Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Maybe Nighteye was right. Maybe Mirio should've been the protagonist.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
*Manga Spoilers Were Here*

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 7, 2020

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Mirio basically had an entire manga's worth of Main Character Arc. There's basically nowhere for him to go. He lacked that "are you insane" x-factor All Might and Deku have which caused a moral failing (with good intentions), then he did what it took to make up for it and paid the piper.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Deku has a character trait other than "Is nice" and "Breaks bones"! Several! "Hero otaku", "Can't talk to girls without getting flustered", "Wants his friends to do their best", "Feels like he's not living up to the faith All Might placed in him", "Wants to be friends with Bakugou despite his disposition"...

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The thing with deku is that his core character trait outside of his almost suicidal desire to be a hero is his insanely analytical thought process about quirks and almost encyclopedic knowledge of heroes, which are both interesting hooks but really hard to write well, even when the writer isn't currently dying from Shonen Jump Crunch

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The thing with deku is that his core character trait outside of his almost suicidal desire to be a hero is his insanely analytical thought process about quirks and almost encyclopedic knowledge of heroes, which are both interesting hooks but really hard to write well, even when the writer isn't currently dying from Shonen Jump Crunch

It also doesn't help when your opponents are total unknowns with quirks you don't know the limitations of.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Having the protagonist's gimmick be his vast knowledge of different types of quirk, the specifics of how they function, common weaknesses and limitations and stuff would be really cool if fights had just a smidge more Hunter x Hunter or Jojo to them rather than "I'm gonna hit him REALLY HARD this time!"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Having the protagonist's gimmick be his vast knowledge of different types of quirk, the specifics of how they function, common weaknesses and limitations and stuff would be really cool if fights had just a smidge more Hunter x Hunter or Jojo to them rather than "I'm gonna hit him REALLY HARD this time!"
I think this is part of the difficulty in relatively one note powers.

If you've got a straight up powerful quirk like Bakugou's or One For All- you have to get pretty creative at stretching what they can do or you get really boring and straightforward at some point- or give them enemies that are ridiculously powerful or versatile.

If you have a quirk with less direct power you have to be just as creative because it just won't work logically against some enemies. You eventually end up with poo poo like the superfriends where Superman is just melting an army of dudes with his eye lasers while Batman builds an elaborate pulley system to knock over one guy.

That's kinda why I never liked the original Batman Deku idea. At some point you'd have to bust out far more obvious contrivances for him to win- even lamer than "I'll punch EVEN HARDER!"

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Fabricated posted:

If you've got a straight-up powerful quirk like Bakugou's or One For All- you have to get pretty creative at stretching what they can do or you get really boring and straightforward at some point- or give them enemies that are ridiculously powerful or versatile.

Or... give them an enemy that has a power that isn't necessarily strong, but counters or nullifies everything their power can do (and not in an Aizawa way). I always thought that Bakugou's weakness would be that his explosions are wide-reaching, meaning they exert force over a larger area, and therefore he has trouble getting through armor-but then he used that AP Shot move, which was clever! Relied on real-world physics, made logical sense, has drawbacks but is still a useful tool in Bakugou's belt.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

...huh, we're already to Chimerasaki

Felt like it took longer for the manga to unveil him - the perks of Hori not being in the process of dying and the seasonal format, I suppose

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Quirkless Mirio did better against Chisaki than Nighteye and Deku combined. He's the real deal.

That said Deku is one of my favorite protags in shounen. Calling him boring is ignoring that a part of his personality is 'a loving lunatic without self-preservation instincts.' I'll admit he can be a bit bland sometimes but when he goes intense he goes hard. His fights vs Todoroki and Muscular are some of my favorites of all time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nephthys posted:

Quirkless Mirio did better against Chisaki than Nighteye and Deku combined. He's the real deal.

That said Deku is one of my favorite protags in shounen. Calling him boring is ignoring that a part of his personality is 'a loving lunatic without self-preservation instincts.' I'll admit he can be a bit bland sometimes but when he goes intense he goes hard. His fights vs Todoroki and Muscular are some of my favorites of all time.

which, again, happened when he was still detonating his bones with every attack (and were primarily interesting because of it)

don't get me wrong, midoriya's still a welcome departure from the usual shounen personality trifecta of "punch," "brash," and "stupid (or is he???)" but a lot of the kid's appeal in terms of story dynamics came from one very specific thing, and when it goes away it takes a lot of his uniqueness with it

it doesn't help that, as this arc helpfully demonstrates, MHA has a Bleach-tier Too Many loving Characters problem, and even though they're universally more appealing than Kubo's unending parade of stoic men in white uniforms, they don't leave a whole lot of oxygen for the cast that was originally introduced

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I broke my arm once, and it didn't suddenly make me interesting.

