Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Today I learned to check what loving battalions enemies have on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I never bought the grinding dlc, so learning that it could become impossible to actually grind off is hilarious, but it's possible to screw yourself in that way in any FE game where grinding is not available through poor levelling. The 3H approach seems like a fairly sane way to limit grinding for people who prefer it being limited or absent.

^I learned the hard way a while back that a melee enemey with a ranged battalion might not have that calculated into the danger zone display, or their predicted movement\attack!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I feel proud of myself, just finished Blood of the Eagle and Lion in Verdant Wind without having to kill a single one of my kids. I went hard down the left flank, using Beleth to tank the catapult for class xp, and kept everyone well away from the Kingdom. When Dimitri and friends finally advanced, Dimitri ran ahead enough for Ignatz and Claude to chip away at him, then Lysithea warped Leonie over to finish him. Not a single Lion other than Dimitri even engaged an Alliance character in battle. Made the aftermath bittersweet rather than just tragic, but hey, Ingrid, Felix, Sylvain and Mercedes all got to live.

Still feel like poo poo about Ashe in Valley of Torment, though. And still haven't seen Annette, I don't think.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

What do you mean Rhea's supports are limited time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it only matters on church route

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I feel proud of myself, just finished Blood of the Eagle and Lion in Verdant Wind without having to kill a single one of my kids. I went hard down the left flank, using Beleth to tank the catapult for class xp, and kept everyone well away from the Kingdom. When Dimitri and friends finally advanced, Dimitri ran ahead enough for Ignatz and Claude to chip away at him, then Lysithea warped Leonie over to finish him. Not a single Lion other than Dimitri even engaged an Alliance character in battle. Made the aftermath bittersweet rather than just tragic, but hey, Ingrid, Felix, Sylvain and Mercedes all got to live.

Still feel like poo poo about Ashe in Valley of Torment, though. And still haven't seen Annette, I don't think.

Annette's probably off with her uncle.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

it did piss me off because when I did church route, I assumed I would get the church character in part 2 and so I figured I would be fine with a C support in part 1.

It’s even worse than that because you have specific windows to get each level.

I think it’s fine if the game wants to keep stuff “hidden”, like Rhea, the BE route split, paired endings, etc. but I don’t like that if you do miss something, your only real recourse is to play through this 40-80 hour game, especially all of white clouds, again.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The one good thing about doing VW/SS back to back was that I had bungled my way into knowing Rhea's time-gating in VW so could plan around it in SS.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

McTimmy posted:

Annette's probably off with her uncle.

That would make sense, though NPCs at the monastery afterwards commented that Gilbert was totally at the battle offscreen.

And not sure I was supposed to beat the Verdant Wind assault on Fort Merceus in four turns, but if the Death Knight is booking it for the exit I'm drat well going to drop two meteors on him in one turn and Warp Leonie next to him.

Warp is such a game-changer. I technically had it in my Azure Moon game on Manuela, but I never actually used her in battle. Lysithea really does live up to the goon hype.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Cythereal posted:

That would make sense, though NPCs at the monastery afterwards commented that Gilbert was totally at the battle offscreen.

And not sure I was supposed to beat the Verdant Wind assault on Fort Merceus in four turns, but if the Death Knight is booking it for the exit I'm drat well going to drop two meteors on him in one turn and Warp Leonie next to him.

Warp is such a game-changer. I technically had it in my Azure Moon game on Manuela, but I never actually used her in battle. Lysithea really does live up to the goon hype.

Well, Annette isn't gonna reconcile with him off Azure Moon.

If the Death Knight gets away the objective just changes to clearing everything out.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

McTimmy posted:

The one good thing about doing VW/SS back to back was that I had bungled my way into knowing Rhea's time-gating in VW so could plan around it in SS.

you should know where the cutoff is after your first run regardless of which it is

it's just that it doesn't particularly matter outside of that single route

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

you should know where the cutoff is after your first run regardless of which it is

it's just that it doesn't particularly matter outside of that single route

Unless I never got her supports at all in my first run.

Which is what happened.

Also I think you need C-support to get her paralogue.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

McTimmy posted:

If the Death Knight gets away the objective just changes to clearing everything out.

