Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

BrownieVK posted:

What's the point of the Series X then? At what point do we get where making games run on the lowest common denominator adversely effects the game?
It's kind of how PC has min spec, which I get but the OG bone is so drat old and slow at this point.

I'm honestly curious as I will be buying a Series X regardless I just don't get the point of compromising on all games so they can run (poorly) on the poo poo hardware. Maybe I'm missing something here?

Running games released this year at more than 20 fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Running games released this year at more than 20 fps.

I got bad news for you champ

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
The one X already does that though lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

What? you don't want to know 30 different things that are now available to buy on video services you don't use just to get to one you do use?

american psn is a cursed region, forced to eat crow daily due to it propping up xbox while fortress europe has a more usable store layout and none of whatever that is.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

BrownieVK posted:

The one X already does that though lol

The One X has a lovely cpu too.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

BrownieVK posted:

What's the point of the Series X then? At what point do we get where making games run on the lowest common denominator adversely effects the game?
It's kind of how PC has min spec, which I get but the OG bone is so drat old and slow at this point.

I'm honestly curious as I will be buying a Series X regardless I just don't get the point of compromising on all games so they can run (poorly) on the poo poo hardware. Maybe I'm missing something here?

The point of the Series X will be to
A) create a user friendly storefront for microsoft that isn't as difficult to manage as the Xbox one,

B) to implement ray tracing

C) to create a system capable of running 7k resolution.

The series X is literally going to be designed for people who are buying the $2-3k TV's, Atmos compliant soundbars, etc. It's so they can use the stuff they payed a ton of money for to its utmost. Nothing is "exclusive" for two years because of Gamepass, if we want to be honest. Since microsoft will be running the Series X on software with that's compatible with the Xbone, there's no reason to force developers to not sell on the XBone or to lower the value of gamepass by making games that can't go on it just as the service is starting to take off and people are actually starting to pay full price for it. Games will be exclusive to the Series X when they hit a techonology point where it's no longer feasible for them to just run on the Xbone (probably when Ray Tracing becomes standard, or some other graphics changes make the cards in the Xbone X completely obsolete).

As for the three models thing, they are probably going to be something along the lines of:

Sad edition - no cd/dvd drive, download only or possibly even XCloud streaming service only as a very cheap option so they can have the cheapest console of the next generation.

Series X normal edition - what we've seen, comes with hard drive and possibly a Blueray drive (although possibly not - blue ray movie sales are in the garbage, and we may hit a point where you can't feasibly compress the files of a modern game onto a blue ray and there isn't really a profit motive to make a bigger non-usb portable storage device).

Series X super duper streamer Ninja edition - Streamer ready, will come with a built in recording device and all the other junk necessary for your 14 year old to start his mixer career, just like his favorite e-celeb. All the junk you need to run a stream while gaming so you don't need a separate PC, possibly even dual monitor/tv support so you can manage your chat without a second device.

That hits all their goals in terms of price and what they are pushing for the next gen.

Finally, as for the 2013 e3 conference - the announcement was handled poorly, but nothing they said or announced in that conference wasn't right. We just weren't ready to accept the digital future of games 7 years ago.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'd buy something on the level of the Pro/X but with a decent cpu and a proper ssd if given the chance.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'd buy something on the level of the Pro/X but with a decent cpu and a proper ssd if given the chance.

PS5 out holiday 2020

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

PS5 out holiday 2020

If the PS5 is only on the level of the Pro there are going to be a bunch of angry gamers.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

it's called a cheap pc

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

looking at consoles on raw specs is really meaningless, even this stupid $700 super series x is going to be at like 3.5ghz. the base consoles are still running games a 1.7ghz cpu on a pc literally couldnt boot. theyre going to have proper ssds? dunno what you mean unless you mean a user accessible m2 slot or ur worried itll be sata for some reason. dont see what you mean, just buy a pc i guess?

TheAnomaly posted:

Series X super duper streamer Ninja edition - Streamer ready, will come with a built in recording device and all the other junk necessary for your 14 year old to start his mixer career, just like his favorite e-celeb. All the junk you need to run a stream while gaming so you don't need a separate PC, possibly even dual monitor/tv support so you can manage your chat without a second device.

