Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Necrothatcher posted:

I have a fever and am lying in sweat coated streets with

SKIM
BEL
SHANKS
THE
RAIL
WAY
CAT

on an endless loop in my brain. Kill me.

The cat of the railway train?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I'm at the last screening of Cats my area will ever have and it's sparsely populated with old people that have no idea what they're getting themselves into. This is about the best way a second viewing of Cats could go.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

overmind2000 posted:

I'm at the last screening of Cats my area will ever have and it's sparsely populated with old people that have no idea what they're getting themselves into. This is about the best way a second viewing of Cats could go.

lmao

You know they just wanna see Judi Dench's cat crotch. Ol' Deuteronomy's naughty bits.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

The wretched cockroach scene is on youtube now

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Uei5Qk9RM

Why does the cockroaches have tits?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Alhazred posted:

Why wouldn't they? Cats is a very horny musical.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

:allears:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Cats absolutely holds up when watching it more than once. It's a delightful nightmare, a delightmare if you will.

Some things that stood out while watching it again:

- Tom Hooper is an awful director. The film is full of close-up head shots of characters that aren't emoting when the camera is on them. It's like no one told them that they were the focus of the shot.

- Rebel Wilson and James Corden are loving terrible and their songs nearly kill the first half of the movie if The Rum Tum Tugger and Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer didn't come immediately after them, respectively.

- The CG mice are disturbing but one of them thanks Rum Tum Tugger for not eating it after he throws it away during his song. That was pretty great.

- I have newfound respect for Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer, their part of the movie is fun and the only time that the bizarre look of tiny cat people in an oversized human world works.

- Judi Dench and Ian McKellen both have faces that are about 25% CGed which is way worse than bad CG or no CG at all. The film is basically trolling them for being in it.

- As far as songs go Skimbleshanks The Railway Cat (The Cat of The Railway Train) and Mr. Mistoffelees carry the second half of the film.

- It's a drat shame that the film takes away Rum Tum Tugger singing most of Mr. Mistoffelees, the whole song is a lot weaker without it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZQ_RgpO2T8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV8pkcZUXAg

- Why doesn't Mr. Mistoffelees dance during his song? It's kind of a thing in the musical. Look at that good boy go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7OrFAlcJYw

- I'm buying this on Blu-ray, DVD, and every other format the moment it's available.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 9, 2020

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

overmind2000 posted:

- Tom Hooper is an awful director. The film is full of close-up head shots of characters that aren't emoting when the camera is on them. It's like no one told them that they were the focus of the shot.

I feel like the "everything is an ultra tight headshot" wasn't a deliberate choice but is a result of whatever entirely nonfunctional animation technique they are doing. Like I feel like there is a bunch of screen tests of big elaborate dance numbers that utterly failed to be animatable, and the last hour of production was them frantically ripping out unworkable action and replacing them with "stay perfectly still and perfectly straight to the camera so this instagram filter can track you, we are out of money"

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like the "everything is an ultra tight headshot" wasn't a deliberate choice but is a result of whatever entirely nonfunctional animation technique they are doing. Like I feel like there is a bunch of screen tests of big elaborate dance numbers that utterly failed to be animatable, and the last hour of production was them frantically ripping out unworkable action and replacing them with "stay perfectly still and perfectly straight to the camera so this instagram filter can track you, we are out of money"

I think it’s a Column A, Column B kind of thing. A lot of shots are unusable, but also Tom Hooper makes strange framing choices. I love the shot in the SKIMBLEshanks song where it’s zoomed WAY too far out.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

After overmind2000 mentioned the headshots, it made me think of Les Mis. I feel like I remember a lot of tight headshots in there as well, especially during Fantine's song.