What makes breaking bones interesting?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Junpei posted:

I broke my arm once, and it didn't suddenly make me interesting.

What makes breaking bones interesting?

if you consistently break your bones on a regular basis knowing it's going to gently caress you up forever to save people

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The self sacrifice story dynamic and the limitation imposed upon the characters' actions, creating tense situations where he has limited "ammunition" that renders him helpless after use.

A person breaking their bones isnt interesting. A person who willingly breaks their bones every day is pretty interesting, because it says a lot about that person and it makes for good action where you can think about that person's actions beyond "oh he did a punch and then a kick"

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

A protagonist in a fighty show does not need to be super deep.

I mean, look at Goku

He just needs to be sufficiently cool and also be involved in really badass fights every now and then. Incidentally Deku has not had any good fights yet this season

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

Fartbox posted:

A protagonist in a fighty show does not need to be super deep.

I mean, look at Goku

He just needs to be sufficiently cool and also be involved in really badass fights every now and then. Incidentally Deku has not had any good fights yet this season

I haven't kept up with DB in a while, I've only dipped my toe in anime and I'm really outside my comfort zone in this part of the forums, but I don't know if Goku is the best analogy? The hook with Goku was the need to constantly improve and learn something new to overcome the obstacle, at least during the period I watched (Vegeta, Freeza, Cell). New threat pops up, he trains, he gets better, he beats it. Rinse and repeat. It was cool for a while, but for me, became boring. Naruto took it further and added in community. He needed to be the best, but he also needed to be recognized by friends and his community. It wasn't that he necessarily needed everyone with him in order to win the day, but he wanted them around and to help. With this story, they're also developing the community he exists within and how he fits (or doesn't), which I like. This season doesn't seem to have as many drawn out moments with it, but there were some small moments right after Deku met Eri, where he couldn't talk about the mission that keeps building on it his relationship with his peers.I have not read the manga, so I do not know where this story is going, I can only speculate, and defer to those of you that are much deeper in the mythos of the genre.

Deku is like negative Superman. Superman's development story was "How do I exist in a world made of cardboard?" whereas Deku's development is "How do I exist with this power when I'm made of cardboard?"

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah and that's ok. Him being a genuinely good person who comes from a background of being powerless + him trying to figure out his new powers and responsibilities is really all you need. But you also need good fights

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Just watched the latest ep, what the gently caress does anyone else feel like the pacing and musical score was just completely loving wrong for this ep? Felt like I was watching a ep of OPM s2

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Scarecow posted:

Just watched the latest ep, what the gently caress does anyone else feel like the pacing and musical score was just completely loving wrong for this ep? Felt like I was watching a ep of OPM s2

A One Punch Man crossover episode but not in the way I had wanted. Its like they took the idea of breaking up the breakneck pace of the fight from Deku vs Todoroki with flashbacks and then applied it at all the wrong points in the action.

But the consecutive normal punches was a great visual and i'm glad they cribbed it.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I was kind of confused as the score I usually associate with All For One was playing during peak super-Deku heroics, but then they had this dark, sinister, furious, all-powerful looking Deku show up and I realized, actually yeah 100% is terrifying.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 11, 2020

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
personally feel as though this episode and this arc have just been dog poo poo. Chisaki had good design but that's it. The endless flashbacks and monologuing. The pacing so far is bizarre, feels both too fast and too slow. The problem is that there feels like there are no stakes. Nobody died or seriously injured. New powers either boring or nonsensically overpowered. only good part of the season was mirio and he's crippled almost immediately. sad to see a consistently good show become mediocre. hope they can recover in the second half.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Didn't Deku punch all the meat off Overhaul? At the end of the episode he's back in Overhaul-Rikiya form.

Could've been a really good, fast-paced 15 minute episode, unfortunately they had to stretch it out into 24 minutes. Feels like that's been true for all of the episodes this arc, really.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I dunno, I thought this episode was pretty great honestly.

