Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

maffew buildings posted:

I don't eat MREs they're trash I brought enough jerky and monster. Water tastes awful I'm just drinking monster.

*falls out a day later, needs helicopter evac*

Show of hands who has seen that one as well

On my first deployment a guy got scurvy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

e: ^^^^ :stare:

Wow someone loves terrorism

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

On my first deployment a guy got scurvy

hahahaha, wtf. how?

:edit: like, I understand the mechanics of the disease enough to know that it takes a month of no Vitamin C before it sets in. Did they just not eat anything that remotely resembled fruit or veggies? That sounds like so much effort.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Wasn't wearing green socks

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Brute Squad posted:

hahahaha, wtf. how?

:edit: like, I understand the mechanics of the disease enough to know that it takes a month of no Vitamin C before it sets in. Did they just not eat anything that remotely resembled fruit or veggies? That sounds like so much effort.

Their diet wasn't great before the deployment began. Then it got worse.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ElMaligno posted:

another 6.0 just hit puerto rico, family is ok.

Glad they're still doing ok. Hopefully the island doesn't flip over.

Edit: :lol: scurvy jfc

Godholio fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 11, 2020

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

Whatever you do, don't throw them to the Iraqi children. You'll only make more terrorists

So I guess I should stop showing them how to make MRE bombs, huh?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

Mr. Lowtax is helping me find my pistol.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I do not get it

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Godholio posted:

Edit: :lol: scurvy jfc

Did this scurvy infected troop end up staying in? Because that sounds like a lifer.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Eulogistics posted:

So I guess I should stop showing them how to make MRE bombs, huh?

What’s so hard about eating one?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

LingcodKilla posted:

What’s so hard about eating one?

MRE bombs or Iraqi children?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Are..they actually handling this kind of the 'right' way?

In as much as one can for such a senseless tragedy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Thump! posted:

MRE bombs or Iraqi children?

This conversation is becoming unpalatable.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah I'm really surprised and impressed. It's the opposite of how the Russians handled MH17 and how the US handled the Vincennes.

Am I pissed that 58 of my fellow citizens are dead? Yes.

Would it have happened if burgerbrain hadn't tried to start a war? Most likely not.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Trashing the crash scene still not good. Sure, mystery solved on blowing it out of the sky, but increased odds of misplacing or burying keepsakes, documents, or remains, I imagine.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I do not get it

It's a joke from Disco Elysium that probably doesn't make much sense out of context.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Even a broken clock is right once in a while.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I don't wanna read too much into it but reading that you kinda wanna buy that they feel bad about it, which is an impression I'm not used to getting off of a politician or general.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

Trashing the crash scene still not good. Sure, mystery solved on blowing it out of the sky, but increased odds of misplacing or burying keepsakes, documents, or remains, I imagine.

Oh, yeah, for sure.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

EBB posted:

im corpse 4395

I'm the guy who's dressed up as the bachelorette party entertainment

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
He could be ordered to publically fall on his sword or he could actually be a decent man who is devastated by his mistake. Either way it's certainly different and better than the usual response since it accepts culpability and acknowledges what happened was wrong.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/CommieGIR/status/1216075942629707776?s=20

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

final paragraph posted:

Massey also has claimed in court documents to be a “sovereign man,” someone who is not a U.S. citizen and not under U.S. jurisdiction. 

They really buried this in the article

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Is that the step beyond sovcit?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Dallas News posted:

North Texas militia vigilante who rounded up migrants at border found dead after months on the run

Kevin Massey, considered a patriot by his supporters, was called a domestic terrorist by the federal government agencies he loathed

U.S. Border Patrol Borstar agent Dave Artz keeps watch on a group of 13 suspected illegal immigrants as a Blackhawk helicopter keeps a spotlight on the detained group found in the desert southwest of Tucson, Ariz., after a UAV Predator drone spotted the group with its aerial cameras.
By Kevin Krause

A North Texas militia member and vigilante who led armed patrols of the Texas-Mexico border and was wanted by federal authorities died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to law enforcement officials.

Kevin Lyndel Massey’s body was discovered Dec. 23 in Van Zandt County, according to the sheriff.

Pending autopsy results will officially determine the cause of death, Sheriff Dale Corbett said.

Massey, 53, went into hiding around May 2019, several months after being released from prison on probation for a federal weapons charge.

Officials had warned that his vows to wage war against the federal government made him a dangerous threat. Massey amassed a strong and loyal following on social media in which supporters praised him for taking a stand against federal authorities. They claimed he was a patriot who was being persecuted by tyrannical government authorities.

The family planned to hold a memorial service at 3 p.m. Friday at a funeral home in Greenville. Family members could not immediately be reached for comment. When reached by phone, Massey’s ex-wife said she had no comment. Massey’s former defense attorney said he did not know about Massey’s death.

Deputies with the Van Zandt County Sheriff’s Office responded to a 911 call at 6:40 p.m. Dec. 23 about an “unresponsive person” in Wills Point, according to a news release. The town has a population of about 3,500 and is less than an hour east of Dallas.

Deputies found Massey’s body in a “small wooded area.” Fingerprints confirmed his identity, the sheriff’s office said. The death remains under investigation by the sheriff’s office, the U.S. Marshals and the FBI.

The marshals have said that Massey, of Royce City, had most recently lived in Quinlan, east of Dallas. Federal authorities said Massey, who espoused anti-government rhetoric, had an affinity for heavy weaponry and was known to display an "alarming rage."

