Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ungulateman posted:

"autumn's veil is a color pie break" is a pretty hot take, given that this is an effect they've repeatedly attempted to make constructed playable for a long time and at no point considered out of the color pie. (also the card you are thinking of is not autumn's veil.)

veil of summer would be fine at 1G or at G without the cantrip clause. if you're making it cost G without the cantrip clause you can also fit more text onto the card so that it doesn't work against pyroblast, which is an extraordinarily niche case but still dumb seeing as it's specifically an anti-U/B card. or you could print it in modern horizons so it can only be stupid in the older formats where blue and black actually need hate cards on that power level, like Choke or Boil.

Yeah the cantrip part is the broken part. Display of Dominance was a okay SB card in standard and did most of the same thing for one Mana more, plus could kill UB things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
So with the whole set spoiled are we expecting it to be butts?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Omen of the Sun seems like a really solid common for White

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah the cantrip part is the broken part. Display of Dominance was a okay SB card in standard and did most of the same thing for one Mana more, plus could kill UB things.

I'm pretty sure they explicitly mentioned Display of Dominance as a card in the same vein that wasn't good enough to fill the role they wanted it to, which was part of why Veil was pushed to high heaven. Although a key part of that was that the decks that you typically want this sort of card against were centred around Silumgar's Scorn and Dragonlord Ojutai (and one or both Silumgars), neither of which Display of Dominance was any good against.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Set's going to be fairly powerful in limited and Standard, couple of cards that are going to be good to crazy in eternal formats

E: I don't think the removal scales well with how powerful Escape is though

In particular Red got an incredible boost in Eternal formats for combo decks

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm calling the First Iroan Games as one of the best cards in the set for Standard

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I think the set is good but WAR, MH1, and ELD (and to a lesser extent M20) is an absolute murderer's row to follow. Probably for the best if THB is "just" decently powerful.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Fish Of Doom posted:

I mean that card goes in like every green commander deck ever and will probably see standard play, so that seems about right.

Also Prismatic Omen is like $25

It doesn't go into every green commander deck. It's not like Wayward Swordtooth is a $15 card and in a lot of decks that card does more work.

Also, compare dryad to shaky Nissa. Nissa is $5.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Retromancer posted:

It doesn't go into every green commander deck. It's not like Wayward Swordtooth is a $15 card and in a lot of decks that card does more work.

Playing an extra land on turns 3+ probably isn't as good as playing an extra land on turn 1+. Having a cheaper alternative to Prismatic Omen for Valakut decks in Modern sounds nice, but I predict Dryad will go down in price instead of up.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Retromancer posted:

Holy poo poo Wayward Swordtooth is $6 and way worse than the Dryad. Yeah Dryad seems like it'll hover around $10.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm calling the First Iroan Games as one of the best cards in the set for Standard

Green's three-drop slot is really strong though, and Games gets bodied by enchantment removal and wraths. Good if enchantment removal isn't playable though.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

GOOD

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Retromancer posted:

I like Shaky Nissa as a name.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
https://twitter.com/CedricAPhillips/status/1215743412965728257?s=19

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

That's a pretty yikes take.

How much does SCG pay their article writers these days?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

C-Euro posted:

I think the set is good but WAR, MH1, and ELD (and to a lesser extent M20) is an absolute murderer's row to follow. Probably for the best if THB is "just" decently powerful.

In addition to this iirc everybody pooped on OG Theros block for being weak except for thought seize and was immediately pimp slapped by devotion strats running nykthos, the UW heroic deck, and the silly rear end powerful RG monsters decks. I don't remember how fast these decks formed or in what order but I remember spoiler season being grumbly followed by a whole season of great, varied decks that were all p strong and standard being pretty good overall

Full disclosure I bought mono B devotion super early because Timmy was at the wheel and boy did little 1994 me love B. So I lucked out having a t1 deck for the rotation and having to face Mono U devotion as any other deck I heard was pretty heinous and miserable so your mileage back then may have varied to be fair

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Jabor posted:

It also... just doesn’t make sense? Like that’s not what that phrase means or is used for? Gerry and Brian are friends with Emma and just wanted to support her, they didn’t ask Emma to do some expensive job for them for free in the hopes that she’d get her name out there.