...thats already what all ps4 and xbones do. all pcs do it as well. on die video stuff for streaming is a standard. you dont need a seperate pc even on pc. people use capture cards and seperate PCs when theyre like, actually earning, until that point its already good enough? no idea what this is even proposing really or who would care about it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
also series x to run at 8k? absolutely no way will it be running games with modern graphics at 8k native thats like a joke right. its a 4 times increase in the number of pixels lmao

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
That'd be hard for normal pixels to say nothing of the artisanal variety served up by xbox

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
8K is a marketing buzzword but I still bet we get 8K video game content before we get 8K consumer video content.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

8K is a marketing buzzword but I still bet we get 8K video game content before we get 8K consumer video content.

Nah. Netflix will be doing 8K in a few years no doubt at all. The consumer electronics will need another format to sell cinephiles. Meanwhile the current crop of consoles will be pushing out checkerboard 4K at 30fps

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

American McGay posted:

a 2080ti can drop frames at 4k and gpu power gains have slowed a lot. native 8k is a 4 times increase over 4k.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The next consoles will be 8k in the same way the xbox 360 was a 1080p system.

Stux posted:

looking at consoles on raw specs is really meaningless, even this stupid $700 super series x is going to be at like 3.5ghz. the base consoles are still running games a 1.7ghz cpu on a pc literally couldnt boot. theyre going to have proper ssds? dunno what you mean unless you mean a user accessible m2 slot or ur worried itll be sata for some reason. dont see what you mean, just buy a pc i guess?

An ssd that's not crippled by running over usb and whatever bottlenecks the current consoles have.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

Japan's already had 8K video broadcasting for over a year. The upcoming Olympics will be fully available in 8K there.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

The next consoles will be 8k in the same way the xbox 360 was a 1080p system.

An ssd that's not crippled by running over usb and whatever bottlenecks the current consoles have.

theyre both going to be using hard soldered nvme

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Stux posted:

theyre both going to be using hard soldered nvme

I know, I just don't care about whatever ray tracing 8k stuff they are promising on top of that and I'm not interested in paying a premium for it.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

I know, I just don't care about whatever ray tracing 8k stuff they are promising on top of that and I'm not interested in paying a premium for it.

once again, have you heard of personal computers

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

once again, have you heard of personal computers

Windows sucks.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:hai:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

i got more bad news about the xbox for you bro

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

i got the enterprise ltsc version of win 10 now 7 is dead and i still had to edit group policies after to make it not do update pop ups in the middle of the screen lmao

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

i got more bad news about the xbox for you bro

I have no preference for the xbox over the ps5 so you can drop these dumb posts.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

American McGay posted:

Actually they're just going to keep their PS4s.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1215697003516190723

(The PS5 has no games)

While Sony has been skipping a lot of events because they have nothing to show (not helped by shutting down so many of their studios) I think that in general, it's going to become more widespread across the industry with less games being released in general. It won't just be Sony showing the exact same game at events for five years before it's released, it'll be everyone. Next gen is going to soak up a lot of resources and we already have big developers who only managed to put out one or two games this console gen, and with the increased work needed for next gen it's going to slow things down even more and become a bigger strain for struggling devs, in my opinion.

I think the push to GaaS is only going to exacerbate this, as well. I can see studios ending up at a spot where they have their one game that's continually updated and iterated on, it'll be too much work to keep making sequels every few years.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The PS4 dash is also woeful. God forbid you go to the video/tv menu

The thing that bugs me about it now (after the patch to finally move all the junk apps into a single folder) is that not every game has a background and is just blue (e.g. Bloodborne and Diablo 3) and ever since Sony changed the section under a game when selecting a tile (why?????????????) most developers don't bother now and it's just left blank, apart from the small section on the left with likes and such. They really screwed up the UI with that change and now it's botched for every game. I like that for The Last of Us for example, when you go down it brings up the background art and the music starts playing, but there's no consistency and the best game on the system ignores it entirely.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The latest Ryzen mobile parts are pretty impressive. How practical would a 4c/8t Zen 2 APU with graphics power roughly equivalent to an Xbox One S be in a handheld form factor? Is it something that could conceivably exist?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

No idea but apparently Nintendo has a more powerful Switch that they'll be launching this year?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

SUNKOS posted:

No idea but apparently Nintendo has a more powerful Switch that they'll be launching this year?

