Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you want from the chat thread in the new year?
This poll is closed.
Video games 100 14.08%
Not Video Games 46 6.48%
poo poo Posting 56 7.89%
Bowsette 128 18.03%
Polls 58 8.17%
No poll, How many times do I have to pick this? 53 7.46%
More General Horniness 103 14.51%
Less General Horniness 72 10.14%
Serious discussion of current issues 46 6.48%
Nothing. The thread is perfect the way it is :) 48 6.76%
Total: 294 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

wuggles posted:

I just use the sword and shield in MHW. Am I stupid?

sns is cool and good, but tbh if you're not paralyzed by indecision over which weapon to take out next, you're not playing MHW right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hammer > Lance > Great Sword > Hunting Horn > SnS > Gunlance > Charge Blade > Switch Axe > Insect Glaive > Dual Blades > Bow > Long Sword > LGB = HBG

don't @ me

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I guess I need to spend some time playing with the other weapons. I have a bad habit in games of finding what I like and sticking with it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i need to stop getting derailed from playing "normal" games by buying games which encourage you to play for 5000 hours also in related news I got disgaea on the switch

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CB > SA > GL > H > GS > HH > IG > L > S&S > DB > B > LS > HBG > LBG

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jay Rust posted:

CB > SA > GL > H > GS > HH > IG > L > S&S > DB > B > LS > HBG > LBG

legitimately thought this was a Pokémon series ranking for a moment

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Rarity posted:

Should I be concerned that apart from Gay Heather all the characters in the running for Best Girl are the cat/wolfgirls? :thunkher:
What about Titania?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Accordion Man posted:

What about Titania?

I have not met a Titania but if the first three letters of her name are any indication we're going to get along great.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

sns is cool and good, but tbh if you're not paralyzed by indecision over which weapon to take out next, you're not playing MHW right

that'd be a fun problem to have considering the reason i stuck with two weapons or so the whole game was because in order to try new ones you essentially had to start building a new weapon tree from scratch

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

that'd be a fun problem to have considering the reason i stuck with two weapons or so the whole game was because in order to try new ones you essentially had to start building a new weapon tree from scratch

That's just an excuse to fight more monsters

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I've played maybe 400 hours of Monster Hunter and used I think 3 weapons for 95% of that

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Help Im Alive posted:

I've played maybe 400 hours of Monster Hunter and used I think 3 weapons for 95% of that

Same but 25 hours and 95% of the weapons

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I have played 200ish hours of lance and I still stumble on new things I never really tried before.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

I try to learn a new weapon properly every new game/expansion

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cowcaster posted:

my brain and I enjoy ticking boxes and making progress, so clearing through weapon trees isn't arduous

until you need gems anyway argh

Andrast posted:

That's just an excuse to fight more monsters
also this, going back and chumping barroth etc is always a good time

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

so, the devs released the VVVVVV source code on github

some of y'all are programmers so i'm just going to leave this here without further comment
https://twitter.com/terrycavanagh/status/1215666724835475456?s=20

It's good to know that a well regarded game is programmed exactly as well as I could do it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Instead of noting that you can make more or less of the same recipe by varying the amount of ingredients while keeping the proportions the same, publish a novel-sized cookbook with 500 copies of the same cake recipe, in quantities from "one cupcake" to "large wedding"

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Also each recipe page is accompanied with a photo of the resulting food item. If you flip through it you can see it grow!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I’ve beaten all Dark Souls games with longsword/broadsword. I’m the scrubbiest.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I looked up the different kinds of monster hunter weapons, does world still have all of them or did they drop a few types? I don't remember seeing anybody talk about tonfas or magnet striker or whatever that one is called. Then there is one that I guess was introduced in a mobile game, an accel axe, so I don't know how that one is supposed to work.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ymgve posted:

I’ve beaten all Dark Souls games with longsword/broadsword. I’m the scrubbiest.

the only scrubs are the ones not having any fun

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rarity posted:

I'm starting to have the problem in Radiant Dawn where I have too many great characters and I can't bring all of them to the map. In related news the Black Knight is completely loving broken.

Rarity posted:

Radiant Dawn Part 2: Well it was cool that I got to spend all that time getting attached to my characters cause now I'm starting over with a whole new crew I guess??