Hooper is not the director we need for musicals, but he's definitely the director we deserve for addictive and horrible musical movie adaptations.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Nah, Les Mis was shot exactly the same way (and it was even more obnoxious there because everything was handheld as well). It hurt that movie even more because Les Mis is supposed to be a grand sweeping spectacle and it never once felt like it.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Yes, I was going to say the same about Les Mis. I had very little sense of place in that movie, which really sucks for a story that's so about its historical setting. I think Fantine's song works really well that way, but *every* song is shot right on people's faces, and I just don't need to stare directly at Hugh Jackman's face that often or for that long.

I guess I think Cats is better than Les Mis in that sense? But only because it's so rare to see a Zardoz-level conceptual failure in a modern studio release. Usually these expensive event films suck because they're warmed-over wedding food designed to offend nobody. This movie seemed so confident in its batshit choices, it was just one bizarre thing after the next and I was never bored even if I was confounded.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Xealot posted:

Yes, I was going to say the same about Les Mis. I had very little sense of place in that movie, which really sucks for a story that's so about its historical setting. I think Fantine's song works really well that way, but *every* song is shot right on people's faces, and I just don't need to stare directly at Hugh Jackman's face that often or for that long.

It's not just that Les Mis is a grand sweeping spectacle, it's that it's a fully comprehensive story of a specific place and time. Hugo's novel is a doorstop but that's because practically every character in it gets their due. The Bishop of Digne, reduced to a couple song cameos, is the main character of multiple chapters before handing the baton to Valjean. What's more, aspects of the city of Paris get long expository passages, most famously the Paris sewers. Reducing that to the limited cast of characters in the musical is bad enough, but then the movie narrows the focus even more, to the individuals who happen to be singing. It's pure trash.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol the ny post

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Found this gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yv0GBMPhEQ

Timestamps:
Overture - 0:08
Jellicle Songs for Jellicle Cats - 3:02
The Naming of Cats - 9:35
The Old Gumbie Cat - 14:18
The Rum Tum Tugger - 18:34
Grizabella: The Glamour Cat - 21:30
Bustopher Jones: the Cat About Town - 24:37
Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer - 27:39
Old Deuteronomy - 31:36
The Awefull Battle of the Pekes and the Pollicles - 34:13
The Jellicle Ball - 39:10
Gus: The Theatre Cat - 43:21
Skimbleshanks: The Railway Cat - 45:25
Macavity: the Mystery Cat - 50:28
Mr. Mistoffelees - 55:10
Memory - 59:48
The Journey to the Heaviside Layer - 1:03:30
The Ad-Dressing of Cats - 1:05:00

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TTBF posted:

There were IMAX showings of Cats?!

Fake IMAX I should note, we have a theater thats the size of an airplane hangar and the screens are like twice the size of normal theater screens.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The editing is really egregious in "Memory", the cuts to other cats' faces seem entirely random. Like if there ever were a song where you'd just want one unbroken take that'd be it, that's all that's happening in the scene is Jennifer Hudson just smashing it, or if you wanted to include some reaction shots you could have used some camera movements to convey scope or surroundings, but instead it's just shot like cuts to the crowd in a football game.

The dancing is trickier because you're rotoscoping CGI onto everything so it doesn't quite have the same impact as seeing human dancers doing these elaborate moves, but man, they could have *tried*.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Fake IMAX I should note, we have a theater thats the size of an airplane hangar and the screens are like twice the size of normal theater screens.

Skimbleshanks still bangin'

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
And again, the sound mix is weird, they made Jennifer Hudson sound as rough and fake as JLo, which you'd think would be hard to do.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

theenglishman posted:

Found this gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yv0GBMPhEQ

Timestamps:
Overture - 0:08
Jellicle Songs for Jellicle Cats - 3:02
The Naming of Cats - 9:35
The Old Gumbie Cat - 14:18
The Rum Tum Tugger - 18:34
Grizabella: The Glamour Cat - 21:30
Bustopher Jones: the Cat About Town - 24:37
Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer - 27:39
Old Deuteronomy - 31:36
The Awefull Battle of the Pekes and the Pollicles - 34:13
The Jellicle Ball - 39:10
Gus: The Theatre Cat - 43:21
Skimbleshanks: The Railway Cat - 45:25
Macavity: the Mystery Cat - 50:28
Mr. Mistoffelees - 55:10
Memory - 59:48
The Journey to the Heaviside Layer - 1:03:30
The Ad-Dressing of Cats - 1:05:00

This is excellent thank you

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I agree that James Carpool and Rebel Wilson almost kill the movie and the first time I watched it up until her song I just thought it was an ugly bad movie. You NEED rebel Wilson though because the bugs and mice is the first time you fail a sanity roll and makes you begin to understand what you got yourself into.

