Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

HerraS posted:

Man I dont think a game has made me laugh so hard as in my second playthrough where I just waltzed in the middle of Rene and Gastons petanque game, picked up one of the boules and shotputted that sumbitch into the sea

a great example of passing a check not necessarily being the best thing, because you're acting without knowing just because you saw a prompt lol

I actually tried to but failed and then they complemented me on a great shot, I was so confused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I just finished my playthrough, and ooh man was this good.

While I loved the game I don't think I'd play through it again with different attributes, it just wouldn't have the same appeal to me as this first playthrough. I'm curious about some of the things I missed.
I'll spend some time reading through the thread but in case anyone wants to answer any questions that would be great.

Was there much more to the Deserter? It seemed pretty cut and dry that he was the one who shot the mercenary. I was able to find out that he also killed the former union leader. But there was also the fact that the Phasmid was there. I failed the red check approaching it so I don't know if there was any more information to gleam off of it there

I also wanted to know more about Klaasje, I was able to get her to point me to Ruby but I didn't arrest her (although I immediately realized that was a bad idea), she ended up leaving before the mercenary showdown which went spectacularly bad for me, I didn't have my gun and wasn't able to difuse the situation. I was wearing armor though and it seemed to protect me from the first shot. In the end most of the Hardie boys didn't make it but I think I might have saved Kim by warning him? I'm not sure

Then there's Ruby, I feel like I definitely missed some things here. After encountering her I was able to convince her not to kill herself by letting her go. But she never came up again, I don't know if she was still around and I just didn't find her.

And finally the Church: Other than kicking out the dudes trying to setup a drug lab there I never really got any more info on this "hole in the world". Was it connected to anything? I have a feeling it's related to this "pale" thing? I had no idea that this was how this universe worked until the Pines rep told me about it, pretty terrifying stuff but I didn't really get much more into it other than that.

edit: Some pages back someone mentioned a dice maker? I never saw anyone like that. Did I miss like an entire section of the map or something?

Also, if you didn't (I don't know if you get forced to) have a nap in the room in the place you visit after a boat ride.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Is there a point of no return?

I just spent the majority of Day 3 exploring the areas and tasks that open up across the canal and feel like its not possible to explore all of these side quests and have enough time to complete the murder investigation.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Yes. It is relatively explicit. I think Tutorial Agent even pipes up to say "You won't be able to do things with X and Y after this". Also it's behind a couple of checks that are mostly Have You Done Enough Sidequests.

EDIT : And as the next poster says, time is not an explicit issue.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

TommyGun85 posted:

Is there a point of no return?

I just spent the majority of Day 3 exploring the areas and tasks that open up across the canal and feel like its not possible to explore all of these side quests and have enough time to complete the murder investigation.

There is no time limit.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Kim will explicitly tell you when you're about to go into the point of no return.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 11, 2020

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

dead gay comedy forums posted:

before being called the cape of good hope it was called cape of the storms

disclaimer: I know jack poo poo about seafaring, I am just remembering stuff from history books

so basically most of the coast is rocks, then you have a narrow strait where you are relatively safe from the open sea, however, it is the convergence point of the southern atlantic and indian ocean currents, which frequently causes poo poo like 4m-5m tall waves at speeds around 50km/h one on top of another (that was a google)

so it is like get pushed to the open sea and lol you are done or be thrown into the land where most of it is jagged stone

Could also be wrong but I'm pretty sure you're also going against the trade winds as well, making the whole thing difficult to get through.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Animal-Mother posted:

Why is the Cape of Good Hope so hard to get around, anyway? Can't you just stay within sight of land? Do South African fishermen and people swimming at the beach routinely get swept away into an Antarctic vortex?

There’s an old game for the SNES called uncharted waters. If that game taught me anything it’s once you get far south of Africa the wind and currents become difficult and potentially deadly. You’ll need a carrack to safely get around Africa and into India.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
The 4 part Phasmid questline finished after I refilled the last trap and talked to the wheelchair lady one last time before she left the city. Never actually found a Phasmid. Will it pick back up at some point, or did I miss finding something?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

FistEnergy posted:

The 4 part Phasmid questline finished after I refilled the last trap and talked to the wheelchair lady one last time before she left the city. Never actually found a Phasmid. Will it pick back up at some point, or did I miss finding something?

You are fine. Keep going.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

I'm pretty sure you have to pay for the room before 9 pm. At least that's what Garte says.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

bobtheconqueror posted:

I'm pretty sure you have to pay for the room before 9 pm. At least that's what Garte says.

Yeah Garte says that if you don't pay before 9pm the system autolocks the room and he won't be able to let you in afterwards

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

bobtheconqueror posted:

Tarezax posted:

Yeah Garte says that if you don't pay before 9pm the system autolocks the room and he won't be able to let you in afterwards

Time does not advance anymore. Where should I sleep?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Time does not advance anymore. Where should I sleep?