The anime definitely improved the Overhaul arc as far as I'm concerned since it got through it much faster but the manga version was pretty loaded down with flashbacks too so if people don't like that- it wasn't really going to change.

Really, what the anime needs is for all the best key animators to NOT BE DOING A MOVIE at the same time as the production of a new season. It happened last season and happened again this season. They scheduled this season very well so even without their best animators they kept everything looking pretty good/consistent but there's a lot of moments that could've used some punching up.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 11, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mirello posted:

Nobody died or seriously injured.

Nighteye has a rock through his stomach and Mirio lost his quirk.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Nighteye is also missing an arm if you look.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The pacing of this episode was weird as gently caress, yeah. It kept interrupting itself right when it was starting to build some momentum, and I honestly have no idea what they were doing with a lot of the musical choices. The directing and editing has just been really bizarre in general in these last few episodes. I don't blame it on the arc, either, I actually really liked this stretch in the manga.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nighteye has a rock through his stomach and Mirio lost his quirk.

They said Eri's power can be used to restore lost quirks.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Yawgmoft posted:

They said Eri's power can be used to restore lost quirks.

They also said she has no idea how to actually use her power, and it's not like Overhaul is going to share his manufacturing process, or that the heroes would subject Eri to that even if he did.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Fabricated posted:

That's kinda why I never liked the original Batman Deku idea. At some point you'd have to bust out far more obvious contrivances for him to win- even lamer than "I'll punch EVEN HARDER!"

Eh, I disagree with that. There is an entirely natural and non-contrived way to make theoretical quirkless Hero Deku keep up with the usual shonen power curve - pair him with Mei.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Really surprised at some of the takes so far, I thought this episode was phenomenal.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Second best episode of the season. Feels like basically all of it should have been sold harder than it was but it certainly wasn't bad

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Lt. Lizard posted:

Eh, I disagree with that. There is an entirely natural and non-contrived way to make theoretical quirkless Hero Deku keep up with the usual shonen power curve - pair him with Mei.

There's "keeping up with the curve" and then there's "breaking it entirely"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'd actually really like to see a recut of this episode that just tosses all the pace-interrupting flashbacks and extraneous padding dialogue, instead just focusing on the action. It'd be like 8 minutes long but it'd be a very worthwhile 8 minutes.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'd actually really like to see a recut of this episode that just tosses all the pace-interrupting flashbacks and extraneous padding dialogue, instead just focusing on the action. It'd be like 8 minutes long but it'd be a very worthwhile 8 minutes.

Ah, the first Naruto vs Sasuke Valley of the End fight treatment, where they kept interrupting the episode to show you dead Uchiha, where a fight that should've taken an episode or two instead took 5 (8 if you count the flashbacks)

Thankfully, the second one only took 2.2

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
In today's episode, the role of Izuku Midoriya will be played by Saitama.

PMush Perfect posted:

Sorry for jumping down your throat, I'm just so used to people being shits about Magne on social media.

It's cool! :)

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Yeah, Deku as a character doesn't offend me or anything. I don't dislike him. But he's also not exactly the most interesting to watch, even if I can't quite put my finger on why. I appreciate he's not another "Dumb protagonist who eats a lot, but says what he means and never gives up", at least.

Honestly, I find myself enjoying the side cast more than the MC. Mirio vs. Overhaul was more enjoyable for me than Deku vs. Overhaul (JRPG Forms 1 - 3).

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 11, 2020

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I think the editing wasn’t very good but the animation and VA performances were really great. Pretty good ep I think.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I really like that shot where Overhaul looks up and just sees Deku looming over him like the shadow of death, and he just has this "Aw poo poo." expression in his eyes. :allears:

Edit: This part!

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 11, 2020

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

That gave me strong Aeon Flux vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I really like that shot where Overhaul looks up and just sees Deku looming over him like the shadow of death, and he just has this "Aw poo poo." expression in his eyes. :allears:

Edit: This part!

I think the face closeups are what I really liked about the cut. I was expecting more traditional style Nakamura cuts where the detail goes down but the fluidity and background destruction goes up and this was a good choice IMO instead. They could've absolutely just went with the whole "yutapon cubes everywhere" thing but didn't.