I’d watch an entire cut without Corden though.

quote:

The editing is really egregious in "Memory", the cuts to other cats' faces seem entirely random. Like if there ever were a song where you'd just want one unbroken take that'd be it, that's all that's happening in the scene is Jennifer Hudson just smashing it,

Absolutely nothing personally against Hudson I think she’s great and she does bring it in that song if you close your eyes but somehow she is far and away the most grotesque cat. Her head is on some mutant level poo poo and the closeups with her oozing nose have made it so that I could never take the song in because I’m revolted.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 10, 2020

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

The editing is really egregious in "Memory", the cuts to other cats' faces seem entirely random.

I can only assume those inserts were studio mandated. I can think of two possible reasons:

1) Universal reigned in Hooper to make sure he didn't resort to his old tactic of "medium shot dolly to close-up" he used for nearly every solo number in Les Miz;
2) Test audiences reacted poorly to seeing Grizabella's CGI cat face for several unbroken minutes, so they added reaction closeups in reshoots.

The one piece of evidence that I think leans closer to Theory 1 is that there's a B camera medium wide shot. It's in the first trailer, with Bustopher Jones' old CGI, so this was obviously shot before the first intense negative reaction came in:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

weekly font posted:

I’d watch an entire cut without Corden though.

I hate the song, the sequence and James Corden, but somehow I think him rolling around in trash eating rotting seafood is really intrinsic to the movie. I was pretty high when watching it and that bit freaked me out the most.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I really like the song and I'm annoyed at how the movie dealt with it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It feels redundant to watch the movie for the signature song as Jennifer Hudson sang Memory live without the cat-hair, snot-nose, or muggy-expression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soLYreeI6aQ

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It feels redundant to watch the movie for the signature song as Jennifer Hudson sang Memory live without the cat-hair, snot-nose, or muggy-expression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soLYreeI6aQ

The snot is a great touch, though

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Necrothatcher posted:

I hate the song, the sequence and James Corden, but somehow I think him rolling around in trash eating rotting seafood is really intrinsic to the movie. I was pretty high when watching it and that bit freaked me out the most.

If he didn't literally grind the movie to a screeching halt to make lovely jokes I could deal with it more. Also if it was split from the other "lol fatso" song

Segue
May 23, 2007

Even a week on, I'm still impressed that the Taylor Swift song Beautiful Ghosts is the thing that's stayed with me the most.

Everything else is a weird fever dream of stage sequences that don't work at all on film but that one deliberate musical choice that echoes Memory harmonically and lyrically is the sincerest and best fitting sequence, fulfulling an interesting narrative role developing Victoria while still being a dope song.

What I'm saying is if you had Taylor Swift and Andrew Lloyd Webber direct this it would actually have been masterpiece. They basically troll all of Tom Hooper's inept decisions with their contribution.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The problem with beautiful ghosts is that its theme seems to be that the most sympathetic character in the movie doesn't actually have it that bad and Victoria has it worse. Then the movie makes no attempt to reject that or explain why Grisabella is more deserving.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

The wretched cockroach scene is on youtube now

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Uei5Qk9RM

That camera rotation knocks me on my rear end every time

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/1215885450256117760?s=19

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gumball Gumption posted:

The problem with beautiful ghosts is that its theme seems to be that the most sympathetic character in the movie doesn't actually have it that bad and Victoria has it worse. Then the movie makes no attempt to reject that or explain why Grisabella is more deserving.