A few months ago Gerry dropped out from a draft at 1-0 and Brian started a rumor (as a joke) that Gerry got into a fist fight with Cedric and magic Twitter was like “I totally believe that, Cedric is an rear end in a top hat!” and Brian had to walk it back. Is Cedric a Heel? He doesn’t seem that good at magic but I think his casting is fine.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jabor posted:

Maybe it’s a joke?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

TheKingofSprings posted:

Maybe it’s a joke?

Then he is using the form incorrectly. I'm not mad at him, he just seems to be more and more unhappy as time goes on. Maybe he would be more satisfied as a pro wrestler, it is a mystery

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Just :lol: at having a card game as your real full time job, streaming I sort of get but that’s also something that can just evaporate with times changing.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
lol at judging people for what they do for a living

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Maybe it’s a joke?

During I believe the invitational, he laughed about firing writers and followed it up very sincerely by expressing how exposure is payment, so no, it's probably not.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Star Man posted:

lol at judging people for what they do for a living

:emptyquote:

Capitalism has enslaved your psyche if you believe otherwise.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Lots of respect for anyone who makes money off of Magic and doesn't work for Wizards or is an #mtgfinance binder grinder.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
there is actual video coverage of a Grand PrixMagic Fest happening on the CFB twitch channel right now.

I thought all those had been killed by WOTC.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
As long as the Prof can pay his bills and keep his kid happy, healthy and fully clothed then yeah maximum respect. I get nervous at the idea of grown people with families trying to support their children via YouTube, a completely unregulated media outlet with virtually no oversight, and no incentive to care for its content creators. They have no benefits and no insurance. I don’t know what the Prof’s partner does, but I trust that he wouldn’t jeopardize his child’s future to make funny videos about trading cards.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

MrBling posted:

there is actual video coverage of a Grand PrixMagic Fest happening on the CFB twitch channel right now.

I thought all those had been killed by WOTC.

You should link these things because there's always a thousand people who can't figure it out.

https://www.twitch.tv/channelfireball

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Bring to Light -> Niz Mizzet vs Warp World is the kind of modern I want to see.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bust Rodd posted:

As long as the Prof can pay his bills and keep his kid happy, healthy and fully clothed then yeah maximum respect. I get nervous at the idea of grown people with families trying to support their children via YouTube, a completely unregulated media outlet with virtually no oversight, and no incentive to care for its content creators. They have no benefits and no insurance. I don’t know what the Prof’s partner does, but I trust that he wouldn’t jeopardize his child’s future to make funny videos about trading cards.

Lol I think about this all the time. At some point the FCC is gonna come down on the likes of YouTube and Twitch and all those streamers and content creators will be the ones to pay the price.

Hell, with the adult content thing that the FCC imposed on YouTube, it's happening already

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Just tuned in and some guy is playing "warp world". What a trip.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

TheKingofSprings posted:

Maybe it’s a joke?
Exactly, it’s lame attempt at a baiting/trolling thread on social media to get people riled up and it did exactly that. All the people involved work together and attend events together.

Saucer Crab posted:

During I believe the invitational, he laughed about firing writers and followed it up very sincerely by expressing how exposure is payment, so no, it's probably not.
I find this hard to believe, what round is this from?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Playing Magus of the Moon in your 5 colour Bring to Light deck is a galaxy brain move.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Gerry T in the comments of that Cedric tweet continuing to be one of the best voices in magic

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Maybe it’s a joke?

Nah hes pretty openly a bootstraps libertarian moron who doesnt realize that hes the exception and not the rule

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Apparently there's going to be a deck tech with warp world guy. and warp world guy is what they called him on stream. I'm excited for the madness.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Cedric is a good commentator that is toxic as gently caress to work with.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

MrBling posted:

Playing Magus of the Moon in your 5 colour Bring to Light deck is a galaxy brain move.

The guy on Niv in that match is a fellow supporter of ShaneB's podcast!

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Sickening posted:

Cedric is a good commentator that is toxic as gently caress to work with.

Yeah it's a shame he has to be this way because he really is one of the very best

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Really like seeing some random decks on the gp stream as opposed to all the usual suspect meta decks

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ilmucche posted:

Really like seeing some random decks on the gp stream as opposed to all the usual suspect meta decks

Enjoy it while it lasts. It'll be business as usual by round seven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

MrBling posted:

Bring to Light -> Niz Mizzet vs Warp World is the kind of modern I want to see.

The first match after I tuned in was RUG Urza vs BUG Urza. Think I've had enough of that.