Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

And the confidence she will gain will augment her psychic powers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
She's already seen Saitama take a full blast from Genos and Sonic at, like, point blank range. I think she already knows how strong he is and how little help he needs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SpacePig posted:

She's already seen Saitama take a full blast from Genos and Sonic at, like, point blank range. I think she already knows how strong he is and how little help he needs.

Also Bang and King casually strolling into his home like they're friends. There's a reason she keeps trying to add him to the Blizzard/Fubuki group.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

Also Bang and King casually strolling into his home like they're friends. There's a reason she keeps trying to add him to the Blizzard/Fubuki group.

actually if you'll look at her delusions i'm pretty sure she already thinks they're all part of the blizzard group

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Elfgames posted:

actually if you'll look at her delusions i'm pretty sure she already thinks they're all part of the blizzard group

I wasn't taking it too seriously because she seems to have a brain hemorrhage from blocking that laser but yeah, she does keep calling herself the leader despite no one really listening.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

SpacePig posted:

she's mostly just expressed constant bafflement at how someone like him can have such powerful friends, i don't think she's remotely aware that he's a god

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RareAcumen posted:

I wasn't taking it too seriously because she seems to have a brain hemorrhage from blocking that laser but yeah, she does keep calling herself the leader despite no one really listening.

I think the high seriousness and slower pacing of Muratas art makes people forget that all of these characters are huge goofs and view the world in very goofy ways.

Here's a few pages from the webcomic:

This particular sequence takes 7 pages in the manga.

There's actually a huge divergence from the webcomic this arc, and its really interesting to see.
(fun trivia: this was chapter 67, the same event in the manga happens in Chapter 123)

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 28, 2019

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I think the high seriousness and slower pacing of Muratas art makes people forget that all of these characters are huge goofs and view the world in very goofy ways.

Yeah, I just understood it to be a joke.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Good lord the difference between art skill is staggering after looking over those pages

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As a fellow lovely artist, I'll never not get mesmerized by how good ONE's composition/framing is though.

Imagine drawing a hand as poorly as he does and still making that last frame.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Elentor posted:

As a fellow lovely artist, I'll never not get mesmerized by how good ONE's composition/framing is though.

There's a reason pro artists got obsessed with his work. As far as I can tell he's a natural genius.

And now he can actually draw things without making everyone's eyes bleed. So that's a bonus.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Here's a few pages from the webcomic:

This particular sequence takes 7 pages in the manga.

There's actually a huge divergence from the webcomic this arc, and its really interesting to see.
(fun trivia: this was chapter 67, the same event in the manga happens in Chapter 123)

Oh, I totally forgot that the meat puppet was actually in the webcomic, I thought it was an original to this one.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chiasaur11 posted:

There's a reason pro artists got obsessed with his work. As far as I can tell he's a natural genius.

And now he can actually draw things without making everyone's eyes bleed. So that's a bonus.

Yeah I don't know a single high-profile digital artist who doesn't consider him insanely good. I know a few naturally good artists who don't get that, but they who don't have job experience and probably haven't had to deal with requests or do scenes and angles they're not used to. In this very thread someone a while ago mentioned that there's no point in reading OPM if not for the good Murata art, and while everyone is entitled to their own opinion it's really good Murata saw OPM past the crude imagery.

Murata is probably my favorite artist as far as mangas are concerned. Recently I finished Gantz and it bothered me how, through all the amazing level of details and CGI, the direction ultimately was still muddy, dark, and sometimes hard to read. Takehiko Inoue is fantastic but everything he does has a very specific look. Murata on the other hand seems like a drawing God, with a fantastic balance of every element needed and a ludicrous speed. Watching him drawing on stream is amazing. There's an insane amount of life and energy in, say, this:

I mean, he can even make Seiya look good. Of particular note is how he tried to keep the eye shapes - a very striking trademark of each artist - faithful to the original while improving on technical flaws from the respective authors (again, Masami Kurumada comes to mind). That's just a crazy level of technique.