Oh, I was expecting to be on a ticking clock to kill him before he escaped. So much potential xp wasted... Spared Caspar, though, assuming he survived the ICBMs. There's that.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Oh, I was expecting to be on a ticking clock to kill him before he escaped. So much potential xp wasted... Spared Caspar, though, assuming he survived the ICBMs. There's that.

Yeah. Since it deliberately says that and all.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

McTimmy posted:

Unless I never got her supports at all in my first run.

Which is what happened.

Also I think you need C-support to get her paralogue.

Wow, I didn't even know she had one. I've never got a Rhea paralogue 200 hours in because I've never even tried to support her. Well then.

Cythereal posted:

Ugh god that mission, I tried so desperately to spare Linhardt but NPCs got him before I could end it. I've never felt more guilty even though I didn't care enough to recruit him. Now he's in my top 5. Speaking of:

1. Felix
2. Ashe
3. Linhardt
4. Marianne
5. Leonie

(had to bump Ferdinand down, sorry Ferdy. Pleased that my top 5 contains two characters I don't think anyone else had)

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

eating only apples posted:

Wow, I didn't even know she had one. I've never got a Rhea paralogue 200 hours in because I've never even tried to support her. Well then.

You'll get some mythril and the Shield of Seiros (somehow) out of it.

Rhea and Marianne I know for a fact require C-support. I've heard Gilbert and Annette do too. Claude as well, maybe?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

McTimmy posted:

You'll get some mythril and the Shield of Seiros (somehow) out of it.

Rhea and Marianne I know for a fact require C-support. I've heard Gilbert and Annette do too. Claude as well, maybe?

Yeah but you're going to get supports with your house or recruits if you want to or not. I just never bothered sucking up to Obviously Evil Pope. I'm still in White Clouds on my AM game, so I'll ply her with presents for a bit maybe, when I get back to it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I got C rank with her just by using her as a tutor.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you want to grind her support, just save all of your owl feathers and flowers for her

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
God bless you for being a predictable idiot, Hubert. Go ahead, you and the other siege caster both empty your Bolting casts on Flayn while Marianne stands one tile behind her.

This part would be so much thornier if the AI wasn't so easy to bait out.

Edit: Just finished the Verdant Wind palace mission.

You are so full of poo poo it's coming out of your ears, Edelgard.

To Claude: "You don't know Fodlan's past, I can't entrust you with Fodlan's future." Well no loving poo poo, you haven't said a goddamn word to Claude or anyone about what you know.

To Lysithea: "We should have walked the same path." You don't loving say, instead you chose to ally with the people who experimented on the both of you and start a war.

To Beleth: "Across this land, people are killing each other..." Yeah, in a war YOU loving STARTED. Don't act like you're a tragic hero when you start a war and get your poo poo pushed in by the people you thought you could conquer.

loving hell, woman. At least Dimitri knows he's a monster.

I thought I couldn't loathe her any more than I did when I finished Azure Moon. I was wrong.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 12, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Does your adjutant limit go up?

If not I guess I'm mainly looking to recruit as many people as possible and then bench them just so I don't have to kill them later?

I just recruited Dorothea and I read that I will need a high-Cha student to be a dancer, I guess she would work for that

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

adjutants get exp yea

you only need 13 cha for your dancer and you can train the person you choose to get 5 extra for free

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Does your adjutant limit go up?

If not I guess I'm mainly looking to recruit as many people as possible and then bench them just so I don't have to kill them later?

I just recruited Dorothea and I read that I will need a high-Cha student to be a dancer, I guess she would work for that

Yes but only to 3.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I doubt Edelgard had that much of a choice wrt slitherlads tbh

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

No but don't you understand, she's called the Emperor so she's clearly in charge of the whole Empire. It's not like they've infiltrated and taken over most of power of the Empire or anything, proved it by murdering most of the kids of the last Emperor and make it pretty clear that, at the current time, any direct moves against them would just be elaborate suicide.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 12, 2020

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Junpei Hyde posted:

Cyth never lets trivial things like reason or facts get in the way of a good outrage tho

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HenryEx posted:

Cyth never lets trivial things like reason or facts get in the way of a good outrage tho

She never lifts a finger against them, either, aside from promising to do so in her own story. Or tells anyone - even in Verdant Wind it's Hubert who points the Deer at the Agarthans. It's also what makes Edelgard's dismissal of Dimitri's grudge against her ring hollow for me - she knows or drat well should that Dimitri believes she's responsible for Duscur, yet she never tells him who actually did it.