Maybe, but there was the same rumour last year too.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

RotTD has a "PC graphics" mode on the X that runs in 1080p30 (it's not present in Shadow for some reason, maybe they didn't want to add the Nixxes assets to the download). I'd be content with the new consoles if they both manage to hit a stable 1080p60 with that level of visual quality, but as we all know, it's gonna be checkerboard 8K30 all the way down :smith:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

SUNKOS posted:

A high-end Switch is still going to need dedicated ports and is unlikely to stray far from the current architecture of which Nvidia has barely iterated on. A portable XBOX using Ryzen parts would make porting games virtually effortless due to the shared architecture, maybe even completely transparent. It's not something I've seen done since the 90s, when Sega turned the Genesis into a portable (admittedly a disaster). It just seems like the circumstances are lining up for it to happen, while there will undoubtedly be some Series X exclusives the vast majority of games aren't going to need the intense graphical and CPU horsepower of the more powerful consoles to run a game at 720/1080p at around 30-60fps. A portable console that could hit those performance targets, with cross play, cross saves and a massive library at launch would be absolutely awesome.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 11, 2020

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Maybe, but there was the same rumour last year too.

It's the same rumor, they(Japanese reporter) mentioned last year the ”pro” was delayed because Nintendo moved their operations to SEA to get away from Trump tariffs in China.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 11, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

SUNKOS posted:

While Sony has been skipping a lot of events because they have nothing to show (not helped by shutting down so many of their studios) I think that in general, it's going to become more widespread across the industry with less games being released in general. It won't just be Sony showing the exact same game at events for five years before it's released, it'll be everyone. Next gen is going to soak up a lot of resources and we already have big developers who only managed to put out one or two games this console gen, and with the increased work needed for next gen it's going to slow things down even more and become a bigger strain for struggling devs, in my opinion.

which studios? only ones i remember are the wipout devs and the driveclub devs and they were both like 5 years ago. i think what happened more was that they just showed everything really upfront and early, its not like theres a lack of first party titles from them. in fact its generally one of the most stacked generations in a while for just the pure amount of games.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

which studios? only ones i remember are the wipout devs and the driveclub devs and they were both like 5 years ago. i think what happened more was that they just showed everything really upfront and early, its not like theres a lack of first party titles from them. in fact its generally one of the most stacked generations in a while for just the pure amount of games.
Guerrilla Cambridge, too, 3 years ago.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah gc got the sony version of relegated to kinect games (vr) and shut down

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

anybody else looking forward to the real guerilla game's next project

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Multiplayer is a lock for hzd2 so yeah. It was taken out of 1 at the last minute for performance reasons.

So yes eth. I am. Tho im worried it will be even more of a farcry clone instead of a mon hun

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

SUNKOS posted:

I think the push to GaaS is only going to exacerbate this, as well. I can see studios ending up at a spot where they have their one game that's continually updated and iterated on, it'll be too much work to keep making sequels every few years.

:hai:

Costs are going up, budgets are growing because market expectations are setting a really high standard. More people, more resources, more time.

I do think Nintendo could manage to act as a wildcard in this scenario and continue at their own pace, as they tend to not chase the industry so aggressively. They might release a Switch hardware upgrade that doesn't come close to what the next-gen systems can do and potentially lose out ports of the biggest AAA games as a result, landing them in similar territory as the Wii years - not quite as drastic but there will probably be a notable performance difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Real hurthling! posted:

Multiplayer is a lock for hzd2 so yeah. It was taken out of 1 at the last minute for performance reasons.

So yes eth. I am. Tho im worried it will be even more of a farcry clone instead of a mon hun

If I could get a wish for HZD2, it would be closer to shadow of mordor/war. Like have multiple AI modules (or whatever) that control the region and unique machines, like the captains in the shadow games.