But still I think most people overlook how this series doesn't have just one insanely good artist, but two, and when I'm talking about ONE I'm specifically talking about his drawings and not just his writing. ONE's storyboarding is insane. If I could draw anywhere as good as Murata I would probably feel unbelievably excited to be able to just make a polished version of what's already pretty much gold.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Dec 29, 2019

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Murata is the best mangaboi in the whole universe

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Zzulu posted:

Murata is the best hornyboi in the whole universe

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Murata is a Soviet designed manga machine that uses 10 liters of horny per hour and is designed to draw 3 pages but makes 10 instead.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Angry Lobster posted:

Murata is the best horniboi in the whole universe

Zzulu posted:

Murata is the best mangaboi in the whole universe

his true power is that he is both

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Elentor posted:

I love his composition skills, they are where his true strengths shine. That said, his technical skills are trash.

I dont really wanna see him get 'better' in that sense, cause I notice that the process of drilling to get to that level ends up driving a lot of the creativity away. I'm quite happy with Murata doing the heavy lifting while ONE does the storyboarding and plot!

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Parrotine posted:

I love his composition skills, they are where his true strengths shine. That said, his technical skills are trash.

I dont really wanna see him get 'better' in that sense, cause I notice that the process of drilling to get to that level ends up driving a lot of the creativity away. I'm quite happy with Murata doing the heavy lifting while ONE does the storyboarding and plot!

You can really see it in Mob Psycho, but ONE has improved a lot over the years. Especially comparing the beginning parts of Mob Psycho with the newer ones.

From chapter 1 of Mob Psycho:

From the final chapter of Reigen:

There's still jankiness compared to more "traditional" art styles, but in the newer one the jank is clearly part of the style, rather than genuinely not being that good technically. And the composition is still just as good.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ONE is definitely a good artist, worth noting that looking scrappy and off is basically his signature at this point too.

Sometimes he tweets things that are legit good

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i would like to see the things that he tweets

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ninjewtsu posted:

i would like to see the things that he tweets

https://twitter.com/ONE_rakugaki/status/1118185892584153088

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Murata did a redraw again. It's 123. https://mangadex.cc/chapter/780171/1

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

lol the comparison gif.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

A Single Sphink posted:

lol the comparison gif.

no kidding
https://mangadex.cc/chapter/780171/30

haha

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

A Single Sphink posted:

lol the comparison gif.

Flows much better now. Those breasts were really throwing me off.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
And now there's another new chapter as well, when does this man sleep??
https://mangadex.cc/chapter/781671/1

COL1A1
Sep 8, 2006

pik_d posted:

And now there's another new chapter as well, when does this man sleep??
https://mangadex.cc/chapter/781671/1

i'm the saitama extra sign

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Something feels kinda old-school about Fubiki's expression here. Like the old-man combo-attack was so powerful, she's briefly become an 80s manga. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I love that they roped some little minion into this poo poo. And saitamas >:] expression riding the cart lol

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Elfface posted:

Something feels kinda old-school about Fubiki's expression here. Like the old-man combo-attack was so powerful, she's briefly become an 80s manga. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

I can see it.

Rover is a good doggo.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I can see it.

Rover is a good doggo.

If you bad to doggo, doggo bite back. If you good to doggo and tell him to be a good boi and sit, doggo obeys.

Dog is good.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Finally Saitama has something worth living for, a rolleycoaster

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
With the monster association cleared out, Saitama finds his true calling: running an amusement park.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
It's insane to me that just the raid on the Monster Association is a story that will have taken years to tell over dozens of chapters (and probably multiple seasons of the TV show), all to cover events that take place over, what, like 2 or 3 hours in actual story time?

I don't know if this sort of thing is common in manga/anime by can't think of a precedent in any other story I've ever heard.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

there's a gambling manga (Kaiji? or am I thinking of a different one) that takes place over a single night in-story, but it's been running for over 20 years, and will likely never advance into the next day because the creator owns and thinks it's funny

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

there's a gambling manga (Kaiji? or am I thinking of a different one) that takes place over a single night in-story, but it's been running for over 20 years, and will likely never advance into the next day because the creator owns and thinks it's funny

Akagi, and it was actually finished.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Akagi, and it ended recently iirc

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It's almost cheating to bring up DragonBall, but the most recent arc, the Tournament of Power is a 50-minute last-man-standing event that lasts 34 ~20 minute episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Elfface posted:

It's almost cheating to bring up DragonBall, but the most recent arc, the Tournament of Power is a 50-minute last-man-standing event that lasts 34 ~20 minute episodes.