No where. Honestly download cheat Engine and a disco Elysium table for it and cheat your money to 130.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
If it's day 2, there is no place, you're softlocked. Day 3 and after there's a place to sleep that's free of charge and always open.

Edit: Oh, it's day 1. Yeah sorry, you're gonna have to reload and pay before 9pm.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 12, 2020

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Tarezax posted:

If it's day 2, there is no place, you're softlocked. Day 3 and after there's a place to sleep that's free of charge and always open.

Edit: Oh, it's day 1. Yeah sorry, you're gonna have to reload and pay before 9pm.

gently caress it. I've already beaten the game, I don't need to restart a 3rd time.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

FistEnergy posted:

Are you asking if you are actually going to find fantastically improbable fantasy creatures?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

JawKnee posted:

Are you asking if you are actually going to find fantastically improbable fantasy creatures?

the 4th part of the quest says something like 'Discover a Phasmid' or something that would suggest a definitive conclusion, and it's crossed out but there was no actual conclusion. That's why I'm confused.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FistEnergy posted:

the 4th part of the quest says something like 'Discover a Phasmid' or something that would suggest a definitive conclusion, and it's crossed out but there was no actual conclusion. That's why I'm confused.

the woman went home, you've done all you can

in a sense you did "discover" it, learning the crucial place that it had in lena's marriage and history. it's melancholy, but that's not out of character for this game

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
A bunch of options in Disco Elysium remind me of a GDC talk about evil options in RPGs and how they often aren't there to be taken, but to be turned down. (Which is also why bunch of games have being evil being kinda boring.)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Tylana posted:

A bunch of options in Disco Elysium remind me of a GDC talk about evil options in RPGs and how they often aren't there to be taken, but to be turned down. (Which is also why bunch of games have being evil being kinda boring.)
DE is alongside Undertale and Planescape in the small handful of games that actually let you be a genuine piece of poo poo and make you feel bad for it.

Though DE goes with the approach of "fascists are a bunch of pathetic losers that alienate everyone around them" than the other two which go more for "you're an actual monster".

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 12, 2020

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Tylana posted:

Also, if you didn't (I don't know if you get forced to) have a nap in the room in the place you visit after a boat ride.

Thanks for this, I didn't sleep because I was assuming I was on a time limit or something. Now as for what I saw, I'm pretty sure that this isn't Dolores and this is the "ex" that keeps coming up, it seemed that way in the conversation at least.

I also edited my save before the phasmid encounter so I had high Electrochemistry and even when I "succeeded" in a roll it gave me an "Inevitable failure" anyway? So what exactly do I need to do with the phasmid?

It seemed like I was real far behind on attributes near the end. Another poster said they maxed out everything and had points to spare. It was like the complete opposite for me, I had so many extra slots available and so many points I needed to fill near the end for certain checks I never felt like I had close to enough (most of my checks were below 50% on a pass rate near the end except for a few like empathy/suggestion)

As much as it would be nice to figure out the whole church thing and experience it myself, I'm definitely not playing through it again to find out, it would just feel more like a chore to me and not at all like playing through the first time. So I'd be totally fine if someone could give me a rundown of it just for curiosity's sake.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Thanks for this, I didn't sleep because I was assuming I was on a time limit or something. Now as for what I saw, I'm pretty sure that this isn't Dolores and this is the "ex" that keeps coming up, it seemed that way in the conversation at least.

I also edited my save before the phasmid encounter so I had high Electrochemistry and even when I "succeeded" in a roll it gave me an "Inevitable failure" anyway? So what exactly do I need to do with the phasmid?

It seemed like I was real far behind on attributes near the end. Another poster said they maxed out everything and had points to spare. It was like the complete opposite for me, I had so many extra slots available and so many points I needed to fill near the end for certain checks I never felt like I had close to enough (most of my checks were below 50% on a pass rate near the end except for a few like empathy/suggestion)

As much as it would be nice to figure out the whole church thing and experience it myself, I'm definitely not playing through it again to find out, it would just feel more like a chore to me and not at all like playing through the first time. So I'd be totally fine if someone could give me a rundown of it just for curiosity's sake.

if you didn’t get the pheromone from the cryptozoolagists you can’t talk to the bug

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Is there a use for items like Postcards or are they just to sell? Also, is it possible to amass enough money to buy the lamppost?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Postcards are just for selling, and no. What would you even do with a lamppost?

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
So the first time I did the Tribunal fight, I failed it almost as hard as you possibly can. I was just absolutely terrible. It's been a while so I might be remembering it wrong, but wow.

I tried to shoot first, missed the shot, tried to shoot again, missed, didn't dodge, I think? Got shot. Everything was going dark. Kim was cradling Harry, and Harry was begging for forgiveness, for making the whole amnesia thing up. He couldn't handle living as himself anymore and just desperately needed to be anything but himself.