News of Massey’s death comes as a different border vigilante pleaded guilty to a federal weapons charge in New Mexico.

Larry Mitchell Hopkins, 69, was “commander” of United Constitutional Patriots, a militia group based in New Mexico that, like Massey’s group, also detained migrants at gunpoint along the U.S.-Mexico border. Hopkins was scheduled to plead guilty Friday to one count of being a felon in possession of a firearm. He faces up to 10 years in prison, according to court records.

The FBI said it visited Hopkins’ home in October 2017 after receiving reports of “militia extremist activity.” The militia had its “base” at Hopkins’ home, and members of the group were armed with AK-47s and other weapons, court records say. Hopkins, according to witnesses, said his militia was training to assassinate George Soros, Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, according to federal court records.

Massey, an electrician, was sentenced to 41 months in federal prison in 2016 for possession of a firearm by a felon, according to court records.

Law enforcement officials have warned about a rise in right-wing extremist activity in recent years that includes militia groups.

Although Massey called himself a patriot, the FBI considered him a domestic terrorist with “violent tendencies,” according to court records.

He was once found with 20 homemade explosive devices and other weapons and was considered armed and dangerous when he disappeared. His prison writings, archived online by a supporter, as well as his Facebook posts show that he fervently embraced right-wing extremist movements, all of which deny the legitimacy of the U.S. government and any laws limiting gun ownership.

"Defendant Massey is a man who calls upon God to end the lives of the innocent to gratify his anger," Assistant U.S. Attorney William Hagen wrote in 2015 in his unsuccessful attempt to seek a tougher prison term for Massey. "Defendant has called upon those who may share his misguided and misinformed views to take up arms in resistance against civilized laws enacted to protect the public."

Recent domestic attacks have involved young men with white supremacist views. Experts on extremism in the U.S. say militias are less lethal than white supremacist terrorists. But over the past 25 years, anti-government groups and white supremacists have been responsible for roughly the same number of terror plots and attacks, according to the Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism.

Massey gained infamy in 2014 for his activities in Brownsville as a member of a border vigilante group called Rusty's Rangers.

Prosecutors said Massey, dressed in military fatigues, conducted armed patrols with others on the South Texas border in 2014 to search for immigrants attempting to cross into the U.S.

The militia members, displeased with U.S. border enforcement, said they took matters into their own hands after obtaining permission to access private property. Their makeshift "Camp Lonestar” on rural land served as a “staging area for their patrols,” according to a federal search warrant application.

Massey routinely videotaped his border activities and posted them on Facebook, court records say. He would later say on Facebook that he had the power of citizen’s arrest. In Facebook posts, Massey described detaining immigrants at gunpoint and binding their wrists with zip ties.

He vowed to remain at the border until regulators "sealed the border or there's some sort of civil war," federal authorities said.

Massey also has claimed in court documents to be a “sovereign man,” someone who is not a U.S. citizen and not under U.S. jurisdiction. A Facebook page created for him called Massey a “patriot who served on the Texas border repelling foreign invaders.”

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

So the shootdown was apparently because the battery commander could not raise HHQ, and could not determine what the aircraft was and everyone was on edge, and claims that there was 10s before the aircraft was out of range of his battery, and he made the call to fire. So basically what everyone kinda figured, a communications breakdown in a high stress environment. That battery commander is probably on suicide watch though i'd bet, once someone told him what he shot down.

Dude's gonna be reliving that order for the rest of his life :smith:

orange juche fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 11, 2020

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Stravag posted:

Is that the step beyond sovcit?

Nah it's the same thing.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

If you want to follow a expert on extremist wackjobs, JJ McNab is top tier.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jjmacnab

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I don't think theres is a suicide watch long enough to keep that guy alive tbh

Edit: the battery commander

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I typed out a really long post but then I thought better of it. All I'm gonna say is get help if you need it.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Wait I’m confused. If you hate the federal government and are a sovereign citizen, then why are you enforcing a nation who you don’t recognize the legitimacy of border?

I mean I know the answer is racism, but that’s just an extra step of stupid.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

orange juche posted:

So the shootdown was apparently because the battery commander could not raise HHQ, and could not determine what the aircraft was and everyone was on edge, and claims that there was 10s before the aircraft was out of range of his battery, and he made the call to fire. So basically what everyone kinda figured, a communications breakdown in a high stress environment. That battery commander is probably on suicide watch though i'd bet, once someone told him what he shot down.

Dude's gonna be reliving that order for the rest of his life :smith:

Yeah I am saddened that innocent people were killed but more death won't bring anyone back.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Glenn is having a normal day, and he’s not mad, you’re mad! :qq:

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1216052596819025920?s=21

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Wait I’m confused. If you hate the federal government and are a sovereign citizen, then why are you enforcing a nation who you don’t recognize the legitimacy of border?

I mean I know the answer is racism, but that’s just an extra step of stupid.

Racism is not smart

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Most of the Sovcit/Libertarian stuff appeals to people on pseudointellectual levels: Trying to sound smart to attract people that normally wouldn't fall for it, and then they get drawn into racism and other things that are keystone to a lot of these movements.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You're better off taking someone seriously at Roswell Fest than any sovcit.

Different kind of alien brings a better quality of crazy.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The Valley Stared posted:

Guys, I only have omelet MRE's left. Anyone willing to trade?

Also, my ship has an unexpectedly large hole in it. Maybe the other ship that's sticking out of our side has something to do with it.

I thought someone was stealing my schtick for a minute

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I thought someone was stealing my schtick for a minute

Anything you can do, she can do better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007