And yes, I think it would be more moral to commit suicide than to work with the Agarthans given what they pull and that she bears responsibility for the war. She does, after all, defy them if you go Crimson Flower.

Hell, Claude and Dimitri both encourage her to surrender when she's beaten - Dimitri by that point having wiped out the Agarthans, and Claude shortly about to do so. She insists on fighting to the death.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

She does though, in the epilogues. Like, it's not a great way to end that part of the story, but it's there, it happens.

Honestly Edelgard's moral compass compared to the moral compass of other characters is a completely uninteresting line of discussion to me. It's probably the most boring possible lens to view the game through.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 12, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit: There's no point in continuing this argument.

I will say, when it comes to story paths about a radical change in Fodlan, I really like Claude's way: starting a revolution from the ground up. Don't go conquering or telling people what to believe, get people to start thinking and believing differently on their own first, and the rest will grow from there.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 12, 2020

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

It's true, Edelgard should have commited suicide to get what she wanted(???)

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

professor metis posted:

She does though, in the epilogues. Like, it's not a great way to end that part of the story, but it's there, it happens.

Honestly Edelgard's moral compass compared to the moral compass of other characters is a completely uninteresting line of discussion to me. It's probably the most boring possible lens to view the game through.

Well, it does kinda tie back to one of the game's overall ideas, that beign that there isn't really gonna be a 100% morally good side in a war.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

https://twitter.com/ujugn/status/1185952817241939970?s=19

Two households, both alike in dignity,
In fair Fodlan, where we lay our scene,
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life;
Whose misadventured piteous overthrows
Do with their death bury their parents' strife.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Junpei Hyde posted:

Well, it does kinda tie back to one of the game's overall ideas, that beign that there isn't really gonna be a 100% morally good side in a war.

Yeah, put in those terms it actually is interesting, you're right. It's just when it's viewed through the frame of "which character is better!" that it gets endlessly frustrating.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

professor metis posted:

Yeah, put in those terms it actually is interesting, you're right. It's just when it's viewed through the frame of "which character is better!" that it gets endlessly frustrating.

Annette has never sinned.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

oh this map with all these locked doors was pretty annoying! I guess this is why people say getting a locktouch character is a big deal huh

cams
Mar 28, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

oh this map with all these locked doors was pretty annoying! I guess this is why people say getting a locktouch character is a big deal huh
if you put a bunch of keys in your stash, byleth automatically has locktouch.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Cythereal posted:

She never lifts a finger against them, either, aside from promising to do so in her own story. Or tells anyone - even in Verdant Wind it's Hubert who points the Deer at the Agarthans. It's also what makes Edelgard's dismissal of Dimitri's grudge against her ring hollow for me - she knows or drat well should that Dimitri believes she's responsible for Duscur, yet she never tells him who actually did it.

And yes, I think it would be more moral to commit suicide than to work with the Agarthans given what they pull and that she bears responsibility for the war. She does, after all, defy them if you go Crimson Flower.

Holy poo poo I have finally found the worst take in this thread

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
She absolutely goes after them in Black Eagles White Clouds.

Flame Emperor says outright she wasn't responsible for Duscur. She blames Thales straight out was and he doesn't deny it (in Blue Lions White Clouds) but Dimitri laser-focuses in on her anyway. He thinks the 13-year-old girl is responsible for his parents' murder, rather than the uncle he thought it was all the years. Even when Dimitri "gets better" he still thinks Edelgard killed his parents he just doesn't go into a grudge over it.

Saying Edelgard should have just suicide rushed them at 13 is ridiculous. That would have given complete control of the Empire over to them and there would have been no checks on their power entirely. They would have won the war without effort and Fodlon would be back under their heel again.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Edelgard is rad cool and I LOVE HER SO MUCH GUYS