Radiant Dawn is kinda hosed up with recruitment. It constantly shuffles your team around and constantly throws new, busted units at you. It's not unrealistic to say that the optimal team is almost always just the set of units you've recruited most recently, especially in part one

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FirstAidKite posted:

I looked up the different kinds of monster hunter weapons, does world still have all of them or did they drop a few types? I don't remember seeing anybody talk about tonfas or magnet striker or whatever that one is called. Then there is one that I guess was introduced in a mobile game, an accel axe, so I don't know how that one is supposed to work.

It has them all, except cat if you count that.

Tonfas, the magnet thing, and some other third one are trappedexclusive to the MMO, which is a huge shame.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Ciaphas posted:

so, the devs released the VVVVVV source code on github

some of y'all are programmers so i'm just going to leave this here without further comment
https://twitter.com/terrycavanagh/status/1215666724835475456?s=20

Wow I can't believe White Dragon learned from the best

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

watching some of the weird poo poo that people have done to SNES games at GDQ this year I think someone should make a mod where it's Super Mario World's world map, but instead of the levels from Super Mario World each space is a random level from a pool of every SNES platformer ever, from SMW to Cool Spot to Bubsy to Aladdin and everything in between.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

cheetah7071 posted:

Radiant Dawn is kinda hosed up with recruitment. It constantly shuffles your team around and constantly throws new, busted units at you. It's not unrealistic to say that the optimal team is almost always just the set of units you've recruited most recently, especially in part one

No kidding, I just got used to Lucia and her crew and now it's switched over to someone completely different entirely! :argh:

e: Oh Astrid. Girl. Ain't no man worth putting up with this much for. You can do better.

Rarity fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 11, 2020

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
how much open space does a ps4 or a ps3 need? My new tv space is set up this way with a cabinet:

the ps3 is above right under the tv and i think it's fine since it's open in front and in the back, but I haven't played it yet

but the ps4 is below it, I can open the glass doors but not the back, I played one hour with everything closed and it was like a oven inside.
would playing with doors open in the front be open enough?

how is it set up at your place? at my old place it was on the ground but here's its carpeted

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

No kidding, I just got used to Lucia and her crew and now it's switched over to someone completely different entirely! :argh:

e: Oh Astrid. Girl. Ain't no man worth putting up with this much for. You can do better.

he's her dealer

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

how much open space does a ps4 or a ps3 need? My new tv space is set up this way with a cabinet:

the ps3 is above right under the tv and i think it's fine since it's open in front and in the back, but I haven't played it yet

but the ps4 is below it, I can open the glass doors but not the back, I played one hour with everything closed and it was like a oven inside.
would playing with doors open in the front be open enough?

how is it set up at your place? at my old place it was on the ground but here's its carpeted

have you checked your ps4 for bugs recently

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Looper posted:

have you checked your ps4 for bugs recently

never opened this bad boy, five years on

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The bugs actually make it run faster, it's the secret of the ps4 pro's extra power - there's not even any electronics in there

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

didn't know ulillillia wrote vvvvvv

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

homeless snail posted:

didn't know ulillillia wrote vvvvvv

uvivvivvia

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

imagine if you needed to do an additional thing when adding a new feature and had to update all 300 copy-pasted cases

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Whoops, added a new level in the middle, gotta update 300 case values and indexes

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am glad that the developer felt confident enough to release the source (you know, after shipping a hugely profitable and popular game helps) knowing that it would probably get dragged hard lol

Every piece of media is held together with twine behind the curtain, that's why there's a curtain

Here's another example
https://twitter.com/chubigans/status/1215804925734604800?s=19

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Made a little progress in Witcher3. Level 17 or so, looking for a Barge to get to Skellege. Thoughts:

* combat makes more sense now. It's basically Shield Up, Dodge, attack, dodgeback, shield up as needed. Not too deep.

* took me forever to realize you just need to synthesize the bombs, potions and oils once and they get re-upped after you meditate.

* the writers really like to remind you later on that the 'nice guy' choices you make probably won't work out in the typical rpg happy end thing.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My friend showed me his new laptop. This is the bios’ splash screen

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that's right I'm a gamer republican

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jay Rust posted: