing scratchbuilt junk terrain.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 11, 2020

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I am proud of everyone and their models.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Booley posted:

terracrux in tacoma does friday nights (don't' know how busy they are since i'm not driving to tacoma)

Terracrux varies, but there's usually a pretty good turn out and even on a slow night you'll find 3 or 4 people looking to play. They have a pretty solid mix of competitiveness. They also have been running one ITC tournament every other month and I think they are aiming for monthly.

Avoid the Game Matrix and any tournament there or in the Olympia area (PlayLive and Olympic Cards and Comics). OCC is a great store but the local TO is poo poo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If I just say "hey i'm brand new, looking to learn how to play Kill Team / 40K" people are usually pretty friendly and willing to teach, I take it? Besides my figures, is there anything else I should bring with me? I want to make sure to follow any :decorum: .

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Lizard Combatant posted:

Whoever said this thread is a mix of being both inspirational and crushing is right on the money.

Funny you should ask; I'm working on a base for my redemptor dread right now.

Kinda crappy now, but I think it'll look all right once I get the mud effects on it. I also have some barbed wire that'll be stretched behind the terminator.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Some barbed wire hanging from the antitank obstacle will look dope!
A strand hanging from the dread's foot, like he just walked through it?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Ooh, that's an excellent idea.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Booley posted:

Did some painting this year.

Those are OK I guess

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Finished my first model of 2020. It probably needs some more work, but I'm satisfied with it for now!

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

loving awesome, the maggoty texture of the cloak is perf

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The cloak gives me anxiety! :P That is a fantastic paint job.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Combatant posted:

I've been working on a board and some big scratch built terrain pieces for it. This one is almost done:

There's a flickering light effect in the smoke that is hard to see in the pictures:

Few more angles:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Khisanth Magus posted:

I was originally planning on magnetizing the bases of my models and using a metal toolbox i originally used to transport Infinity models to transport my 40k models, but I realized that the flight bases of drones don't have any gap under them to put a magnet. Has anyone done anything similar and has any recommendations?

Drill 3 holes underneath around the perimeter and put 3-4 neodymium magnets in it- just set ones thin enough not to stick out there too off the base.

You obviously would need to paint the base of course.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

InsidiousMuppet posted:

Finished my first model of 2020. It probably needs some more work, but I'm satisfied with it for now!

That is gross as hell and I am absolutely copying it when I paint that model.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Does anyone who has a Chaos Land Raider know where the combi melta is on the sprue? I can see the flamer and two bolters (that don’t look like they do in the instructions) and I’m slowly going mad.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Thanks for the feedback guys! My big hobby goal for 2020 is to finish my Death Guard I started a couple years ago when I got back into the hobby, which won't be too hard. I have a few tanks and one offs here and there to do. Plus I'm going back and fixing bases of stuff I started two years ago like Typhus and the Plague Surgeon. Now I realize how good it looks to hit that Armageddon Dust with Aggrax Earthshade after the fact!

Behold my basing brushes and despair.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

InsidiousMuppet posted:

Thanks for the feedback guys! My big hobby goal for 2020 is to finish my Death Guard I started a couple years ago when I got back into the hobby, which won't be too hard. I have a few tanks and one offs here and there to do. Plus I'm going back and fixing bases of stuff I started two years ago like Typhus and the Plague Surgeon. Now I realize how good it looks to hit that Armageddon Dust with Aggrax Earthshade after the fact!

Behold my basing brushes and despair.

Dude... your bases... they look like that yogurt cap you find in the back of the fridge 6 months too late...

That is so dope. I wish I could run Nurgle poo poo in my Dark Heresy campaign,but too many phobia triggers for the players.

I'm sending them this pic tho xD

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Khisanth Magus posted:

I was originally planning on magnetizing the bases of my models and using a metal toolbox i originally used to transport Infinity models to transport my 40k models, but I realized that the flight bases of drones don't have any gap under them to put a magnet. Has anyone done anything similar and has any recommendations?

An update to my previous post, when I got home I was curious and using a neodymium magnet, you can put a single one in the center by drilling it out from the bottom juuuuussst enough that the magnet sits flush, and to where the stem can be glued through the top with enough left to be inserted. My only advice is to take your time with it and don’t drill too far in.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I'm excited to see Sisters of Battle up for pre-order, but I don't know if I should order the whole $225 set or stick to something smaller. A couple of weeks ago, I went to get Tech Priest Grombidal, and I also ended up buying a Rhino as well.

The Triumph of Saint Katherine looks really cool, but it also seems like it'd be difficult to paint.

Is there a difference between the Battle Sisters Squad, and the Dominions & Celestians set?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I think the squad is your basic infantry like Ork Boyz the other two get stronger weaponry, not sure if they have different numbers of models though.

Edit: just looked at the GW page and realised they’re doing the “can also be built as” thing with them, unfortunately I don’t have any experience with models like that, might just be what set of building instructions you get that changes.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 11, 2020

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

I've not tried this myself but maybe some round magnet stickers on the bottom of the bases? Something like this maybe?: https://www.amazon.com/Round-Magnets-Adhesive-Backing-Alternative/dp/B07XDC7FP9

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

Is there a difference between the Battle Sisters Squad, and the Dominions & Celestians set?

No, they're all the same box, and there are just three different ways you can build them.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Week 2, unit 2...I foresee this pace slowing soon as next is an impulsor

Was going to go back and re-highlight and touch up, and thought about it...they are troops, the point of this is to get an army painted and done, do I really need to obsess on the details?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Booger posted:

do I really need to obsess on the details?

Yes.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Well, I ended up just ordering the Battle Sister Squad and Canoness Veridyan. I wanted to get the Triumph of Saint Katherine, but I don't think I want to tackle something that elaborate yet, and I'm sure it's not going to go out of print anytime soon.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I completed a test model for my synthwave inspired Sisters of Battle - The Order of the Turbo Martyr. Really quickly made, I mostly wanted to see how the colors worked when down.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Fake James posted:

I completed a test model for my synthwave inspired Sisters of Battle - The Order of the Turbo Martyr. Really quickly made, I mostly wanted to see how the colors worked when down.

:eyepop:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Fake James posted:

You are so loved.

I can almost hear the Carpenter Brut soundtrack.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Duct Tape posted:

I'm up in Bothell, which is even worse to get to from Renton than Bellevue. There aren't any game stores with room for 40k tables, but my warham room is nearing game-ready status!

Is Mugu not a thing anymore?

(I'm in Lynnwood)

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Is Mugu not a thing anymore?

(I'm in Lynnwood)

Mugu is still around and has tons of tables, but it's up in Everett. I meant that city-limits Bothell doesn't have any games stores with tables. Zulu's is a pretty convenient FLGS in downtown Bothell, but they don't have the space for 40k tables.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I played my first two games of 40K today at my FLGS, Heroes and Villains in Tucson. It's taken me a long time to get to this point, but I had a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I only got one picture that didn't look like crap. Hopefully I can do better in the future.

I'm going to give a quick set-up and some narrative, and see how that goes.

Game setup: The first two weeks are about getting people used to the basics of playing their units. No one counts as battleforged, so no ork kulturs, space marine chapter tactics or doctrines, etc. No real missions at this point, just kill all the other guys.

My units: Gravis Captain and five intercessors, all from the Dark Imperium box.

The shop is fairly loose on WYSIWYG, especially while everyone's learning the game and their armies. The intercessors were played mostly as-is, except that my sergeant had a power sword. When we start playing with battleforged rules, I'll play them as stalker bolt rifles.

My Narrative: Strange signals have emanated from the Imperium world Herosand V. These signals have attracted the attention of the forces of Chaos, Tau, and Eldar. As these enemies landed on the ill-defended planet, long-dead mechanisms came to life, and a host of necrons rose to the surface! The Imperium responded swiftly, sending in units from all of its forces, whether Space Marines or Sisters of Battle, Astra Militarum or Adeptus Mechanicus. Unfortunately, this increase in forces has attracted the attention of Tyrannids (seeking biomass) and Orks (seeking a good krumpin'). With all of these forces battling for supremacy, who will win?

Match 1: Salamanders

Their Forces: Ten intercessors with autobolt rifles.

quote:

Having landed on the same part of the planet as several other units of Space Marines, Captain Incusator needed to discuss the priorities of deployment. Discussions broke down when several other chapters wanted to take the same areas he did. The Salamanders believed that there were Dark Eldar in the area, and called priority against their ancient enemies.

"But the flesh is weak," the captain replied.

"Right, but these are our ancient enemies," said the sergeant commanding the Salamanders.

"I understand," the captain said, nodding. "However, the flesh, lads. Terribly weak stuff, eh?"