I though the idea was more Victoria saying that despite Grizabella's current misery she envies and admires her for having a colourful and interesting past to remember even in her lowest moments, while Victoria basically just got here and has nothing to compare, and that there's nothing wrong with her using her memories to comfort herself. And it leads into Victoria eventually leading her into the inner circle to sing her heart out and be eligible for the choice despite the other cats' objections.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I went with a few friends tonight! We were kinda confused when we went to make reservations and the theater was... packed? Our plan was to pregame beforehand and just have a big, dumb, drunk time.

Well, that's why the theater was packed. It was a wonderful, friendly, rowdy crowd and people were laughing, cheering, joking, clapping along to the music, and gave a standing ovation. It was a goddamn blast. The theater let out and everyone was singing the Mistoffelees song as they flooded into the lobby. Everyone was just happy as hell and the couple of our group who were huge CATS fans were thrilled with the viewing.

Never been to a movie where my audience was all in on the joke, but I notice audiences in LA are more participatory overall? It's the only place I see ovations at movies on the regular.

Anyway, that was phenomenal.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Das Boo posted:

I went with a few friends tonight! We were kinda confused when we went to make reservations and the theater was... packed? Our plan was to pregame beforehand and just have a big, dumb, drunk time.

Well, that's why the theater was packed. It was a wonderful, friendly, rowdy crowd and people were laughing, cheering, joking, clapping along to the music, and gave a standing ovation. It was a goddamn blast. The theater let out and everyone was singing the Mistoffelees song as they flooded into the lobby. Everyone was just happy as hell and the couple of our group who were huge CATS fans were thrilled with the viewing.

Never been to a movie where my audience was all in on the joke, but I notice audiences in LA are more participatory overall? It's the only place I see ovations at movies on the regular.

Anyway, that was phenomenal.

Reading this makes me laugh even harder when I think about the blank reception that my theater gave Rise of Skywalker. Cats gets people excited in a way that current day Star Wars can't.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

overmind2000 posted:

Reading this makes me laugh even harder when I think about the blank reception that my theater gave Rise of Skywalker. Cats gets people excited in a way that current day Star Wars can't.

It's so sincerely awful and bizarre! It doesn't reek of corporate calculation and maximizing profits. It's not looking to please anyone. People just thought they were making art.

I'm hesitant to ever see it again because I'll never have that same audience again. But at the same time, I hope more people get to experience it like I did. My god, that was fun!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

weekly font posted:

If he didn't literally grind the movie to a screeching halt to make lovely jokes I could deal with it more. Also if it was split from the other "lol fatso" song

It makes me cross that Bustopher Jones in the movie is reduced to laughing at him because he's fat, when in the original show it's mostly admiring, like, drat, look at the size of this guy. And he's not 'sensitive' about his weight, ugh. He's extremely proud of it. Just a gigantic drat unit of a cat. Good boy.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Das Boo posted:

I'm hesitant to ever see it again because I'll never have that same audience again. But at the same time, I hope more people get to experience it like I did. My god, that was fun!

It's definitely a film worth seeing again if only because there's a lot that you don't notice the first time you see it. No guarantee that you'll get an audience that fun, of course, but it isn't a film that's gonna be in a theaters for long so any chance to see it like that is worth it.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

That's what's so interesting about it! It's an aborted idea, the only other narrative song besides Memory that actually provides a story structure. But Hooper doesn't know what to do with it so it just sits there unfinished.

It's a glimpse into a cohesive Cats world that, being unexplored, makes the rest of the movie even more confusing. And it's a great song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

HopperUK posted:

It makes me cross that Bustopher Jones in the movie is reduced to laughing at him because he's fat, when in the original show it's mostly admiring, like, drat, look at the size of this guy. And he's not 'sensitive' about his weight, ugh. He's extremely proud of it. Just a gigantic drat unit of a cat. Good boy.

That rules, I had a cat who was huge for no reason veterinary medicine could discern who lived to like 21 and never gave a gently caress. Why would a cat care anyway?