Kim, of course, knew all this the whole time. Kim warming up to Harry's memory loss isn't because Harry is convincing Kim. It's because, at least late game, Kim realizes this is what Harry needs. Harry survives, and the next morning, Kim goes back to pretending Harry has lost his memory.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hwurmp posted:

I am kind of curious what happens if you do have enough money for it. I imagine they must have written something for it because they had to know that people would find ways to cheat themselves money.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I am kind of curious what happens if you do have enough money for it. I imagine they must have written something for it because they had to know that people would find ways to cheat themselves money.

Edit: spoiler tags added if you care.

Someone posted a video earlier. You note that you'll need a truck to take it home, which you don't have the truck and don't know where home is. So the guy offers to keep it in his shop for now, and keeps the money.

No idea if it changes the ending.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 12, 2020

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

What would I do with a lamppost? What wouldn't I do with it? It's there and its available to purchase, thus it must be purchased. How can you not be the least bit curious what it does?

Unironically, one of my favorite parts so far has been trying to get into the armory and having Kim tell me to just accept the fact that I wont be able to open every door.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

Someone posted a video earlier. You note that you'll need a truck to take it home, which you don't have the truck and don't know where home is. So the guy offers to keep it in his shop for now, and keeps the money.

No idea if it changes the ending.

I asked if it was possible to purchase, not for you to spoil what happens if you do, but thanks.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

TommyGun85 posted:

I asked if it was possible to purchase, not for you to spoil what happens if you do, but thanks.

I am sorry I spoiled something outside the plot of the game that you can only see if you cheat.

Edit
For real. I'll edit it.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 12, 2020

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Roobanguy posted:

if you didn’t get the pheromone from the cryptozoolagists you can’t talk to the bug

Ah drat, I had the option to earlier but I refused because it seemed like that would just make me smell bad and not have any beneficial effect otherwise haha. I managed to find a youtube video of it though so now all I'm missing is whatever the revelation with the Church ends up being.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Ah drat, I had the option to earlier but I refused because it seemed like that would just make me smell bad and not have any beneficial effect otherwise haha. I managed to find a youtube video of it though so now all I'm missing is whatever the revelation with the Church ends up being.

I took it because I thought it would get me high.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

DarkAvenger211 posted:

the fact that you think that smelling bad isn't it's own reward is kind of hosed up imo

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Cactrot posted:

I took it because I thought it would get me high.

I thought it would help me attract *the ladies*.

It worked in that the phasmid is female.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

Tylana posted:

I'd say that the way RPGs are usually power fantasies extends to evil options, which convey that the player is 'powerful' or 'sexy'. What I love with how DE presents 'morality' is by stripping away the power fantasy aspect of it regardless of what you do.

'Good' Harry can't be Superman and neatly resolve everything, most of what he can do involves self-improvement or helping people in smaller, personal ways.

'Evil' Harry is a little man ranting about women and immigrants on Reddit.

'Neutral' Harry is mocked for not taking a stance, and it's usually pointed out that this is also a consequential choice.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Days later after beating this my mind still comes back to it. Especially the Deserter. What a character. Goddamn. I just got teary eyed thinking about it. What a ridiculously good video game.

Sankara fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 12, 2020

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Tylana posted:

Undertale as mentioned is the one RPG I can think of that does evil without it being mustache twirling cartoonish.

There’s a point in undertale if you want to go fully down the evil road you have to commit to attacking and killing a kid...(you are stopped at the last second but the player wouldn’t know that was going to happen).

It’s the only time I’ve ever hesitated in a game and I felt icky for doing it. YES TOBY I am a monster for wanting to see all of a game’s content.

Bottom line playing a real psychopath should not be fun but make a normal person very uneasy.

DE lets you be corrupt but not evil.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Gentleman Baller posted:

So the first time I did the Tribunal fight, I failed it almost as hard as you possibly can. I was just absolutely terrible. It's been a while so I might be remembering it wrong, but wow.

I tried to shoot first, missed the shot, tried to shoot again, missed, didn't dodge, I think? Got shot. Everything was going dark. Kim was cradling Harry, and Harry was begging for forgiveness, for making the whole amnesia thing up. He couldn't handle living as himself anymore and just desperately needed to be anything but himself.

Kim, of course, knew all this the whole time. Kim warming up to Harry's memory loss isn't because Harry is convincing Kim. It's because, at least late game, Kim realizes this is what Harry needs. Harry survives, and the next morning, Kim goes back to pretending Harry has lost his memory.

Hang on, what? Now I'm really curious if that's real or you remembering it wrong because I don't remember anything about the amnesia being made up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Reveilled posted:

Hang on, what? Now I'm really curious if that's real or you remembering it wrong because I don't remember anything about the amnesia being made up.

You can pick it as a dialogue option a few times. I did it during that instance, but I don't know if it actually leads anywhere if you keep taking those options.