"But fire isn't. And we have a lot of it. Fire, that is. It's kind of our thing? You may have heard?"

Unable to come to an accommodation, they decided to settle the matter through a training exercise, with the winner to take the deployment.

The small battlefield had three pieces of terrain; two LOS-blocking bits and some ruins in the middle. My opponent brought ten intercessors with auto-bolters. He split the squad into two with Combat Squads, and placed them towards the front so he could get into cover as quickly as possible.

He got the better of things the first few rounds, as I had to foot-slog after his boys. The greater volume of fire from his auto-bolters gave him a distinct advantage. However, it turned around once my Captain got into melee.

The grav captain smashes face, plain to say. He would have smashed even more face if I'd remembered to use the extra attack I got from Shock Assault, but with some fire support from my intercessors, he took down the first squad pretty quickly, taking only a few wounds in the process.

The second squad stayed hunkered down in the ruins. They shot, and were able to get another couple of wounds. This was probably a mistake, however, since I was able to get close in and pin him with my grav captain, and then toss my intercessors into combat with him.

Pictured: Face-smashing in action.

I did lose one of my intercessors to overwatch, but then my volume of attacks took out the rest of his squad.

Match 2: Grey Knights

Their Forces: Five Grey Knight Terminators.

quote:

Having bested the Salamanders (with their bolt rifles set to stun, naturally), Captain Incusator was next challenged by a squad of Grey Knights.

"It's just, y'know there are Chaos Daemons out there," they said. "That's what we do, fight Daemons, Chaos Sorcerers, things of that."

"I fully understand," Captain Incusator said, sipping his Medusan tea. "But the flesh is weak."

"Yeah, but we're gonna use our psychic powers. Throw mind bullets at 'em."

"Right, mind bullets. But what is the mind but another form of flesh, old chap?" he replied. "Which is to say weak. No, I think we'd better take this one."

Unfortunately, they were not moved by the unassailable logic of his position, and once more he would need to pull out the nerf setting on his power sword to teach these rapscallions a lesson!

Unfortunately, no pictures of this one. This time, there were three pieces of LOS-blocking terrain, one in each deployment zone, one in the middle of the map.

This one I probably should have lost, to be honest. The grey knights had vortex of doom, and the only reason it didn't rip me up more was that I had made the (tactically questionable) decision to split up my intercessors and captain, getting him up close with the idea of them giving fire support until he had them tied up. As it was, he took several mortal wounds from Vortex, and then got smacked up pretty good. Luckily, he was able to take two of them out in melee, before my intercessor squad was able to get in and clean things up.

However, this honestly was only possible because the other player was rolling like crap. His shooting was better, his melee was better, and he had a psychic phase. My only advantage was having more Wounds for him to eat through. Not being battleforged hurt me a lot more than it hurt him. Luckily for me, I don't think he got above a two in his last two rounds. Thanks to that, I was able to take him out with three intercessors remaining.

quote:

Though he was shaken up by the Grey Knights' Diet Smite and larp weapons, Captain Incusator's men were able to hold the day. Now assured of their battlefield of choice, they were poised to show the power and strength of pure iron will to all who fought on Herosand V!

Next week will be more of the same, and I'll try to get more pictures this time. Week after that, we move up to 400 points, and everyone will count as battleforged.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I am dumb and can’t see the aesthetic difference between battle sisters / dominions / celestines.

But I still think they are rad models.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I am dumb and can’t see the aesthetic difference between battle sisters / dominions / celestines.

But I still think they are rad models.

There isnt, it just affects composition of weapon options. It was a cost saving measure back with the metal models and is now baked into the army so they just rolled with it

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, the basic sisters kit comes with a shitload of special weapons. Dominions are definitely covered. I don't know what separates celestians though.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

RagnarokAngel posted:

There isnt, it just affects composition of weapon options. It was a cost saving measure back with the metal models and is now baked into the army so they just rolled with it

That seems confusing for people playing against SoBs if the same model can be three different data sheets.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

That seems confusing for people playing against SoBs if the same model can be three different data sheets.

Its fine. You just need to know weapon composition. If you fight sisters enough for it to matter it becomes second nature. Stat/ability wise theres not really any tricks.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Kind of like Marines have models that can be tac squads, veterans, etc...

Besides, Dominions only get the pre-game move, after that they function just like a Battle Sister squad. Then Celestians are supposed to have a gold fluer de lis on their helmets to differentiate.